Cornwall Football Forum

Stadium for Cornwall???

Heres a serious suggestion to anyboby from the feasability committee on Cornwall Council that may read this thread,what about redeveloping Carn Brea,the Athletics track is already in place,the pitch in the middle could be made to a good standard,it already has banking all round ready to be developed and covered.Is it still Council owned? :huh: :ninja:

Heres a serious suggestion to anyboby from the feasability committee on Cornwall Council that may read this thread,what about redeveloping Carn Brea,the Athletics track is already in place,the pitch in the middle could be made to a good standard,it already has banking all round ready to be developed and covered.Is it still Council owned?

Surely Saturdays is the main time that it's used for athletics, so would you just ride roughshod over the athletes? Also there would be no scope for add-on facilities, the access is awful, parking facilities not great and public transport poor. Other than that it's perfect! :angry: :lol:

I had decided to forget this thread but have a comment or two to make.

Truro pop' 15,500

Hednesford pop' 17,500

Accrington pop' 35,000 Accrington is the smallest town with a football league club as far as I remember.

Now one is obviously a current league club and attracts on average 1,300

Hednesford got very close a few years ago to being a league club with gates of just over 1,000

Truro are averaging maybe 500. They will have to do better than Accrington as the Lancashire club are struggling even on gates of 1,300 and by using loan players and cast-offs mostly.

It may be City could achieve their goal. If they do they will need gates of 2,000 + just to operate and maybe to break even. They would not be able to afford transfer fees from gate receipts. I doubt the owner will plough more money into the club even if it did achieve league status. Why would he? Yep, you've guessed it; I am a closet City fan but I honestly can't see how they can get past Blue Square South. They just would not survive in my opinion.

Last point: It would be a hell of a p*** up if they made it. So I wish them luck.

how much more can be built in truro/threemilestone.the roads are gridlocked everyday.what is the obsession with everything being built in the threemilestone area to create more of a traffic problem.

carn brea is owned by a trust and track meets are in the summer months.the infastucture is being improved/ballsed up as we speak. there is also a railway station right next to the leisure centre that could be reopened if this became viable on eventdays.BUT!!!!! most clubs hate a ground with a running track,just ask brighton fans about the withdean.

any new stadium has to be built near to the A30 for easy access.there is just no room in any of our main towns/city.

i would love to see such a stadium in cornwall but i would also love to win the lottery :clapper::c: :drink:

Truro pop' 15,500

Hednesford pop' 17,500

Accrington pop' 35,000 Accrington is the smallest town with a football league club as far as I remember.

Hednesford got very close a few years ago to being a league club with gates of just over 1,000

Pablo, I don't think Accrington is a very good analogy. The people there have a lot of league football on their doorstep. Within 5-20 miles there is Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham, Man Utd, Man City, Wigan, Preston and possibly a few more I've fogotten. Should they achieve Football League status Truro will benefit from Cornwall not having any other clubs playing at that level. I would suggest that Accrington's gates would be a lot higher if the nearest Football League club was 60 miles away. Norwich City, like Truro, are geographically out on a limb and get very good gates, selling all their season tickets most seasons.

Truro pop' 15,500

Hednesford pop' 17,500

Pablo, I don't think Accrington is a very good analogy. The people there have a lot of league football on their doorstep. Within 5-20 miles there is Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham, Man Utd, Man City, Wigan, Preston and possibly a few more I've fogotten. Should they achieve Football League status Truro will benefit from Cornwall not having any other clubs playing at that level. I would suggest that Accrington's gates would be a lot higher if the nearest Football League club was 60 miles away. Norwich City, like Truro, are geographically out on a limb and get very good gates, selling all their season tickets most seasons.

I took that into account Goldeneye. What I am trying to point out is this: are enough Cornish folks interested in what happens to City? You might think the people of Accrington would prefer to travel but that isn't necessarily true. the people of Accrington are somewhat apathetic and for more than one reason. Accy - as a different club - have been in the league before of course but their crowds rarely exceeded 4,000. They were thrown out as they couldn't afford to pay their gas bills, the gas was turned off as was the water, not because they weren't doing well. Because not enough folks would pay to watch them. Now there may be half a million people in Cornwall but they will not all be footy fans. Let's take away two thirds; leaving 180,000. Take away the more unfortunate - for various reasons - and leaving 80,000. Take away those who play and follow their own town or village teams and you might end up with 20,000. Some of these will need to travel 40 to 50 miles. City will have to convince almost a quarter of them to be paying supporters. Lastly some of those may have already been disenfranchised by activities of the club recently and it might not leave enough for the club to survive at two higher levels. I'm not sure what is happening at clubhouse level right now - various stories being bandied - but if a club, at any level, has a clubhouse and it isn't being utilised properly; that club is in big trouble. Okay, so some might ask how I know and I'll tell you. I was functions and bar manager at a step five club in Sussex and I know just how important it was that bar was working at full capacity as often as possible. If it wasn't; the club was running badly. Now when I say 'full capacity' I mean staying open until 2 in the morning or until 7.30 am when there was a late boxing match on. I've done it my friend. I've also been out on the pitch with a fork. I've picked up the broken glass and I've stopped players kicking in the changing room doors when they've been sent off. I once had to ask a current England international player to leave the premises when he insisted on having a lager at the age of seventeen - and me a life-long West Ham fan.

Nope, I'm no expert but I do have an inkling as to what a club has to do to survive. City must start at the bottom; off the pitch and get their act together. If they don't; they will surely throw away what they have achieved so far and that would be a real shame.

Pablo, looking at the League 2 matches for the 21st August 7 matches had attendances below 4,000, with the average for all 12 matches being 3,774. In a new stadium with all the improved facilities that go with it I think Truro would achieve that average. I hope the day arrives that we can see which one of us is right! Can't wait to see if your mentioned in Joe Cole's autobiography! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ha ha, you never know!

I agree with your figures but the thing is City are so far distant from other clubs they will have enormous expenses to dole out. That's why they will not compete equally on crowds of below 2,000. It will come down to economics eventually. It's just my opinion but that's the way I see it.

The thing about Bodmin and the rugby club is that I believe not so long ago they wanted to build a speedway track there, which many, including Gazza (our Gazza not "that Gazza") would have been glad to have, but the local residents kicked off, saying too much noise/light pollution, and possibly traffic as well.

Wherever it gets built will cause no end of debate regardless of whoever gets most use out of it.

I agree that transport links are a heavy factor, but where exactly in Cornwall is there bus, rail, airport etc links all within 5 miles or so that could be handy for crowds to use?

It could be used as a concert stadium, but the crowds they'd want would be larger than they could fit in a stadium, just think SAS balls of years gone by had maybe 3000 or so, Eden sessions maybe about the same, I'm not sure, but at concerts involving live bands crowds don't want to sit down and watch, could you imagine Glastonbury crowds sitting watching performances? :)

We are geographically screwed for any kind of success in Cornwall, the Pirates may buck that trend if they get into the rugby elite, but I don't follow rugby and could only name them and Esher in that league.

Also, as said before, not every person who doesn't follow one sport go and follow another in Cornwall, thanks to Sky Sports and big bucks in the Premiership and Europe children grow up asking when Chelsea play Real Madrid or is Ronaldo going to get the Golden Boot, not if St Blazey will beat Bodmin to win the SWPL.

Newquay for the Stadium?,

Sorry, NO Newquay is only a Branch line,

One you could be waiting a long time for a train to Newquay from Par,

Two there is always problems on that line so you could well miss the Match or be late,

I know this to be so because after I left BT I drove Coaches for Truronion. & we were called out many times to run a bus service to Newquay because of problems with the train,

So Sorry Newquay A no no for the Stadium. :SM_carton:

Hammers :c::c: :(

A stadium for Cornwall could be BAD for TRURO CITY, circumstances has already gobbled up the football club, is it to be left without a replacement for Treyew Road, as far as I can see the ones most likely to be shafted could be the supporters of Truro City who will have no home ground to fall back onto if things go bottoms up.

The PRIORITY for ALL Truro City Supporters has to be the replacement ground for the multi million pound asset Treyew Road.