Cornwall Football Forum

West Cornwall Sunday League - Congratulations!

No one else is going to do it so, as League Secretary, I will. "Congratulations to all the clubs in the West Cornwall Sunday Football League!"

The clubs responded magnificently to the League's Referee Initiative - way beyond everyone's expectations.

Over last season, the clubs averaged 2 (TWO) yellow cards for the whole season. (Not 2 per match, 2 for the whole season!) (Any ideas how other Leagues compare? I have asked the CCFA, but they don't have the figures to hand.)

Dissent has all but disappeared and referees repeatedly complement clubs on their sporting approach.

Embarrassingly to the Treasurer, every club met the target average mark for referees sporting marks and so no club will pay any affiliation fee to remain in the league this season. Thanks to Nalders Solicitors, the financial consequences are covered.

I feel so proud to have been part of this scheme.

Would it work in your league? We won't know unless we try. It can't do any harm. Many referees have asked why the referee Initiative isn't used in all Leagues. No other League seems to be interested.

Perhaps the games are refereed a little more lenient in the Sunday League because of the initiative that they have taken.

As I've said before, Saturday football is far far different than Sunday football, Sunday's are about having a bit of fun with your mates, hopefully winning and then having a beer afterwards whilst nursing a huge hangover!

Perhaps the games are refereed a little more lenient in the Sunday League because of the initiative that they have taken.

As I've said before, Saturday football is far far different than Sunday football, Sunday's are about having a bit of fun with your mates, hopefully winning and then having a beer afterwards whilst nursing a huge hangover!

"The games are refereed a bit more leniently." No, I would suggest that the reverse is true. The referees have higher expectations because of the Initiative. Players just don't moan and question decisions. If they do, they stick out like a sore thumb and the refs take action.

Your second comment is a total bloody insult and out of order. Once the whistle goes, yes even on a Sunday, players want to win just as much as in any other game. I really resent this suggestion that Sunday football is some sort of playground kick about. There's some good, very competitive football goes on there.

The big difference is that the expectations for players behaviour are MUCH higher. In Saturday football it's just accepted that you complain about the referees and argue decisions. There is no correlation between bad behaviour and playing good football. Only an idiot would suggest that there is.

Is no one else allowed to have an opinion Bill? I've played Sunday football and played it for a few years. I admire the respect thing that you have in the 2 divisions!

how many players are competing on a Sunday morning??? compare that to say, the Falmouth Helston League! pick the same amount of games out of that and I bet you come up with roughly the same statistics!

as for the lenient comment, I stand by that, I've seen the same referee's referee the game differently on a Sundya morning than that of a Saturday, nothing wrong with either version of the refereeing either.

Is no one else allowed to have an opinion Bill? I've played Sunday football and played it for a few years. I admire the respect thing that you have in the 2 divisions!

how many players are competing on a Sunday morning??? compare that to say, the Falmouth Helston League! pick the same amount of games out of that and I bet you come up with roughly the same statistics!

as for the lenient comment, I stand by that, I've seen the same referee's referee the game differently on a Sundya morning than that of a Saturday, nothing wrong with either version of the refereeing either.

O.K. Sorry. But you did state it as fact - not an opinion. This idea that Sunday football is basically inferior, is something that I do hate and twitch a bit about.

I have asked the CCFA for statistics to compare ours with other leagues but they don't have any. The Sunday League worked at around 1 caution every 5 games. So for each club, on average, that's 1 caution for every 10 games. How did your Saturday Club compare? Last season, the League made a quantum leap in improving team's behaviour to refs. I hope your opinion is based on last season. Oh, 5 clubs had no cards at all last season.

Of course referees referee differently. They're much more relaxed, fairly confident that every decision isn't going to be met with dissent and/or abuse. It's not leniency by any measure. There's just less to deal with.

BUT thank you for contributing to this thread. As you know, it's really important to me.

Well done for your respect push. Your statistics seem to prove that it works.

