Cornwall Football Forum

Is it time for technology ?

once again we have the did it or didn't it cross the line debate as Lampards shot was shockingly fluffed by Gomez, my instant reaction as i watched it live was goal.... the replay suggested differently . The linesman was in no position to give a definant yes or no but told the ref yes so he awarded the goal. That split second disision has opened up the title race again helped man city and chelsea and cost spurs a champions league spot.

Usually when an incident takes place like this the ref will go over and consult his linesman and by the time he has shooed all the players away and spoken it could take anything up to 2 minutes. In that time the 4th official could earn his money (instead of spending all his time telling managers to get back into there technical area) and see the re run of the incident on his monitor near the dug out and give a definate outcome.

Then comes the argument of where do you draw the line as to what you look at ? Spurs goal came from a throw that was chelsea's would you review the incident disallow the goal and award chelsea a throw ?

The same happened again in the arsenal V man Utd game when Vidic touched Walcotts cross away with his hand as Van Persie was about to score Ref and linesman didn't see it.... a 10 second review would have seen arsenal get a penalty and Vidic sent off (How many more times this season will he get away with it ?). as it was Arsenal won anyway.

People always say things even themselves out over the season, but do they really ?

The older generation would say we grew up accepting the Refs decision and got on with it even if you didnt like it many a time you played games without nets and goals were given and not given when the ref wasn't sure if it went in or not.

But nowdays because of the over saturation of football on the tv every incident is run and re run time and time again. There is so much money involved in football that these decisions are now worth millions to some teams there are two options , carry on the way it has been going on for years and years or grasp the new profesionism of football and include goalpost or review technology.

Maybe we could take a leaf out of crickets book and have each team being allowed 3 reviews a match and just add the time on for the review at the end of each half......

Fifa will not entertain the idea of technology as they want football to be the same as it is on hackney marches as it is in the champoins league but how many 5th and 6th officials do you see in your local park,?

As you know i have no affilition to these clubs it was just a rant over this weekends football .... oh and as i have just finished this the hammers have lost again a 3 game season looms......

What is needed is automatic replays for a goal line decision, and perhaps for fouls, bookings etc a 3 call system.

Yesterday Arsenal could have scored from a penalty as Vidic would have been sent off, but also Owen could have been awarded a penalty at the other end.

This kind of technology could stamp out blatant cheating once and for all - Rivaldo would have been sent off in the 2002 World Cup, as well as Lampard scoring against Germany.

It only takes a split second for the officials concentration to have wandered for technology to become useful, I doubt many of us could say we've not had a momentary blip and missed something.

Bernard, not for one minute am i suggesting we should encourage cheating....( It was good to see the Ref book a leeds player for diving on saturday) the way players react to little taps and brushes against them is disgraceful and I fear for our youngsters who witness this all the time because of tv saturation. What I was trying to say is that football is run more profesionally than say 20 years ago and with the refs and their assistants also classed as professionals... and with the vast amounts of money that hinges on crucial desicions maybe it is time for a review system...

I think that as a whole Refs should start giving more penalties for all the hugging and pulling that goes on in penalty boxes .....

I for one am still old school and the Ref's desicion is final ......

I also hate the way the pundits immediately after the Arsenal V Utd game were saying that Owen didn't gt his penalty was because the Ref had missed Vidic's handball in the first half and "Evened it up.." That puts even more pressure on the Ref for the next game....

WHURU - excellent post...."Then comes the argument of where do you draw the line as to what you look at ? Spurs goal came from a throw that was chelsea's would you review the incident disallow the goal and award chelsea a throw".

There is always going to be controversy. Just like Lampards non-goal for England, the game did not stop for a couple of minutes, so if waiting for a "convenient moment" to stop the game and use technology for the "split second review", who chooses when and where?

This is not an easy subject to sort out....

WHURU - excellent post...."Then comes the argument of where do you draw the line as to what you look at ? Spurs goal came from a throw that was chelsea's would you review the incident disallow the goal and award chelsea a throw".

There is always going to be controversy. Just like Lampards non-goal for England, the game did not stop for a couple of minutes, so if waiting for a "convenient moment" to stop the game and use technology for the "split second review", who chooses when and where?

This is not an easy subject to sort out....

To be fair, and imo the whole system needs a revamp.

Everything has to evolve, i dont see car manufacturers turfing out vehicles they first made!

As technology has advanced-the FA (imo are spineless anyway) are just puppets to UEFA

You only have to look at the MLS who have made slight adjustments and the F.F.F so why not the FA??

like i said-REVAMP please!