Cornwall Football Forum

How many referees have had the bad news?

I will start the ball rolling as I have received the letter telling me my services are no longer required and to quote a section from the last paragraph " I accept you may be disappointed but I hope you continue to officiate"!. But the icing on the cake is I have tried to telephone the referee`s secretary all I get is this person is on the phone, I have left three messages but as yet no one has bothered to get in touch. So thats what it means I have been a referee now for 36years and they do not have the common courtesy to return my call.

Further to my earlier post I have had a constructive conversation with Ray Brown who agree`s that it is not an ideal way to decide on the referee`s list, but he has offered me ( and I believe this offer is open to any referee who is affected) the chance of two assessments next season and if I am not up to the required standard I will quite happily stand down. This has always been my opinion on how it should be achieved and i must thank Ray for allowing me to give his ears a good bending.

Guest tractor boys

yes some referees have letters to say that if they were in the bottom 15% of the combo/east cornwall they will not ref senior football but if you do well in junior football you could get back to senior football ,,,, as i got a letter as i was in the bottom 15% so will not be ref in the combo or on the line will only be doing junior.. :yahoo: :c:

At the levels that Steve Massey operates in, one would imagine that most, if not all referees would pass any basic or fitness assessment.

Surely it's down at the lower levels where the knock on effect of the decision will be felt.

For several years now we have been well aware of the shortage of refs and the various schemes and sytems to source new officials.

When you're playing at the lower levels of Duchy,Mining or FHFL with all due respect you are'nt going to get the best refs ( as by and large you're not the best players )

Is there not a danger that even more games at these levels will now suffer a lack of officials because of this decision

Again I would like to reiterate, it`s not the fitness test that is the problem the use of the term "merit table" actually means club marks, if this is the criteria then you do not ( please note Steve Massey ) get the best referee`s you get the popular referee`s and it`s not a popularity contest. A few examples if I may, the good ref who get`s alot of crunch games, also the ref who lives fairly local to a low marking club and will get appointed to them more than a ref from a good distance away, send off a clubs best striker and they then lose I bet your marks are well down then, so it`s not a simple solution and Steve I doubt very much if there is a higher level referee sat about without a game if there is it`s not because the lower level need removing from the game it`s how his appointments are allocated. To Brianmooreshead, yes it will be the bottom divisions where any possible impact will be felt, if I feel as i do now I will hang up my boots and i may well not be alone.