Cornwall Football Forum

County .Under 18 Quarter Finals.

Sunday sees the Quarter Finals of the County Under 18 Knockout Cup 'Rathbone Trophy' being played. And with a fine if not a trifle cold day in prospect we should see all the scheduled ties takeing place.

At Gololphin Way, Godolphin Atlantic entertain Launceston which could well be considered the tie of the round. Cup holders Penryn Athletic host Helston Athletic whilst Saltash Utd Juniors have a home tie against Bodmin Saints. Illogan RBL have a bye.

One outstanding tie remains in the 3rd round of the County Under 16 'A.H.Luke Trophy' and again a fine,dry weekend should prove no problem for St.Cleer and Bodmin Youth to conclude this much postponed tie. The winners away to Saltash Youth next weekend. :c:

Saltash United Juniors have a walkover after Bodmin Saints could not raise a side for todays fixture.

Couldn't raise a team!!!!!!????? Bit poor isn't it?

Now, as to your er, question, Mr Deacon maybe you might know how difficult it is to get at least a dozen seventeen-year-olds to a football match on a Sunday afternoon? Not a difficult task; you might think. The hardest part of which might be in finding which floor all of them are still still sleeping on, who has puked on who and who is soon to enjoy the the pleasures of teenage fatherhood!

You can take it from me; Saints Youth is now and forever, no more!

However Saints Duchy Prem' side are thriving!

Saltash United Juniors have a walkover after Bodmin Saints could not raise a side for todays fixture.

Couldn't raise a team!!!!!!????? Bit poor isn't it?

You're very quiet all of a sudden Mr Deacon. Do you, have you ever attempted to field an under eighteen side? You made a snide comment and now seem unable to follow it up. I'm waiting .......

Unable to follow it up? Couldn't be bothered really as I always get the feeling that I've upset someone when I get referred to as "Mr Deacon" and therefore would a worthwhile debate follow when obviously what I had written wasn't appreciated!

However, no doubt Saltash United Juniors didn't appreciate either having a game on Sunday. Ok, one might say they have got through another round of the Cup competition, but I'm sure on the day, they would rather have had a game instead of reward via default.

I stand by my original comment, however snide it was considered. At the end of the day, I consider it hugely disappointing that a team should be entered into a competition,albeit before the start of the season, but then have to withdraw part way through!

No, I haven't ever had to get a team of youngsters together, so I haven't got a clue what it's like; but to me it seems irresponsible to enter a team unless you know for sure it will last at least the season.

So, where does the problem stem from - is it the players themselves? Is it over zealous parents and management (sometimes they are the same)? Is it poor management of the league or, in this case the CCFA, in not ensuring that clubs that enter are serious about playing? Or possibly is it the fault of the coaching set-up we have now where team football is experienced from such a young age that by the time they get to either the Under 16 or Under 18 levels, they're all coached out and can't be bothered! Of course it could be the youth of today!

Only the other day I heard a clip on BBC Radio Cornwall where a Plymouth Argyle coach was so upbeat about a session they had held for 3 year olds. "Three years old" – far too young, never mind how informal the organised session may have been!

Deep down though is there an endemic problem at organising football for this particular age group (U-18)? The better players hopefully have games on the Saturday in any case.

I watched an earlier round tie between Bodmin (not the now defunct Saints) and Penryn, and that was the first game Bodmin had been able to raise a full side for this season. Even then they lost by a landslide in a game where I left disappointed by the standard I had witnessed.

Then this Sunday just gone, on a beautiful day for football, both for watching and playing, I thought I would take in the Godolphin v Launceston tie. Well that's what I thought! I arrived at a very empty and quiet ground for the two o'clock kick-off. No signs or notices on display to advise the game was off, but it was, much to my surprise! Called off at a ridiculously early 10 o'clock that morning with the pitch being described as "rough from day before and frozen".

I walked the pitch and left it amazed that the game was not on, that pitch was, in my eyes, totally playable, which leaves me thinking (cynically perhaps but) that either Godolphin had another reason for not playing, or no one could be bothered!

Unable to follow it up? Couldn't be bothered really as I always get the feeling that I've upset someone when I get referred to as "Mr Deacon" and therefore would a worthwhile debate follow when obviously what I had written wasn't appreciated!

However, no doubt Saltash United Juniors didn't appreciate either having a game on Sunday. Ok, one might say they have got through another round of the Cup competition, but I'm sure on the day, they would rather have had a game instead of reward via default.

