Cornwall Football Forum

Budgets 2011/12 season- Disgrace

Once again, by talking to many players that I know, there is already some unbelievable wages being mentioned.

Same old teams Bodmin, Falmouth, Plymouth Parkway, Saltash, and others... Complete disregard to the standard that the swpl is.

I am sure that the league is only step 6 and players are getting paid in some cases over £100 per game. This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion and can’t understand why this is the case as it only happens in Cornwall/Devon at this step of football.

If you take a wage bill per game of £800 per game and average 42 games per season Inc cup that equals £33600 per season. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

It has been proved that clubs can’t sustain this over spending so is there any way that the league can introduce some sort of wage cap. I know a club in the swpleague had a player almost signed this week until Falmouth came in with an offer of treble what the other club was offering, this only makes other players want more and makes it more difficult to attract the best players.

I plead with the big spenders of the league to have a long hard look at the situation you are in. You are paying silly money to average players, for what.. Winning the league perhaps doesn’t make sense the prize money for this is £2000.00, Great!!!!

Max budget per team should be capped at £250.00 per game.. thats still stupid money at this level.

Bit of a a rant but this is turning intio a farce and we are being laughed at by all the othe teams outside Devon and Cornwall.

The league system down in this part of the country stagnates because of the lack of new players and new teams joining the league from further up the country. The bigger teams who often don't take promotion get stronger and stronger, they get more money and sign the better players and usually end up winning.

In the SWPL you have 20 teams with squads of let's say 20 each for arguments sake. That a pool of 400 players for everyone to pick from and if you are either currently the most successful or have the most money, then you have the best chance of holding on to, or signing the better players and therefore winning the league.

There's no competition as there isn't enough of an inflow of new players and teams to freshen it up. Teams who don't take promotion simply add to the problem and because of the location of the teams within the country, it's unlikely to change. You may get a few players from around the lower leagues and a combination of the older ones retiring and younger ones coming through, but it's still not enough.

In and around London for example (where I spent most of my time playing and coaching) you have such a huge pool of players to pick from across multiple leagues, so as there a bigger opportunity to get hold of newer players, play different teams and pay less money as you have so many to choose from. Plus they are much better because of the coaching infrastructure, facilities and level of competition.

A wage cap, although unlikely, is a good idea along with mandatory promotion and relegation would help the flow of teams and players and would therefore allow for a variety of teams to end up challenging as the monopoly of the bigger teams is broken up.

My friends from around the country are always astonished that players are paid so much down here, but it's simply down to location. The best way to win a 'closed off league' is to pay the biggest money for the best players. In order to change it we all have to try and stop to stop the league form becoming so closed off and making the issue of money the same for everyone.

Nothing wrong with level 6 clubs paying good money to win the league providing they are prepared to play at level 5,can see no point in teams winning the SWPL or any other league in the pyramid system unless they have the ambition to push on and at least have a go at a higher level. Just look back at the old South Western league and the SWPL Premier, and see the same old clubs winning it year in year out, probably costing them thousands,makes a mockery of the pyramid system, clubs should be fined heavily if they won't take promotion,possibly be demoted. No ambition no pride no hope. Better to try and regret than regret not trying.

Nothing wrong with level 6 clubs paying good money to win the league providing they are prepared to play at level 5,can see no point in teams winning the SWPL or any other league in the pyramid system unless they have the ambition to push on and at least have a go at a higher level. Just look back at the old South Western league and the SWPL Premier, and see the same old clubs winning it year in year out, probably costing them thousands,makes a mockery of the pyramid system, clubs should be fined heavily if they won't take promotion,possibly be demoted. No ambition no pride no hope. Better to try and regret than regret not trying.

I couldn't agree more about clubs taking promotion and relegation. You can see how bad it is when you look at the combo, Ludgvan sadly get walloped every year, where's the fun in that? They are great guys down there and I can't thank them enough when they helped me practice for my UEFA B license, but their confidence must be shot and who wants to play for a team that gets hammered every week? Surely they'd be better to drop down, rebuild and come back stronger. Pendeen came in and were a breath of fresh air and it's nice to see Helston take the step up too.

