Cornwall Football Forum

Massey's Mutterings - July 21st 2010

I am surprised that Massey hasn't included Buckland in his 'list' of big spenders. May be he hasn't done so because he knows what he is talking about with Buckland finances, and as a good reporter always does ' never let the truth spoil a good story'. I know, we will just guess at the other finances. When you start to beleive the stories on this good web site, you have a problem, its for banter only and is good at that.

Hi,

Many thanks for taking time to comment on this weeks Mutterings.

As the first two posters will be aware I have replied to them both personally, not wanting to air my thoughts publicly on those occasions, BUT,

Now I feel the time is right to once and for all put some people straight!

I have worked with some big budgets, and never been shy in saying "I've had large budgets at certain clubs".

But I do not understand the coyness of pretending you have less money then you actually have!, why?

Is it because the manager feels by actually saying he has a large sum of money to work with, that if and when he fails it will seem a bigger failure? or is he just not confident in his ability to manage a big budget?

Clubs make me smile when I hear their chairmen/Manager say, "we only have a budget of £400 " Well that might be technically correct! BUT there's another £500 coming in from elsewhere via further individual sponsors etc and good luck to them I say, if you get off your back sides and find the monies to support the team great stuff, good on you. But that for me makes a PLAYING BUDGET of £900 not £400!

NOW, the main reason for deciding to reply to the outrageous posting from Paul, who know doubt will come back with similar misguided notions and reason's, for why Buckland last year and this year have big budgets.

Let me tell you, Its so refreshing to go to a club with a squad of players and officials who are not motivated by monies. I would have embarrassed myself totally, if during my talks with them I had not known the budget before hand because, if asked by them, "could a team win the league on this size budget"? I would have replied "You wouldn't finish in the top 3 let alone win it"!!

But win it they did! And then to hear a few people throw cheap shots, that Buckland MUST have had huge monies to win the league and keep that large squad of players happy, is an insult to ALL THE PLAYERS, MANAGEMENT and people that have worked so hard to bring not only the League but the League Cup as well, to Devon for the first time in 58 years!!

It's also an insult on the integrity of everyone at the club, that they would only play and work for Buckland for large weekly expenses.

Please do not just take my word for it, I also know that some of the high ranking officers of the League are aware of the budget Buckland work with.

So, not wanting to repeat myself, but there is NOTHING, YES NOTHING to be ashamed of by having a big budget at a football club, the shame is when you fail with it, like I did in my last season at Falmouth, I realized to late in two/three players who where there just for the ride, no heart in the club, mercenaries, I moved them on before end of season, but hands up should have finished much higher then 4th.

So it really does make me cross when people come on here, being all self righteous, thinking they know the financial workings of a club, when in reality they have no idea what so ever about any budgets at football clubs, and then TELLING ME I'M TELLING LIES!

I will be the first one to say, "Please give me as bigger budget has possible"! What's the problem? its simple surely it means you have a far better chance of winning things!

So when I say that Buckland have a budget which is about average across the league, I mean its just that, and what Phil Bayliss and Jamie Cawardine did with those players last year was nothing short of magnificent, and they have never ever really had the credit for doing so.

Something else that the players of Buckland did last season and will again this year, that sums up their attitude to the club, and until now has never been told publicly, is that they sponsor the kit of one of the Youth sides, yes out of their own monies they buy the full kit, nothing gets mentioned about that superb generous gesture.

I was going to save this topic for my Mutterings, but like the personal messages to other postings I wrote, I thought it needed saying now, not for me, Its like water off a ducks back to me! But for all the players and in particular Phil, Jamie and the football committee of Buckland, that so superbly guided the team and the player's to a memorable Championship and Cup double.

But after achieving this remarkable feat, we have unfortunately a few to many with the audacity to suggest it could or can only have been done by paying out more monies then they did, shows a complete lack of respect, ignorance and knowledge about how a club and team can win Championships other then believing you BUY IT!

Best Wishes

Mass

Written On behalf of all the players committee and management at Buckland Athletic who worked and performed so magnificently to bring a Championship at this level, to Devon for first time since 1952!

The Buckland Athletic club deserves credit for their achievement.

At this time, economically, it would be difficult for SWP clubs to secure the budgets necessary to be classed as BIG - Why don't those who have had their noses put out of joint because someone else has been successful give credit where it is due.

Steve,

Not having a dig at anyone but as a Duchy exile am I missing something about where clubs fare in the Pyramid after winning the SWP.

BODMIN TOWN won the league a number of times and NEVER advanced, I have searched for the coming season and BUCKLAND ATHLETIC appear to be stuck in the SWP.

