Cornwall Football Forum

sunday league results 14th november

truro gwrsa 4-2 booters

very good game closely thought on a very boggy pitch was hard work for both sides! Truro took the lead early from a corner poor marking by booters both sides battled well with both teams having chances forcing saves from the keepers. just before half time Truro made it 2-0 through more bad defending!

second half both teams come out attacking booters scored a goal by good battling from daniel richards who finished well to make it 2-1! both teams having chances until Truro made 3-1 with 20 minutes to go! both teams pressured each other but with 10 mins the go booters corner was headed in by big john! both teams were still attacking to try to score in the last minute booters had a corner whiuch was swung in and caught by the keeper who kicked the ball to the striker who buried the game for truro to complete his hat trick!

thanks to truro for a good game as always. a few silly yellow cards were picked up which were a bit harsh!

St Georges 4 Crowntown 0

A good game with a strong, skilful St Georges side in control for most of the game. Half -time 2-0. The last two goals came right at the end, in the last 5 minutes, quite disappointing for Crowntown after some staunch defending and an excellent goalkeeping performance from Will Randall.

West Cornwall 5 Shortlanesend 0 Match abandoned How long did they play? Was there a mass brawl? Did the spectators invade the pitch? Was there a serious injury? Did a player deck the ref? Or was it just the weather? Who knows? The League Committee awaits a full report with bated breath

Was pretty petty really, no need in my opinion to abandon it when all the players had seperated!!!! handbags....one of the shortlanesend players took exception to a challenge from one of our boys, and decided to shove him, and everyone from there decided to pile in on each other but it was difused before it could even get started really!!

As for the game hats off to a gutsy shortlanesend team who played with 9 men the whole game and if it wasnt for their keeper and backline could have been 10 down before the end of the first half, but once Ashley kemp broke the deadlock (in bad boggy conditions) there was only going to be one winner, or at least we hope there will be as there was only 10 minutes left before the game got abandoned!!!!

Best of luck to Shortlanesend for the rest of the season :smiley20: :c:

Just to add to the previous comment, I honestly cannot believe that this game was abandoned with 5 minutes (according to ref) left to play.....The previous 80 minutes of the match was really well contested by both sides. Shortlanesend did brilliantly with 9 men to keep us at bay for about 60 minutes..The keeper in particular was outstanding...

Then with 5 to go our winger went in a little late on their player, not nasty, not a leg breaker, just poorly timed..The Shortlanesend player didnt like the challenge and the two squared up to eachother, then several players from each side (myself included!) got involved in a little shoving match but still nothing out of the ordinary, it was just your text book handbags at dawn scenario which defused within about 30 seconds of it starting..The Shortlanesend manager did well to drag his boys away from the situation to which we did the same, we were all awaiting what action if any the ref would take (maybe a yellow to the two players initially involved but even that would of been harsh) but he decided he had had enough and called it off! Needless to say both sides were shocked, we spoke to the Shortlanesnd manager after the game and there were no arguments or accusations being thrown at each other, just a total agreement and general shock that what appeared to be a solid ref totally lost it, you see these situations all across the country in every league, every weekend, maybe the ref was too young or inexperienced? I'm interested to read his report..

Also be interested to hear a Shortlanesend view on it?

Yes Jeff, completely go along with what you said really. Shame that the game came to such a disappointing conclusion after what was before then a really good, competitive game, played in the right spirit. It was, as you said, only handbags, and the game should have been played out with only a few minutes left. As you know, we were all shaking hands after the game with no hard feelings. Found it staggering that the ref decided to abandon the game, and I think a more experience ref would have had a few words, dished out a yellow or two, and got on with it. What I will add though is that scenes like that should not have to be witnessed by kids (some as young as two) and elderly supporters who were within metres of the incident.

As for the game, and as our only central defender (and scorer of your second goal!) it was a real backs to the wall game for us - aching like mad this morning! - and I thought we did well to hold out for as long we did! But credit to your boys in the second half, who stuck at it, and deservedly went on to win comfortably. Surprised to see you take off two of your best players at half-time mind!

Best of luck for the rest of the season!

• 2 weeks later...

West Cornwall vs Shortlanesend

Cannot believe after speaking to the West Cornwall players and reading the Shortlanesend report above we have been fined £10 for failing to control players, the referees report states a mass brawl with numerous facial injuries meaning the game could not be restarted.

Have Shortlanesend also been fined?

From what I hear it was all over in a matter of seconds, what is happening to the result?

Any news on the other 2 games in Div2? Were they played? Thanks :)

Heard that Wendron won 7-1 at Malabar Utd.

Thanks Nige. Great result for Wendron. Nice to see they stuck at it after some tough times last season. Good bunch of lads over there, and decent grub too! :clapper:

Just found out that the goal keeper they played against us actually plays for there combination side. and so did a another player. I knew who he was but didnt know he played combination untill i saw him today in the paper!!!!! Big shame that wendron can't play by the rules. He also played in goal and out field in the first game against us.

Thanks Nige. Great result for Wendron. Nice to see they stuck at it after some tough times last season. Good bunch of lads over there, and decent grub too! :clapper:

Just found out that the goal keeper they played against us actually plays for there combination side. and so did a another player. I knew who he was but didnt know he played combination untill i saw him today in the paper!!!!! Big shame that wendron can't play by the rules. He also played in goal and out field in the first game against us.

If that's definitely the case mate then that's well out of order. Jesus, it's Sunday League Div2.. :( Seems a dramatic improvement in form maybe can't be trusted? Guess we'd all best start getting those signatures every week.

If that's definitely the case mate then that's well out of order. Jesus, it's Sunday League Div2.. :( Seems a dramatic improvement in form maybe can't be trusted? Guess we'd all best start getting those signatures every week.

My thoughts exactly. Wont be as trusting anymore.

West Cornwall vs Shortlanesend

Cannot believe after speaking to the West Cornwall players and reading the Shortlanesend report above we have been fined £10 for failing to control players, the referees report states a mass brawl with numerous facial injuries meaning the game could not be restarted.

Have Shortlanesend also been fined?

From what I hear it was all over in a matter of seconds, what is happening to the result?

WRONG!! Neither team have been "fined £10" they have each been asked to pay an administration fee of £10. When the case comes up, they will be dealt with then. May be a fine, but £10 isn't too much if they determine that the club is responsible for having a game abandoned.

When our case 'comes up' will both West Cornwall and Shortlanesend get to submit a report to confirm the events of what happened? Just sounds like the ref has already over exaggerated the events in his report so I feel it is fair that all parties are listened to before any judgement is made by the CFA?

You can send in your version of events or, better, an independent witness. Or ask for a hearing (+£25) BUT it has to be with the CCFA by tomorrow, 2nd December. I've written a piece from the League saying how terrible both teams are.

In what respect do you mean "how terrible both teams are"? Please elaborate!!

Sorry, forgot that irony isn't understood.

My bit to the CCFA says that both these teams have exemplary disciplinary records - each averaging an astonishing 9.0 out of 10 marks from referees this season.

Both teams are well aware of how highly the WCSFL regards them.(As is the CCFA now)

• 1 month later...