However it would be difficult to enforce on Saturdays.

Saturday football means so much more and the competitive edge is a lot greater. Players try harder and have greater desire and therefore question referees decisions as every step is taken in an attempt to win. Also refs are more strict on sats.

People play Sunday football for a laugh after usually a heavy night. Players try to win however I don't think there too upset if they lose compared to say a Saturday side aiming for promotion.

Sunday football is just that. It has a national reputation of being the lowest standard possible for adults to play.

I'm sure if your league hadn't pressed with your campaign the Sunday league still would have a better disciplinary record than most Saturday leagues just because its not as serious. Players take it easy, refs take it easier and are less likely to book, send off players on a Sunday.

But well done on improving the respect for officials in your league.

"O.K. Sorry. But you did state it as fact - not an opinion. This idea that Sunday football is basically inferior, is something that I do hate and twitch a bit about."

Bill, comparing your Sunday football to the Saturday leagues and divisions - where would you place it as a comparative equal?

There probably is a bigger range of standard than would normally be expected - hence the occasional cricket score.

The top teams would certainly be competitive in Mining or fal/Helston 1. We do get some very good players who, for whatever reason can't or won't play Saturdays and probably could play senior football if they did.

Div 2 is probably closest to Fal/Helston or Mining three. We have some quite weak teams there - but then I see that in the Saturday Leagues.

It's just not worth arguing about commitment and referee harshness. I repeat that referees are much less tolerant of dissent because it's so rare.

We're stuck with the stereotype that all Sunday players crawl out of a nightclub and onto the pitch, vomiting as they pull on their socks. (Some do, but not many.) The whole point is that the attitude to referees has changed - because we made it worthwhile changing. If football can't see how important it is to make that change, then the future at grass-roots level looks quite bleak. Deservedly so.

And, Dave, you were going to have a look at one of our games so that you can see for yourself. Crowntown vs Sr Georges would have been a great example yesterday. Not a moan, zero dissent, little appealing - just football.

Well done for your respect push. Your statistics seem to prove that it works.

However it would be difficult to enforce on Saturdays.

Tom, the whole point is that it isn't something that you "enforce". You make it that the clubs want it to succeed. The original good idea was to put all the available cash + fines into a "pot" that the successful clubs share.

You publicise and support and, before you know where you are, (two seasons) all the clubs want their share of the pot and the pride that being seen as a sporting club brings. Last season 100% of the clubs met the target score they set of average 7.75. This season they asked for a target score of 8.

The clubs and players want it. That's why you don't "enforce" it.

I reckon if a referee gave a dodgy penalty in a game then I think there would be a few players that would have a moan and a little bit of dissent going on as well.

ps. on Saturday football in the combination league, we've played 4 games, and there's not been one booking! CONGRATULATIONS to St Agnes FC and those teams we've played against!

to be fair though, we've lucky we've had some referee's that ref with common sense! Mike Carter, Larry, Charlie Phillpott and someone else who I can't remember

I reckon if a referee gave a dodgy penalty in a game then I think there would be a few players that would have a moan and a little bit of dissent going on as well.

ps. on Saturday football in the combination league, we've played 4 games, and there's not been one booking! CONGRATULATIONS to St Agnes FC and those teams we've played against!

to be fair though, we've lucky we've had some referee's that ref with common sense! Mike Carter, Larry, Charlie Phillpott and someone else who I can't remember

1. It can be done - even on a Saturday.

2. We can all see the pride in Darren's post. It's a feelgood factor.

And, yes we do have some moans when the referee gets it very wrong. But not many. Ask Mike Carter - he does one of our games EVERY week. I saw him give a penalty for handball. Then he saw the impression of the ball on the poor lad's face (you could count the panels!) and changed his mind. The players weren't too stressed with either decision. He can only give what he thinks he sees.

Ha ha you just mentioned common sense and Larry Marsh in the very same post, bet that hasnt happened too often! :thumbsup: