Cornwall Football Forum

Ashes pick up a useful win in Devon!

Willand Rovers 0, Saltash United 3

Thanks to the Saltash follower who text me : "It was a Sainty second-half hat-trick which sealed this win. Both teams had a few players missing however.

I don't get carried away with friendly results, I've learnt that lesson down the years with the Ashes!!! Good workout though." :thumbsup:

I think it quite sensible to not "get carried away" with this win.

While Kevin Hendy(Saltash Manager) believes he has his strongest side for 5 years, I feel they wil have another "nothing" season. The addition of the Cusacks will obviously improve the side, but there was need for some serious "surgery" in close season. There are players within the Saltash set up that have become very "average" in recent seasons. The likes of Coulton and Thorne never look fit!

Having watched Saltash United on several occasions last season, along with the lies of Bodmin, Falmouth, Buckland and St Blazey, this could be yet another "average" season for "the ashes".

I think it quite sensible to not "get carried away" with this win.

While Kevin Hendy(Saltash Manager) believes he has his strongest side for 5 years, I feel they wil have another "nothing" season. The addition of the Cusacks will obviously improve the side, but there was need for some serious "surgery" in close season. There are players within the Saltash set up that have become very "average" in recent seasons. The likes of Coulton and Thorne never look fit!

Having watched Saltash United on several occasions last season, along with the lies of Bodmin, Falmouth, Buckland and St Blazey, this could be yet another "average" season for "the ashes".

Only time will tell my friend, but an allegedly 'unfit' striker that scores 25+ per season is ok im my books, and with Ross Saint scoring at will during pre season, and another 25+ striker in Sam Hughes, i dont think scoring goals will be a problem.

I look forward to upsetting some of 'The big 4' that you mention. One omission from your list is obvioualy Plymouth Parkway, my tip for the Champions. It really pains me to say that mind you!!!

Personally, it is much too early to draw any opinion on who will pick up the silverware this season, but TimmyRaa is quite right in his conclusion. Unfortunately, "the ashes" have picked up a few unfortunate injuries of late and this is prevent a settled side. However, I do think this season will be more promising with the addition of the Cusack brothers.

ashes made a lot of top signings last season, but come the midway point majority of those players left the club for various reasons. If the managment team can stop that happening again this season, maybe in with a chance of silverware. But it is a long old season with lots of ifs/buts/maybes at this early point