Cornwall Football Forum

Death of a Old favorite

I was at Porperro V Lanreath today and i was informed that Mr Henry Meakin Past away last night after a long illness, I only knew Henry because he had ran the line for me on many occasions at Porperro, over the years that I have refereed, But what a great gent he was and always had a great tale to tell and never moaned about the Official on the day. He was a stickerler for old style football and would often tell me that the lads to day would never crack it in the old days. When ever I had met Henry I always went home with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my heart, I will miss you Henry and I send all my love and best wishes to your family at this sad time.

Henry would of liked today match as Porperro won by 3 goals to 1 but it was route one all the way and as I said to Barry ( Porperro`s Keeper ) after the game Henry would of moaned ¬that not the way to play they didn`t do that in my day.`

Once again I`m so sorry to hear such sad news and all the people who would of met Henry will I`m sure miss him . Good bye Henry you were a legend.

Ian Spurling

All of the football community here in Looe / Polperro / Lanreath ( and i'm sure way beyond ) will have known " Little Henry "

For several years a stalwart volunteer at Polperro and in recent seasons the linesman for Looe Town

I personally knew Henry for several years and he had been involved with football almost all of his life.In his early days he was on the books at Aston Villa and played at a good standard in Midlands football.

As anyone who has seen him on the line would agree ,he was still a fit and energetic man right up to his senior years

Manys the time that I've seen a centre forward clean through only to be pulled up by the little mans flag.With the said player usually gesturing and gesticulating towards Henry I would say " You sure Henry ? "

" Yards Off " would be the reply

Class Act !

Got some great memories of Henry with his "yards off" or "miles off",although I'm sure at times that his yards were other people's inches! Fantastic servant to Polperro and recently Looe,he'll be sorely missed. I also remember him jumping over the kitbag,at 70 years of age, to take on a certain cockney midfielder he thought hadn't pulled his weight in a game!

Always first there to paint the clubhouse or put the nets up and always had time for younger players,no matter what their ability,even if he thought they were "bloody rubbish"!!!

The first question a referee ever asked at Polperro was "where's my mate Henry?"

A real football man,an absolute character. they don't make them like that any more!

The word legend is often over used,but those of us fortunate to have spent Saturday afternoons in Henry's company will all remember him and his "moments" long after our involvement in football has ended.