Cornwall Football Forum

ILLOGAN RBL Mining League 1 Champions!!

Illogan 10 - 0 St Buryan

Adam (Goal Machine) Callaway 3, Johnny Jones 2, Ian Cunningham 1, Jason (Grandad) Buckley 1, Lee Harris 1, Joseph (Curly) Curnow 1, and Sean Pollard 1 (yes seriously Sean Pollard bagged one and setup one).

Great win for us and I wont get into the whole St Buryan having mostly 2nd team players side of things as you can only beat what is put out in front of you.

It takes a lot of work to win a league and even more to retain it, so its an amazing achievement by all the players and all the back room Staff none more so than our Managers Mikey Pascoe and Mark Waters who have done a fantastic job this year again.

Don't think anyone can argue that over a season the best side in the league will come out winners and that is certainly the case here in my biased opinion shame we didnt do more in the cups but there is always next year. :yahoo::yahoo::drink: :drink:

Congratulations Illogan and a genuine but well done, but yes, there is always next year, because your club has no ambition. Won the mining 1 league and odds on to win the combo also yet no applications for promotion. Big fish, small ponds. Could have promoted both teams into the peninsula league and the combo, would have also helped a hell of a lot with changing players between the first and second teams without reinstatements etc.

Ha ha appologies for having a very successful club built around player loyalty where every player is willing to play for the club regardless of what league we are in, its a really crap situation to be in.

Also not that I feel we have to justify it but before making a step up to the next senior league you have to make sure everyone in the club wants to do it and that you have your house in order so to speak. It would cost the club a lot more money to run 2 x senior sides so we need to do some work before hand other wise you end up in the situation teams like Portreath are in where they have tried to better themselves going up a league far to early and now ruined its self.

Congratulations to Mark, Mikey and the Illogan players, without doubt the best team in the division and worthy winners for the 2nd successive season. :clapper:

Might of been slightly more interesting if Buryan wern't so far behind on games, but scoring on average 5 goals a game with just over 1 against shows how good this illogan team have been. :smiley20:

On another note, If Illogan had applied for promotion, where would you think the sides they have at the moment would figure at the next level? I think they're both good enough to be top 8 in both league's.

Don't get me wrong Gee, Illogan is a fantastic club and deserves its success. I appreciate the issues with regards to finances and player commitments etc but in my view your club has grown to be so strong over the past 4-5 years that I thought you would be in a very good position to step up. Only the club itself will ever know however.

There isn't really any more travelling in the combination league than the mining league, the only extra travelling would be for the peninsula league. When I used to play I would have loved to have won a league and be promoted and try our luck at the next level, and would have been upset had the club chosen to stay in the same league when they had a chance to progress

On another note, If Illogan had applied for promotion, where would you think the sides they have at the moment would figure at the next level? I think they're both good enough to be top 8 in both league's.

Definitely. The first team would push top 5, I truly believe that, and the seconds would be in the mix with the top 7 or 8 in the combo.

Well done Gareth and all at Illogan. Another good season from the club throughout, you don’t have to justify to other people why the club should or shouldn't progress. You are correct in saying that too many clubs run before they can walk, Penryn for many years built up great winning ethos which then gave them stability, it was only then did they progress into the then SWL league, to do this you most certainly need to have your house in order which includes player stability, finances, a working committee, and a good managerial structure throughout the club, Illogan are now the envy of many clubs in the JCCL, when you visit Oxland Parc you can see they are making great progress and surely the club will know if/when the move would be right

On behalf of myself and Robartes would like to congratulate Illogan on their success again. Defo the best side in the league and have showed it throughout the season. Great bunch of local lads too lets not forget. Well done, enjoy it.

Congratulations Illogan from all at St Buryan.

Shame we didn't match you on the day but for sure you showed the 2nds hows it's done.

Non stop all over the park and making sure the title was yours on the night.

Well done lads.

very well won and deserved winners of the mining league..but one thing still ranks with me..has the...cricket!!season started.??? st buryan win the junior cup and set high standards,that is required to win it...but as soon as cricket comes along they and a whole lot of other players who's team cannot achive any more suddenly vanish...when will they ever sort out this fixture problem,and cross matching football with cricket....they don't mix.. and before anyone tells me it's down to work commitments and injuries...the whole 2nd team..i beg to differ.nice when you can pick and choose,how when.and where you want to play...it just devalues a whole season...so well done illogan,and well done st buryan on both your achivements...just wish,this whole sorry scenario could be sorted...sorry if i seem bitter and twisted,this is only an observation by me...no offence intended to either club.

Alot of the St Buryans players play at the highest level of Cricket in Cornwall and its understandable that they stop playing Footie at the end of April.

Its a shame for St Buryan but thats just the way it is.

If they didn't make it to two finals and one semi-final they would be playing there last game this weekend. I guess thats the price of sucess!

Congratulations to Mikey, Mark and all associated with their sucess in defending their crown. Winning it once is hard but defending it is even harder. Your efforts would I am sure make a certain Mr Arthur Pearce proud of his Mining League.

Good luck in the future, however I am sure there are clubs hoping to match your high standards next season.

Enjoy!

Many congratulations to Illogan RBL for winning the mining 1 league title and I have to agree that over the whole season they have been the best

I would also like to congratulate my old muccas Nick Ward (Baggie) Jason Buckley Joseph (Curly) Curnow and Sean Pollard (I cannot believe he scored)

a fixed fine for not taking promotion? just a thought...slate me if you want just want to hear your thoughts

How can you fine a team that can't be promoted???? Illogan have taken the decision not to seek promotion to peninsula(West)for their combination league side so the 2nd team cant be promoted. Maybe the sides that didn't win the league this year need to strive to improve to match them rather then moan that they cant win the league because Illogan have not seeked promotion.

the sun must be getting to you pitty defending Illogan :P

Haha don't worry Ted i'm not bleeding black & white like Gareth you know the club I belong at as your son has just desrvedly won player of the year at it!!

I think people need to realise that rising through the leagues isn't cheap and you can have a great season one year but not so great the following.....The only club i can think of that were consitently winning titles & cups in the combo was Penryn in the mid 90's and even they struggled a bit after making the jump. Look at Goonhavern, Mousehole & Wendron who all made the decison to seek promotion but now are the shadow of the sides they once were....Do Illogan want to take that risk with their two successful sides.....progress is good but it has to be sustained!!

I think people need to realise that rising through the leagues isn't cheap and you can have a great season one year but not so great the following.....The only club i can think of that were consitently winning titles & cups in the combo was Penryn in the mid 90's and even they struggled a bit after making the jump. Look at Goonhavern, Mousehole & Wendron who all made the decison to seek promotion but now are the shadow of the sides they once were....Do Illogan want to take that risk with their two successful sides.....progress is good but it has to be sustained!!

Difference being Pitty, Mousehole nor Wendron should have been promoted - they weren't in the promotion positions and the end of the season but were accepted to make up the numbers in the peninsula league. They weren't good enough to go up, whereas Goonhavern were, as are Illogan now. Illogan are a much stronger club on the whole than Goonhavern ever were, and Goonhavern won the league once and went up. I very much doubt that they would struggle either financially or for players.