Cornwall Football Forum

FHFL Results Thurs 12/05/11

Perranwell 4 Mullion 3

What a great game to end the season with. Its been a tough season after 2 successive promotions. We just didnt have the players to compete in this league but my boys gave it everything they had and had some cracking games.

It was decided before kick off that due to our captain and goalkeeper absent we would pick names out of the hat. It resulted in our centre back in goal, our midfields (including me) at centreback and left back upfront. On a hard and bumpy pitch perranwell attacked us from the start and we struggled to contain them. Very quick on the counter they called our keeper into making a few early saves. Free kick on the edge of the area hit the bar which was the warning sign.

Then a quick break down the right and good cross in the box, i hadnt scored all season so decided that instead of the striker (liam i think he was) i would save him the bother and tap it in myself. Then 3 goals in quick succesion, one an excellent lob from outside the box (number 11 i think he was) and it was 4-0 half time.

The game was done and dusted but with 3 newcastle fans in the squad we always thought there would be a comeback (remember that arsenal fans??) Substitute at half time Jamie Clarke came in (he couldnt find perranwell and was 15 mins late!!) and we looked more solid. Some excellent play by seth rutterford who was outstanding in his first game as centre forward put a delightful cross in for Tim Lyne who from 2 yards out and the keeper nowhere, headed 5 yards over the bar. Best miss ive ever seen! The pressure told when centreback/striker/midfield dynamo top scorer Nathan Davison powered in a header from a corner and the comeback was on. Numerous chances followed and great work down the left again by Seth with a peach of a ball for Ryan James with a clinical finish at the near post. 4-2. 2nd substition Leigh 'Tank' Howarth nearly scored with his first touch but was denied by a good save. More trickery in the box resulting in Seth being hauled down in the box. He didnt want to take it but after moaning he had never scored for mullion in 8 years (hes a left back remember) he cooly slotted it for 4-3. The home crowd were loving the entertainment as mullion pushed for a 4th. I missed a sitter from 3 yards falling over my own feet rather then putting it in the onion bag and other chances went begging.

Last kick of the game- corner floated in, mullions goalie up, it fell at Dan Reids feet who kicked it goalwards, defender clears off the line, rebounds back to Reid again who this time picks his spot only to be cleared of the line by...... our own keeper Dan Higgens!! Hold your head in shame!! Ref blows his whistle. Full Time Perranwell 4 Mullion 3.

A game played in fantastic spirit and smiles all around. Thanks to perranwell for making such a game off it. The ref was a legend(not sure of name brummie guy, reffing helston next tuesday) He tackled our players, nearly booked timmy for missing so badly and generally had a fantastic game.

Would like to thank all the Mullion boys for sticking with it this season. Im hanging up my managerial clipboard to concentrate on managing the newly promoted Mullion Ladies and on my own playing next season- own goals and terrible misses a speciality! I hope who ever takes over the 2nds the best of luck, you will have a great time at a level more suited to us and they are a fantastic bunch of lads.

Cheers and gone

Carharrack 2-1 chacewater

Bray pen 45

Rappo 75

Shame how the game ended wasn't very pretty at all!

Great win for the red army seals 7th position

Congrats but 7th place gained by claiming points, not winning them !!! Still if you know the right people. :angry:

Carharrack 2-1 chacewater

Bray pen 45

Rappo 75

Shame how the game ended wasn't very pretty at all!

Great win for the red army seals 7th position

Congrats but 7th place gained by claiming points, not winning them !!! Still if you know the right people. :angry:

we don't go round claiming the points we got told we were given them bit of difference not our fault is it! at the end of the day we got 7th and for our first season in fhl 1 its a great achievement for the club!

Firstly DARA, I know you are 'fishing'. Did Portreath play an illegible player? Yes. Did Perranwell play a illegible player? Yes. 6 points thank very much. If Carharrack played a illegible player it would be right that we would be docked points in accordance with FHFL rules. Secondly, please enlighten me as to who 'the right people are' would love to know.

Could Carharrack have beaten those teams if the didn't play those players, it is certainly a possibility. Portreath are certainly not complaining as the league have done there job right and looks to have saved them from relegation recently.

If you look at the league table even if Carharrack did not get those points we would still have been promoted to the Premier Division in fact we could still move upto 6th, still one game to go against St Agnes who have been the best footballing side in my opinion we have played so far. Remember we are one of only two teams to have beaten the League Champions Falmouth Athletic which is a honour in itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it your club that got caught out paying players this season? Say hello to Alison for me :clapper: All the best, off fishing now. ;)

Agree with Rich and Brayer,we were the victims in this instance,therefore deserve the points as any team would be intitled to! I feel i have to post because last night i went home having just played in a cracking game against a very talented Chacewater team but felt a bit ashamed to be honest with the treatment that the young ref Callum Wilkinson recieved.The lad was in tears at the end of the game and that is no way that a promising young referee should be treated. Both sets of players and supporters were on his back almost all the second half and he must have been almost scared to give a decision in the end.If we are being honest Callum would probably admit that it was not his best game ever and possibly a touch whistle happy instead of seeing what advantage could be played which stirred up an already fiesty local derby,but i have seen him officiate before and he is a good young ref who we should be encouraging as much as we can because this is the future of cornish football! We dont want to put them off the game with constant berating and then end up giving the game up,why dont we all next time we have a young referee help him with maybe a nice comment during the game, "great advantage ref" or "good decision ref,i was a bit late", only takes a couple of seconds but it might help his confidence and also then he knows that he has got some friends on the field instead of 22 enemies plus the abuse from the dug outs and supporters when the decision is not in their favour.In hindsight it probably wasn't the best decision by whoever to give a game like this to a young ref because of the rivalry of the two clubs,and im not saying us or Chacewater are any worse than anyone else towards officials because there are a good set of lads on both teams and nice people at both clubs,its just that last night i felt sorry for the young man who went to the game to enjoy it as much as anyone else there.I spoke to Callum's dad after and i just hope he can put this game behind him and go on and have a great future in the game.I know you had a word with him as well Rich,hope he was ok mate? Good luck for the future Callum :clapper:

Firstly DARA, I know you are 'fishing'. Did Portreath play an illegible player? Yes. Did Perranwell play a illegible player? Yes. 6 points thank very much. If Carharrack played a illegible player it would be right that we would be docked points in accordance with FHFL rules. Secondly, please enlighten me as to who 'the right people are' would love to know.

