Cornwall Football Forum

These are my thoughts but this piece will be in Penzance's Friday's match programme against St Just

Goonhavern Athletic are still clinging on by their fingertips to their hopes of promotion to the Combination League as Threemilestone lose 1-9 at home on Wednesday night (11th May) to Illogan Reserves.

Needing to finish in the top three of the Mining League to be considered, Goonhavern who finished the season with 60 points from their 28 games are looking over their shoulder at fourth placed team Threemilestone who have 55 points with 2 games to play.

For ex-SWPL club Goonhavern, last in the Combo with their Reserve squad in the 2005-06 season, must be hoping that Gulval put one over Threemilestone on Saturday, the 14th May. Threemilestone do have another home game to Trevenson United but it has not been fixtured for some reason.

POS P W D L GD PTS

1 Illogan Res 27 25 1 1 176 76

2 St Buryan 27 23 2 2 101 71

3 Goonhavern Athletic 28 19 3 6 92 60

4 Threemilestone 26 17 4 5 79 55

With Helston Athletic being promoted as Combination League Champions, Goonhavern must be hoping to replace them in the league, whilst Ludgvan must also hope that they too keep their league status, if Falmouth Athletic's application is refused on ground grading issues.

Runaway Leagues of the Falmouth/Helston, Falmouth Athletic have several points they must satisfy to the Combination League Committee.

One possible problem for Ludgvan is several of the Combination League Clubs are now saying that they are fed up having to play several league games over a short period of time towards the end of the playing season. The Rule Change that has been put forward the last couple of seasons to reduce the number of clubs in the league has been defeated but this time there might be a majority in favour.

So there are several possible alternatives that might occur

1) Helston are promoted, no-one is relegated from the league leaving 19 clubs.

2) Helston are promoted and Goonhavern are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

3) Helston are promoted and Falmouth Athletic are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

4) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan relegated and Goonhavern are promoted leaving 19 clubs.

5) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan relegated and Falmouth Athletic are promoted leaving 19 clubs.

6) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan are relegated and both Goonhavern and Falmouth Athletic are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

7) Helston are promoted and Ludgvan relegated, no-one is promoted leaving 18 clubs remaining in the league.

Options 2, 4, and 6 are dependent on Goonhavern gaining third place in their respective league.

Discuss people. What do you think the clubs will decide?

These are my thoughts but this piece will be in Penzance's Friday's match programme against St Just

Goonhavern Athletic are still clinging on by their fingertips to their hopes of promotion to the Combination League as Threemilestone lose 1-9 at home on Wednesday night (11th May) to Illogan Reserves.

Needing to finish in the top three of the Mining League to be considered, Goonhavern who finished the season with 60 points from their 28 games are looking over their shoulder at fourth placed team Threemilestone who have 55 points with 2 games to play.

For ex-SWPL club Goonhavern, last in the Combo with their Reserve squad in the 2005-06 season, must be hoping that Gulval put one over Threemilestone next Tuesday night, the 14th May. Threemilestone do have another home game to Trevenson United but it has not been fixtured for some reason.

POS P W D L GD PTS

With Helston Athletic being promoted as Combination League Champions, Goonhavern must be hoping to replace them in the league, whilst Ludgvan must also hope that they too keep their league status, if Falmouth Athletic's application is refused on ground grading issues.

Runaway Leagues of the Falmouth/Helston, Falmouth Athletic have several points they must satisfy to the Combination League Committee.

One possible problem for Ludgvan is several of the Combination Lerague Clubs are now saying that they are fed up having to play several league games over a short period of time towards the end of the playing season. The Rule Change that has been put forward the last couple of seasons to reduce the number of clubs in the league has been defeated but this time there might be a majority in favour.

2) Helston are promoted and Goonhavern are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

3) Helston are promoted and Falmouth Athletic are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

4) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan relegated and Goonhavern are promoted leaving 19 clubs.

5) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan relegated and Falmouth Athletic are promoted leaving 19 clubs.

6) Helston are promoted, Ludgvan are relegated and both Goonhavern and Falmouth Athletic are promoted keeping 20 clubs in the league.

7) Helston are promoted and Ludgvan relegated, no-one is promoted leaving 18 clubs remaining in the league.

Options 2, 4, and 6 are dependent on Goonhavern gaining third place in their respective league.

