Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Youth result.

South West Counties Youth Championship.

Cornwall 5 Dorset 2.

At Kernick Road, Penryn Athletic FC.

Cornwall 2 nil down after an hour scored 5 times in the last 20 minutes to win a pulsating game at Kernick Road.

Cornwall goalscorers were Connor Mewton, Ben Rosevear, James Ward, Jack Lawrence and an own goal.

Next game..Cornwall v Devon at St.Austell...Saturday 19th March. 2.00pm.

South West Counties Youth Championship.

Cornwall 5 Dorset 2.

At Kernick Road, Penryn Athletic FC.

Cornwall 2 nil down after an hour scored 5 times in the last 20 minutes to win a pulsating game at Kernick Road.

Cornwall goalscorers were Connor Mewton, Ben Rosevear, James Ward, Jack Lawrence and an own goal.

Next game..Cornwall v Devon at St.Austell...Saturday 19th March. 2.00pm.

Why does this have to be on a Saturday afternoon ? It is a local derby, play it midweek or Sat morning and give the lads a chance to represent the clubs that have brought them on.

The FA & CCFA say they support clubs that have youth policies, it's the way forward, blah blah blah. Really ? For years, Newquay have suffered with the rule that you cannot call off SWPL games when players are called up for County games, something has to change !

We have a NIL playing budget so have to bring youngsters through, where is the CCFA support for the clubs policy of youth development ? I'm not saying that clubs should boycott the County games, the lads should represent the County if they are good enough, but NOT at the expense of the parent clubs.

Purely on a financial note (that'll make them sit up in the Bodmin Ivory Towers) why not play some of the Youth matches at a time when no other games are on, 11.30am as an example, you will find that supporters will be able to take in the Youth game and watch their own clubs game too.

Why does this have to be on a Saturday afternoon ? It is a local derby, play it midweek or Sat morning and give the lads a chance to represent the clubs that have brought them on.

The FA & CCFA say they support clubs that have youth policies, it's the way forward, blah blah blah. Really ? For years, Newquay have suffered with the rule that you cannot call off SWPL games when players are called up for County games, something has to change !

We have a NIL playing budget so have to bring youngsters through, where is the CCFA support for the clubs policy of youth development ? I'm not saying that clubs should boycott the County games, the lads should represent the County if they are good enough, but NOT at the expense of the parent clubs.

Purely on a financial note (that'll make them sit up in the Bodmin Ivory Towers) why not play some of the Youth matches at a time when no other games are on, 11.30am as an example, you will find that supporters will be able to take in the Youth game and watch their own clubs game too.

I'm guessing you're a bit sore that Newquay lost today then Judge? :huh:

I'm guessing you're a bit sore that Newquay lost today then Judge? :huh:

Been saying it for years, but the Dinosaurs won't listen. As for todays game, just shows what a difference some players make. Last week we had Carne & Hilton and destroyed 13 SWPL match unbeaten Plymstock away - this week without those 2, we struggled to get any momentum. Our squad is too small due to a Zero budget, so it does make a huge difference when players are unavailable for any reason.

However, when the reason is avoidable by the powers that be, then you have to ask, do they have the future of the players or clubs at heart ? Being without 2,3 or 4 players for 4 or 5 County matches a season, can ruin a clubs promotion hopes. It is hard enough with just one club to go up, to get out of the West Div.

Anyway, well done to the County Youth boys, especially Jamie Ward (ex-Peppermint) who scored.

Smudge,

I think Nemesis is only trying to state that we would have had a better chance of winning today if we had our 2 county youth players with us, which I am sure you would agree with?

No-one like to lose ,so yes I expect he was disappointed,as were our team.

Nemesis has just posted some facts. We aren't paying this season, we have a small squad and we suffer when the county youth play as we have and always looked at developing young players in the 1st team. This season we havent been able to replace those players as easily.

