Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL AGM

I read with interest Mike Sampsons report in the Indy on last weeks AGM of the peninsula leagues. In general the leaqgues seem to be going well, however one paragraph on Mr Hiscox's report causes me concern in which he questions why some teams who are in promotion places fail to take the option of going up a level.He then goes on to say that Buckland have had 2 opportunites and Bodmin 4 to move up none of which have been taken. The worrying bit for me though was when he stated that no club has ever been and never will be forced to take promotion. Why? they play in a National pyramid system if teams in the SWPL don't take promotion soon they could be down graded undoing a lot of good work done by the powers that be.My personal view is that promotion should be compulsary otherwise soccer in Devon and Cornwall will stagnate.

I have listened to the arguments against promotion several times but always feel that the club who finishes top of the league should be promoted unless the ground is not up to the required standard.

Firstly, what is the interest for players, supporters and those running the clubs in being big fish in a small pond, winning the league (or certainly being in the top couple) year after year. Do they not want to try and compete at a higher level against stronger opponents?

Secondly, the league above SWPL is said to not be as strong. Maybe one of the reasons it is not very strong is that the good teams do not take promotion and therefore the league will never get any stronger.

I understand that there would be some cost implications for a promoted team in terms of travel etc. but surely, if teams took promotion on a regular basis in a few years there would be several Cornish teams playing at that standard.

Cornwall (and the South West in general) is not very well represented at higher levels but nobody seems interested in doing something about it and I really don;t understand why.

I have listened to the arguments against promotion several times but always feel that the club who finishes top of the league should be promoted unless the ground is not up to the required standard.

Firstly, what is the interest for players, supporters and those running the clubs in being big fish in a small pond, winning the league (or certainly being in the top couple) year after year. Do they not want to try and compete at a higher level against stronger opponents?

Secondly, the league above SWPL is said to not be as strong. Maybe one of the reasons it is not very strong is that the good teams do not take promotion and therefore the league will never get any stronger.

I understand that there would be some cost implications for a promoted team in terms of travel etc. but surely, if teams took promotion on a regular basis in a few years there would be several Cornish teams playing at that standard.

Cornwall (and the South West in general) is not very well represented at higher levels but nobody seems interested in doing something about it and I really don;t understand why.

i feel you have hit the nail on the head big fish little pond, are there any teams who will nail thier colours to the mast and state they want promotion, if a club did you may find a surprising amout of players looking to sign

For the readers' information - Parkway is the only club to have applied, when they finished runners up. The dressing rooms were unsuitable therfor no promotion. This has now been addressed by a lot of hard work and effort. I have no doubt we will continue to apply for promtion when the league psition allows us to do so under the rules.... full stop.

For the readers' information - Parkway is the only club to have applied, when they finished runners up. The dressing rooms were unsuitable therfor no promotion. This has now been addressed by a lot of hard work and effort. I have no doubt we will continue to apply for promtion when the league psition allows us to do so under the rules.... full stop.

At last, a SWPL Premier club with ambition, well done Parkway. Though as a Cornishman it pains me to say i hope you get your wish next season, maybe it will set the ball rolling and encourage the more "fashionable" Devon and Cornwall clubs to follow suit. :drink:

I don't like the idea that teams can refuse promotion, although I can just about see the financial reasons sometimes given. What really bugs me though is that with the same teams who do not want promotion winning the league regularly, where does that leave ambitious clubs who cannot break through to actually win the SWPL, or even SWPL E/W?

As a matter of interest, does anyone know which clubs below Bodmin and Buckland WOULD take promotion to the Western Lge if given the chance (I assume from an earlier post that Parkway would). Same question for SWPL E/W - which clubs would have liked to have gone up but were prevented from doing so this season?

Good point raised earlier, and one that I know has been raised with a similar situation re the Northern Lge - if clubs DID start taking promotion to the Western Lge, before long there would be a shift westwards, with travelling and costs decreasing as a result.

Is there prize money for winning the leagues etc? If so, why not withold the prize money from the team winning the league if they refuse to accept promotion. Or why not penalise them heavily with a points deduction at the beginning of the season if they do not submit an application for promotion, that way the more ambitious teams will stand a better chance. I know some will say that then teams will get promoted by default but something has got to be done to stop this log jam

Same question for SWPL E/W - which clubs would have liked to have gone up but were prevented from doing so this season?

Stoke Gabriel applied for promotion from East but finished third.

Champions Liverton didn't apply but their ground isn't currently up to Premier standard.

