Cornwall Football Forum

Tom Benny

Guest Oldaggieboy

Guest Oldaggieboy

I would just like to congratulate Tom on a fabulous season,55 goals for a mid table team is incredible and still todays game to go.

I can remember Tom as a youngster stuggling to get into Aggie 2nds,but then they had the legends Mike Counter and Rappo,Tom is a true legend himself now,a one club man(as far as i know) who without doubt could play at a higher level but has stood by his home town rather than go chasing money he has bound to have been offered.

Not only is he a great player at this level but also a gentleman and great ambassador for local football,i wonder how many times he has been booked this season?,very few i suspect.

I understand the League record is held by Neil Payne from St Just which I think subject to one of the Statto's telling me otherwise is 58 - Tom got 58 in total - I think he needed 3 more League goals to take the League goal scoring record, I need some Statto to confirm that though 'coz I haven't been around as long in football as quite a lot of you!

If we hadn't had our end of season function on the night before our last fixture against Culdrose on Saturday and had Tom had a team around him that didn't look like they had been out all night the night before I suspect the record would've been Tom's. A fantastic achievement in anyone's career in football! We finished a creditable 8th place this season only 4 points off the 3rd position which shows how close the grouping was at the top half of the table and a great end to the Season with our Club Presentations held at the Driftwood Spars Hotel on Friday. Top Goal Scorer - Tom Benney (again).

From recollections I think Tom did get a yellow card several years ago - we had a word and its never happened again - he is a legend and an all around 'clubman' - always there when needed off the pitch as well as on it!

Ton did get a passport to Falmouth a few years ago for about 3 fixtures but missed Kimmo too much so was soon proudly back in his black and white stripes.

We are very proud of him and his achievements! Well done Tom!

Hi Nig and Mandy,think i might have the answer??? Although Deacs would probably know spot on!?

First of all,congrats to Tom on a fantastic season,could'nt happen to a nicer lad.As Oldaggieboy

said i first remember Tom when he was a little 15 year old coming on for me or Mike for the last

10 minutes of games and you could always see he was destined for good things.My original record was 53 league goals when i was 18 playing for Newquay with a very talented keeper in that team by the name of Martin Kimmins!!!My best ever season in the combo

was 59 goals for Perranwell which included 3 in the senior cup so the total which went towards the

combo record was 56.Pretty sure Neil had 61 when he beat my record with 4 in the senior cup that season

which would equal 57.So if Tom has not scored any senior cup goals in his total he could have the record

but with Aggie doing well in that this season he probably would have? Its just league and league cup

goals that go towards the combo record.Hope you,ve done it Tom!!!? :clapper:

Tom has scored 52 goals in league matches, 4 in combo cup matches making a total of 56. This is the figure the combo will use.

He has won the Golden Boot Award for this season in the league but if there was a tie it would come down to the number of games played with the winner being whoever scored the most in the fewest games, i.e. their scoring rate per game.