I understand that TMS have been given the points from their fixture with Trevenson (I think due to them not being able to raise a side) which leaves them 2 points behind with Gulval to play. I also understand that they're fixtured to play them this Saturday and not Tuesday as you suggest but I'm guessing this is a typo as Tuesday 14 May does not exist. I would also be surprised if the league fixtured this as an evening game given the distance Gulval would have to travel.

If TMS were to finish 3rd, what's the position in relation to Goonhavern being elected into the Combination League?

I can't see many voting for Falmouth Athletic to come into the league!

I think the Combination League like to stick to what they know

It's not on votes anymore Darren its about league position, ground grading & if the club applied for promotion before march. I think Athletic as champions of FHFL1 will be playing combination football next year no matter what mutterings may be stated on here as some of the things they are being told to do are not in place at the majority of current combination league members grounds. Goonhavern will go up if they finish in the top 3.

I can't see the league reducing in size to 18 this season as it is decided 12 months in advance at the AGM the size of the league.

I've stated in a previous post that although Holmans have lurked in the bottom quarter for the past two years we would not oppose a reduction in the league to 18 clubs as the current minimum 41 games (including senior and league cups)is a lot for an recreational league.

I think a club has to realise that sometimes the best way to move forward is to take a step back and regroup, look at pendeen who have made a fantastic impact on returning to the league this year following a spell in the junior divisions. The new Trelawny league which will be the feeder to the combo could be very competitive and quite a few long established senior clubs could find themselves in the Trelawny league over the next 5 years as junior clubs now have a clear path to promotion.

haven't the league gone back to Athletic though and asked them to get five things in place? I think Topcat mentioned that previously! could the goalposts be moved??

If Athletic do go up then I can't imagine many teams enjoying their trip there thats for sure! tight small pitch and a decent side as well.

a question for Kev, am I right in saying that the league have requested that fewer games are played on the pitch? ie: no sunday games?

If Goonhaven go up is there any chance they could get rid of the boarding underneath the seats so bags can go under the bench?

Neil they won't have to change the rules for next season to reduce the number of teams to 18.

They could refuse Falmouth Athletic promotion, Goonhavern don't come third in their league and Helston are promoted then there will be 18 teams left.

The rule states that there will be a maximum 20 teams in the leaque. Doesn't state there has to be 20 teams

It is the first rule in the rule book

1. NOMENTCLATURE AND CONSTITUTION

This Combination of Clubs shall be designated the Cornwall Combination Football League and shall consist of not more than 20 Clubs who shall be full member Clubs. The following Clubs are to be regarded as founder members: Falmouth Town, Helston Athletic, Nanpean Rovers, Newquay, Penzance, Porthleven, RAF St Mawgan, RNAS Culdrose, Roche, St Breward, St Dennis and St Just. All such Clubs shall be duly affiliated to a recognised County Football association and shall have grounds or headquarters situated in the County of Cornwall and particulars shall be returned annually by the appointed date on Form "D" to the Cornwall County Football Association. The League must receive the sanction of the Cornwall County Football Association (to whom it may be affiliated) and the constituent teams may be grouped in divisions.

So they could have possibly 18 teams next season by relegating Ludgvan and not promoting anyone, and the clubs could vote at the AGM to reduce the size of the league for the following season (2012-13) to 18 and not feel guilty they are chucking two or possibly four of their own out at the end of the 2011-12 season.

So ctb,a club that sets at the start of the season with promotion as one of its "goals" and then satisfies everything for promotion from the junior to the senior ranks can be refused entry by the clubs at the Annual General Meeting.

I would question the morals of that decision (should it take place).

Bravo :clapper:

For ex-SWPL club Goonhavern, last in the Combo with their Reserve squad in the 2005-06 season, must be hoping that Gulval put one over Threemilestone on Saturday, the 14th May. Threemilestone do have another home game to Trevenson United but it has not been fixtured for some reason.

POS P W D L GD PTS

One possible problem for Ludgvan is several of the Combination League Clubs are now saying that they are fed up having to play several league games over a short period of time towards the end of the playing season. The Rule Change that has been put forward the last couple of seasons to reduce the number of clubs in the league has been defeated but this time there might be a majority in favour.

The SWP issued it's press statement on Monday regarding the confirmed final placings and constitution for season 2011-12, at the same time the Combination league had 40 fixtures yet to play! I think this suggests to us there are too many fixtures in the season, so I would vote for reducing to 18. However, we can not relegate more than two clubs. Therefore I support either:

- Option 7, relegate Ludgvan

- Option 8, relegate both Ludgvan + Holman, accept either Goonhaven (if they remain in top 3) or Falmouth Athletic

I'm not saying that. If a team does not meet the ground grading requirements is it the league club's fault?

