Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Ground Improvements

I would like to thank everybody that helped today with the laying of concrete in the ground. Blood sweat and tears for all the helpers today! My wheel barrel from home is busted, but i will let the club off! There are more improvements to follow such as railings, more hard standing paths and new benches in the dug outs, to replace the old chairs. A lot to still do but it is very much working progress, but the important thing is work has started and improvements can be continued.

I just want to say this is a great club and has some great people involved with it!

Last but not least a thank you to Bardon Concrete for giving us a good deal!

In each pre season period I watch with wonder that people will give up evenings, weekends and holidays to spruce up and improve football grounds across the County.

Come August ( I assume ) those same selfless individuals pay their money to stand and watch the players at their chosen clubs

Many of these players will be there for the simple reason that this particular club offers £5 more per game than one ten minutes up the road.

Many ( but my no means all ) of these players couldn't care less about the state of the ground or the terraces - Although they might gripe about the state of the changing facilities.

Have any of the players helped out with the improvements ?

I don't know whether to admire or pity these individuals that give up their time in this way.

If you are such a volunteer please don't get the hump and reply in an angry manner - It's your time and I fully understand that you can do what you wish with it.I realise that you must get an immense amount of satisfaction from your efforts

Does anyone else feel the same as I do or am I just getting more cynical as I get older

In each pre season period I watch with wonder that people will give up evenings, weekends and holidays to spruce up and improve football grounds across the County.

Come August ( I assume ) those same selfless individuals pay their money to stand and watch the players at their chosen clubs

Many of these players will be there for the simple reason that this particular club offers £5 more per game than one ten minutes up the road.

Many ( but my no means all ) of these players couldn't care less about the state of the ground or the terraces - Although they might gripe about the state of the changing facilities.

Have any of the players helped out with the improvements ?

I don't know whether to admire or pity these individuals that give up their time in this way.

If you are such a volunteer please don't get the hump and reply in an angry manner - It's your time and I fully understand that you can do what you wish with it.I realise that you must get an immense amount of satisfaction from your efforts

Does anyone else feel the same as I do or am I just getting more cynical as I get older

No your right but sometimes they have to be asked right or bribed and certainly encouraged so they see a benefit to them.Also if you could get 20 odd people for one night to help the job would be done in an evening.Its not easy.

I admire those who give up their time.....and i have a spare barrow....these people are the back bone of football, they are what makes the local league what it is....

Think you are a bit harsh on the players not all are looking for the best deal, but they do give up a lot to play at this level such as work, especially when the night games come, and leaving work early costs more an hour than what you get for playing and travelling...

By the way without good quality players all we get is kick and rush , pub football....sorry is that Buckland..????

It is great that Falmouth is improving its ground....for the fans...

Looking forward to seeing the efforts of this band of true football fans...

Did you put the small groves in the concrete to run down the slope towards the stand for two reasons?

1. To wash spectators shoes/trainers when raining, whilst they are under the stand

2. To let the water drain away towards the goal area during a heavy shower so the keeper will have an even worse time and more matches will need to be cancelled at Bickland.

If the groves had gone the other way surely it would help people get up the slope when the concrete is wet or slightly icy?

Just a thought.

Did you put the small groves in the concrete to run down the slope towards the stand for two reasons?

1. To wash spectators shoes/trainers when raining, whilst they are under the stand

2. To let the water drain away towards the goal area during a heavy shower so the keeper will have an even worse time and more matches will need to be cancelled at Bickland.

If the groves had gone the other way surely it would help people get up the slope when the concrete is wet or slightly icy?

Just a thought.

I think you should concern yourself with some of your own clubs facilities before you start slagging of others. Kettle, pot and black and all that.

Guest Rydon Ranger

Red Viking, that's a bit harsh eh? League and cup winners and most goals scored playing kick and rush pub football.....?? :clapper:

Cornishtubbyboy,your comment is totally out of order,it's ok to joke about players and managers who get paid for this rubbish level of soccer,but never joke about the hard work of local volunteers.the penzance new clubhouse and changing rooms look great,oh sorry the new bmx track over the far side is a great idea next to the tv stand but abit dangerous for night games as half the floodlights don't work on that side of penlee pie?well done Falmouth, keep up the hard work on and off the field!

Not knocking Falmouth, all tounge in cheek. :D

I admire people who help their local clubs. As always though, it's usually down to a small band who are willing to either help, donating their time, own money, etc to the cause.

In fact both me and Lil Miss Cornwall did some painting in and at Pz's ground during the close season buying equipment out of our own pocket.

I agree about the eyesore over the far side but something is going to be done about it. The TV stand is coming down, didn't work but worth a try.

Lights are going to be replaced.