Could Carharrack have beaten those teams if the didn't play those players, it is certainly a possibility. Portreath are certainly not complaining as the league have done there job right and looks to have saved them from relegation recently.

If you look at the league table even if Carharrack did not get those points we would still have been promoted to the Premier Division in fact we could still move upto 6th, still one game to go against St Agnes who have been the best footballing side in my opinion we have played so far. Remember we are one of only two teams to have beaten the League Champions Falmouth Athletic which is a honour in itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it your club that got caught out paying players this season? Say hello to Alison for me :clapper: All the best, off fishing now. ;)

Don't normally go fishing till it's warmer,but seems i don't need any practise. :lol: :P

Agree with Rich and Brayer,we were the victims in this instance,therefore deserve the points as any team would be intitled to! I feel i have to post because last night i went home having just played in a cracking game against a very talented Chacewater team but felt a bit ashamed to be honest with the treatment that the young ref Callum Wilkinson recieved.The lad was in tears at the end of the game and that is no way that a promising young referee should be treated. Both sets of players and supporters were on his back almost all the second half and he must have been almost scared to give a decision in the end.If we are being honest Callum would probably admit that it was not his best game ever and possibly a touch whistle happy instead of seeing what advantage could be played which stirred up an already fiesty local derby,but i have seen him officiate before and he is a good young ref who we should be encouraging as much as we can because this is the future of cornish football! We dont want to put them off the game with constant berating and then end up giving the game up,why dont we all next time we have a young referee help him with maybe a nice comment during the game, "great advantage ref" or "good decision ref,i was a bit late", only takes a couple of seconds but it might help his confidence and also then he knows that he has got some friends on the field instead of 22 enemies plus the abuse from the dug outs and supporters when the decision is not in their favour.In hindsight it probably wasn't the best decision by whoever to give a game like this to a young ref because of the rivalry of the two clubs,and im not saying us or Chacewater are any worse than anyone else towards officials because there are a good set of lads on both teams and nice people at both clubs,its just that last night i felt sorry for the young man who went to the game to enjoy it as much as anyone else there.I spoke to Callum's dad after and i just hope he can put this game behind him and go on and have a great future in the game.I know you had a word with him as well Rich,hope he was ok mate? Good luck for the future Callum :clapper:

Well said Rappo its a shame but more often than not our Saturdays have been ruined this season by the opposition players and sidelines abusing the ref for the entire 90 minutes. Our game on Saturday for example was only 5 minutes gone and the ref had been told to f' off no less than 3 times by the players and you need f'ing specs shout from the sidelines , this continued for the whole game and he let them as did the ref when we played in the cup there earlier in the season. Its a vicious cycle and it needs all of us to stand up and be counted for the respect campaign to work , we as a club have for the last two seasons now taken a zero tolerance and only our Captain speaks to the ref ( of course the odd player still mutters on a bit now and then )but when I hear the teams we play question every decision and blast the ref and lino's with foul language for 90 minutes they stand out that much more now with one set of players quiet , I was no angel as a player myself and I'm embarrassed and ashamed that i used to be involved in it but I still think the refs could step up a zero tolerance too if only to encourage more teams like ours to continue with our discipline as i do feel sorry for my players when on a number of occasions we have lost games due to weak refs allowing themselves to be manipulated by screaming opponents and abusive touchline's. It really is that bad that I had to stop my 10 year old son coming along last year because it really is quite an unpleasant afternoon.

Surely with the start of the new league next year we could start a fresh and get this sorted out before a ball is kicked . I've read with interest on a few occasions how the Sunday league is run why can't we have a system from the new season where the ref and both teams mark each other on the respect shown. Any club falling below an average level is fined and repeat offenders docked points its so obvious there needs to be some kind of punishment to discourage bad behaviour we know this to be the case with toddlers and 22 grown men are no different , if the 1st player on Saturday for example got booked for telling the ref he's 'a f'ing joke' then it doesn't continue if its ignored then it continues , simple. Surely this would encourage far better games of football , an environment that would encourage younger refs to get involved and stick at it and allow our kids to come and watch a game of football and not something that resembles kicking out time at the Berkeley Centre! :drink:

doesnt take a huge effort to have the refs mark the teams on sportsmanship. Infact the only problem we get in the sunday league on occasion is refs not knowing enough about it as it doesnt happen on saturdays. It has worked and although some people may argue that sunday football is played differently it has made the games so much nicer to play in. There is a fine system in place for offenders and a reward system thanks to genorous sponsorship for clubs that have above average marks ( the cut off point agreed by clubs at the start of the season). There will always be some questioning of decisions etc but its the personal abuse of refs and repeat offenders that is so wrong. Ive had a go at refs in the past and try not to now. Think the worst things that ive seen this season were at a couple of grounds ( no names mentioned) where the abuse from supporters to refs was just so sad, ot sure what the answer is there.

Not sure at the top level things will get too much better but surely at this level people can help as lets be honest idve thought most people were playing for the enjoyment of the game