Cornwall Football Forum

Deacon 3 - 2 Rapsey

Deacon 3 – 2 Rapsey

Dave Deacon retained the Cornwall Football Forum Help for Heroes trophy after a marginal victory in wet conditions at Blaise Park this afternoon.

Following 4-2 success at Carharrack against Richard Chown last season, Deacon welcomed the challenge of local goalscoring legend Mark Rapsey and felt confident that he could retain his silverware for another season.

Early encounters indicated that it was going to be a tight affair, with the slick Blaise Park pitch making for excellent conditions despite the humidity, however, a rapid-fire double from Perranporth’s Barry Leete provided Deacon’s side with a deserved early lead. Truro’s Jake Ash pushed forward and found Lee Rickard of St. Dennis, who curled a pin-point cross into the area for Leete to sweep home an outstanding right foot volley into the far corner of the net with Paul Hider well beaten. Just two minutes later Leete doubled his tally when a poor clearance fell to Rickard who squared the ball to allow Leete to curl another right-footed finish into the bottom right hand corner of Hider’s net.

Lee Rickard, scorer of three goals in this fixture last season, was denied by Buckley’s flag when through on goal. Deacon’s side pushed forward on a regular basis with Penzance’s James Miller looking a threat when cutting in from the wing and Miller was unfortunate not to add a third. Rapsey’s team rallied and Deacon had his first scare when Perranporth’s Danny Burrows blocked a shot that spilled out of his grasp and fortunately bounced to safety. Rapsey’s side were spurred on as Martin Gritton used his pace to outstrip the defence, sliding the ball across the box into the path of Truro defender Andy Van Evelingen, who miraculously poked the ball straight at his own goalkeeper from ten yards to deny what looked like a great opportunity to reduce the deficit.

Deacon’s side sat back to defend their lead and were happy to counter attack with James Miller at the centre of their attacking play, Rapsey’s side had Trispen’s Marc Taylor to thank after a last-ditch challenge that prevented Miller from capitalising on a clear opportunity on goal. Rapsey’s side broke quickly and Martin Watts saw Burrows off his line and watched on as his lofted strike went agonisingly over the crossbar. Rapsey’s side were in the ascendency and were unlucky not to reduce the deficit when excellent build up play resulted in cross being headed back across goal by Gritton. Trispen’s Graham Cook took the ball in his stride and could only watch on as his drive from the penalty spot struck the crossbar and bounced away to safety. Despite the pressure, Deacon’s back four held their nerve, with Pete Davey (Probus) leading by example with an outstanding challenge with Gritton bearing down on goal and the impressive Darren Burchell holding possesion in midfield. Deacon rotated his players in the first half and introduced Newquay’s Michael Rabone late on. Rabone had a perfect opportunity to extend the lead, chipping over Hider but also over the bar.

Despite a spirited fight back from Rapsey’s eleven, Deacon’s side were good value for their first-half lead, a combination of Leete’s finishing and some good fortune putting another trophy in the grasp of Dave Deacon.

The second half was a different matter, with Deacon’s side finding it difficult to contend with the attacking power of Rapsey’s experienced forward line. St Blazey’s Glynn Hooper had an outstanding opportunity to cut the lead and squandered a chance from six yards when well placed to score. Despite the lucky break, Deacon’s side were reduced to sporadic counter attacks and excellent link-up play from Leete and Rickard resulted in a fine save from Perranwell’s Paul Williams. Blazey’s Graham Rule picked up the ball inside his own half and broke forward, finding Rickard who returned the favour, only for Rule to run out of steam having covered over fifty yards with Williams untested.

Rapsey’s side continued to threaten with quick counter attacks and Gritton tried his luck from thirty yards with a first time volley that sailed wide. Truro’s Martin Watts looked likely to score and was presented with a perfect opportunity when Gosling’s pinpoint centre was headed into his path at the far post. Watts looked odds on to score and somehow managed to head the ball onto the underside of the bar from close range, much to the frustration of Rapsey who was beginning to believe that Deacon’s side were on the right end of some more good fortune. However, Rapsey’s side got the break they deserved, continued pressure resulted in a corner and a quick routine resulted in a low cross from Gosling that Gritton stepped over for Graham Cook to slide home an excellent finish past the helpless Burrows.

