Cornwall Football Forum

Chris Slateford

Guest Robbie

Just heard that Chris has sadly passed away. One of the best players I've been lucky enough to play in the same side with & also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Condolences to his family. RIP old Mate.

Very sad news to read!

Certainly I would go along with one of the best players around in his time and in fact ever, as far as Cornish football goes. I must regard myself as being one lucky enough to watch and possibly play against Chris - I say possibly because it would have been a blur as he was far too good for me!

Condolences to his family and friends. RIP

Once again I am shocked to the core.

I had the pleasure of playing both with and against Chris on many occasions and from my personal experience he was one of the quickest and most direct players I've ever witnessed. He certainly knew the game and almost always comes up in conversations amongst players, supporters and officials that were around in my era.

That alone shows how highly he was thought of.

Recently Neil captained our County Youth side and showed all the qualities of his dad.

I'm really sorry to hear the news and yet another "great" has gone from our game. For those who never saw him play, you really missed out.

Condolences to Neil and the rest of his family.

Once again I am shocked to the core.

I had the pleasure of playing both with and against Chris on many occasions and from my personal experience he was one of the quickest and most direct players I've ever witnessed. He certainly knew the game and almost always comes up in conversations amongst players, supporters and officials that were around in my era.

That alone shows how highly he was thought of.

Recently Neil captained our County Youth side and showed all the qualities of his dad.

I'm really sorry to hear the news and yet another "great" has gone from our game. For those who never saw him play, you really missed out.

Condolences to Neil and the rest of his family.

I am shocked to hear of the death of one of cornwalls best players ever .I remember chris playing for newquay and tearing defences apart with his skill and setting up striker phil ryder so many times Why is it all the nice people are dying and the horrible people of this world still live .You was a legend at newquay and other clubs you played for .

Guest philcolesbris

Hello,

I am from Bristol and just wanted to add a couple of things regarding Chris. Chris was a great friend and visited Bristol with his wife Lyn and 2 friends over the last weekend. A group of 10 of us met in the City centre and had a chat and laugh about the past and our escapades at school. Although Chris was clearly in pain he was in fantastic form and downed a few ales ( surprise! )To find out that Chris had passed away so soon after was a great shock. I can only add to the comments already listed about Chris a great footballer and an even better bloke! He bore his illness with fantastic fortitude and dignity. His wife of the last 10 years, Lyn was an inspiration and he could not of been cared for with more love and compassion. Myself and partner Wendy stayed with Chris and Lyn in April and they could not have done more for us despite this wretched illness already taking its toll ( on both of them ).

All our Love to Lyn at this sad time.

PS I can tell the person who asked, Chris was 55 as we were in the same class at school from 1966.

Phil

"Slates" is still remembered with great affection by the officials and supporters of Crediton United Football Club. I am reproducing below a tribute that will appear in our programme for tomorrow evening's match with Alphington.

Chris Gillard - Crediton United A.F.C

"It is with great sadness that I have to report the sad news of the death last Wednesday of one of the all-time great players ever to don a Crediton United shirt Chris Slateford at the premature age of fifty five. Chris played for us under Trevor Atkins managership in the late 80s and early 90s and was one of the main influences in us winning the Devon & Exeter Premier Division Championship in 1987-88 and finishing up as runners-up in following season and then seeking election to the Western League. Chris was one of those elegant players who was a joy to watch, had the skill and pace to outwit any defender and most importantly had the coolness in front of goal to convert a goal scoring chance. Prior to playing for Crediton Chris, a Launceston based lad, had played South Western League Football for several Clubs in Cornwall and been a successful striker wherever he went. Trevor Atkins signing of Chris was a major coup and Crediton United were lucky to have his services for five or six seasons including our early days in the Western League. Not only was he a top striker but he was also a very likeable lad and made many friends at Crediton and the other Clubs that he played for. Many people at the Club new that he was not well but it was a real pleasure to see him at the Clubs recent Centenary Reunion on the 1st August. Slates memory lives on in his son Neil who is apparently a chip off the old block and is currently playing in the SWPL Premier Division at St Austell. On behalf of everyone at Crediton United our sincere condolences have been passed to Chriss wife Lyn, son Neil, Neil's mum Nicki and all his family.

A minutes silence will be held prior to the start of tonights game in Chriss memory"

Hello

Andrew and I would like to say what a real comfort and joy it has been to read the great comments about our brother, Chris, thanks. Chris was a talented footballer who not only loved playing, but enjoyed as much the social side of the game: the company and conversation with his many footballing friends over a pint or 2. It was always exciting to watch Chris play and whenever he got the ball you felt that a goal or exciting attacking play was on the way. We are proud of him and will miss him.

Nic

Chris, what a smashing friend. So modest, noble and a strong character. Played with him but he was in a different class, so fast with amazing control of the ball. We had some magic moments that I will never forget, will miss him loads. Love to Lyn and both families!!

Adi