I didn't mean to say the clubs refuse entry to Athletic, but there must be set standards for entering the league regardless of the grounds of teams already in the league.

Why do I feel like I'm digging a deeper hole for myself here? :o

Didn't think of Option 8 !

Surely with no relegation from the combination league or Promotion from the leagues below then the quality in the league will decrease. We have seen since the formation of SWPL that the quality of combo has dropped, Troon and Pendeen have done a fantastic job since promotion, but if no teams are relegated or promoted then the league will not improve.

However, on a previous thread I read that Ludgvan have suffered due to so much competition, with the likes of Mousehole, Penzance, Hayle, St. Just, Pendeen, St. Ives nearby. Surely the same will apply to Falmouth Athletic, with Penryn, Falmouth Town, Perranwell, Helston all in a relatively close distance.

Surely with no relegation from the combination league or Promotion from the leagues below then the quality in the league will decrease. We have seen since the formation of SWPL that the quality of combo has dropped, Troon and Pendeen have done a fantastic job since promotion, but if no teams are relegated or promoted then the league will not improve.

However, on a previous thread I read that Ludgvan have suffered due to so much competition, with the likes of Mousehole, Penzance, Hayle, St. Just, Pendeen, St. Ives nearby. Surely the same will apply to Falmouth Athletic, with Penryn, Falmouth Town, Perranwell, Helston all in a relatively close distance.

You can add Wendron to that list.

Are you reading between the lines why some clubs are reluctant to allow Fal Ath to join the league. oooow how could you, the clubs have the leagues best interest at heart not their own, surely?

Personally no comment on that thought. :)

I forgot about them, Sorry Josh Dron :thumbsup:

I wasnt reading between any lines, didnt realise there was any :ninja:

I would say some are reluctant because of the facilities but I am sure that almouth Athletic would be able to use them to their advantage.

But this subject has been bought up before about too many teams from the same catchment area, on one hand it is good competition but when is good competition between teams too much competition.

Promotion and relegation keeps leagues vibrant and interest at the top and bottom. Before the new Trelawny league divisions are established, it is the ideal opportunity to reduce to 18. This should result in:

- less clubs having to play 3 fixtures a week in April/May

- a more competitive league, hopefully less lop-sided results

- 4 less midweek games should mean less of the dreaded 'unable to raise a side'

- Evely Cup able to be held before 29 May!

- two more clubs in the Trelawny league eligible for promotion the following season

If Fal Ath can get their ground up to standard and TMS win Saturday and put Goonhavern out of a promotion position, I can accept relegating the bottom 2.

To set the record straight, all decisions on promotion and relegation between the Combination League, Fal/Helston League and the Mining Division are made by a Joint Liaison Committee consisting of members of each organisation.

The same process will continue with the formation of the Trelawney League.

The JLC will meet to make such decisions prior to any of the League AGMs. There is no voting on the matter at the AGMs

Promotion can only be achieved by Clubs finishing in the relevant position of their current League as well as satisfying ALL of the current ground requirements. (It is common knowledge that there are Clubs currently in the Combination League who's grounds/facilities do not meet the criteria but they were elected under the previous system and cannot now be forced to make any necessary changes or improvements.)

There are strict guidelines laid down by the FA to determine promotion and relegation between Leagues competing at Step 7 or above, and while the Combination League does not form part of that National League System, the same criteria is used by the JLC when making decisions.

There is no current Combination League Rule which provides a way for the current number of teams to be reduced - unless a Club voluntarily seeks to leave or is expelled for serious misconduct: the vacancy so caused does not have to be filled at the AGM.

It's now May 12th and most clubs have 5 games or so to play , we have 4 games in the next 8 days and we are struggling with injuries

etc, most leagues are all but finished.

We have had this problem for a number of seasons, The fixture secretary has said that we could play more midweek games in the winter

but we ( as most ) joined a saturday league not an evening league!!

We need to reduce the number of clubs and all cup comps finish on the day with no replays, and who thought we should have a cup

competition for the league cup teams who lost their game??

And with the global warming we don't play too much footy in January do we.. :c:

how about:

promote helston to swdiv1, relegate ludgvan to new trelawny league and no promotions from lower leagues (just this year)-leaving 18 teams for season 2011/12 in combo.

