Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy reserve team cup Predictions

Looe may well win but I'll be very surprised if it's easy.

I think it will be a very close game. A few excellent goalscorers on the pitch tomorrow

All the Powell boys are Looe born and bred and if I'm not wrong were playing for Looe last season

Could well be a feisty tussle !

Just heard that St Cleer won 3-2. Well done lads on a fantastic first season in the Duchy League. Plenty to celebrate at the presentation evening tomorrow.

St Cleer scorers were Colin Wilson (2) and Ryan Powell.

Great result for St Cleer well done a victory well deserved good game to watch. St Cleer well prepared and more lethal finishing ensured they took the prize Congratulations, good to see a team preparing with a thorough warm up, coach had them through their paces and that got them out the blocks raring to go, scoring in the 1st moments of the game, Looe turned up without such preparation ? people working probably, but they got there just before KO which I feel didnt get them into the game as quick as St Cleer.

All the best for Next Year

Sammo

i reckon looe will win easy !!! quality side

Looks like you were a little bit wrong with your prediction! They are a quality side but we had more quality!!!!!

Whoop whoop, What a great win, everyone played there socks off.

Fair play to looe, they played really well and made a good game out of it. Good luck next season to them!

i reckon looe will win easy !!! quality side

Looks like you were a little bit wrong with your prediction! They are a quality side but we had more quality!!!!!

Whoop whoop, What a great win, everyone played there socks off.

Fair play to looe, they played really well and made a good game out of it. Good luck next season to them!

yes i was very wrong so congratulations to st cleer on your victory and stopping looes run in this cup !!! :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Guest Shilton's Love Child

Here's the match report sent to the Cornish Times:

Football is as much about predicting results as the results themselves. Few could have forseen what happened in this cup final, which is why St. Cleer’s win over Looe Town will live long in the memory. Despite beating sides from higher divisions on the way to the final, many thought that the Duchy League Division 5 team had little hope against their Division 2 opponents. Coming second in Division 5 may signify a good side, but when your opponents, the current trophy holders, achieve the same three divisions higher, and make your semi final aggregate score (10-4) look like a minor blip, the challenge becomes obvious. Looe have graced this competition for several seasons and with a 16-0 aggregate win in their semi, there had been no sign of that changing. Until the start of this year’s final, that is. Proof that St. Cleer weren’t reading the form book came when Colin Wilson bagged a brace within six minutes, his first a six yard poach after only 57 seconds. Looe recovered and began to raise their game; reward came quickly with a penalty after what felt like an hour but was only ten minutes, Robbie Spence converting. Maybe normal service was being resumed. With Looe finding their rhythm and building pressure, the talismanic Ryan Powell scored Saints’ third in the 35th minute to give those watching pause for thought. Perhaps an upset was unfolding after all. The second half was a battle of wits, both teams playing determinedly, fairly and intelligently, Looe making darting runs and sniffing for openings, Saints solidly defending and counter-attacking, hitting the bar on one occasion. The tide slowly turned towards Looe; pressure turned into shots towards goal, then Max Anderson calmly slotted their second on 84 minutes. It was too late. A frantic six minutes stretched beyond reason but St Cleer held firm for a deserved 3-2 win and were presented with the trophy by Duchy League chairman Colin Burrell. St Cleer can’t rest on their laurels for too long, though; reorganization within the club means that if St. Cleer are to repeat this season’s success, they need a second team manager. Anyone interested in helping take the squad forward should contact the club as soon as possible.