Runners-up Budleigh, whose ground is definitely Premier standard, applied for promotion but then withdrew their application on the last day of the season for financial reasons.

best wishes to parkway for nxt season, now this will become common knowledge i'm sure you'll have a good choice of players for the comming season, like a previous poster i am also cornish and would love to see a cornish club throw thier hat in the ring as well,

good on you parkway hope you get a top two spot :thumbsup:

From a very personal point of view, I would rather watch matches with teams in Devon and Cornwall, than against teams based in the Bristol area. Given the choice of watching my team Saltash United against the likes of Bristol Manor Farm, Radstock, etc, give me games against Bodmin, Falmouth or St Austell.

Also, why stretch the finances of our SWPL clubs to play further afield?

I would be interested to hear the views of Falmouth Town, Saltash United and Liskeard supporters, those clubs that have tasted Western Leage opposition in the past.

From a very personal point of view, I would rather watch matches with teams in Devon and Cornwall, than against teams based in the Bristol area. Given the choice of watching my team Saltash United against the likes of Bristol Manor Farm, Radstock, etc, give me games against Bodmin, Falmouth or St Austell.

I would be interested to hear the views of Falmouth Town, Saltash United and Liskeard supporters, those clubs that have tasted Western Leage opposition in the past.

But if all clubs that won the league over the last several years had taken promotion you would probably be able to watch Saltash play against those teams but at in a higher division and also alongside a few other higher placed teams from throughout the Westcountry.

The first couple of teams to go for promotion would be there on their own but as long as they hold their own in that league (which any winners of the SWPL should do) they would soon be joined by the other local teams being promoted.

For Saltash to play against Bristol based teams is only half an hour or so further than travelling to the far West teams such as Penzance and Falmouth.

Why would you? If your Saltash were top of Western League Div 1 and Radstock were 2nd a point behind,ag playing last game of season

against each other what a prospect. What celabrations when you win the match and the league. Alternatively as it is now play Buckland Bodmin Falmouth or whoever to win level 6 for 85th time. Not much of an acheivment in the grand scale of things. Try and regret is better than regreting not trying. Ambition ambition ambition Cornish.teams could and should do better.

Parkway intentions are for promotion to the Western League. Just think of the interest that would create with regards to Barnstaple, Bideford and Ilfracombe coming down to Plymouth to play games. Yes a lot of traveling involved, but that is part of the pyramid system.

With new changing rooms being closer to the pitch and Parkway finishing 2nd they will be accepted, plus they have FA Vase and FA Cup games on top.

Perhaps the FA could give a financial incentive for Clubs to go up, costs toward travelling for the 1st season.

Parkway intentions are for promotion to the Western League. Just think of the interest that would create with regards to Barnstaple, Bideford and Ilfracombe coming down to Plymouth to play games. Yes a lot of traveling involved, but that is part of the pyramid system.

With new changing rooms being closer to the pitch and Parkway finishing 2nd they will be accepted, plus they have FA Vase and FA Cup games on top.

Perhaps the FA could give a financial incentive for Clubs to go up, costs toward travelling for the 1st season.

Well said Hedgerow, i must say i am glad with such a positive response to this topic,strange though how the teams that have won the SWPL premier are conspicuous by their absence.

Would the attendances/funding rise enough for clubs to afford the extra travelling? I would like my club to go up if they won the league as that is what the pyramid is about but wouldn't want to see them get into financial trouble and struggle through games.

Would the attendances/funding rise enough for clubs to afford the extra travelling? I would like my club to go up if they won the league as that is what the pyramid is about but wouldn't want to see them get into financial trouble and struggle through games.

My thoughts exactly "hills19". Would the attendances actually hold up, would there be the interest from the supporters?

All very well pressurising clubs to "step up", but Saltash United, Falmouth Town and Liskeard Athletic have all previously made the "step up" and have returned by to what was the South Western League. Of the three clubs, Saltash United made the most recent "step up" to the Western League, but made a very quick return back.

I guess there will be several clubs holding their Annual General Meeting shortly. Perhaps it would be a very worthwhile excercise to advertise the meetings on here and invite supporters to come. The subject of "stepping up" could then be discussed. :thumbsup:

A lot of talk on this subject revolves around finances,yet the budgets some of the clubs pay their players are always being slated on here,so the money must be there.In terms of travelling,surely Buckland would travel less miles over a season in the Western League than they would in the Peninsula!Me personally,promotion should be compulsory,all this crap about ground standards doesnt stand up,the team is only climbing one step,does the ground really matter,most Peninsula Premier grounds are surely sufficient standard for the Western League.

This is the view of someone who actually played Western League (and higher) for some time with...Exmouth Town, Liskeard, Saltash and Barnstaple Town. Played against the likes of Tiverton when they were (at the time) fighting of relegation from the Premier to high flying Taunton Town and Clevedon Town.