The issue of when they play is another headache but playing early wouldn't solve the problem as the boys can't play 2 games in the same day. May get more support though but travelling for the away teams is the issue there!!

Some people just come on here to wind people up and make digs.

If you don't post when you lose its because you are a bad loser loser and if you do post its sour grapes!!

Yesterday's squad was:

Ben Hurst

Lewis Hilton, James Ward, Jack Lowden, Adam Solomon

Danny Carne, Ben Rosevear, Cody Cooke, Tom Annear

Tim Nixon, Jack Lawrence

Subs:

Ryan Barnes, Billy Curtis, Zack Williams, Connor Mewton

Thanks for your good wishes, our players played with immense spirit and only had to look at the badge on their shirt to find inspiration to come back from a two goal deficit.

As for the rest of the stuff mentioned on this thread, I'm sick to death of trying to defend our position. Some people know what they know, but sadly they don't know what they don't know!

Thanks Grant, but why can't young fit lads play twice a day or even turn out as a sub for the parent club later the same day ? Is there some rule nowadays that no one bothered with back in the 80's when I played.

Tommy, no one would wish to deprive the lads the chance of County honours, but no one has answered any of the points about clubs suffering either. You just dismiss the argument by stating indirectly, that the CCFA are right and sod everyone else, which we all know from history is bunkum.

And just to repeat once again, WELL DONE LADS !

Some people just come on here to wind people up and make digs.

Grant I had no intention at all of trying to wind anyone up on here and I'm sorry if I gave that impression - I know Nemesis, am very fond of him and greatly admire his passion for Newquay football club. I am a great believer that we should maintain the ancient art of "banter" within Cornish football and if you took that as me trying to wind anyone up then I apologise. HOWEVER... I know for a fact that the CCFA give clubs ample notice of matches so that clubs can look at their fixtures and evaluate how many, if any, of their players they can free up for County games. No-one forces clubs to release their players and I know that Tommy fully understands if managers ring him and explain that they need their players for a big game - County were without Chris Luxton for exactly that reason yesterday. Jim Hilton has always been a great supporter of County football and I'm sure Tommy Matthews and all at the CCFA thank him for that. On a lighter note - what a game it was! Many Cornwall supporters would gladly have taken a 2-2 draw before James Ward decided it was about time he found the back of the net and the fourth goal, scored straight from a Dorset kick-off, was pure magic. Well done to all the boys who played their socks off :clapper: Best of luck to the County lads in the game against Devon in 2 weeks time.

Ok. Next time we play Dorset, we'll arrange an 11.30am kick-off. That will mean they need to arrive at 10.30am. So they need to leave Dorset at around 6am! No problems there then unless they come down the night before...that won't cost much either.

And as for playing twice in a day! I can't believe what I've just read! To say I'm flabbergasted doesn't do it justice. My players had nothing left in the tank yesterday and were absolutely knackered after a really high-tempo game that was end-to-end stuff. They may be young and fit but another game after that would bound to cause injury through sheer exhaustion, overuse, inability to skip dangerous challenges through fatigue etc, etc.

If I even gave that idea a second thought people would seriously be asking questions as to whether I had learnt anything at all in my years as a qualified coach working in football development. Just because you and I did it in the 80's doesn't make it right.

If you don't think I have dialogue with managers and officials from clubs, ask Jim who called him at 10.00pm last Monday night, and he's just one of many.

We are obliged to give two weeks notice to clubs to let them know that we would like to take their players, regretably both Chris Luxton and Luke Doddridge were not released yesterday. Managers have the final say on who they choose to release, but don't forget the big-game experience players get from playing county football and how that can benefit them back at club level.

Thanks Grant and Smudge, glad you enjoyed the game, do you think those lads could have played another game after that one?

Any reason why the Devon game cannot be midweek or Friday night, other than St Austell do not yet have floodlights ? College ends about 3.30pm so a 7.45pm kick off even coming from Exeter is hardly a problem if the game was say at Saltash or Bodmin.