I stand by my original comment, however snide it was considered. At the end of the day, I consider it hugely disappointing that a team should be entered into a competition,albeit before the start of the season, but then have to withdraw part way through!

No, I haven't ever had to get a team of youngsters together, so I haven't got a clue what it's like; but to me it seems irresponsible to enter a team unless you know for sure it will last at least the season.

So, where does the problem stem from - is it the players themselves? Is it over zealous parents and management (sometimes they are the same)? Is it poor management of the league or, in this case the CCFA, in not ensuring that clubs that enter are serious about playing? Or possibly is it the fault of the coaching set-up we have now where team football is experienced from such a young age that by the time they get to either the Under 16 or Under 18 levels, they're all coached out and can't be bothered! Of course it could be the youth of today!

Only the other day I heard a clip on BBC Radio Cornwall where a Plymouth Argyle coach was so upbeat about a session they had held for 3 year olds. "Three years old" – far too young, never mind how informal the organised session may have been!

Deep down though is there an endemic problem at organising football for this particular age group (U-18)? The better players hopefully have games on the Saturday in any case.

I watched an earlier round tie between Bodmin (not the now defunct Saints) and Penryn, and that was the first game Bodmin had been able to raise a full side for this season. Even then they lost by a landslide in a game where I left disappointed by the standard I had witnessed.

Then this Sunday just gone, on a beautiful day for football, both for watching and playing, I thought I would take in the Godolphin v Launceston tie. Well that's what I thought! I arrived at a very empty and quiet ground for the two o'clock kick-off. No signs or notices on display to advise the game was off, but it was, much to my surprise! Called off at a ridiculously early 10 o'clock that morning with the pitch being described as "rough from day before and frozen".

I walked the pitch and left it amazed that the game was not on, that pitch was, in my eyes, totally playable, which leaves me thinking (cynically perhaps but) that either Godolphin had another reason for not playing, or no one could be bothered!

No upset here whatsoever. Surely to call someone Mr is a sign of reapect? Always was.

By the way, our first opponents (Bude) in the Rathbone trophby also pulled out before the game.

I had a long conversation with the Saltash secretary when I called him to cancel the game. He was in no way upset with Saints and in fact symaphised knowing the problems I have previously mentioned.

David/Mr Bray,

Whilst I agree with most of your comments, I would like to put the record straight:-

The GROUNDSMAN called off the game due to the pitch being cut up from the first team game on the Saturday. The Godolphin had 16 players to choose from and all were very keen to play.

Clubs spend thousands of pounds on pitches trying to create a playing surface that is conducive to good football not some kick around on a mud bath of a pitch. Whilst in your eyes the pitch was playable, in our groundsman's eyes it wasn't and that's all that counts. Both teams competed in a league game a couple of weeks ago which Launceston won 3-2 in a very good competitive game of football. Hopefully if the weather is good and the pitch holds up after the second team play on it on Saturday, the fixture will be able to go ahead.

I would suggest in future you ring the Godolphin to check the game is on, as I am not aware there is any obligation to tell everyone in Cornwall the fixture is off just the opposition, referee and the CCFA.

Hope to see you there this Sunday, please make yourself known to our groundsmen i'm sure they will put you right.

The GROUNDSMAN called off the game due to the pitch being cut up from the first team game on the Saturday.

But the game wasn't called off until the Sunday morning, why the delay if it was due to the state of the pitch!

I would suggest in future you ring the Godolphin to check the game is on, as I am not aware there is any obligation to tell everyone in Cornwall the fixture is off just the opposition, referee and the CCFA.

I'm not saying there is an obligation to tell everyone, but surely something could have been posted at the ground to suggest why no one was there!

Hope to see you there this Sunday, please make yourself known to our groundsmen i'm sure they will put you right.

Put me right? That pitch was more playable, that's right enough for me thanks!

i find it surprising, that when we know under 18s team pull out during the season, a team can be expelled from the cup when they play a a 2 month too old player, who normally plays outfield in duchy 5, in goal! surely everyone would want the game to go ahead rather than grampound concede the game because they can't raise a side?

i find it surprising, that when we know under 18s team pull out during the season, a team can be expelled from the cup when they play a a 2 month too old player, who normally plays outfield in duchy 5, in goal! surely everyone would want the game to go ahead rather than grampound concede the game because they can't raise a side?

