Cornwall Football Forum

Are Spurs a "big" club?

gillo10

Can I just say, it has to be massive congratulations to Spurs for their achievement in their group.

Mangle, You may just have found yourself a new friend for 5 minutes but be warned it does not last for long.

You will now be best buddies with god almighty himself until you make the dreaded mistake of putting down the team, When i say the team i am of course reffering to the only BIG club on this forum, You know the one who breaks all records, beats everyone in there sight (Except the COCKNEYBOYS) and of course have completed the champions league group stages for the first time ever? (Not that Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelski have been doing this season in season out).

:D

I have checked my stats,and can reply.

goldeneye has made a very good point with Spurs accumalating the least amount of points to WIN a group.

This makes Spurs achievement even better,because it proves that they were in the most difficult group.

It would have been great to play Braga,Partizan Belgrade,Bursapor,Rangers and the rubbish Chelsea had to face,but we were

draw in the Group of Death.To think that some football experts on here even predicted Spurs could fail to qualify to the

group stages,especially when Young Boys had us 3-0 down.

Thank you ,Mangle,that must have hurt,so fair play to you.

I will be honest,I cant believe Arsenal has f---ed this Group up.After 3 games they were top with 9pts.Should have won it

at a canter.

If they qualify,in 2nd place,you could face ,Barcelona,Real Madrid ,or Bayern Munich.Not easy.

As for the West Ham fan.What the hell is he doing on here.His claim to fame ,is beating Spurs and Man Utd 2nds.

goldeneye has made a very good point with Spurs accumalating the least amount of points to WIN a group.

This makes Spurs achievement even better,because it proves that they were in the most difficult group.

:clapper: You realy do believe this as well don't you ffs (Brilliant) :clapper:

As for the West Ham fan.What the hell is he doing on here.His claim to fame ,is beating Spurs and Man Utd 2nds.

:clapper: I will say that your entertainment value goes up with nearly every post you make Spurfect. :clapper:

Have you managed to work it out yet? :wacko:

Just like to echo Mangle's comments. First year for Spurs in CL. I was one of those who pointed out, tongue in cheek, that they still had to get thro the Qual round(s). I fully expected them to do this and they did get a tough draw - the holders, no less, were in that group. Some may remember that Inter finished 2nd in their group last year but still went on to win the trophy (not something I expect them to do this year).

So unless the Arse manage to make a hash of tonites game, then all 4 English clubs will have got thro. The real work starts then.

There are no easy games now, the group winners should have the (slight?) advantage of a home 2nd leg but you still have to do it in the 1st leg to give yourselves a fighting chance. Looking forwaed to the draw. Spurs v Milan has a nice ring to it!

Spurs have had a rollercoaster ride in the Champions League.

What a fantastic effort by everyone.

From the very first minutes of the Qualifier over in Berne against Young Boys.

28 minutes gone,Young Boys 3 Tottenham 0.I thought,thats it.All over at the first hurdle.

Somehow Tottenham turned it around,and it all started.

I have been lucky enough to see all the Home games.Unbelievable entertainment.

The Group Stage is over,and we have finished top in a awkward group.

It will get tougher,but ,whatever happens,no Tottenham fan will forget their first go at Champions League football.

We have had horrendous injuries this season,but we have hung in there,and Harry has used the squad to the full potential.

Lets hope we can get some of the lads back,and maybe a couple of good signings in January,and who knows.

Im not saying we can win the Premiership or the Champions League.

One thing for sure,Spurs wont die,wondering.

Just a little game on Sunday against Chelsea,to help us forget the Champions League.

Some good points being made, and some silly comments too (as usual then)!

Spurfect, you had a tough group, but by accumulating the least number of points to win the group proves nothing. Werder Bremen are crap this year, 10th in the Bundesliga (which is the bottom half of the table!!). FC Twente are going well (2nd to PSV in Holland - but look at the league in Holland, apart from PSV and Ajax, I have not heard of the rest!!), and Inter are only 5th in Italy, 10 points off the leaders, who are AC Milan! You say "I think I would be ok with that" referring to drawing AC Milan in the knock-out stages. Are you sure? In any case, it doesn't matter who you draw, you will find there are very rarely easy games from here on in.

OK, you will point fingers at the Arsenal group. Let me save you the trouble. Partisan are top of their league with a Played 15, won 13, drawn 1, lost 1 record. Shaktar Donetsk are top of their league, with a played 19, won 17, drawn 1, lost 1 record. Braga are 8th out of 16 in Portugal, not doing well, but have a good home record, and atrocious away record, something Arsenal found out!