Just as Rapsey’s side looked to get back into the game, both Miller and Leete tried their luck from outside the box, with both strikes marginally wide of the target. Deacon’s defence looked vulnerable to the waves of attack from Rapsey’s strikeforce and somehow managed to extend their lead, a long ball from Threemilestone's Jason Peters found Rickard, who used his pace to break the offside trap to touch the ball around Williams and into the empty net. However, Deacon’s side were unable to hold on to their lead for long, with Gosling continuing to threaten from both wings. Gosling created space on the right and floated a perfect cross for Gritton to head home from six yards. With ten minutes remaining, Rapsey’s all out attack formation looked to have paid off when a corner from the left was headed goalwards and Deacon looked anxiously on as referee Lee Mitchell appeared to have given a goal. Sadly for Rapsey, the comeback was denied by a free kick to the defending team for an infringement in the box.

Despite the pressure, Deacon’s side continued to play a cavalier brand of football, going close on two occasions following a goalmouth scramble, with Williams making another fine save from the impressive Miller. Quite how Rapsey’s side didn’t forge an equalised in the last five minutes will remain a mystery; Burrows denied Hooper from the edge of the area, Gritton drove wide after opting to shoot first time and defender Steve Allen arrived at the back post and headed wide. Ian Gosling looked a continued threat and his inch-perfect cross was side-footed home by Watts at the far post, only to be denied by Chowne’s flag. At the other end, a rare late attack resulted in Rabone smashing a low volley a yard wide of Williams post. Gosling then had a golden opportunity to forge a late equaliser, working space in the area to strike goalwards, only to watch on as his low shot beat Burrows but not the frame of the goal.

With Deacon’s side holding on after some very good fortune, Mitchell ended a very entertaining battle with the final whistle.

Thank you to Richard Chown for his contribution to another outstanding event to raise money for Help for Heroes and Cornwall Air Ambulance and also to St Blazey Football Club for hosting a fantastic afternoon; the support of the sixty individuals attending today's game was very much appreciated.

Man of the match – James ‘Graham’ Miller for an outstanding attacking performance.

Team Deacon - Jake Ash (Truro City), James Miller (Penzance), Andrew Van Evelingen (Truro City), Daniel Burrows (Perranporth), Peter Davey (Probus), Lee Rickard (St Dennis), Chris Truscott (St Dominick), Michael Rabone (Newquay), Darren Meagor (Helston), Lee Collins (St Cleer), Neil Williams (Torpoint Athletic), Alex Matthews (Carharrack), Barry Leete (Perranporth), Jason Peters (Threemilestone), Graham Rule (St Blazey), Darren Burchell (Porthlevern)

Team Rapsey - Martin Watts (Truro City), Paul Hider (Launceston), Ian Gosling (Perranporth), Kevin Wills (Stoke Gabriel), Chris Davey (Probus), Glynn Hooper (St Blazey), Steve Allen (Perranwell), Paul Williams (Perranwell), Matthew Williams (Tywardreath), Guy Johnson (Redruth Utd), Liam Patterson (Threemilestone), Darren Buckley (Storm), Graham Cook (Trispen), Matt Saunders (Falmouth Ath), Marc Taylor (Trispen), Chris Webb (Truro City Vets), Martin Gritton (Chesterfield), Martine Ede (physio)

I would just like to thank everyone involved today. As soon as I get a chance I will add more about the day. Some fantastic football played by everyone today. Does anybody know the man that took photos today?

Rich

PS: Micheal, do you wear a dictaphone when playing as your reports are so detailed? No way I could have remembered all that, will send it into the papers this week.

Thanks for the very detailed report Michael. I thought our side did well to contain so many star Cornish football household names such as current Chesterfield professional Martin Gritton, FA Vase winners Gossie, Kevin Wills and Glyn Hooper as well as winning! Our front two of Barry and Lee were a handful all afternoon. Barry, you have to be wasted in Falmouth-Helston football!

I just think its great for players such as our young left back Alex Matthews to get the opportunity to play alongside the likes of James, Burchy and Jake and enjoy the experience.

A special word too for Neil Williams (Torpoint Duchy side), having called it a day now on his playing career to concentrate on managing next season at Edgecombe, while good luck to Graham Rule who has another two games of football ahead of him tomorrow!

Thanks again to all the players for turning out to play and it was played in a great spirit, making it also an enjoyable afternoon for the man in the middle, Lee Mitchell.

Must also thank St Blazey for allowing us the use of their facilities.

One final thing, does anyone know of anyone who took any photos at the game? If so, can they e-mail any across to me at davedeacon@cornishsoccer.info :yahoo:

Great report Mike! Spot on i would say! My fault going 3-5-2 and being 2-0 down after 8 minutes!

That's why i dont want to be a manager!!! :( Alot better after we went 4-4-2!? Excellent game to watch,really open and end to end,could have easily been 7-7!!! Well done to Deacs,the best man won! :clapper: Just like

to thank all my lads again for playing and it was great to see some old friends i aint seen

for a while.