Newquay AFC fully support County Youth games, always have done and hopefully, always will. We have the biggest Junior and Youth set up in the County, Jim oversees everything and does a fantastic job. Not only that, several of the more senior players have been involved in bringing the youngsters on. One day, it will all come to fruition and Newquay will have a major production line of talent, with or without the support of the CCFA.

All I am asking is for a little give and take, when games can be played on alternative days, why can't serious thought be given to helping the clubs that support the County Youth ?.

Any reason why the Devon game cannot be midweek or Friday night, other than St Austell do not yet have floodlights ? College ends about 3.30pm so a 7.45pm kick off even coming from Exeter is hardly a problem if the game was say at Saltash or Bodmin.

Newquay AFC fully support County Youth games, always have done and hopefully, always will. We have the biggest Junior and Youth set up in the County, Jim oversees everything and does a fantastic job. Not only that, several of the more senior players have been involved in bringing the youngsters on. One day, it will all come to fruition and Newquay will have a major production line of talent, with or without the support of the CCFA.

All I am asking is for a little give and take, when games can be played on alternative days, why can't serious thought be given to helping the clubs that support the County Youth ?.

I can see the point you're trying to make Nemesis but you need to look at the "big picture" of the weekly schedule of these kids. As well as Saturday games some play under 18s on a Sunday and some are currently playing college football matches during the day on a Monday and Wednesday as well as training for college and club during the week - a mid-week County game would just add to their already heavy workload and dramatically increase the risk of injury (don't forget these lads are only 16 or 17 years old).

Can some one explain to me how a club like Bodmin can refuse to release players for the county youth

and also the club who Luke Doddridge plays for ,when other clubs are expected to release players.

It appears to be one rule for one , and one for another.

Ok. Next time we play Dorset, we'll arrange an 11.30am kick-off. That will mean they need to arrive at 10.30am. So they need to leave Dorset at around 6am! No problems there then unless they come down the night before...that won't cost much either.

And as for playing twice in a day! I can't believe what I've just read! To say I'm flabbergasted doesn't do it justice. My players had nothing left in the tank yesterday and were absolutely knackered after a really high-tempo game that was end-to-end stuff. They may be young and fit but another game after that would bound to cause injury through sheer exhaustion, overuse, inability to skip dangerous challenges through fatigue etc, etc.

If I even gave that idea a second thought people would seriously be asking questions as to whether I had learnt anything at all in my years as a qualified coach working in football development. Just because you and I did it in the 80's doesn't make it right.

If you don't think I have dialogue with managers and officials from clubs, ask Jim who called him at 10.00pm last Monday night, and he's just one of many.

We are obliged to give two weeks notice to clubs to let them know that we would like to take their players, regretably both Chris Luxton and Luke Doddridge were not released yesterday. Managers have the final say on who they choose to release, but don't forget the big-game experience players get from playing county football and how that can benefit them back at club level.

Thanks Grant and Smudge, glad you enjoyed the game, do you think those lads could have played another game after that one?

Scrolling down this thread, this is what exactly popped into my mind. If these are the County's best young players, then they must be given appropriate development opportunities and protection at the right times.

Keep going Tommy - you're doing a great job, and obviously have a good appreciation of wider issues of player development and welfare. If only everybody involved in Cornish Football was on the same wavelength. Now there's a thought.......

There are two sets of rules.

If you play in the Peninsula Leagues the managers of the teams have the final say. If you play JCCL or ECPL which are both under the governance of the CCFA then I can request the player to play for the county. The step system requires teams not to pospone their fixture but they can bring them forward. This of course is highly unlikely.

However, we DO try to work with all the clubs as managers will testify if you ask them, and try to be reasonable when selecting players.

Keep going Tommy - you're doing a great job, and obviously have a good appreciation of wider issues of player development and welfare. If only everybody involved in Cornish Football was on the same wavelength. Now there's a thought.......

