Cornwall Football Forum

Webb to referee world cup final

(Taken from sky sports news)

England's Howard Webb will be the referee for the World Cup final.

The 38-year-old from Rotherham has been chosen for the final by FIFA's referees committee.

Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey will officiate in the final on Sunday between Spain and Holland at Johannesburg's Soccer City. He will become the first Englishman to referee the final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

Webb has refereed three matches in this World Cup so far, starting off with Spain's shock defeat by Switzerland.

There was some unhappiness in Spain but Webb's team really impressed in Italy's clash with Slovakia where Cann was spot on with a tight call to rule out a Fabio Quagliarella equaliser.

In the first knock-out round match between Brazil and Chile, Mullarkey was praised for his decision to allow Luis Fabiano's goal while Chile defenders were claiming offside.

Great stuff and congratulations to Howard Webb and his team at least one Englishman has done us proud :clapper:

(Taken from sky sports news)

England's Howard Webb will be the referee for the World Cup final.

The 38-year-old from Rotherham has been chosen for the final by FIFA's referees committee.

Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey will officiate in the final on Sunday between Spain and Holland at Johannesburg's Soccer City. He will become the first Englishman to referee the final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

Webb has refereed three matches in this World Cup so far, starting off with Spain's shock defeat by Switzerland.

There was some unhappiness in Spain but Webb's team really impressed in Italy's clash with Slovakia where Cann was spot on with a tight call to rule out a Fabio Quagliarella equaliser.

In the first knock-out round match between Brazil and Chile, Mullarkey was praised for his decision to allow Luis Fabiano's goal while Chile defenders were claiming offside.

Great stuff and congratulations to Howard Webb and his team at least one Englishman has done us proud :clapper:

Yes cockerkneeboy, I agree one Englishman worth his salary,

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gareth

Are you feeling tired?

Maybe it is the wording that sent you into a spasm of ZZZs as I’m aware that the word ENG**SH is not to favourable with some members on this forum :o

Its good to see an English ref doing the world cup final, he stayed over in South Africa a lot longer then th England football team :clapper::smiley20: Lets hope he does England proud :c:

Taken from Des Kelly's column in the Daily Mail -

"Look, it's great news for his family, his friends and colleagues.

It might even make a few anoraks happy as they wait with their Tupperware sandwich box for the 10.54 to arrive at Crewe.

But the rest of us don't have to pretend to care if Howard Webb (pictured right) is chosen to referee the World Cup final, do we?

I keep hearing tosh like 'at least there could be one Englishman in the final', as if this was in some way a consolation for the team's disastrous showing in South Africa.

Taking comfort from Webb's progress is like watching Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton crash out of the British Grand Prix and being told the marshal waving the flag alongside the smouldering wreckage is an Englishman."

Never has a newspaper columnist summed up my feelings about something quite so well!!

I too could not give a stuff about who is referee in the World Cup final, and to be honest I (and most Spurs fans will agree with me), don't even rate as a ref, guarantee he makes a ricket tonight, which would just about sum up England's total performanace in this World Cup........ one big mistake!

Some more boring Trivia for you Gareth lol

The Referees Assistant in tonights World Cup Final-

Mike Mullarkey refereed at Bickland Park in season 1999-00

The match in question -F.A.Vase 3QR Replay

Falmouth Town 0 Tilbury 0 AET (Tilbury won on penalties) The first penalty shoot out at Bickland.

Webb had a nightmare and the AR's only got 50% right, so he was going to treat it as just another game was he? My backside he bottled it big time, I think he'll look back on it and be very depressed on a disapointing and quite frankly, rubbish performance. He deserved the boo's at the end.

Stig, I do not agree with you,

even the press agreed that he made mistakes as all referee's do but he could have finished the game if he had sent off two of the Dutch players for some very bad fouls, but no he wanted a game of football for the million's who were watching around the world,

in general it was a very poor game, in fact quite boring at times,

the Spanish players did in my view fool the ref with some of their diving & over acting on some of the fouls, but on many occasions, he was not fooled,

I would say that the final game is the hardest game to referee, of the whole tournament,

& on the whole the ref did a good job,

I was hoping that Holland would win, because I have a dislike of teams like Spain, Portugal, & Italy, who fool referee's with their diving,& acting,

when you see them rolling all over the place after a foul, it is so wrong, if one was realy hurt you would not be able to roll twist & turn on the ground, get up & carry on as if nothing has happened,

but I will say that in a very poor game, on balance Spain were the better team,

Hammers :c:;) :c:

and the AR's only got 50% right

Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us have the statistics to back up that statement!

I presume that you decide that the AR's have got a decision wrong after you have seen it in slow motion from 6 different angles! I bet your glad that your decisions don't receive the same scrutiny. :yahoo:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us have the statistics to back up that statement!