Then state at agm for 2011/12 season that the top 2 of trelawny lg HAVE to be promoted, as does the winner of combo lg and the team finishing bottom of combo shall be relegated-thus keeping team number at 18!

I understand that there regulations to be met ie ground facilities for the leagues-but can we not give the clubs being promoted a 2 year window to get it sorted?

All of this finishing 3rd to go up when team finishing 1st doesnt is tbh ridiculous.

This in my eyes would be a much more level playing field and give clubs abit more of an incentive!!!!

how about:

promote helston to swdiv1, relegate ludgvan to new trelawny league and no promotions from lower leagues (just this year)-leaving 18 teams for season 2011/12 in combo.

Then state at agm for 2011/12 season that the top 2 of trelawny lg HAVE to be promoted, as does the winner of combo lg and the team finishing bottom of combo shall be relegated-thus keeping team number at 18!

I understand that there regulations to be met ie ground facilities for the leagues-but can we not give the clubs being promoted a 2 year window to get it sorted?

All of this finishing 3rd to go up when team finishing 1st doesnt is tbh ridiculous.

This in my eyes would be a much more level playing field and give clubs abit more of an incentive!!!!

What about Falmouth Athletic who have this year set their stall out to win the league and gain promotion to the combo ? :SM_carton:

how about:

Thats all very well but what happens if the league winners already have a team in the league above or like Illogan this year have no desire to move up a league.

how about:

What happens to the team who finishes bottom of the SWPL Div 1 West each season? You say top Combo team must be promoted, bottom relegated, 2 coming in from Trelawny League, so where would this team go, ECPL maybe? Can't work.

Option 10

Helston promoted, Ludgvan and Holmans relegated, no promotion in.

Combo down to 17 teams at a stroke. :P

Now, now CTB - be nice. If we can get to 18 is will be a good achievement.

On the matter of reducing the fixture load, is there any seeding done for the League Cup, or are the teams who play the preliminary round selected at random. Illogan for example won both the league cup and league last season, however this season were not one of the 12 clubs given a bye to the first round. Compounding that they were forced to play a replay in the preliminary round, and were invited to play in the Charity Cup, where they played two rounds. If the top Combo clubs are more likely to go further in the league cup / supplementary cup / senior cup, can we consider giving the top 12 clubs (or 14 if the league is reduced) a bye until the first round of the league cup. Failing that, at least the club(s) invited to the Charity Cup should be given a bye to the first round.

Option 10

On the matter of reducing the fixture load, is there any seeding done for the League Cup, or are the teams who play the preliminary round selected at random. Illogan for example won both the league cup and league last season, however this season were not one of the 12 clubs given a bye to the first round. Compounding that they were forced to play a replay in the preliminary round, and were invited to play in the Charity Cup, where they played two rounds. If the top Combo clubs are more likely to go further in the league cup / supplementary cup / senior cup, can we consider giving the top 12 clubs (or 14 if the league is reduced) a bye until the first round of the league cup. Failing that, at least the club(s) invited to the Charity Cup should be given a bye to the first round.

The league will then be accused of being a closed shop for favouring the so called better teams

To answer your question St Darren no, we have not being asked to reduce the number of Sunday league games.Most teams have reserve sides Sunday/Youth or ladies sides playing on their pitch. Alot of the extra criteria asked for was NOT set out in the combination league criteria eg 8 seater dugouts are not stated, a technical area is also not stated, although you must have a technical area if in a stadium (stated by ccfa)We are on top of the items required one of which was that the pitch must be roped off but again we have been asked "what would hold the rope up?" In my opinion as long as the pitch is roped off to a satisfactory standard that should be up to the club with what they hold the rope up with.When Brian Ridgeon and John Roberts left our first inspection both were happy with what our intentions were to rope the pitch also the dugouts.They were informed that the council and local police authorities were dealing with the issue of keeping dogs off the field, although this is a deterent and they both agreed that it is impossible to keep ALL dogs off pitches that are not fully enclosed.(even playing for Falmouth Town the other evening a dog had messed near one of the dugouts)it is going to happen.

