Cornwall Football Forum

Arthur Pearce Cup Final

The Arthur Pearce Cup Final this year will be contested by Gulval and Redruth United at Illogan RBL on Sunday,Ist May with a 2.30pm kick off.

I'm sure that both Secretaries(Rhondda and Darren) would agree that their respective club's have not been up amongst the Mining League's frontrunners for a few years now but this season both are on recent good runs and in superb form.It promises to be a hard fought final with match winners in both teams and it is great to see that both well run clubs now have the chance for silverware.

It is what the late Arthur Pearce,one of football's gentlemen and a long serving servant to the league,would have wanted to see.

Enjoy the day guys.

Many thanks for the good wishes Nige.

I'll need to check with the league but I have always had 2pm down as KO time, not 2.30. Have the goalposts been moved already lol.?

Rhondda has been a good friend in football (and opponent!) for many many years and I am sure he will agree with your sentiment that Arthur Pearce would be very proud. I am sure both teams will pay the respect deserved for Arthur's memory in the last year of Mining League football, a league that Arthur served as player and official for over 50 years. :clapper: A true gentleman of local Cornish football and one who 'held my hand'and offered advice and guidance in my early days setting up Redruth in 1993.

Agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments above,and will enjoy playing the game in a spirit he would have appreciated.

Looking forward to it. Finals usually kick off at 2 o'clock so we'll be ready for then, at worst it will be another 30 minutes briefing from both managers.

The day is aready a success for both clubs,we just have to decide who takes the cup home for the last time in it's present standing. And if doesn't come home with us i can't think of anywhere more deserved than on Darrens mantlepiece (don't get the duster out just yet though Daz) ;)

It was a complete farse from the start. Two cup finals in one location on the same day, with one kick off at 12 and the other at 2pm. The organisers and league officials made a big mistake in the location and kick off times.

Redruth arrived first (all suited and booted, good effort to Darren and the lads) but had to wait for over an hour and 10 mins before they could change, due to the first final finishing, the presentation and teams getting changed, etc. Gulval arrived 20mins after Redruth did (not in suits I might add...)

There was also some type of private party in the clubhouse, with loud music and screaming kids, not an ideal place to wait.

Once the teams had finally managed to change, they only had 25 mins to warm up and prepare (for a cup final!!?) Needless to say the football was scrapy, and tired looking, with Redruth looking quite lethargic during the first half. (With all the waiting around though I can't say Im suprised).

Gulval managed to score two early goals, from a player who I hear was brought in from St Just combo side for this game - could be just a rumour though.

Redruth were brighter in the second half and scored a good goal 20 mins from time. They then hit the bar, post and had numerous efforts cleared from the line. Gulval hung on to win, but in a tired fashion, as the game was generally played.

The Redruth captain was also taken to hospital early in the second half after a nasty challenge resulting in a facial injury. This summed your day up really - you boys were unlucky and just didnt get the rub of the green. You were early, together, well presented and tried to prapare the best you could, but didnt turn up on the pitch and were let down by some poor organisation. After your recent run of form over the past 3 - 4 months, you deserved more.

Well done Gulval to hang on in the end.

All in all, not a great finals day. I just hope in future a bit more thought is put into the planning of it all so that the players and spectators can fully enjoy a good cup final, they dont come that often after all...

COSMO,.............

Even if you were the love child of darren & myself could anyone come up with such a one sided defence.

The finals were the same as they had been for the last 10 years that i have known,, you take what you are given playing in the major final of the day.

|Both teams were given as long as they wanted to warm, up by the ref, we all waited outside,we all warmed up as we wanted , we all started when the ref blew his whistle.. we started quicker,...

Throw away your ifs and ands, redruth were beaten by the better team on the day. a view shared by 99% of those that count at Redruth F.C.

Squeeze what comfort you may from your sour grapes. but them in he know, know the right team won on the day.

Darren and the old boys at Redruth know if not Gulval then please god... let it be redruth...

Cosmo..

Try another club, your whinging does nothing but belittle 20 years of hard graft by darren and the stalwarts of the club

The Brazilian saying is. The ball is round... Meaning.... same for both teams.

Suck it up forth sub.... :)

C'mon Gulval

It was a complete farse from the start. Two cup finals in one location on the same day, with one kick off at 12 and the other at 2pm. The organisers and league officials made a big mistake in the location and kick off times.

Redruth arrived first (all suited and booted, good effort to Darren and the lads) but had to wait for over an hour and 10 mins before they could change, due to the first final finishing, the presentation and teams getting changed, etc. Gulval arrived 20mins after Redruth did (not in suits I might add...)

There was also some type of private party in the clubhouse, with loud music and screaming kids, not an ideal place to wait.

Once the teams had finally managed to change, they only had 25 mins to warm up and prepare (for a cup final!!?) Needless to say the football was scrapy, and tired looking, with Redruth looking quite lethargic during the first half. (With all the waiting around though I can't say Im suprised).

Gulval managed to score two early goals, from a player who I hear was brought in from St Just combo side for this game - could be just a rumour though.

Redruth were brighter in the second half and scored a good goal 20 mins from time. They then hit the bar, post and had numerous efforts cleared from the line. Gulval hung on to win, but in a tired fashion, as the game was generally played.

The Redruth captain was also taken to hospital early in the second half after a nasty challenge resulting in a facial injury. This summed your day up really - you boys were unlucky and just didnt get the rub of the green. You were early, together, well presented and tried to prapare the best you could, but didnt turn up on the pitch and were let down by some poor organisation. After your recent run of form over the past 3 - 4 months, you deserved more.

Well done Gulval to hang on in the end.

All in all, not a great finals day. I just hope in future a bit more thought is put into the planning of it all so that the players and spectators can fully enjoy a good cup final, they dont come that often after all...

just got in from night out with carbis bay lads celebrating there win, arnt there always two finals on same day? as for organisation these people chris coombes etc, are giving up there own time too sort these things out, only watched first half but gulval looked sharper, after watching redruth beat halsetown in semi thought they would beat gulval but these things happen, as for jowan of st just playing for gulval i think he has to have played at least five games for gulval to qualify for final,these things will have been checked by chris coombes etc as they were semi finals.good luck too both finalists rest off season.if you let me have your email address darren i have photos from your semi and a few from yesterday.

Still hurting this morning but first things first, well done to Gulval FC, Rhondda, Robbie and all the players for a well-deserved win. :clapper: Overall, across 90 minutes the best team won.

I will keep my counsel on the build-up to the game and the match itself. At the end of the day, the trophy will show Gulval Winners 2011, not what did and didn't happen, who played well or poorly, etc etc.

All in all, although I know my players were all, and will be this morning, very disappointed, this is a watershed season for Redruth - two Cup Finals for the club plus another semi final and I'm looking forward to finishing the season strongly, and moving onwards and upwards for 2011-12. Time to look forward, not reflect on what might have been.

It was a complete farse from the start. Two cup finals in one location on the same day, with one kick off at 12 and the other at 2pm. The organisers and league officials made a big mistake in the location and kick off times. Redruth arrived first (all suited and booted, good effort to Darren and the lads) but had to wait for over an hour and 10 mins before they could change, due to the first final finishing, the presentation and teams getting changed, etc. Gulval arrived 20mins after Redruth did (not in suits I might add...)There was also some type of private party in the clubhouse, with loud music and screaming kids, not an ideal place to wait. Once the teams had finally managed to change, they only had 25 mins to warm up and prepare (for a cup final!!?) Needless to say the football was scrapy, and tired looking, with Redruth looking quite lethargic during the first half. (With all the waiting around though I can't say Im suprised). Gulval managed to score two early goals, from a player who I hear was brought in from St Just combo side for this game - could be just a rumour though. Redruth were brighter in the second half and scored a good goal 20 mins from time. They then hit the bar, post and had numerous efforts cleared from the line. Gulval hung on to win, but in a tired fashion, as the game was generally played. The Redruth captain was also taken to hospital early in the second half after a nasty challenge resulting in a facial injury. This summed your day up really - you boys were unlucky and just didnt get the rub of the green. You were early, together, well presented and tried to prapare the best you could, but didnt turn up on the pitch and were let down by some poor organisation. After your recent run of form over the past 3 - 4 months, you deserved more. Well done Gulval to hang on in the end. All in all, not a great finals day. I just hope in future a bit more thought is put into the planning of it all so that the players and spectators can fully enjoy a good cup final, they dont come that often after all...

Earth calling cosmo, earth calling cosmo....nah mate, you got most of that wrong. Two finals on the same day, yep, that always happens (do you not often watch these events then)? You say that Gulval arrived 20 minutes after Redruth, giving them about 50 minutes to prepare before kick-off? My god, they wouldn't have known what to do for 45 minutes, being that normal arrival time on a Saturdasy is 2.20pm! Ah, the bar was open, a finals day, probably wanted to catch some atmosphere and a couple of Stellas before geetting going. Did your source for the Jowan May story also inform you that Osama Bin Laden was also seen shopping at Pool Market last week? No, oh, just wondered.

One reason why Redruth lost and Gulval won, goals scored. One reason why Chelsea won and Spurs lost, goals scored.

Well done Gulval, a deserved win!

Thanks to Darren and his lads, who were ALL gracious in defeat :smiley20:

It was a fiercely contested final, with the team who had the most desire winning.

Hope Redruths skipper is ok, he got injured jumping in to our midfielder, who also took a cut to the head.

VERY PROUD of my lads for what they have achieved this season,and, as Darren said, its now time to prepare for the remainder of a good season and try and finish as high up the league as possible :clapper:

M.O.M = Mark Bell, too much for Redruth to handle at times.

Thanks to Darren and his lads, who were ALL gracious in defeat :smiley20:

It was a fiercely contested final, with the team who had the most desire winning.

Hope Redruths skipper is ok, he got injured jumping in to our midfielder, who also took a cut to the head.

VERY PROUD of my lads for what they have achieved this season,and, as Darren said, its now time to prepare for the remainder of a good season and try and finish as high up the league as possible :clapper:

M.O.M = Mark Bell, too much for Redruth to handle at times.

Just back from a mini break on Dartmoor and wanted to go on record and say how pleased I am to see Gulval back winning Trophies. Congratulations to Rob and Rhonnda for steering the club through to the final and beating what I know will have been a good Redruth side.

I echo Rhonnda's sentiment when it comes to Reduth Utd. A proper club with a sensible likeable guy at the helm. It was many years before Darren brought his club to the top table of Mining League football. It will not be long before he will be winning trophies at that level.

Well Done Gulval. Ad Metam !