Higher level football is lonely! You leave at 10am for an away game. You are accompanied by a handful of well wishers. You arrive up country and play against a very good team. You may win or draw or suffer a narrow defeat. Shower get a drink and a meal in the bar and begin your journey home. You would regularly get home at 9 or 10pm. All your mates who play local football are all out clubbing. Yes you can boast you play in a higher level football and get a nice wage but all your mates play exciting 'local football' that is given top billing in the local press and attracting big crowds.

Your home games attract a small crowd as supporters were initially curious when Bristol Manor Farm visited. But you can get a bigger crowd when Falmouth play the underdogs Dobwalls in the cornwall senior cup!

When Liskeard decided to leave the Western League due to the finances of travel and other things...I was at Saltash at the time. It would have been great to have the Liskeard players combined with Saltash and have a very strong team in the Western League. But alas, Saltash also made the decision to pull out from the premier division. The SWL league was in full swing and the Devon League was on the horizon.

So I agree with all stated in previous posting but when you actually play at a higher level it is not all that big a deal. Bideford first team left at 2pm on a Thursday to get to Andover for an evening game. Not sure if local players can always get time off work for these adventures. I believe they were home at midnight after the game!

This is the view of someone who actually played Western League (and higher) for some time with...Exmouth Town, Liskeard, Saltash and Barnstaple Town. Played against the likes of Tiverton when they were (at the time) fighting of relegation from the Premier to high flying Taunton Town and Clevedon Town.

Higher level football is lonely! You leave at 10am for an away game. You are accompanied by a handful of well wishers. You arrive up country and play against a very good team. You may win or draw or suffer a narrow defeat. Shower get a drink and a meal in the bar and begin your journey home. You would regularly get home at 9 or 10pm. All your mates who play local football are all out clubbing. Yes you can boast you play in a higher level football and get a nice wage but all your mates play exciting 'local football' that is given top billing in the local press and attracting big crowds.

Your home games attract a small crowd as supporters were initially curious when Bristol Manor Farm visited. But you can get a bigger crowd when Falmouth play the underdogs Dobwalls in the cornwall senior cup!

When Liskeard decided to leave the Western League due to the finances of travel and other things...I was at Saltash at the time. It would have been great to have the Liskeard players combined with Saltash and have a very strong team in the Western League. But alas, Saltash also made the decision to pull out from the premier division. The SWL league was in full swing and the Devon League was on the horizon.

So I agree with all stated in previous posting but when you actually play at a higher level it is not all that big a deal. Bideford first team left at 2pm on a Thursday to get to Andover for an evening game. Not sure if local players can always get time off work for these adventures. I believe they were home at midnight after the game!

Now here is a post talking a lot of commonsense. For those suggesting pressurising clubs in accepting promotion, please note.

Now here is a post talking a lot of commonsense. For those suggesting pressurising clubs in accepting promotion, please note.

We are talking about travelling the south west counties not going to Moscow or Bejing for an evening kick off.As an official i travelled to Paulton Rovers Yeovil Town Chard etc for evening games on numerous occasions in my ambition to get as high up the leagues as possible. I admit was some times lonely and even inconveinient at times,ask any sports person and they will tell you that sacrifices have to be made to reach the top. I can except players and clubs don't want to follow this route for whatever reason, so they should pull out of the pyramid and let the more ambitious clubs have a go. Maybe there could be a return of the county leagues of pre south western league days then the teams with no ambition could play in that.

i guess you wont be following saltash if they get promotion as i gather they will be applying to go up

There's an excellent piece by Phil Hiscox on the League website here:

http://www.swpleague.co.uk/swpforum/viewtopic.php?t=3281

Read Mr Hiscox,s comments with interest. If no club from the SWPL Premier chooses to take the "option" of promotion to level 5 say in the next 5 or 6 years would there be a chance the FA would remove the SWP leagues from the pyramid system.

i guess you wont be following saltash if they get promotion as i gather they will be applying to go up

Have I stated that? I do not mind stating that I would be disappointed with if "the ashes" made the switch to the Western League, but that is for those in power to decide.

As a St Blazey fan I would have loved to have seen us givin the Western league ago when we had the chance. I believe we had the team to win the Western league in the first season and go on but you have to question if St Blazey found their level in the same division as say Taunton, would the attendances be any better etc?

As it stands now, theres hardly any away fans from so many clubs in the SWPL. So to think any club will have more intrest because theyve taken promotion is wrong. With out doubt though, clubs like Buckland and Parkway have a great chance to make it work with their location.