We had 1 person with issues about Falmouth Athletics promotion bid,and the secretarys who attended the combination meeting will be aware of who this person is,as I was told that he took over the meeting and was very much against us joining the league,I would like to think that he had his own clubs best interest at heart and not just out to defy us our rightful promotion.I read your posting above and I feel that most of you are out to seek what is best for your clubs,and I would do the same.But do you take time to think about others? IF Falmouth Town,Penryn Perranwell and Wendron are worried about us gaining promtion I am pleased that they feel we are a threat, however Penzance St Ives Pendeen Holmans Ludgvan St Just Hayle and St Agnes to name a few you must think to yourselves are they really going to weaken these teams without causing us any problems? if so we might be doing you all a favour.

If Kempey wants a league with less teams in drop down to the trelawney league as they will have 14-16 teams in each league.

The posting above about what may happen with promotion/relegation take a look further afield if you lessen the teams in the league who will actually be affected? Two teams relegated,none promoted Carharack and another team having to play in div2 of the trelawney league although they have battled to play in Div 1 two teams right down the mining league and Fal/Hel leagues, that have played their socks off to get themselves into their highest respected league will be in a league lower because you want to play a couple of less games!

Guest man city fan

let falmouth athletic and goonhavern into they combo league.

both will put together competivie sides . no one want to see a team losing 19 nil in senior football like ludgvan so i think

puting both in the league will be better for the league.

Guest man city fan

let falmouth athletic and goonhavern into they combo league.

both will put together competivie sides . no one want to see a team losing 19 nil in senior football like ludgvan so i think

puting both in the league will be better for the league.

Our dugout are going to be in those trees St Darren lol All jokes a side we did discuss this when the pitch inspectiobn was taking place and they are going to be cut back but they actually don,t encroach on to the pitch it,s an optical illusion!Thanks for your support.

"If Goonhaven go up is there any chance they could get rid of the boarding underneath the seats so bags can go under the bench?"

"any chance you can get the council in to chop down the overhanging tree's down the road side? we got a couple of full backs who like to kick it really high and long, and this could prove a hinderance."

Any other requests St Darren so that both clubs can try and meet your seal of approval? :P

Just one question to Kevin,if the weather gets bad in the winter,who would call off a game at Dracaena the ref or the council? :unsure::ninja:

what difference would it make?

the same people as porteath i expect <_<

i personally do not agree with teams on council pitches playing combo football but!!! the league set a prescedent with portreath so they cannot deny athletic the chance.if they do what is the point of the new trelawney league.

i say good luck to falmouth athletic you deserve your moment of glory. :thumbsup:

As a founder member of the league we have always been dictated by the MoD on pitch availability, in exactly the same manner as a council pitch would be. It has advantages and disadvantages? The advantage is that the contractor makes the decision at 1200 on the Friday and therefore gives the referee and opposition fair warning rather than them being dragged across the county for no reason. This in most cases results in the correct decision being made. It is however also the disadvantage that on the odd occasion the infamous Pavilion wind will bake the pitch dry again and make it playable which is highly frustrating.

I cannot see a reason why both Goonhavern and Falmouth Athletic should not compete in the Combination League next year. This is after all the FA's directive to give every club in the country the league structure that allows growth from a village club up to the professional game. Up until now West Cornwall has been a exception to this and the new Trelawny League is seen as away to implement this directive.

Good luck to all those who move up and down this year! I totally agree with Kev though that movement between the leagues encourages improvement!

Option 10

The league will then be accused of being a closed shop for favouring the so called better teams

Yes, except nothing to do with 'so called' reputation and only to do with on field performance. Seeding clubs in knockout cups happens at every level, from the FA Cup to Cornwall Senior Cup. eg. In the SWP Throgmorton Cup the top half of the premier division are exempt from the preliminary round. This is done to reduce the chance of fixture rearrangements and end of season congestion for all clubs. There would have been less fixtures rearranged and less clubs without a Saturday game in late November, December, January if the clubs invited to the Charity cup were exempt from the LC preliminary round. More Saturday games during winter and less midweek games is surely a benefit to all clubs.

If it's any consolation to Clubs facing fixture congestion this year, proposed rule changes - should they be passed at the AGMs - mean that there will be no replays in either the Combination League Cup, nor the Cornwall Senior or Junior Cups, with all ties decided on the day through the use of extra-time and penalties if necessary. This should lead to far fewer postponements and/or changes to original League fixtures.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont really know if the above posting is a good or bad thing,the draw could determine the outcome as you may wish to play for a draw away to a difficult team then bring them home and go for the win.However this would be removed from your choice and wherever you play you must go all out for thw win?????????