I would have thought the obvious route after becoming SWP champions would have been promotion to the Western League Premier Division, if clubs are opting not to accept promotion it makes competition to win the SWP a pointless exercise, surely ALL clubs winning their respective leagues should be made to take promotion, the only barrier would be meeting the ground standards for the higher division, clubs should be made to upgrade their grounds so refusal on those grounds wouldn't apply, if necessary using some of the playing budget to pay for the improvements.

When Truro City were promoted they went into the Western League Division One but I think they are now the same level as the SWP, that's why I mentioned promotion to the Western Premier Division.

Do you have an opinion about clubs refusing promotion because I think it stiffles ambition resulting in local fans losing interest.

So, not wanting to repeat myself, but there is NOTHING, YES NOTHING to be ashamed of by having a big budget at a football club, the shame is when you fail with it, like I did in my last season at Falmouth, I realized to late in two/three players who where there just for the ride, no heart in the club, mercenaries, I moved them on before end of season, but hands up should have finished much higher then 4th.

I thought the players at Falmouth put the failure to win the league down to the very, very little training.

I thought the players at Falmouth put the failure to win the league down to the very, very little training.

Goldeneye, you have yet again scored an own goal, having first hand account regarding training during the Falmouth era, i can catergorically state that training was made available every week, though (and only a few) at times certain players decided not to attend, wouldnt it be a coincidence that these were the same players that you make have gleaned your information from, or infact one of the players who didnt show!!. It's funny how a tale can be told, that reads totally differrent from the actual facts.

Apologies if I'm wrong Bailey. It was only my recollection of the contents of a 'open letter' from a few of the players which appeared in the local press at the time. I have never spoken to anyone at Falmouth about this and my observation was based purely on the letter which appeared in the press. From what you and Steve have said it seems the letter may have come from the players who were being moved on and had no basis in fact.

I notice you say that I have 'yet again' scored an own goal. Perhaps you could remind me of the other times as I may have more apologies to make which I'm not aware of! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve, now you are talking rubbish. Please tell me where I said anything on this thread about Buckland winning the league and cup double last season and how that was all down to money? I havnt!! So why you threw that in I have no idea. I have posted on here on more than one occasion that I think Buckland have set the standard for the mix off on and off the field activities and how to raise good sums off money to develope the ground, and have a succesful team. even the standard of the program is second to none.

What I was pointing out was the fact that you named a number of clubs who in your words have big budgets and in your words if those clubs dont have a good season it will be a failure!! Really? Only one side can win the league. So should no one try anymore? Maybe the argument could be that having a decent side draws the crowds but also sees people using the clubhouse and spending money when there isnt football on for example.

And as I believe you said, I dont really see what the big deal is with the money side of things. If people or clubs are willing to spend the money then thats their decision. The big question is all about being able to sustain it and making sure the clubs arnt run into the ground.

So are you saying that Buckland are not paying no where near the amount that the clubs you mentioned are and that you no that as fact?

The big question is all about being able to sustain it and making sure the clubs arnt run into the ground.

So are you saying that Buckland are not paying no where near the amount that the clubs you mentioned are and that you no that as fact?

I know its been said time and time again, but its not the clubs putting up the money. Certainly for a couple where they are heavily into paying back the tax-man! <_<

The big question is all about being able to sustain it and making sure the clubs arnt run into the ground.

I know its been said time and time again, but its not the clubs putting up the money. Certainly for a couple where they are heavily into paying back the tax-man! <_<

Hi Steve,

many thanks for your personal message. I have no desire to go down that route, or continue the debate any further, except to say this:

If you publish something which YOU KNOW to be incorrect or wrong, you are not only tarnishing your reputation, but also bringing the game - and this forum where applicable - into disrepute.

As a man in charge of the defending champions, I think you should focus on doing your job rather than seeking to cause a reaction or wind others up.

Gonna be another cracking season!

DanBlazey

We all know that money does not guarentee, that your team is going to win the League,

at the end of the day it is how the players are going to perform as a team,on the day & throughout the season, also on how the club is run as a whole, in the end it is wheels within wheels, have a cog missing, & you have problems,

So to those who keep on about how some clubs are paying large sums of money,

stop going on about it, in Football as well as in Life there will always be those who have plenty & those who do not,

But we all know Money does not guarentee happiness or success.

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Got to agree with Dan Blazey.... all Mr Massey seems to want to do is try and put extra pressure on other teams and their management....and try and say that he cant compete because of the levels of budgets...Well his team beat Tiverton 2-1 last night.....and with such a small budget...Mr Massey is trying to be a bit of a Moriniho....and trying to set Buckland out as if everyone hates them... maybe all the managers in the league should have a page on the forum....or maybe a manager should stick to a manager and let their players do the talking...

What a lovely posting Mr Viking, many thanks for your kind words and comparison with Mourinho, I will take that as a huge compliment thank you.

