Cornwall Football Forum

Massey's Mutterings - June 1st 2011

Massey's mutterings,

Steve, Having watched Barcelona against Man U,

I would like to know Why can we not play the same way, it was a game of simple passing by knowing where the man is when passing the ball,

in this Country we do not seem to be able to play the accurate game of passing the ball, only back to the keeper,

How many times did the Man U Players when they had the ball look around to see who to pass it too, the Barcelona Players most times did not have to look they new that there was another player there to receive it,.

Compared to their game of Football the English game is dull,

Some will say yes but look at Man U in the league,

I say yes look at how many overseas players the Prem League have, & you will find your answer.as to why teams Like Man U do so well in the Premier League.

Hammers :c::huh: :c:

In his rant of the week Massey fails to recognise that there is genuine concern about the level of payments currently being paid to players. These are not jealous, green eyed envious morons, (whatever happened to support for the respect campaign?), but people with a deep love for the game who think that the current level of payments is having a detrimental effect on it. This money would be better spent improving facilities at grounds and on initiatives to improve attendances. Massey is, of course, right when he says players have always been paid. However, if you go back 30 years just look at the attendances! If the current situation continues players will be paid expenses, but nobody will be watching!

Massey says that ambitious clubs / managers will always pay players. I see no evidence of these ambitious clubs / managers! I also don’t think that football at SWPL level should be regarded as semi-pro!

Yesterday afternoon Radio Cornwall broadcast an excellent interview with Glynn Hooper, the new Newquay manager. In the interview Glynn said that the current level of expenses being paid to players is ‘over and beyond the step we’re playing at’. He also did not link the ambition at this level with the payment of expenses. Glyn said “how is it that Redruth and Launceston Rugby Clubs and ladies football can play in national leagues, whilst paying minimal expenses, and we can’t? Finances need to be looked at” Hear, hear to that!

I, and I expect many others, would agree entirely with Glynn and it’s nice to know that there are managers out there who are in-tune with the genuine supporter. I wish Glynn all the very best at Newquay and, although not a Peppermints supporter, I might be tempted to watch a few games there myself next season!

Yesterday afternoon Radio Cornwall broadcast an excellent interview with Glynn Hooper, the new Newquay manager. In the interview Glynn said that the current level of expenses being paid to players is ‘over and beyond the step we’re playing at’. Finances need to be looked at” Hear, hear to that!

I, and I expect many others, would agree entirely with Glynn and it’s nice to know that there are managers out there who are in-tune with the genuine supporter.

Didnt hear the interview, so this may have been covered by the mangaer......

So this means that Newquay will NOT be paying the high wages that some players are wanting or expecting to be paid?

In his rant of the week Massey fails to recognise that there is genuine concern about the level of payments currently being paid to players. These are not jealous, green eyed envious morons, (whatever happened to support for the respect campaign?), but people with a deep love for the game who think that the current level of payments is having a detrimental effect on it. This money would be better spent improving facilities at grounds and on initiatives to improve attendances. Massey is, of course, right when he says players have always been paid. However, if you go back 30 years just look at the attendances! If the current situation continues players will be paid expenses, but nobody will be watching!

Massey says that ambitious clubs / managers will always pay players. I see no evidence of these ambitious clubs / managers! I also don’t think that football at SWPL level should be regarded as semi-pro!

Yesterday afternoon Radio Cornwall broadcast an excellent interview with Glynn Hooper, the new Newquay manager. In the interview Glynn said that the current level of expenses being paid to players is ‘over and beyond the step we’re playing at’. He also did not link the ambition at this level with the payment of expenses. Glyn said “how is it that Redruth and Launceston Rugby Clubs and ladies football can play in national leagues, whilst paying minimal expenses, and we can’t? Finances need to be looked at” Hear, hear to that!

I, and I expect many others, would agree entirely with Glynn and it’s nice to know that there are managers out there who are in-tune with the genuine supporter. I wish Glynn all the very best at Newquay and, although not a Peppermints supporter, I might be tempted to watch a few games there myself next season!

Pretty much summed up my views as well. I thought Masseys comments (although his own opinion) were completely against what clubs in SWPL actually need to do in order to take a longer term approach to the development and improvement of the whole football experience at this level.

Didnt hear the interview, so this may have been covered by the mangaer......

So this means that Newquay will NOT be paying the high wages that some players are wanting or expecting to be paid?

If you go to the Radio Cornwall website you can hear the interview on the listen again facility. It's about 2 hours 32 minutes into Saturday afternoon's sports programme hosted by Ross Ellis. Glynn Hooper also explains why he took up Newquay's offer.