First of all I would like to congratulate the Cornwall Youth team, Tommy, and his coaching staff on a great comeback last Saturday.

We are on a public forum and in a freedom to speak country so let’s not digest the negatives too much about this subject, surely Nemesis is just asking the question about other alternatives which seems fair to me, I have read Tommy's comments and fully understand the content of his post and agree with what he has said.

We at Hayle have three players currently in the county squad and are all very proud of the lads, as the manager I would never say "no" you are not playing for your county . I don’t know why Bodmin didn’t release their players and it's not our place to debate this without knowing the facts.

I'm sure Tommy is fully aware of all implications that may arise from managers concerned of losing 2 or 3 players which we had this weekend. Luckily this year we do not have relegation within the Peninsula west league, but losing three players did weaken our side without a doubt, I cannot see a happy medium as per Tommy's reply to be honest.

The lads who are selected are now adults and if they choose county over club then my personal thoughts would be let them play for Cornwall. It will arise one day that a club fighting for relegation or promotion may place pressure on that individual, but we need to let the player decide, i would hope the concerned individual would have more respect for me for doing this, rather than me being selfish based on my own agenda as a club manager.

Good Luck to Cornwall Youth for the rest of the season.

Anthony Reynolds

Hayle FC

Thanks Guys once again for your good wishes!

Bad luck on Saturday Stuart, When you get to that stage of the Vase, subtle differences in the leagues you play in, and taking your half-chances when you get them are often the difference between winning and losing.

The Devon game will be interesting. Six of the current squad will be in Japan with the college team plus other unavailable players. However, we have been busy selecting players for that fixture at St.Austell on March 19th and the response we're getting is extremely positive.

Before anyone asks the reason why we are playing the fixture on that date. We had two games called off before Christmas due to rain and then snow. We were unable to re-arrange games until now because other counties had games already booked on dates we were able to play on, and we're not allowed to play fixtures in April due to SW Counties rules, even though the final is not until May!

Good luck against Devon Tommy, it wasn't to be for us on Saturday, but Poole were very good going forward, we spent a lot of time on the back foot, thanks for your message - and Rossi!

Don't forget, Professor, The Peninsula League covers two Counties...

How was your afternoon yesterday by the way Prof? SAF not doing interviews again now as he can't control himself...two defeats in a week, must surely be the Ref/Linesman/Pitch/Weather/next doors cat's fault, no chance of getting beaten by the better side on the day in his world eh?

"I'm sure you Scousers enjoyed your mini cup final. We'll enjoy laughing at you on Channel 5 again next season! "

Hey, don't knock it Ryan, at least we don't have to listen to Gray, Souness, Redknapp and Gullit anymore...Pat Nevin knows his football...you'll find out soon enough, once old Red Nose realises he's done long enough and Keane, Strachan, Bruce, Robson or Hughes comes in to naff it up for you!

Hope you're well mate.

"I'm sure you Scousers enjoyed your mini cup final. We'll enjoy laughing at you on Channel 5 again next season! "

Hey, don't knock it Ryan, at least we don't have to listen to Gray, Souness, Redknapp and Gullit anymore...Pat Nevin knows his football...you'll find out soon enough, once old Red Nose realises he's done long enough and Keane, Strachan, Bruce, Robson or Hughes comes in to naff it up for you!

Hope you're well mate.

Radio St Austell Bay will always have reports and interviews of Cornwall Youth Football.

I believe there is only one player at bodmin that can be called up for the county team, there is more then one facter to consider though, not just to release a player, how big is the clubs squad, are all players avaliable, who are they playing against and most of all how important is that player to the team. These are all things that need to be considered by the manager, i do believe the player has been released in the past but not when the county games clash with big games for Bodmin, Bodmin have not broken any rules and i am sure the manager and Tommy have talked and come to some sort of an arrangement that suits both party's aswell as the player, not just in this case but in any other case aswell.