I find it surprising that you can even make this statement! If a player is 2 months too old, then he should not be allowed to play for the team at all, and should never have signed in the first place. ( The rules are there to be adhered to )

What would have happened if the match had gone ahead and the said team won through, eventually to the final????

I find it surprising that you can even make this statement! If a player is 2 months too old, then he should not be allowed to play for the team at all, and should never have signed in the first place. ( The rules are there to be adhered to )

What would have happened if the match had gone ahead and the said team won through, eventually to the final????

Have to agree with Team Rep - laws are laws!

The GROUNDSMAN called off the game due to the pitch being cut up from the first team game on the Saturday.

But the game wasn't called off until the Sunday morning, why the delay if it was due to the state of the pitch!

I'm not saying there is an obligation to tell everyone, but surely something could have been posted at the ground to suggest why no one was there!

Put me right? That pitch was more playable, that's right enough for me thanks! thumbsup.gif

You are really starting to get up my nose, people put in a lot of their FREE time and their own MONEY into getting football pitches/matches organised and played. May I point out that since there are ONLY 5 teams in the under 18 East league (which means there are only 8 league games to play over the whole season) there are a lot of free Sunday's available to play a match and surely if a game is to be played it is better to be played on the best playing surface possible. Launceston are a good footballing side as thier position in the league suggests and I am sure was the fixture to have been played at their ground and the pitch was questionable or in doubt, they too would have made the same decision and we too would have accepted their judgement.

Who are you to come on here and suggest we cannot be bothered? and then make the childish quote:-

That pitch was more playable, that's right enough for me thanks!

Once again, I will say that it is upto our Groundsmen and NOT you to say whether a game is to be played on it or not!

I do hope you show your face on Sunday, we are all dying to meet you!

Thats an interesting point, i thought the referee was the person with jurisdiction to call off a game not the groundsman.

Not sure that's completely true. The Dragon Centre here in Bodmin have called off games for us I believe and rightly so at the time. Think common sense can enter the matter on occasion. Long may it reign - or rain - sorry couldn't resist the pun.

i agree laws are laws, but this isnt the FA cup. we need to to stop under 18s teams pulling out, yet you can still kick out a team for trying toactually get a game on instead of pulling out like many other teams have done?...

No, but it is the 'Rathbone Cup', which in Cornwall teams take seriously! You still seem to be missing the point, that if a player is too old (no matter how much), they are not eligible to play.

I've been involved with a Youth Football Club for several years and sadly there were similar situations with teams pulling out of both league and cup competitions, when our teams progressed through to U16s and U18s. Only on one occasion were we unable to field a full team for an U18s league match, so we played the game with ten players. Would this not have been an alternative, or you could have considered registering one or two 16 year olds beforehand, as back-up, as these are eligibile to play for U18s, and the fixture could have been fulfilled in a sporting manner, rather than your team being disqualified!

i agree laws are laws, but this isnt the FA cup. we need to to stop under 18s teams pulling out, yet you can still kick out a team for trying toactually get a game on instead of pulling out like many other teams have done?...

No, but it is the 'Rathbone Cup', which in Cornwall teams take seriously! You still seem to be missing the point, that if a player is too old (no matter how much), they are not eligible to play.

I've been involved with a Youth Football Club for several years and sadly there were similar situations with teams pulling out of both league and cup competitions, when our teams progressed through to U16s and U18s. Only on one occasion were we unable to field a full team for an U18s league match, so we played the game with ten players. Would this not have been an alternative, or you could have considered registering one or two 16 year olds beforehand, as back-up, as these are eligibile to play for U18s, and the fixture could have been fulfilled in a sporting manner, rather than your team being disqualified!

Well put, Team Rep!

to be honest with hindsight, this would have been the better option, but with players pulling out at the last minutem unfortunately we were left in the uncomfortable postion of 10 players and no keeper or 11 players... we chose the 11 players

as it so happened we dominated the game and probs didnt need the 11th player, but i guess whats done is done

Thats an interesting point, i thought the referee was the person with jurisdiction to call off a game not the groundsman.

To clarify, Referees appointed for matches in the Rathbone and Luke Trophy do have the option to travel to the home team venue and have the final word on whether the ground is fit for play. However I believe that in 9 out of 10 cases they will accept the word of the home club secretary if they say the ground is unplayable. They can also call upon a colleague who lives in the area to do an inspection on his/her behalf, but again I gather this rarely happens.

