Cornwall Football Forum

Dave Gardner Trophy

Penzance play Porthleven this Friday, 23rd July, kick-off 7.30pm in the first match in this season's Dave Gardner Trophy.

Everyone welcome as all monies raised go to Cancer Charities.

Dave Gardner Trophy fixtures are:

Friday July 23; Penzance v Porthleven. 7.30pm.

Saturday July 24; Helston v Falmouth. 3pm.

Tuesday 27th July; Porthleven v Helston 7pm.

Wednesday July 28; Falmouth v Penzance. 7.30pm.

Saturday July 31 (at Porthleven): Penzance v Helston. 2pm and Porthleven v Falmouth 5pm.

David died at St Julia's Hospice in Hayle on 13th September 2003, he was 36.

A player you would always have in your side, David had an infectious spirit that endeared him to his team-mates wherever he played and if ever there was a lionheart at the centre of a defence, this was the player who epitomised that description.

David came to Cornwall when he was 17 and joined Penzance.

In 1987-88 he was persuaded to join Falmouth Town as a striker by manager David Wadd who helped shape his career before Trevor Mewton took over the reins at Bickland Park.

He made his debut on August 26 in 1987 away to Bugle in the SWL - but it didn't last long. He came on as substitute and within minutes had to be substituted after managing to break his nose. He went on to make 258 appearance for Town, scoring 60 goals, the first of them coming against Tavistock during a 6-0 victory in the SWL.

He went on to achieve many honours with three SWL championships, two SWL Cup triumphs, and three Cornwall Senior Cup runners-up medals. He also captained Cornwall.

After the 1993-94 season he moved to Porthleven with Trevor Mewton and helped Alan Carey and George Torrance as coach before once more moving to Penzance.

Sorry about the confusion about the date for the Falmouth v Penzance game. It was originally arranged for Thursday 29th by George Torrance - who organises the tournament - and I hadn't picked up that it has been changed: consequently, I've advised everyone, including our local press, it was on the Thursday - which it obviously isn't!!

Thank you Mfh

This is the 6th.season of the Dave Gardner Memorial Trophy

2005 Knock Out....-Winners PENZANCE..... Finals Day held at Kellaway Parc-Helston

2006 Knock Out....-Winners FALMOUTH TOWN.Finals Day held at Gala Parc-Porthleven

2007 League Basis.-Winners PORTHLEVEN....Finals Day held at Penlee Park-Penzance

2008 League Basis.-Winners PENZANCE......Finals Day held at Bickland Park-Falmouth

2009 League Basis.-Winners FALMOUTH TOWN.Finals Day held at Kellaway Parc-Helston

Falmouth scored within the first 60 seconds.

Penzance then scored just before half time through I think Matt Witts.

Two quick goals part way through the second half from Johnny Ludlam, the first a curling free kick.

Last Falmouth goal from I think Liam Eddy, a cross goal shot that bounced in off the bottom of the far post just before full time.

After the first Falmouth goal, Pz gave as good as they got troubling Falmouth on the break.

Second half after 10-15mins started to be 60-40 to Falmouth.

Firery Jack the team should hold their own in the division and I reckon will finish just below mid-table.

Falmouth scored within the first 60 seconds.

Penzance then scored just before half time through I think Matt Witts.

Two quick goals part way through the second half from Johnny Ludlam, the first a curling free kick.

Last Falmouth goal from I think Liam Eddy, a cross goal shot that bounced in off the bottom of the far post just before full time.

After the first Falmouth goal, Pz gave as good as they got troubling Falmouth on the break.

Second half after 10-15mins started to be 60-40 to Falmouth.

Firery Jack the team should hold their own in the division and I reckon will finish just below mid-table.

I hope your right CTB.Some of the players wont make the grade at that level.They could at SWPLW but maybe not at next level up.Also doubts must be setting in re your "management team" already ?

Somewhere which isnt a "proper club" as Wayne put it only lost 2:1 to Falmouth in a close match with a makeshift team and in its very first match together.

There may be some long journeys this season for PZ supporters on this basis.

This was a good game to watch PZ are a young team, & I believe they will only get better as the season progreses, the two wingers were very good,first half their right winger was causing Falmouth a few problems, But the experience of the Falmouth team was the main difference, & as the game wore on it showed more & more,

& the PZ goal keeper was in fine form & saved them from a bigger defeat,

Both teams made several changes second half,

I was impressed with Shaunesey, he caused PZ a lot of problems on the wing, he is clever, & his passing across the front of goal was spot on,,

I think that alan Carey has got a good squad, this year, Weather some of them will be happy not playing a full game remains to be seen,

the improvments to the around the sides of the ground are progressing well, the pitch although very dry was looking good,

& although weather the was rainy there was quite a good turn out,

In conclusion once Falmouth have got the full squad to choose from, & playing they should do very well, but as we all know there are some very good sides, in this League.

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Guest Monty

Does any one know the lineups/goalscorers/referee as I was unable to get to Bickland last night.

Referee: Peter Grenville

Assistant: Lee Mitchell

Assistant: Steve Lawerance

Dont forget finals day at Porthleven's Gala Park. SAT 31ST JULY

Helston v Penzance 2pm ko

Porthleven v Falmouth Town 5pm ko

Come & watch what should be a good days football, support your team, but, above all, support a very worthwhile charity, fighting a disease that sadly took the wonderfull Dave Gardner from us far to early.

Enjoy the day. :thumbsup:

good game to watch.port deserved to win.

still got earache fron wayne quins constant

whingeing. REFFFFFFFFF REFFFFFFFFF

FREE KICK REFFFFFFFFFF. MUST BE THE SQUEEKIEST

GIRLS VOICE IVE EVER HEARD.

IT WAS GOOD TO WATCH 2 GOOD DIV 1 WEST SIDES.

cant wait till pz play falmouth.

come on falmouth :yahoo:

Lets lay off Quinn eh this is about Dave Gardner's cup not how pz and quinny are gettin on about time people left that in the past and moved on everyone has choices to make and he made one simple as that. Good luck to pz and Quinny and all the teams in the Dave Gardner's cup top guy i understand from what i heard and missed by many. All the best.

Town retained the Dave Gardner Trophy today with a 6-2 win over Porthleven.

Shane White got a hat-trick, Johnny Ludlam, Pat Shaughnessy and Matt Drummond got the others.

Ports goals came from Alan Thomas and Chris Lawrence.

Earlier in the day Helston lost 4-1 to Penzance.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/football/cswplpremierdivision/read_article/8305534.Falmouth_Town_retain_Dave_Gardner_Memorial_Trophy/