I presume that you decide that the AR's have got a decision wrong after you have seen it in slow motion from 6 different angles! I bet your glad that your decisions don't receive the same scrutiny. :yahoo:

Thank goodness Spain won. I was very surprised at the Dutch physical tactics especially in the first half. Yes Webb could and possibly should have sent off two Dutch players who quite frankly made two brutal attacks. As far as Spain diving, that has to be a joke, they did their best to stay on their feet not like Rubben. Refereeing at this level is a high octain job. The Dutch were lucky they didn't end up on the end of a massive defeat. I wonder what any referee would have done in the final especially dear old Stig. I have been a critic of referees on here but I would not have liked to have been in his shoes. One team tried to play and the other didn't. Perhaps he could have done better, but it shows the type of match he was involved in, there were 8 cautions and one sending off. And poor old Stig. It is easy to be armchair critics. Indeed this was the referee who went on to the pitch at Liskeard without his cards. Oh dear what a mistake, no wonder he never reached any decent level. Just keep being an armchair critic. And oh yes Webb got the boo's from the Dutch supporters. They should have cheered him to the rafters for keeping two of their players on the pitch. Funny old game.

I presume that you decide that the AR's have got a decision wrong after you have seen it in slow motion from 6 different angles! I bet your glad that your decisions don't receive the same scrutiny. yahoo.gif

Thank goodness Spain won. I was very surprised at the Dutch physical tactics especially in the first half. Yes Webb could and possibly should have sent off two Dutch players who quite frankly made two brutal attacks. As far as Spain diving, that has to be a joke, they did their best to stay on their feet not like Rubben. Refereeing at this level is a high octain job. The Dutch were lucky they didn't end up on the end of a massive defeat. I wonder what any referee would have done in the final especially dear old Stig. I have been a critic of referees on here but I would not have liked to have been in his shoes. One team tried to play and the other didn't. Perhaps he could have done better, but it shows the type of match he was involved in, there were 8 cautions and one sending off. And poor old Stig. It is easy to be armchair critics. Indeed this was the referee who went on to the pitch at Liskeard without his cards. Oh dear what a mistake, no wonder he never reached any decent level. Just keep being an armchair critic. And oh yes Webb got the boo's from the Dutch supporters. They should have cheered him to the rafters for keeping two of their players on the pitch. Funny old game.

Yes it is a wonder why I never reached any decent level, a bit like you Mr Potbelly, I sometimes wonder why you have never reached the dizzy heights of real reporting for a high end National newspaper instead of a two bit local that specializes in young girls in swimming costumes! but then again unlike you I took both parts of the referees exam and stuck to it, I didn't jack it in because I couldn't handle it, I still referee so I am no armchair ref, attending seminars and other meetings for my CPD.

So I went onto a pitch without my cards? "Oh dear what a mistake" I think not, it is not a requirement (within the laws of the game) for any referee to have cards on his person or show them during a match. You may also remember the referee at Dobwalls a year or two back that if memory serves me right, you slated because he didn't give a penalty when an attacker was clean through, "he was like a rabbit in the headlights" was I think what you said, well Mr. Potbelly that ref was me and as Dobwalls were already 3-0 up I played advantage as long as I could, if I had blown up straight away like you wanted, I would have to have awarded the penalty and sent off the Vospers defender, in the end Dobwalls scored so I only had to have a word with the defender, a case of armchair ref (you) nil and real ref (me) one.

In all honesty the ar's didn't have a lot to do and maybe it is a bit of an exageration to say 50% but as an active ref and not an armchair one I noticed things they did wrong and didn't need replays confirm my thoughts.

OK lets put this another way shall, Falmouth are playing in dark blue and team X are in orange and this is for a place in the FA Vase final, an orange player ploughs straight through the back of a Falmouth player (caution) another player studs a Falmouth player in the chest (caution) another player commits a leg breaker (caution) and so on and so on and so on, then an orange player who has already been cautioned kicks the ball away and does not recieve a second caution but a Falmouth player kicks the ball away and does recieve a caution, I think that everybody including Mr.Carey would be up on a charge before the end of the match and reports would have gone in about the refereeing performance.

HW had a hard job, he made it even harder for himself by not following the letter of the law, in interviews teh previous day, he said that he was just going to treat it as another game the fact is he did not, he let his heart rule his head and cocked up. So what if this was the WC final, it could so easily have been the euro championship final or the confederates cup final or in Mr. HW's case just another game, if it was just another game why did he made a mockery of the it by not sticking to the laws that he upholds week in week out in the premiership or in any other game?

And for your information Mr. Potbelly he issued 14 yellows not 8 as you have stated in your professional scripted capacity as a comic newspaper reporter!!!

Would I have done it differently, yes I would have done my job according to the laws of the game and not tried to keep the orange half happy, if that reffering performance had happened to your local team, you would all be up in arms about it and you may notice that I am not in the 'closed referee shop of back your colleague up at all costs' critisism where it's due and praise where it's due.