Who are you to come on here and suggest we cannot be bothered? and then make the childish quote:-

That pitch was more playable, that's right enough for me thanks!

Once again, I will say that it is upto our Groundsmen and NOT you to say whether a game is to be played on it or not!

I do hope you show your face on Sunday, we are all dying to meet you!

You see my comment as "childish", to the same amount as I saw a playable pitch on Sunday.

If there are only a handful of teams to play each other, why not wait until the latter part of the season when the weather is possibly a little more reliable and that way the pitches can be saved. Let's face it, Sunday competitions always get the rough end of the stick at this time of the year.

As for watching the match this coming Sunday, I've already arranged to watch another one, probably more chance of it being on. Some other time perhaps though.

And so; what is your point Mr Deacon?

Of course you are wrong. The landlords can also call off a game.

Wrong about what?

And what's the point of the landlords comment?

Look, I'm getting bored; to be honest but I'll give it one more try: if the Dragon Centre deem the pitch unplayable - are you keeping up? - then that means we can't play - which means we can't play. Comprende?

And so; what is your point Mr Deacon?

Of course you are wrong. The landlords can also call off a game.

Wrong about what?

And what's the point of the landlords comment?

Look, I'm getting bored; to be honest but I'll give it one more try: if the Dragon Centre deem the pitch unplayable - are you keeping up? - then that means we can't play - which means we can't play. Comprende?

Dave, Mister Deacon even, you are a so-called; highly respected feller around these parts in football terms; it seems. Wouldn't it be better to enhance your reputation rather than allow it to diminish? You're just getting silly now. My reply was quite clear.

Yes, of course I'm keeping up!

I appreciate what you write, but I think the situation you quote is slightly different in as much as the Dragon Centre have no direct allegiance to your team.

Homework, Dave, do your homework. OOOps, I called you Dave. Does that mean we are friends now?

Listen mate, stuff happens. Stuff even happened this very evening. What, I hear you ask. All in good time, all in good time. What are you like at word-eating, Dave?

Homework, Dave, do your homework. OOOps, I called you Dave. Does that mean we are friends now?

Listen mate, stuff happens. Stuff even happened this very evening. What, I hear you ask. All in good time, all in good time. What are you like at word-eating, Dave?

If I understood what you're getting at, I'd try and answer, but ................

thumbsup.gif If I understood what you're getting at, I'd try and answer, but ................wacko.gif

Then maybe it is time to retreat with some semblance of self-respect. If you don't understand then maybe you should participate in something you do??

As Mr Bray intimated in the original post the Godolphin v Launceston game is probably the tie of the round and after seeing the league game a couple of weeks ago, this definately bears this out. As for the cup game, well the G players were up for it but a look at this weeks Guardian gives an indication of the state of the pitch during the first teams cup game v Sticker.

As previously mentioned not many teams in the U18s, so no great dramas in fitting fixtures in and Im guessing that senior teams are going to have priority in terms of pitch recovery.

Nanks, to address your point, their is a wide range of skill within an U18 side, with some players turning out for senior sides, reserve sides and some just for the U18's.

There is a place for U18s, and with regards to putting out a team, its worth noting that the town of Newquay has healthy U18 squads at Godolphin and Newquay. More a product of the respective teams youth set-up than the nature of 17/18 year olds I would suggest.

thumbsup.gif If I understood what you're getting at, I'd try and answer, but ................wacko.gif

Then maybe it is time to retreat with some semblance of self-respect. If you don't understand then maybe you should participate in something you do??

I know, I know, I should have reciprocated with a funny face. You'll have to take my word for it; I am!

the state of the pitch

A little bit of mud in the goalmouths? Surely no more than expected at this time of the season. However, I stand with my first thought that on the Sunday, in my opinion, the pitch appeared to be totally playable and if I was 17/18 again, I would have been disappointed not to have been playing on a day when the weather was perfect.

However, the groundsmen had the say so and they felt the pitch on the Sunday morning wasn't. Shame!

Dave, as someone who knows one of the players very well, yes he was disappointed not to play, as Im sure the rest of the team was. These decisions however are not in their hands.

Oh well, hopefully this Sunday will allow it to be played. I just feel it was a shame that the decision to call the game off last week was made so early in the day.

The thing is, Dave, me old mate; when decisions are made late in the day; people get riled after travelling, don't they! It's a no-win situation.

You're quite right, however it's Launceston the opposition was coming from, not the other side of the country. Surely could have hung on a little longer than the time that the decision was made.