Cornwall Football Forum

Truro GWRSA denied clean sweep

A cracking cup final saw a very under strength mpad side beat rail 3-2 after being 2-0 down. Not quite sure how to explain it but fully deserved.

We ended up with so many players having to play out of position and a few in truth including myself that wouldntve been anywhere near the starting line up at full strength but we stuck together and pulled off the improbable. Is hard to pick out any person in particular as everyone played so well but Graham kept us in the game 1st half with some fine saves. 3rd time of winning that cup for me and having to play at centre back for the whole game against an undefeated team was definately the sweetest.

Well done Truro on a great season and good luck in your next cup final.

Well done to the ref today despite some of the usual GWRSA shouting from the dugout today i thought he had a great game along with his 2 assistants

What a result!

MPAD Utd 3 v Truro GWSRA 2

Probably quite a shock for people coming on the forum, but totally deserved after our second half performance.

Darren's right and we were missing some key players, and I am still gutted to have had to sit the match out due to a stomach bug I picked up from my 9-month old daughter. That's two finals I've sat out of now....

Anyway, I would take that anytime if it meant winning.

The first 10 minutes or so were fairly even but Truro started to exert pressure and took the lead. They doubled it after 30 minutes with a cracking shot that I think no keeper would have saved. However, Graham Griffiths in goal pulled off some fantastic saves to keep us in the game, but we were dealt another blow when we lost one of our wingers (we only had two in the squad) to a hamstring injury.

HT MPAD Utd 0 v Truro GWSRA 2

We made a change at half-time and it reaped benefits when within a minute of kicking off sub Stewart Fulcher charged forward to send in a perfect cross for Brett Southeard to head home.

Two minutes later we were awarded a penalty after two foul on Jamie Allen. Up stepped Ross Bowden to take the spot kick, but the Truro keeper pulled off a great save. The ball fell to Ross who passed for Brett to blast home his second.

Then five minutes later we were in front. Joel Ashton took left-footed corner from the right and curled it straight into the top corner - that's two he's scored straight from a corner this season!

The last 35 minutes were hell and seemed to take ages, but we held our nerve, and could have even extended our lead.

Really chuffed to have won and victory was made even sweeter when you take into account our other results against Truro this season.

:yahoo:

On another note it was also great to see Dave James at the match

A thoroughly deserved victory for the Mpad side, who were adamant win or lose they would enjoy their cup final.

And at half time, with a comfortable 2-0 lead, it looked very much like Truro's day, but it was an unbelievable start to the 2nd half for Mpad with 3 quick fire goals, and from that point they were the dominant team.

Nice to see sunday league stalwarts Mark, Darren and Mike picking up a trophy :clapper:

Great victory for us at MPAD yesterday, being written off by most people before the ball was even kicked and going into half time it looked like the doubters were right. 2-0 down. A side at MPAD who were willing to put up a fight with Truro probably coming out thinking job done, we scored 3 in 8 minutes and showed that in a one off game its the team that works the hardest and wants it the most that will win it. Great game, great result. Thanks to the ref and assistants and also to Truro. We rose in the second half like Rocky Balboa and ended up providing one of the greatest shocks in Cornish Shocker this year!!!!!

A thoroughly deserved victory for the Mpad side, who were adamant win or lose they would enjoy their cup final.

And at half time, with a comfortable 2-0 lead, it looked very much like Truro's day, but it was an unbelievable start to the 2nd half for Mpad with 3 quick fire goals, and from that point they were the dominant team.

Nice to see sunday league stalwarts Mark, Darren and Mike picking up a trophy :clapper:

Thanks, but not sure about being called a stalwart! ;)

Stalwart wouldnt have been the word i used this morning when i tried to move my legs haha. Think its my 17th or 18th season and can honestly say thats the most enjoyable cup ive picked up. Still cant quite believe after seeing the players that werent in the changing room at the start of the game that we won.So enjoyable to play in a team that just wants to enjoy the game whatever though. Was a cracking day!! Thanks to everyone involved including Truro

Stalwart wouldnt have been the word i used this morning when i tried to move my legs haha. Think its my 17th or 18th season and can honestly say thats the most enjoyable cup ive picked up. Still cant quite believe after seeing the players that werent in the changing room at the start of the game that we won.So enjoyable to play in a team that just wants to enjoy the game whatever though. Was a cracking day!! Thanks to everyone involved including Truro

stalwarts Oldtimers :P