Mr. Potbelly, you ARE big but you're not funny, stick to rounders, school sports days and swimming galas, we all make mistakes but most of the time they are Unconscious ones, Mr HW made conscious mistakes that were wrong and cost him in the end. Oh and by the way I also forgot my cards at Wadebridge, and my watch at liverton, it's no big deal like you're trying to make out.

I presume that you decide that the AR's have got a decision wrong after you have seen it in slow motion from 6 different angles! I bet your glad that your decisions don't receive the same scrutiny. yahoo.gif

Yes it is a wonder why I never reached any decent level, a bit like you Mr Potbelly, I sometimes wonder why you have never reached the dizzy heights of real reporting for a high end National newspaper instead of a two bit local that specializes in young girls in swimming costumes! but then again unlike you I took both parts of the referees exam and stuck to it, I didn't jack it in because I couldn't handle it, I still referee so I am no armchair ref, attending seminars and other meetings for my CPD.

So I went onto a pitch without my cards? "Oh dear what a mistake" I think not, it is not a requirement (within the laws of the game) for any referee to have cards on his person or show them during a match. You may also remember the referee at Dobwalls a year or two back that if memory serves me right, you slated because he didn't give a penalty when an attacker was clean through, "he was like a rabbit in the headlights" was I think what you said, well Mr. Potbelly that ref was me and as Dobwalls were already 3-0 up I played advantage as long as I could, if I had blown up straight away like you wanted, I would have to have awarded the penalty and sent off the Vospers defender, in the end Dobwalls scored so I only had to have a word with the defender, a case of armchair ref (you) nil and real ref (me) one.

In all honesty the ar's didn't have a lot to do and maybe it is a bit of an exageration to say 50% but as an active ref and not an armchair one I noticed things they did wrong and didn't need replays confirm my thoughts.

OK lets put this another way shall, Falmouth are playing in dark blue and team X are in orange and this is for a place in the FA Vase final, an orange player ploughs straight through the back of a Falmouth player (caution) another player studs a Falmouth player in the chest (caution) another player commits a leg breaker (caution) and so on and so on and so on, then an orange player who has already been cautioned kicks the ball away and does not recieve a second caution but a Falmouth player kicks the ball away and does recieve a caution, I think that everybody including Mr.Carey would be up on a charge before the end of the match and reports would have gone in about the refereeing performance.

HW had a hard job, he made it even harder for himself by not following the letter of the law, in interviews teh previous day, he said that he was just going to treat it as another game the fact is he did not, he let his heart rule his head and cocked up. So what if this was the WC final, it could so easily have been the euro championship final or the confederates cup final or in Mr. HW's case just another game, if it was just another game why did he made a mockery of the it by not sticking to the laws that he upholds week in week out in the premiership or in any other game?

And for your information Mr. Potbelly he issued 14 yellows not 8 as you have stated in your professional scripted capacity as a comic newspaper reporter!!!

Would I have done it differently, yes I would have done my job according to the laws of the game and not tried to keep the orange half happy, if that reffering performance had happened to your local team, you would all be up in arms about it and you may notice that I am not in the 'closed referee shop of back your colleague up at all costs' critisism where it's due and praise where it's due.

Mr. Potbelly, you ARE big but you're not funny, stick to rounders, school sports days and swimming galas, we all make mistakes but most of the time they are Unconscious ones, Mr HW made conscious mistakes that were wrong and cost him in the end. Oh and by the way I also forgot my cards at Wadebridge, and my watch at liverton, it's no big deal like you're trying to make out.

Nice one Stig. Good to see you have a sense of humour and you are still absent minded. Apart from all the drivel you have just posted you obviously have no idea who I write for. It is just like ECPL we work under different by lines both locally and nationally. It just shows how funny sometimes you can be.

I'm afraid I don't cover the Peninsula League so I would suggest you slag off the other potbelly reporter for his remarks of that match. Silly man.

But there again everyone from Blatter downwards seems to be saying how well Webb handled the cup final under difficult circumstances. Your comments show just why you have never achieved any decent standard in the game. I think its called common sense. Hopefully you will still carry on as we need as many men in black as we can.

Oh by the way I loved the way you said at the time (NOT A REQUIREMENT WITHIN THE RULES) I don't have to carry cards. How convenient. Just remember I was at the match and stood no more than 5 yards from you when you approached the assistant on the touchline on the town side and heard most of what you said with a Liskeard supporter. I have seen you in action on a number of occasions and yes you have put in some good performances but analyzing from your armchair with numerous play backs we can all do.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you gave an analogy of a Falmouth match. COMMON SENSE dear boy. Don't assume what anyone is going to do in any given situation. You should know you deal with what you see not what you assume. Good luck to the new season - and don't forget your cards and your watch.