Haha LOL. Did some painting, i think you'll find all the posts are all now white, not grey, i happily volunteered for three-ish days to do it. So Bananaman, do you help at your local club? Do you offer your services? I bet not. ;):wacko:

The BMX track?!?! Don't you mean the Gardens of Eden/babylon ... :D Haha... It was dug out for a reason and i'm sure those reasons will come to light in good time. :drink:

Skyblueref - i actually agree with Dad for once, which is rare! If the groves went the other way, drainage towards the clubhouse, this would A) Stop the water flooding the embankment/edge of pitch and B ) make it easier to embark/disembark from the lower stands. :)

I would like to thank everybody that helped today with the laying of concrete in the ground. Blood sweat and tears for all the helpers today! My wheel barrel from home is busted, but i will let the club off! There are more improvements to follow such as railings, more hard standing paths and new benches in the dug outs, to replace the old chairs. A lot to still do but it is very much working progress, but the important thing is work has started and improvements can be continued.

I just want to say this is a great club and has some great people involved with it!

Last but not least a thank you to Bardon Concrete for giving us a good deal!

Mark this is a great start, As a former Quallified Health & Safety Officer I have been concerned about this slope for a long time,& Town were aware of my concerns it makes no difference which way the groves run because you have used rough concrete & not smooth, If I was a young man I would be there helping you, Yes & at Falmouth as I am sure with most other clubs we have dedicated workers, We do appreciate what you do for our clubs, I hope that it will not be too long before we get Our shelters repaired or rebuilt, But again thanks to the boys at Falmouth for what they are doing for our club,

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

a few of the players from St Agnes will be up the club tonight, marking the lines, tidying the changing rooms, putting nets up!!

and yeah, you're right, there are a lot of players out there who don't appreciate what needs to be done, even putting corner flags out!

Great Post hammers,that should keep cornishtubbyboy and his services girl silent on this topic!Can't wait to visit penlee pie later and look at the lovely freshly painted white posts,they will probably stand out more than the players over the far side in the dark!I hope ctb doesn't build penzance a new clubhouse as he would probably build it on flood planes.I've heard of jesus walking on water but surely not cornishtubbyboy or a clubhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!love too all

Mark do not rise to the people who only want to come on here and knock you.

We have a improvement plan, and we will stick to it as best we can.

Bickland is tired but we are slowley bringing her back to life,it won't be quick but we will get there despite all the jibes.

Keep up the work on the pitch, as the difference since you have been doing it is considerable and you are to be congratulated for it. Well Done.

congratulations to falmouth on their improvements. It is the hard work of the committee and supporters who volunteer for these improvements that makes local football what it is. I know that the local clubs i follow in the plymouth area would be out of business without all the volunteers who are the fabric of the club, from the tea lady to the ticket seller to the groundsman and beyond, all give up their time to help the clubs and local community.

So slating any volunteers for their work is just a cheap shot

Mark do not rise to the people who only want to come on here and knock you.

We have a improvement plan, and we will stick to it as best we can.

Bickland is tired but we are slowley bringing her back to life,it won't be quick but we will get there despite all the jibes.

Keep up the work on the pitch, as the difference since you have been doing it is considerable and you are to be congratulated for it. Well Done.

Alan, Well done that is the sort of reply that I would expect from you, no one can run before they can walk, & yes Mark is a credit to Famouth Town, you could see the improvements coming together last season, so to you Alan, Carry on with your good work for Falmouth & to Mark, take alan's advice you are doing great,

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Quicksilver

Read my post again - SLOWLY if necessary !

I'm slating no one

I am just puzzled somewhat why people would give up their valuable spare time in this way

I can see why people would help out at a charity shop,or to help the elderly, I could possibly understand helping out at a Duchy level type side where players and supporters all live together in a small community.

It remains an absolute puzzle to me why anyone from Falmouth would sweat and toil in order to ensure that mercenary type players have the best conditions in which to play their football.

I feel the same way about the fans that clear the snow off the pitch for clubs in winter - Whilst the players are lying in bed reading the paper !

Each to his own - but you wouldn't catch me doing it !

Quicksilver

Read my post again - SLOWLY if necessary !

I'm slating no one

I am just puzzled somewhat why people would give up their valuable spare time in this way

I can see why people would help out at a charity shop,or to help the elderly, I could possibly understand helping out at a Duchy level type side where players and supporters all live together in a small community.

It remains an absolute puzzle to me why anyone from Falmouth would sweat and toil in order to ensure that mercenary type players have the best conditions in which to play their football.

I feel the same way about the fans that clear the snow off the pitch for clubs in winter - Whilst the players are lying in bed reading the paper !

Each to his own - but you wouldn't catch me doing it !

Forget about mercenary type players im sure those that have been doing the work on the pitch and the ground in general are doing it for the club , Players come and go but the club hopefully will always be around.