Cornwall Football Forum

Massey's Mutterings - June 16th 2010

Have you visited this week's Massey's Mutterings yet? Why not take a look

On the subject of Trevor Mewton, Steve, he could allways try & do what the rest of us mere Peninsular league managers have to do, & that is, work with no or very little budget & build a team rather than just buy one ! Dont get me wrong, i have the greatest respect for what Trevor has acheived in cornish football, however, he has allways had a substancial budget to work with, (including my own club). Now, in this time of financial reccesion, managers are having to persuade players to play for the club rather than the pound notes. This might just be an eye opener for the most successfull manager cornish football has ever had ! Can he do it !!!!!!

Have you visited this week's Massey's Mutterings yet? Why not take a look

On the subject of Trevor Mewton, Steve, he could allways try & do what the rest of us mere Peninsular league managers have to do, & that is, work with no or very little budget & build a team rather than just buy one ! Dont get me wrong, i have the greatest respect for what Trevor has acheived in cornish football, however, he has allways had a substancial budget to work with, (including my own club). Now, in this time of financial reccesion, managers are having to persuade players to play for the club rather than the pound notes. This might just be an eye opener for the most successfull manager cornish football has ever had ! Can he do it !!!!!!

:clapper:

We are talking cornish football here football person, not premier league ! The reccession has hit cornwall harder than anywhere else in the country & buisnesses are suffering for it. Any clubs & their managers sponsored by these companies must suffer also ! I am just asking the question that has been asked for a number of years, can these top managers do it without the pound notes ?. Trevor now has the chance to take over a mid or lower table team & prove that the manager & not the budget won all those trophies.Are you saying that if a club out there does not come up with a budget that Trevor cannot turn down, he will just walk away rather than take on a challenge ?.As for jealousy ! I have been lucky enough to stand in the next dugout to Trevor on a few occassions & then talk to the man after games & i can assure you i have nothing but respect for the man & what he has achieved in football. This is not a personal attack on Trevor, no way would i do that, but the budget situation that has caused Trevor to leave Penzance & Gary Marks to leave Hayle is going to hit a lot more clubs before long, are they all just going to walk away, or stay & take on a challenge ?

where trevor's managed there has been some form of budget,as the clubs who have asked him to go there wanted a manager who guarantee's success, with thier hard earned money.not a manager, who has no pedigree, player pulling power, and no guarantee of anything for this money.(not implying yourself as do not know who or where you have been)

im guessing with the business and relationships he has formed over a long and unrivaled by any other manager period, he can pull on help and maybe raise extra funds, to aid his quest for success.

what ambitious manager(premiership,championship,conference,swpl,combo, to sunday morning) ever wants to take a step backwards? they earn the right to get the better jobs with better opportunitys.

agree that yes we are in tough times, but can assure you that there are clubs out there, offering tidy sums to players, with the single ambition to be more succesful next season than the last. its the nature of people, for instance Buckland pulled off a very good double last season...this will not be sitting comfortably with 6/7 clubs who will not doubt pull out all the resources available to put their clubs name on a trophy.

im sure trevor will take some time out..but very shortly a club with plans to conquer, not someone who wants to grow from the 'locals' and bringing on 'youth', as this never works, will be giving him a call first.

Guest Norry

kevin richards..to a large point is quite right....if you want success at any club you need reserves of cash.....but their lies the problem...loyalty goes out of the window,as the £ swallows up the players that are needed to form a winning side...but you can hardly blame a player if even at this level of football be it senior or junior..he has a price on his head.

and though i managed a small local side in (sennen fc) it didn't take money to haul any players in.they were dedicated to the clubs cause,and like so many other junior sides with no 1st team commitments..ie running a single club.money was never an issue.but the larger clubs want success,and to win,they need to pay..but kevin richards is right...the monies all drying up..so where next,for the egotistal player who only plays for the money,and not the case for club loyalty. it's an ill wind that blows in the south west,and the merry go round of players switching clubs will always be spinning...each club both senior and junior,have desires.....but it's the pounds,shillings,and pence,that will decide where their respective success will go.mr mewton deserves all the respect over all he has achived in his football management,and no doubt where ever he goes success will follow.but at a price....two kinds of managers.....those with??..those without...but who is the greater.

kevin richards..to a large point is quite right....if you want success at any club you need reserves of cash.....but their lies the problem...loyalty goes out of the window,as the £ swallows up the players that are needed to form a winning side...but you can hardly blame a player if even at this level of football be it senior or junior..he has a price on his head.

and though i managed a small local side in (sennen fc) it didn't take money to haul any players in.they were dedicated to the clubs cause,and like so many other junior sides with no 1st team commitments..ie running a single club.money was never an issue.but the larger clubs want success,and to win,they need to pay..but kevin richards is right...the monies all drying up..so where next,for the egotistal player who only plays for the money,and not the case for club loyalty. it's an ill wind that blows in the south west,and the merry go round of players switching clubs will always be spinning...each club both senior and junior,have desires.....but it's the pounds,shillings,and pence,that will decide where their respective success will go.mr mewton deserves all the respect over all he has achived in his football management,and no doubt where ever he goes success will follow.but at a price....two kinds of managers.....those with??..those without...but who is the greater.