You also very kindly pointed out to those who were not aware of a great result yesterday, with Buckland beating Tiverton Town (step 3) 2-1

and as you again point out by quoting so accurately "on such an small budget", (three times less than Tiverton's!)

The only mystery in you're posting was the line I want everyone to hate Buckland? How absurd? why would I want that? I would like as many people, supporters, sponsors etc to appreciate just how good a football club this is and certainly would not do anything to encourage anyone "hating" Buckland!

Thank you for reading Mutterings, and look forward to hearing more constructive feed back from you in the future.

Best wishes

Mass

The comparison with Mourinho was not in connection with his tactical awareness it was in fact in his building a type of seige mentally...us against the world....which it appears you are trying to do...which i find a bit negative.

If i were taking over the league and cup winners then I would feel the pressure, and try and put some on the other managers....if you dont win the league at least then those at Buckland may think you not to be the messiah.....( with no money) forgot that bit sorry...

But it was a great win against what is a poor Tivi team, and that is taking nothing away from you, but Tivi will be relegated this year....they look poor ....

This win though which i suggest that most of the other teams in the league whould not have been able to manage puts you as favourites, the so called big spenders have brought in so many new players it will take time for them to gell. Having seen one of the so called big four, that seems to be the case....

So i have Buckland as favourites, 4-1 , Bodmin 6-1, Falmouth 7-1, St Blazey 8-1.....

No pressure on mr Massey then....or the local Mourinho

Good luck for the season you'll need because everyone will be gunning for you, stand on a pedistal, you have to fall off eventually... :blink:

Tiverton Town were in fact relegated last season.

But due to politics and teams declining the invitation to progress,Tiverton remain in the same League as last season.

Red Viking,I agree with you ,and also dont you think for a very highly rated manager,Mr Massey spends and awful lot ot time on Football Forums.

100% committed to the job.?Hmm.

One poster mr Halwil summed it up perfectly, maybe I should or maybe I shouldn't?!

Perhaps I've far to much time on my hands? which would answer another friend on my christmas card list, Mr Spurfects question!

But again all these kind words, this time Mr Spurfect, and it is very nice of you to recognize the fact I'm a highly rated manager,

But just how football forums and the length of time spent on them can determine how good a manager you are is a new one on me, and lets you down on being anyone but a football person!

Should all clubs looking for a new totally committed manager, scour the pages of the forums for the least posted posters to find their man? Rather Silly!

And finally because it's really not a challenge anymore now, I haven't a clue what Mr Viking was on about, maybe he's been drinking some of that Viking Beer? But your right I do like to stand on a pedestal, it gives me a much better view when looking for your sense of Humour, which you and a few other Massey Bashers have lost!

Thanks for reading Mutterings

Best Wishes

Mass (Mourinho)!!

P.S. There is a good article in Massey's Muttering's on Wednesday, on who's buckling under all the pressure!!

But just how football forums and the length of time spent on them can determine how good a manager you are is a new one on me

Totally agree, at the end of the day the only thing that matters to the supporters is the number of trophies you've won!

In a league of clubs who lack ambition.

I asked the question but no one appears interested in advancement for club or supporters.

The Buckland Athletic club deserves credit for their achievement.

At this time, economically, it would be difficult for SWP clubs to secure the budgets necessary to be classed as BIG - Why don't those who have had their noses put out of joint because someone else has been successful give credit where it is due.

Steve,

Not having a dig at anyone but as a Duchy exile am I missing something about where clubs fare in the Pyramid after winning the SWP.

BODMIN TOWN won the league a number of times and NEVER advanced, I have searched for the coming season and BUCKLAND ATHLETIC appear to be stuck in the SWP.

I would have thought the obvious route after becoming SWP champions would have been promotion to the Western League Premier Division, if clubs are opting not to accept promotion it makes competition to win the SWP a pointless exercise, surely ALL clubs winning their respective leagues should be made to take promotion, the only barrier would be meeting the ground standards for the higher division, clubs should be made to upgrade their grounds so refusal on those grounds wouldn't apply, if necessary using some of the playing budget to pay for the improvements.

When Truro City were promoted they went into the Western League Division One but I think they are now the same level as the SWP, that's why I mentioned promotion to the Western Premier Division.

Do you have an opinion about clubs refusing promotion because I think it stifles ambition resulting in local fans losing interest.

AND stifles the ambitions of our younger players.

all i will say as far as buckland is concerned is that over the last two seasons the best away day we have had on both occasions is at buckland! the the supporters and all buckland officials have welcomed us with open arms and we look forward to playing you again this season win lose or draw but a win will make are day out even better of course!wishing each and every club good luck for the coming season especially liskeard!!!