You know something's wrong when the gap between the top and bottom is so great, but again it's becoming a cut off league dominated by money with the same 'big fish in a small pond' players following the cash. You need to freshen up the league with 6 new teams every year (3 go up, 3 go down), let's hope the Trelawny league will hopefully make an impact with it's 6 tier set up.

The manager of a Cornish Peninsula League side has already said to his committee regarding the 2011/2012 season:

"Give me £800 a week and I'll win the league for you".

£800?? At the tenth level of English football!!!

Players at this level should not be getting more than £20 plus expenses per game. If they think they're worth £50 - £100+ per game, they should try out with one of the regions step 4 or above sides - Truro, Bideford, Tiverton, Taunton, etc.

The manager of a Cornish Peninsula League side has already said to his committee regarding the 2011/2012 season:

"Give me £800 a week and I'll win the league for you".

£800?? At the tenth level of English football!!!

Players at this level should not be getting more than £20 plus expenses per game. If they think they're worth £50 - £100+ per game, they should try out with one of the regions step 4 or above sides - Truro, Bideford, Tiverton, Taunton, etc.

Would Truro of got to where they are today without paying the money they did in the early days?

Note: I'm not anything to do with Truro! lol

There was a lot more money at this level of football, when say for example st blazey where winning things DanBlazey, bigger crowds etc.... Meaning more money to put back into the club, it's only now that you arnt so lucky to have the money that your moaning, if someone is prepared to put a lot of money into a club then let it be. It's there decision to do it. Although I do agree, I think every team should have the identical budget , say 300 a week. Unfortunately untill that happens, people are going to have to accept it. It's the same in every league from The Premier league right down, every team in the premierleague moans about the high amount of wages, transfer fees etc.... Untill they are bought out , for arguements sake Blackburn, and suddenly they offering players twice the wage because they can.

It always amazed me what players were being paid to play in the old s.w.league with such little (by comparison) prize money for winning the local leagues etc. Only a run in the Vase or the F.A. cup would offer decent prize money.

Nowadays, I really think that fewer and fewer clubs are spending money on teams and having to be more creative (not in a secretive way) to attract players to their clubs.

Also I think it is a generation thing that lads dont think that football is everything to them and have other interests and sometimes not really bothered whether they played football whereas 20 years ago lads lived and died to play football.

The fact is this, you will never challenge without the best players and to get the best players you need to have a good budget. It’s been going on for years and years and will continue to do so in the future. Finding the necessary monies to attract the top players is something that is difficult but achievable.

At the end of the day although it’s probably wrong to pay a player/s £50 plus per game.... But without a winning team, (as proved in the past with St Austell) you won’t attract sponsors and supporters to the club.

I respect the high paying clubs in the league as they must be doing something different to us at St Austell because we can’t get near some of the wages being mentioned at the moment, "More sponsorship required I think".

To the higher budgeted clubs please just be careful and make sure you can fully justify paying step 6 players over £100 per game. The minute one of you teams mention that you will pay a player this amount the word spreads and then every player thinks they are worth it... making it impossible to attract new players to the poorer clubs i.e st Blazey , penzance etc.

Regards

Money Man

Do you always have to have a sly dig at St Blazey???? for me, they're one of the best clubs in Cornwall, great big pitch, great changing rooms, great supporters, good bar, good stand and they worked hard years ago to get the facilities in place to be able to do that. At times Money Man you are as much a detrement to St Austell Football Club as much as you are a help to them. You do wonders in raising money for the club so don't let your belittleing (sic) of St Blazey ruin it for you.

As for the money, if the football club can afford paying it, then great, if the club is relying on "sponsors" to pay it, then that is going to come to an end pretty damn quickly.