Then we have Mr. Somersetspur, saying things like "We (Spurs) have had horrendous injuries this season, but we have hung in there, and Harry has used the squad to the full potential......Im not saying we can win the Premiership or the Champions League....." the sort of things that Arsenal fans have dared to say each year for a number of years now - but always being shot down in flames. How dare we be "nearly successful" and blame our lack of success on anything other than "we are crap". Injuries, the number of games played (against quality opposition), and so on, valid reasons which make it tough at the top! However, Spurs are now allowed to say they are at the top, in the top competitions etc, but they're not going to win anything.....and it's "acceptable"?

I asked Spurfect what he would consider to be a successful year this year. I believe his reply was along the lines of, another top 4 finish to qualify for the Champions League, reaching the knock-out stages of this years Champions League, and a good domestic cup run. Hmmm, looking back over the last few years, if I apply the same criteria to Arsenal, we have had several "successful" seasons.

Good luck to all the English teams in the next round.

Here we go,all the Goons trying to turn a positive into a negative,when Spurs are concerned.

According to you lot,we must congratulate Ar23nal on their great achievement of finishing 2nd in

their difficult group,and will now face Barcelona,Real Madrid,Bayern Munich or Schalke.

Well done ,tremendous effort.

Meanwhile,Spurs done O.K. finishing top of their group,and Qualified with a game left.

Chuck,whatever stats at us,as you like.

You struggled in a s--t group,and will go out in the next round.

Here we go,all the Goons trying to turn a positive into a negative,when Spurs are concerned.

According to you lot,we must congratulate Ar23nal on their great achievement of finishing 2nd in

their difficult group,and will now face Barcelona,Real Madrid,Bayern Munich or Schalke.

Meanwhile,Spurs done O.K. finishing top of their group,and Qualified with a game left.

I'm sure you only come on this forum to see who will bite to your stupid senseless and childish posts. If as you have stated on a previous post you have no interest in Cornish football then why not F--K off and find a forum where they would be interested in the sh*t you spout. Really had enuff of this immature crap now :angry::angry: :angry2:

Do you know what I find in life....when you discuss subjects where there are clearly different views......the person who resorts to shouting/ignoring/throwing insults/childish behavior and so on do this as they find the ground they are standing on is perhaps not as strong as they thought (hoped) it was.

For your information, I am not trying to turn a positive into a negative. Read the posts. I guess you did that. Understand the posts. Perhaps you are unable to?

I am not asking you to congratulate Arsenal. Why do you say that?

Well done Spurs. In my book, you "out qualified" Arsenal in the group stages. You have won nothing yet. In the past, Arsenal have had some outstanding performances, beaten the best in the world, lost to the unknowns, played distinctly average on other occasions, and won nothing for 5 years.

Winning trophies is VERY difficult. That it what football is all about, winning trophies. Along the way, we win matches, and have fun in doing that, but for Christ's sake, keep you feet on the ground. By all means enjoy it, but why continually slag off everyone around you that dare imagine that you may not win anything this year. You are now living the experience others have already had, for a number of years (let's say, at the top of the league and in the Champions League)!! We have been here before, and the likes of you took the piss. Perhaps now it will dawn on you that winning the "top trophies" is almost the hunt for the holy grail. We are all after it, but every year, only 1 team wins each trophy.

Grow up please.

And hold on a minute, Arsenal struggled in a sh.t group? Why conclude that? We qualified a clear 3 points ahead of third placed team, with a +17 goal difference compared to them. We won 4 out of 6 games.

I agree with NDD. Go away!

I asked Spurfect what he would consider to be a successful year this year. I believe his reply was along the lines of, another top 4 finish to qualify for the Champions League, reaching the knock-out stages of this years Champions League, and a good domestic cup run. Hmmm, looking back over the last few years, if I apply the same criteria to Arsenal, we have had several "successful" seasons.

I have a question, When you say a good domestic cup run exactly what does that mean?

Domestic cups to me would be both the F.A Cup & the Carling Cup but i was told on here that Tottenham are a big club now and do not need to win the Carling Cup which i will also point out was called a Mickey Mouse Cup?

I also said that Mangle my old mucca your friendship with our not so local spuds supporter would not last and once again i was proved right.

Some good points being made, and some silly comments too (as usual then)!

Spurfect, you had a tough group, but by accumulating the least number of points to win the group proves nothing. Werder Bremen are crap this year, 10th in the Bundesliga (which is the bottom half of the table!!). FC Twente are going well (2nd to PSV in Holland - but look at the league in Holland, apart from PSV and Ajax, I have not heard of the rest!!), and Inter are only 5th in Italy, 10 points off the leaders, who are AC Milan! You say "I think I would be ok with that" referring to drawing AC Milan in the knock-out stages. Are you sure? In any case, it doesn't matter who you draw, you will find there are very rarely easy games from here on in.