A big well done to Rich for arranging the day,shame a there was'nt a few more there to see it.Good

luck to the next man to take on Dave next year! :smiley20:

I would like to add my thanks to everyone involved in arranging the game yesterday; it was great to be involved in a match for such good causes. I have to say the pitch at St. Blazey is still outstanding.

I was also like to thank Rappo for putting me at left-back when we went 4-4-2, especially in the second-half when there was no-one in-front of me, and playing me for the full 90 minutes! I was faced with the prospect of Jake Ash, Darren Burchell, James Miller and Lee Rickard all attacking down my side :SM_carton: ! I didn’t think that was fair because I couldn’t even deal with one of them, let alone all 4! It might be time for me to stop playing as now even Burchy can out pace me :P

Thanks again to everyone. I really enjoyed getting the chance to be involved.

Guest Robbie

Rappo, someone told me the move of the match was you eating a burger in the dugout mate!! :D Hope it was'nt so painful as the Mars bar Spanner got you to eat in Weston-Super-Mare!! :) Sounds like you all had a good day, well done to all. :c:

Guest Burchy

:thumbsup: Chris is was nice to play against you and not get either elbowed in the face or sythed up in the air from behind!!!

Dunno about quicker......think thats just the drop of the shoulder still....

But again would like to thank those that organised the event and it was a pleasure being involved for such a good cause!!

Well done lads the game was played in great spirit!!!

If only we could all roll back the clock.... :clapper::clapper: :clapper:

I just wanted to say what a fantastic match to play in and for me the chance to play with so many great players

The game was played in the right spirit and I would like to thank Richard Chown for all of his hard work and effort that went into organising the event and long may it continue, Also thanks to Rappo and Dave for producing two very good sides

Thanks also to St Blazey for letting us use the pitch

I must also add thanks to those who turned up and supported the players and charities it was very much appreciated

With regards to the photos im not sure how many people were taking them but a mate of mine has just emailed me a few and I think this could be who Richard and Dave are talking about so I will email them to you and also post them on the forum later on

All in all a very enjoyable day and an experience I shall not forget

I still think team Rappo should have won with the amount of chances we had but well done to Dave and his boys for retaining the cup and many thanks again to all involved

Had a great time yesterday, really enjoyed watching some excellent football and nobody looked out of place, not even the barn door that I couldn't quite locate! It was the first time that I have played at Blaise Park (one of the few benches that I haven't sat on ;)) Really enjoyed writing the report, it was great to be involved in such an enjoyable fundraising event.

Thanks to Rich, Dave and Rappo for a very entertaining afternoon; I hope a good sum of money has been raised for two very worthwhile causes.

From a spectator point of view I thought it was a great game to watch. I felt that Rappo's team had the chances but if you dont score then you get punished. Agreed with the MOM choice although there were loads of good performances out there. Well done to all those involved.

Just a quick thanks to Rappo and the boys for a great game yesterday.It was a honour to play with some of the legends of cornish soccer.Well done to Rich for organising the game and good luck to everyone for next season.

Guest Chris webb

Hi Rappo

Just wanted to say a big thank you to for asking me to play on Saturday, I really enjoyed it, it was nice to get the boots back on especially for a very worthy cause and to grace the field with some old Truro players like Pete and Chris Davey Graham Miller Gossey and Wembley Wills, but I must say mate we would have won if you were playing,with all the chances we had you would have been there poaching and put them in the onion bag, but like me mate the brain says yes but the body says no, once again thanks Rappo. :clapper: :clapper

It was brilliant to see you all and you've still got it Webby. Not many can ping a ball like you can mate!!!! Yeah - thanks Stevo, I was getting really envious seeing all that quality service coming into the box. I was still up for it after my half time cheeseburger but then the Mrs bought over a hot dog with fried onions on it with 25 to go and I knew the game was up for me mate!!! Well you've got to support the charity haven't you!!!! I think those photos caught me just after I finished the hot dog actually :) Fantastic day and it was great being around all those top quality players again. A big thanks again to everyone that played - you did yourselves proud and to those who came and watched/supported. Hope Rich has made a few quid towards a great cause. :clapper:

I would also like to say that it was a great afternoon and really enjoyed the match. It was great to play with some footballers from a higher standard as it will be the only time I run out at Blazey with their first team kit on !!!!!!

Thanks to all those that organised the day and also to Dave for putting me out on the wing !!! :wacko: :wacko:

Guest Monty

Many thanks to Richard Chown for asking me to officiate it was one of the highlights of my so far short Referees career and just to referee on the hallowed turf of Blaise park was enough, I really enjoyed this game and if every game was this easy to officiate then the beautiful game would be so much more attractive.

Thanks again and well done Deacs on pure management genius to beat Rappos all stars.