Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Combination League

24th August 2010

Illogan RBL 4-0 Penzance Reserves

On Tuesday evening I think we saw this season’s Champions on show, and I don’t mean the Magpies. Illogan were very good with their lay-offs, touches on the ball, etc. The game was won in mid-field where Penzance are short of an organizing general to muster the troops. Illogan still haven’t got out of their habit about moaning to the ref about everything and anything though.

As early as the first minute Ryan Gendall is called into action making a flying save but two minutes later he couldn’t prevent Illogan taking the lead following a cross goal pass to the back of the box, left to right, where Dan Bowman leaps to head high into the net.

Both teams trade free kicks with Joe Day of Penzance firing just wide of the post from 30yds out and Illogan just wide with a back post header.

Just after the half hour Illogan go two nil up when they break left, cross to the back post where Danny Williams heads over the stranded keeper.

Rest of the half sees Penzance on the back foot with the defence holding.

H-T

From the restart Illogan are on the attack and Gendall has to be on his toes to leap and punch over the bar a 30yd screamer.

A cleverly worked 30yd free kick from Penzance sees the ball knocked, headed across goal where another header goes just wide.

Darren Ball almost puts Illogan three up when they break left cross hard and low and the ball bounces off his head onto the upright and clears.

A minute after the hour mark Illogan go further in front following another deep cross and cross goal header from Williams.

Illogan break and a Adam Calloway volley clips the top of the bar on its way out of the ground. Gendall then make a flying palm away from a cross goal shot after Illogan work the ball down the left.

Penzance get a rare shot on goal when they get a free kick but the keeper saves.

Time is over by two minutes when Illogan get their fourth. They work the ball down the left, Bowman runs along the edge of the box, turns and fires low to the keepers outstretched arms.

F-T

We made Joe Day Penzance’s Man of the match, as he worked tirelessly upfront.

Penzance – Ryan Gendall, Liam Andrew, James Street, Lewis Caspall, Ryan Andrew, Joe Chadwick, Ryan Holland, Tom Dann, Joe Day, Darren Ball, Ben Williams

Sub – Steve Winters (Caspall 59)

Corners – Illogan 8-3 Penzance (3-0 1st half)

Fouls conceded – Illogan 17-12 Penzance

Crowd – 56 (6 from Pz)

A bit shorter than normal as I have to condense them to fit on the pages of the updated Pz website

http://www.penzanceafc.co.uk

Better than the St Day side that beat Penzance 7-1??

Watched Illogan beat Falmout on Sat but wasn't overly impressed - they looked particularly vulnerable from out wide and their central midfield concede too many needless free-kicks. That said, I think they may have a slightly different line-up that did so well last year with a turn-over in personnel but I do expect them to be amongst the top 4 come May.

Illogan are a far better side for the money that it costs to put them on the pitch £0. They are all at Illogan football club for the club and for the manager not for pound notes how many of St Days squad could hand on heart say they are at the club for either of those not many I guess.

Illogan are a far better side for the money that it costs to put them on the pitch £0. They are all at Illogan football club for the club and for the manager not for pound notes how many of St Days squad could hand on heart say they are at the club for either of those not many I guess.

Here's 1. I can guarantee of my teammates that I've known for a while they're the same.

Any other way you want to make a silly claim to get knocked back? :thumbsup: :clapper:

Before you continue the argument it is my personal opinion that Illogan are the better of the two teams having watched both play Pz in the last week. St Day are individually stronger and better on the ball than Illogan but Illogan's team work is better, and to me it is team work that wins leagues.

At St Day you will have 3-4 players that will score the goals but at Illogan you will have fewer goals scored but by more players. It will mean later on in the season if one of these St Day players has an off day or is away then they will find it harder to win, whilst Illogan with more goal scorers have a better chance of winning their matches even with players having off days.

Last year St Day had a team of "stars" but blew it because they were relying on only one or two players to score such as Dominic Pullen.

Guns, they are all there for the manager. He is the money man is he not?

Behave Gillsy,

A majority of us were there last year...for nothing!!

We are there because we are mates and it is a good club, supported by good people!!

[/quote

So ping are you saying you are not getting anything at St Day this season to play you are just playing with ur mates for nothing.

I played at St Day lasy season for Nothing ( as i had friends there - unbelivable i know) and there is a great bunch of guys playing and the club is fantastic. I think people who haven't ever played for St Day don't realise how good it is there.

I bet any player you speak to who has played for St Day enjoyed in the last 10 years says they enjoyed it.

It seems every thread reverts to St Day and the money being paid THIS season.

Good luck ST Day and Illogan for the Season!

Behave Gillsy,

We are there because we are mates and it is a good club, supported by good people!!

[/quote

So ping are you saying you are not getting anything at St Day this season to play you are just playing with ur mates for nothing.

No mate, your're completely missing my point!

Im saying that with or without expenses we would still be there.

Behave Gillsy,

[/quote

No mate, your're completely missing my point!

Im saying that with or without expenses we would still be there.

What he said....

Lets leave St Day football club alone now hey people if they are paying then so what. Lots of clubs out there do pay players even at our poor level. I think what seems to wind evryone up is the denial.

Lets all get on with it and see over 38 games who is the better side.

Good luck to all

Winno

xxxxx

You'd know Guns - you were there last season <_<

Behave Gillsy,

Just a little bit of tongue in cheek Ping. Anyone who gets paid to play any level of football below conference then good luck to them, even just expenses is better than a kick in the arse! Really doesnt bother me, like Winno says its the denials I find amusing. What grown men do with their money is none of my business and if they want to spend it watching younger men run around in tight shorts is down to them, each to their own! Good luck to EVERYONE this season, except when your playing Town.

Saw a few lads over the summer and they are still waiting for their guest appearance "expenses" from last season ;)