OK, you will point fingers at the Arsenal group. Let me save you the trouble. Partisan are top of their league with a Played 15, won 13, drawn 1, lost 1 record. Shaktar Donetsk are top of their league, with a played 19, won 17, drawn 1, lost 1 record. Braga are 8th out of 16 in Portugal, not doing well, but have a good home record, and atrocious away record, something Arsenal found out!

Then we have Mr. Somersetspur, saying things like "We (Spurs) have had horrendous injuries this season, but we have hung in there, and Harry has used the squad to the full potential......Im not saying we can win the Premiership or the Champions League....." the sort of things that Arsenal fans have dared to say each year for a number of years now - but always being shot down in flames. How dare we be "nearly successful" and blame our lack of success on anything other than "we are crap". Injuries, the number of games played (against quality opposition), and so on, valid reasons which make it tough at the top! However, Spurs are now allowed to say they are at the top, in the top competitions etc, but they're not going to win anything.....and it's "acceptable"?

Good luck to all the English teams in the next round.

Your last section pretty much sums up the point I was making from the start. Top 4 and a cup run is not a SUCCESS any longer for Arseanl as they are, in my opinion, a big club. Having been very successful within the last 10-15years time and time again, when that success dwindles and you become nearly men but still big as you are still "there or there abouts" year after year. Spurs however have not had any prolonged success over any time therfore when they finish top 4 and reach a semi final this for them is a success. As I said before, if spurs are doing this year after year then fair enough but as yet that is not the case. I say I would rather have my targets set that little bit higher. Good luck to spurs, Harry seems a decent bloke with some decent players, shame some folk let you down, as is the case with most clubs.

Not sure about how good your champions league campaign has been so far, keep conceding goals at the current rate and you will soon be found out! And you were up against Rafa, the man is having another successful period trashing someone elses team and turning them in to a mediocre team!

Im not sure if any other forum members remember this post from earlier on in the year (See below)

Well my friends,you will be glad to know that my Tottenham Hotspur Season Ticket has arrived.

So you can all keep your little forum of friendship and happiness going,and supporting your little clubs.[New armchairs for the new season.?]

You will get your wish,of me disappearing,because Im off to watch the Spurs and their Champions League campaign.

Cheerio.

Not exactly a man of honour or his word (Which is a shame) :D

Absolute brill.

You want me off this forum.

Then you ask, where is he,when I dont reply promptly.

Now you digging up my posts from August

That post is true.Im off to watch the Spurs,and what do I do when Im not watching them.?

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Im just, so popular.

Where would this Forum be without me.

By the way,wont be around on Sunday.

Absolute brill.

You want me off this forum.

Then you ask, where is he,when I dont reply promptly.

Now you digging up my posts from August

That post is true.Im off to watch the Spurs,and what do I do when Im not watching them.?

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Im just, so popular.

Where would this Forum be without me.

By the way,wont be around on Sunday.

We'll be running around Tottenham with our willy's hanging out

We'll be running around Tottenham with our willy's hanging out

We'll be running around Tottenham

Running around Tottenham

Running around Tottenham with our willy's hanging out

Singing I've got foreskin haven't you (you f*****g jew)

Singing I've got foreskin haven't you (you f*****g jew)

Singing I've got foreskin

I've got foreskin

I've got foreskin haven't you (you f*****g jew)

I hope you hear this loud and clear on Sunday.

"Are Spurs a 'big' club?"

If ever there was a topic to bait Spurfect, this was the one....... and he falls for it everytime!

It is the age-old question, what constitutes a 'big' club. For me, there is no real logical way to quantify what a big is, every fan will think their own club is bigger than they are and their rivals smaller.

My humble opinion is that there very few 'big' clubs and the only way I pick them is from a feeling about a club, an intangible 'X Factor' that when the club is mentioned you immediately think that is a big club, based on no hard facts, but more an aura, a history, a mystique. It also depends on what era you grew up with, a 20 year old will have different ideas on what clubs are bigger than say, a 60 year old.

In European terms, I feel the 'big' teams are Man Utd, Liverpool, AC Milan, Internazionale, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Ajax

Within English leagues, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham, Leeds, Notts Forest, Aston Villa & Chelsea

As I said, there is no facts on which my lists are based, just a feeling.... and that is why it is a topic that always provokes such debate, because there is no real right or wrong, just opinions......... and that's what makes the world go round (as well as money of course!)

• 2 months later...

AND THE SPURS GO MARCHING ON.

GET IN THERE.

ARE YOU WATCHING AR23NAL.

Yes, we're watching. Avoiding me like the plague are you? Can't answer simple questions about your idiotic posts? Nevermind, your silence speaks a thousand words!

Gotta say Spurs are punching well above their weight. Good luck to them. The pressure intensifies even more now, and it will be interetsing to see how they manage to compete in the CL whilst trying to maintain their position in the PL. They will obviously wish to finish 4th or better in the PL, and as things with Chelsea are tighter than ever, it will be interesting to see Harry juggle the two competitions. It is still likely that Spurs do not win the CL, and finish 5th or lower in the PL. Would that be a disaster? Of course, they could lose the CL final and finish 4th, would that be success (winning nothing)?

The "horror" scenario is for Chelsea & Tott to finish 4th & 5th (in either order) and then met in the CL final. Winner takes all!!

Unlikely, but never say never.

Congrats to Tott for an excellent perfomance last night. Dawson & Gallas superb. Crouch treated badly by the ref.

Good performance??? Yes, they defended well, but created jack all. I was expecting Spurs to turn Milan over by 3 or 4 last night, but they never done anything, apart from bang diagonal ball after diagonal ball up to Crouch and hope for a knock down, I expected more. Best player on the pitch was Seedorf, he’s about 57 and he was class. Once again the game showed just how far English football – technically – is behind the foreign game, exciting Premier League yes! Quality Premier League no! Overall Spurs probably deserved to go through due to their showing in Milan.

Yes, Milan were technically better, knocked the ball around and kept hold of it! If they had someone up front other than that waste of space Ibrahimovich then Spurs would have had problems last night.

Inter hammered you at their place!! chased shadows for over an hour of that game!

I'm not saying Milan or Inter are better than Spurs, because I said all along that Spurs would beat Milan, but technically, the foreign clubs are far better than what England have out there.

As for Spurs fans chanting "are you watching Arsenal" last night. Proved how small time Spurs actually are.

Finishing 4th is far more important for Spurs if you ask me! Can't see them winning the European Cup, but you never know.

As for ITV, are they aware that the Champions League is still the European Cup, therefore Arry is not the first Englishman to get a club to this stage of the competition.

hahaha, so full of crap you really are!!!

enjoy your 1 year of success (if thats what its called).

If you can tell me that in the two games so far this week involving English clubs, that any of the English clubs have been technically better than their continental opponents then maybe I'll listen.

Best player on the pitch last night!! Clarence Seedorf!!

Spurs will never be a club like Liverpool

Spudfect, rather than being over precious about Spurs why not look at the whole picture Darren is trying to paint. He is saying that TECHNICALLY Milan were better. As in they played better football, were superior with their passing and their movement. As we all know good TECHNICAL skills does not always win the game, how many times have Arsenal lost yet been far superior TECHNICALLY to the other team? Arsenal won their 1st leg yet Barcelona outplayed them for 70 mins of that match.The best team TECHNICALLY didnt win that game. Even on Tuesday Arsenal could have gone through if Bendtner had the ability to control a football. How much of an injustice would that have been!?

Spurs still not a BIG club until we are having this same conversation in a few years and they have dusted off their trophy cabinet(in my humble opinion)

On another note I hear Arsenal are going to rename their trophy cabinet. Its now going to be known as the Cabinet :yahoo:

Liverpool last night were a perfect case of how technically inept English teams are. Foreign teams play their way out the back, we last night, Carragher, The Greek, just knocked it hopefully, long. Couldn't string 5 passes together let alone 756 or whatever Barcelona did.

After watching Barcelona play, it really is poor watching English teams play. Barca should be banned because the way they play is nothing like the way 99% of other football is played!

As for the Champions League, we won it in 2005, our 5th time (not sure how many Spurs have won!!!) were Liverpool a good side back then? technically we were shocking, man to man we were shocking, but a bit of determination and luck saw Liverpool's name on the trophy

Absolute rubbish.

Dont class all English clubs,the same as Liverpool.

Plus we can do without the usual Liverpool history lesson.

ooooooooo.....does that mean Spurs are going to re-write the history books then......what's is gonna say, eh, eh....

Spurs play with more pace than Liverpool, other than that, is there really much difference??

your 8 points in front of us I think, and we've been absolute gash apart from when Kenny took over, even then we've dropped 8 points that you'd expect to pick up!!

History can never be changed Spurfect, but the future can be written!!!

Tell me, apart from Arsenal in the Premier League, what English club even comes close to being as technical as the Italians, Germans, Spanish! granted, doesn't make those foreign sides win, but the football they play is far superior to that of English football.

Half of that I beleive is down to Grassroots football and kids football. Someone was on here asking about Under 7's teams!! under 7's??? chuffing ridiculous, at that age they should be learning about the game, not playing for points and all that.