Cornwall Football Forum

Sides look for Jolly's Combination title charge

Found a interesting article on FalmouthPacket.co.uk © -

Sides look for Jolly's Combination title charge

By Simon Larkins

The Jolly’s Combination League is set to kick-off this Saturday with two local sides looking to improve on last season’s performance by taking the title.

Penryn Reserves will be among the favourites having gone the whole of the 2009-2010 season unbeaten, only to finish runner’s up behind Illogan RBL.

And that view is shared by manager Andy Parry, who admits that despite last campaign’s ‘fantastic achievement’ they are looking to go one better this time round. It has been an active summer at Kernick with midfielders Cody Cooke and Dan Richardson being promoted to the first team along with goalkeeper Chris Symons.

Added to that Parry has also lost the services of James Daniel, who has joined Wendron United, Tim Nixon, who has gone to Penzance and top scorer Rob Wearne, who following a successful trial with Torquay United last season has made his expected departure to the League Two club.

New signings have come in to bolster the squad though with experienced goalkeeper Symon Winnan joining from St Day along with teammates Tom Annear, Sam Harry and Frazer Cummins.

John May and Ashley Thomas have joined from Penzance, Shane Richards has arrived from Troon and Ben Ambrose and Lee Jeffrey have made the step up from the Falmouth-Helston League.

Parry said he was looking forward to the new season adding that the new players have fitted in well during the pre-season matches.

“We have lost around six players from last year, but we have brought in nine. You can’t do anything about players going to the first team, it is good to see them progress. A couple of players have also decided to move elsewhere which you get every summer. Our aim is to be up near the top. To go the whole of last season unbeaten was a fantastic achievement and we want to be up again there this season and playing good football on the deck.”

Penryn Reserves kick-off their campaign on Tuesday night when they face Perranwell at Kernick.

Another local side that are looking to challenge for honours this season is Falmouth Town Reserves.

Manager Paul Murray has seen his son, and 30-goal a season man, Luke Murray leave for University, but has managed to keep the majority of last year’s successful squad at Bickland.

He has also brought in Tom Langford, from Wendron, Adam Pyror, from Penryn and Jake Harvey, from Perranwell.

Added to that the team has also been given some tips from a former Arsenal FC manager, who lives locally.

“We have had some coaching from Bruce Rioch,” said Murray, who when asked what they key to a successful season would be, added.

“We will be looking to change the system a bit, but I think they key to success will be keeping everyone fit and bedding in the new players as quickly as possible.”

Falmouth Town face champions Illogan in their opening game at Bickland Park on Saturday and Murray says that may well prove the acid test for the coming season.

“Illogan will be one of the strongest units,” he said. “We were one of only two teams to beat them last season so if we can get a point or better against them on Saturday it will be a pleasing start for me. I think they are a lot of teams that will take points of each other this season.”

Elsewhere in the Jolly’s Combination League there has been a managerial change at Porthleven Reserves after Dave Leonard decided to step down from his role due to work commitments. He has been replaced by Mark Greet and former Helston Athletic manager Tony Roberts.

© Copyright 2001-2010 Newsquest Media Group

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk

Harry breasebats or patriot or whoever! Are you sniffing around Penryn coz you want them to sign you???

You can call me Chris if you like!?

As i was away for the last 4 months and only came home on friday, i had arranged to meet up with some friends ie Fraser Cumming and Winno who now play for Penryn 2nds and were indeed my teammates/gaffer for the last 2 seasons - for a catch up before the game. I also went up to Helston on saturday to see my friends and went to St Day midway through the Penryn second half to see my friends there too...Oh and played 60 minutes for Culdrose last nght to see friends and to strech my legs after a long layoff from the game.

I hope this is an exceptable explaination of my travells/ground hopping for you. Maybe if i went to Old trafford I might get on skysports news?? Naa!!

However i am a centre half without a club! HAHA! Is there an opening in the under 18's as a boot cleaner???

Oh and i knew about the lack of game n saturday as Fraser cumming told me..

Harry breasebats or patriot or whoever! Are you sniffing around Penryn coz you want them to sign you???

You can call me Chris if you like!?

As i was away for the last 4 months and only came home on friday, i had arranged to meet up with some friends ie Fraser Cumming and Winno who now play for Penryn 2nds and were indeed my teammates/gaffer for the last 2 seasons - for a catch up before the game. I also went up to Helston on saturday to see my friends and went to St Day midway through the Penryn second half to see my friends there too...Oh and played 60 minutes for Culdrose last nght to see friends and to strech my legs after a long layoff from the game.

I hope this is an exceptable explaination of my travells/ground hopping for you. Maybe if i went to Old trafford I might get on skysports news?? Naa!!

However i am a centre half without a club! HAHA! Is there an opening in the under 18's as a boot cleaner???

good enough excuse for me mr breasebats. now dinch has gone, who knows. although have heard penryn have already signed a replacement centre half. no names just yet though. dinch is the best centre half in the league and will clearly be a loss to penryn. ludgvan are looking for a cenre half though!!!

I tried Ludgvan mate but they wouldn't answer the phone to me!

Dinch was having a quality game of what i saw. Horrible injury for anyone to suffer.

Phil, Please kick the crack!! You've just broke Peggy's heart!

few more episodes to go then ill be clean. good luck for the season breasebats, whoever you sign for.

I tried Ludgvan mate but they wouldn't answer the phone to me!

Dinch was having a quality game of what i saw. Horrible injury for anyone to suffer.

Phil, Please kick the crack!! You've just broke Peggy's heart!

few more episodes to go then ill be clean. good luck for the season breasebats, whoever you sign for.

Actually Phil Mitchell you are correct,we are looking for a new centre half at Ludgvan and Harry my phone never rang lol.

Harry breasebats, how do you change your profile name if you dont mind me asking?

I actually de-registered from the Forum while on deployment as it got to the point of a slagging forum. Then i registered again t'other day.

Alternatively you can PM the admin guys like Rich and request a name change - that is what i done when i changed from Helston Patriot to Patriot.

Hope this helps..