Maybe a few making the step and maybe achieving some sucess will make others take the step up.

Just going off on a bit of a tangent. I see the Western League promoted Bridport who finished 3rd as Oadlands ground wasn't up to standard for their premier division.

OK different circumstances but a pity The Peninsular League could not have been flexible and offered Stoke G promotion

But as they didn't finish in the top 2 its irrelevant. NLS rules state this, not the league. It's a requirement across the non-league pyramid at this level, not just the SWPL.

As a St Blazey fan I would have loved to have seen us givin the Western league ago when we had the chance. I believe we had the team to win the Western league in the first season and go on but you have to question if St Blazey found their level in the same division as say Taunton, would the attendances be any better etc?

As it stands now, theres hardly any away fans from so many clubs in the SWPL. So to think any club will have more intrest because theyve taken promotion is wrong. With out doubt though, clubs like Buckland and Parkway have a great chance to make it work with their location.

Maybe a few making the step and maybe achieving some sucess will make others take the step up.

Without doubt, if a team shows ambition and wants to move up the pyramid, they will attract bigger crowds, that's just how it works. people become interested. Did Truro have the same amount of fans in the south western league compared to what they have now?..... IM pretty sure they didn't, people watch teams that are trying to be successful. I know its on a bit of a different scale but for example. Plymouth Argyle attendance whilst in league 2 was around 4000-6000, then league 1 7000 10000, then when they reached the champions they managed a gate of 17000 against Watford. this is just an example and way off the scale we are talking about, but its just shows you how it works. Truro on the other hand is proof

To be fair... we must all be proud of Truro's achievement. Lets be honest...it required a lot of money, determinination, desire and a bit of luck! We are in the realm of the local footballer who just wants a game of footy with his mates. In all honesty who really wants to see their team play against...Western league Prem...

Larkhall Athletic, Bitton , Willand Rovers , Dawlish Town, Bristol Manor Farm, Odd Down (Bath), Wells City, Corsham Town, Barnstaple Town, Radstock Town, Street, Sherborne Town, Brislington, Hallen, Longwell Green Sports Wellington and Welton Rovers year after year...and get stuck at this level (unlike the Truro vision) with dwindling support and players who couldn't be bothered....especially when they can get the same money for less travelling!

We have local players who after one trip to Porthleven are disillusioned and quote things like I have a young family! If a team really wants to do it then they should seriously sit down with Truro for a lessons learned report and copy their plan. It is not that simple stepping up.

To be fair... we must all be proud of Truro's achievement. Lets be honest...it required a lot of money, determinination, desire and a bit of luck! We are in the realm of the local footballer who just wants a game of footy with his mates. In all honesty who really wants to see their team play against...Western league Prem...

Larkhall Athletic, Bitton , Willand Rovers , Dawlish Town, Bristol Manor Farm, Odd Down (Bath), Wells City, Corsham Town, Barnstaple Town, Radstock Town, Street, Sherborne Town, Brislington, Hallen, Longwell Green Sports Wellington and Welton Rovers year after year...and get stuck at this level (unlike the Truro vision) with dwindling support and players who couldn't be bothered....especially when they can get the same money for less travelling!

We have local players who after one trip to Porthleven are disillusioned and quote things like I have a young family! If a team really wants to do it then they should seriously sit down with Truro for a lessons learned report and copy their plan. It is not that simple stepping up.

Boney, i admit moving up a level is not easy, but theSWPLeague are in the pyramid system, i would would say at level 6 your more of a career player than a hobby player. If clubs don't start taking promotion soon the FA will take away the opportunity. County leagues would help the less ambitious.

Boney, i admit moving up a level is not easy, but theSWPLeague are in the pyramid system, i would would say at level 6 your more of a career player than a hobby player. If clubs don't start taking promotion soon the FA will take away the opportunity. County leagues would help the less ambitious.

Would the thought of "County Leagues" be that bad if it came to that?

Would the thought of "County Leagues" be that bad if it came to that? unsure.gif

Not at all,i reckon someone should have thought of that before. Clubs could then apply to go up a level. No pyramid no problems :clapper:

Looking at it from another angle,what about the poor sods who got relegated from the western league.Say a club from the Bristol area came down,they would probably struggle in the Peninsula too,and would face a hell of a lot of travelling,they could be in Penzance one saturday and Falmouth the next.

Looking at it from another angle,what about the poor sods who got relegated from the western league.Say a club from the Bristol area came down,they would probably struggle in the Peninsula too,and would face a hell of a lot of travelling,they could be in Penzance one saturday and Falmouth the next.

Wouldn't happen though, they'd go in the equivalent level at Western League Division One.