I only heard this morning that one SWPL team got told that players wanted £40 or £50 a game, then told that another SWPL team has a budget of about £100 a game

Never intended to have a dig at St Blazey, You really have miss understood what I have said. Purely stating that clubs like St Blazey and St Austell can’t compete with some of the large budgets that are going around.

Please go on record that I have nothing but respect for what they achieved this season and is a club that we at St Austell want to try and emulate in the near future, what St Blazey has achieved in the past is second to none and something that we aim to copy.

St Blazey in my opinion set a benchmark on how clubs should be run and others have followed them and in some instances overtaken them, my one gripe with the club is the poor support the management got last year... that’s all.

I have made my feelings very clear that aim only a call away if they want some input on how to bring in additional funds to the club.

Apologies to all St Blazey fans on here if my comments are sometimes miss understood.

Money MAN

"making it impossible to attract new players to the poorer clubs i.e st Blazey , penzance etc"

Money Man, I took the statement above meaning that St Blazey and Penzance are poorer clubs! if you meant it a different way then I take it back.

I can see now from my statement thats how it comes across.. The clubs mentioned probably have lesser budgets than others but not meant to imply that they were poor.

Money MAN

Never intended to have a dig at St Blazey, You really have miss understood what I have said. Purely stating that clubs like St Blazey and St Austell can't compete with some of the large budgets that are going around.

Please go on record that I have nothing but respect for what they achieved this season and is a club that we at St Austell want to try and emulate in the near future, what St Blazey has achieved in the past is second to none and something that we aim to copy.

St Blazey in my opinion set a benchmark on how clubs should be run and others have followed them and in some instances overtaken them, my one gripe with the club is the poor support the management got last year... that's all.

I have made my feelings very clear that aim only a call away if they want some input on how to bring in additional funds to the club.

Apologies to all St Blazey fans on here if my comments are sometimes miss understood.

Money MAN

Money Man you've criticised us all season without knowing the facts other than what has been fed to you by some devious sources. St. Blazey FC has seen good and bad times and is where it is without racking up debt and walking away from it (ala we all know who I mean) What goes round comes round and we'll be patient.

Never intended to have a dig at St Blazey, You really have miss understood what I have said. Purely stating that clubs like St Blazey and St Austell can't compete with some of the large budgets that are going around.

St Blazey in my opinion set a benchmark on how clubs should be run and others have followed them and in some instances overtaken them, my one gripe with the club is the poor support the management got last year... that's all.

Money MAN

Money Man you've criticised us all season without knowing the facts other than what has been fed to you by some devious sources. St. Blazey FC has seen good and bad times and is where it is without racking up debt and walking away from it (ala we all know who I mean) What goes round comes round and we'll be patient.

Thank you Chairman.. I for one dont know who you mean, based on your walking away from it comment. I havent criticised St Blazey all season, I have only ever given advice on how you can make St Blazey the club it once was. You choose to think that the modern day statements I make are a criticism of the current St Blazey club, I am here to help but the old brigade at the club doesnt like change so theres know helping you.

Best of luck in your search for a new management team and Secretary for next season !!

Money Man

i cant understand peoples views on budgets and caps etc, if somebody offers me £50 to do somthing for them and somebody else offers me £75 for doing the same thing then its up to me what i choose. the same as its up to the club if they want to offer more money to get the player they want,im sure there are people on this forum who do the same job but get paid different amounts yet do you suggest a cap on rival employers wages.

if you luck back over the years most of the clubs have been big budget at sometime or other

but regardless of your clubs budget good luck nxt season

With sponsorship becoming harder and harder to get there are different aspects that might attract a player.

The big one is man management and coaching, we all know at step 6, players will sign and play where they feel comfortable, even where their mates play, whatever anyone says there are not many players who will sign at a club for money alone. Higher up the pyrmaid yes.

Most clubs are really working hard at improving facilities now, the club that has won the prem title for the last couple of seasons has had a playing budget that is half of some of its competitors. However its facilities, atmosphere, team morale etc are second to none.

Remember players do not set the fees, that is the job of the clubs committee and management, they have to put the funds where they think correct.

Some clubs invest in the pitch,stand,changing rooms etc etc, some invest purely in players.

For what its worth next seasons top six in no particular order, Falmouth, Bodmin, Buckland, Bovey Tracey, St Austell, Plymouth Parkway.

Money MAN

Thank you Chairman.. I for one dont know who you mean, based on your walking away from it comment. I havent criticised St Blazey all season, I have only ever given advice on how you can make St Blazey the club it once was. You choose to think that the modern day statements I make are a criticism of the current St Blazey club, I am here to help but the old brigade at the club doesnt like change so theres know helping you.

Best of luck in your search for a new management team and Secretary for next season !!

Money Man

So where have Hooper & Lafferty gone Money Man?

im sure there are people on this forum who do the same job but get paid different amounts yet do you suggest a cap on rival employers wages.

I, and many others, do not regard it as a job! Certainly not at this level! :SM_carton:

i wasn't calling football a job i was merely pointing out that it happens in all walks of life,

and if a club has the finances to fund its bill then how they spend is up to them.

The fact is this, you will never challenge without the best players and to get the best players you need to have a good budget. It’s been going on for years and years and will continue to do so in the future. Finding the necessary monies to attract the top players is something that is difficult but achievable.

At the end of the day although it’s probably wrong to pay a player/s £50 plus per game.... But without a winning team, (as proved in the past with St Austell) you won’t attract sponsors and supporters to the club.

I respect the high paying clubs in the league as they must be doing something different to us at St Austell because we can’t get near some of the wages being mentioned at the moment, "More sponsorship required I think".

To the higher budgeted clubs please just be careful and make sure you can fully justify paying step 6 players over £100 per game. The minute one of you teams mention that you will pay a player this amount the word spreads and then every player thinks they are worth it... making it impossible to attract new players to the poorer clubs i.e st Blazey , penzance etc.

Regards

Money Man

Makes no sense to pay players lots to win the league at level 6 unless you are prepared to be promoted,seems to me neither clubs or players have much ambition in Cornwall. Promotion should be compulsary or the league will become stale just like the old South Western league,cannot use money or travel as an excuse the furthest you will travel is Wiltshire about 3 hours away max so please can we have some discussion on ambition pride etc instead of money money money.

Dont mean to add to the criticism of St Blazey, but somebody mentioned great changing rooms. Have there been new ones built? I always found the pitch and club house up there with the best, but the changing rooms were quite small. Shame that St Blazeys good season might only be talked about due to the ECPL farce.

Some Southern League Clubs level 3 and 4 have told me they are only paying £20 I am surprised anyone gets paid at levels 6 and 7.

Priority should be for adequate insurance to ensure players and their families don't suffer financial misery because of serious injury.

Pitch, facilities, insurance etc should take priority over players being paid.

CLUBS REFUSING PROMOTION:

I think clubs who refuse promotion after winning the league should forfeit their prize money, that could then be shared out amongst clubs lower down the league.

When Truro City broke the pay structure in Cornwall it was for ambition, they took EVERY promotion, how can anyone be satisfied watching a team win the same league year in year out when better footballing standards are available to them by taking promotion.

hoppit

one problem living in cornwall is working saturday mornings <_< most weeks i am lucky if i get home by 1pm.how could i then travel to wiltshire for a 3pm kick off.nothing to do with ambition :ninja:

If you cant make it because of work im sure somebody whos not working Saturdays could.Lots of people seem to manage, all about ambition of the clubs not individuals :angry2:

hoppit

one problem living in cornwall is working saturday mornings <_< most weeks i am lucky if i get home by 1pm.how could i then travel to wiltshire for a 3pm kick off.nothing to do with ambition :ninja:

If you cant make it because of work im sure somebody whos not working Saturdays could.Lots of people seem to manage, all about ambition of the clubs not individuals :angry2: