Cornwall Football Forum

Will there be relegation from JCCL this season?

Pendeen have passed their ground grading and look odds on to win the Fal/Hel League needing 2 more points to be certain then they are in an idea position for promotion if the Combo agrees.

No one is in a position to be promoted from the Mining league.

As the top 3 places are looking likely to be filled by Penryn, Perranwell and Illogan (but probably not in that order) stopping promotion bids of St Day and Helston, this means one of the bottom 2 might be replaced by Pendeen.

Do the Combo clubs say Portreath "struggled all season, not good enough, goodbye" or Portreath " struggled all season but lets give them another season to turn it around"?

Do the Combo clubs say "Ludgvan finished 2nd bottom so in they stay" or "Ludgvan always struggling year on year let's give someone else a chance"?

Or do the Combo clubs say "No promotion this season for anyone"

What do you think they will say?

What would you like the clubs to vote for.

1.Pendeen in, Portreath out.

2.Pendeen in, Ludgvan out.

3.No promotion

Answers below

As Pendeen have passed the ground grading they should be promoted and the bottom club relegated, be it Portreath, Ludgvan, Wendron or Holmans.

Whoever finishes in 19th have not finished bottom and should therefore be allowed to remain. If there were two promotions however, with both teams passing the ground grading then both the bottom teams should go.

I am a keen believer in promotion and relegation, surely it serves to strengthen the league and allow teams to play to their potential, but I don't believe that teams should be promoted if their grounds are not up to scratch.

As an aside, I still think the combo has too many teams. 3 matches in a week, should never happen at this level! Forget the harsh winter, there weren't that many games called off because of it. It's the cup games, replays etc involved in a 20 team league that really do the damage.

In my opinion its time to reduce the number of teams in the league to 16 or 18. Our last game of the season is the 29th May, thats bloody ridiculous, we've still got 10 games left to play.

During the course of the year you can generally guarantee that 4 weeks are going to be written off due to weather conditions. In the combo league there aren't many with flood lights available in order to get many midweek games in.

I agree with Birdy, the league should be reduced in numbers. If we didnt have tonight called off we would be playing 4 games in 6 days, inc extra time and pens from Sunday. This is absolutly ridiculous and needs to addressed. I remember 3 or 4 years ago visiting St Just on May 30th because of fixture congestion and cup runs! This though will probably not happen so back to the original question. Whoever finishes bottom should go down, but why not take the opportunity to reduce numbers now while teams are struggling to raise sides for their clubs, Ludgvan, Holmans, Portreath, Wendron(absolutly no offence intended to any official or player from any of those clubs!!)

Guessing Pendeen facilities have improved from my visit a few years ago, made Goonhavern in December seem like a luxury holiday!!

Gillo, i agree Goonhavern on a windy day was not for the faint hearted.........

I have felt for a long time that the combination league is to big every year its the same with clubs playing catch up at the end of the season, At Perranwell last year we had to play 10 games in 20 days and it looks like they will be doing it again this year. Maybe an earlier start and more midweek games at the start of the season and more use of floodlights (Although this then starts off the debate of teams loading up for mid week games ...) this is supposed to be a senior league but only 5 clubs have lights !! It appears that clubs who have good cup runs end up getting penalised towards the end of the season.

Maybe even start the League Cup in early August and get the rounds out of the way until the semi finals and leave the winter saturdays and early spring saturdays free for league games...

Also I think that any club that wins the league should be made to go up, obvouisly some teams will be unable to because of first teams and also ground restrictions, but if Illogan do win the league they should step up and give it a go, looking at the league this year they would be in a comfotable mid table position, and people will say about the added expense, travelling etc... but shouldn't teams be looking at going as far as they can ? AMBITION yes there is more expense but better crowds balance that out travelling yes but less games balance that out . Look what happened at St Blazey they kept winning the league without going uop and it all became a bit stale.

So top of the league should go up bottom two should go down and that will freshen the league up a bit. Every player that has played for a few years in the combo waits for the fixtures and looks at the good ones and then thinks oh no ********* away, ******** away evreyones got grounds they hate and wished they weren't in the league.... thats why it needs freshning up.

I still go back to the point i made a few years ago about the JCCL and ECPL joining forces and all the reseve sides from the SWPL should go into a reserve league and others should be spread into a cornwall league Premier and division one it would work......

don't agree with the being made to go up bit John!

We're on a peninsula down here, travelling anywhere takes time and money. Mousehole have suffered because of promotion, Wendron certainly have suffered, and Goonhavern!!!!!! it takes a good committee and a good club to get back to a state of competing again.

Portreath had a great Junior side, won the Junior Cup, came up to combo and players have all left, therefore that club could go to ruin! what would happen with St Day if they went up, then the money man pulls out, leaving no 'expenses' for players they left in limbo and could possibly end up disolving as a Senior club.

Ambition is one thing as long as "the club" can sustain it, not some bloke putting in money each week, it needs to be the club that can afford it.

But definitely reduce the amount of teams in the combo league is something of a must.

From memory Duncan any changes to rules or number of teams etc have to be proposed and voted on at the AGM. If at the next AGM it was passed that the numbers should be reduced then this wouldn't take effect until the 2011/2012 season. This could all be complete tosh mind you but I'm sure someone will correct me if it is.

Another thing to consider, especially for us, is cricket!!! Less teams could mean less overlap freeing up players and pitches!

Regarding Pendeens facilities, they're ok, but I doubt they have changed much since you were last there. They've put some hard work in down there lately though tidying the place up and they're refurbishing the bar, but the changing rooms are still small and unwelcoming...

Will make for a nice local derby for us though, even more local for me, about a 30 yard walk to an away match, awesome - expect we'll still get Newquay away on a midweek game though, as we have tonight, again.

From memory Duncan any changes to rules or number of teams etc have to be proposed and voted on at the AGM. If at the next AGM it was passed that the numbers should be reduced then this wouldn't take effect until the 2011/2012 season. This could all be complete tosh mind you but I'm sure someone will correct me if it is.

Another thing to consider, especially for us, is cricket!!! Less teams could mean less overlap freeing up players and pitches!

Regarding Pendeens facilities, they're ok, but I doubt they have changed much since you were last there. They've put some hard work in down there lately though tidying the place up and they're refurbishing the bar, but the changing rooms are still small and unwelcoming...

Will make for a nice local derby for us though, even more local for me, about a 30 yard walk to an away match, awesome - expect we'll still get Newquay away on a midweek game though, as we have tonight, again.

Mike Young the Penryn Secretary proposed at last years AGM to reduce the number of clubs by 2 making an 18 team competition. If that rule would have taken place immediatley with no promotion that season and the bottom 2 clubs to drop out I am sure the member clubs would have voted to say yes!! But....and this is a big BUT! the rule change takes 12 months to implement which meant that the member clubs were then faced with the scenario that if 2 teams were promoted from the junior leagues for the 2009/2010 season a further two sides would be relegated so clubs were facing the prospect of the bottom 4 teams being relegated. Obviously a few teams were a bit reluctant to vote yes at this point not knowing what position they may end up that following season.

As COD says, someone has to propose a rule change to alter the number of clubs in the league. Last year there was a proposal but the clubs voted to keep 20 clubs for season 2010-11.

clubs should be forced to play under floodlights and forget about this fear of clubs packing their teams full of 1st teamers. It hardly happens, too much risk of injury, etc.

Anyway no one has answered my question yet.

What would you like the clubs to vote for.

1.Pendeen in, Portreath out.

2.Pendeen in, Ludgvan out.

3.No promotion

That worries me Birdy, a St Just player using the words "down there"! Didnt think it got much further "down there" than St Just ha ha. Cant wait for those fixtures in December, one week St Just away followed by Pendeen away, got to happen to someone next season!!

That worries me Birdy, a St Just player using the words "down there"! Didnt think it got much further "down there" than St Just ha ha. Cant wait for those fixtures in December, one week St Just away followed by Pendeen away, got to happen to someone next season!!

Ha, I only said it as technically it's downhill from my house. You're right though, St Just is more "down there" than Pendeen. At least those two games are likely to be played, it's rare that a game gets called off for flooding on either pitch!

I did answer you CTB, but not as succintly as you'd like. We don't know who is going to finish 19th or 20th yet! Wouldn't like to do either team mentioned an injustice by saying that they'll finish bottom. As I said though, bottom side out, Pendeen in.

Guest Bundiwilliams

As a desperate Secretary at portreath, its been very difficult this year playing with what is basically a mining 2 side.

In the perfect world i would our club to be given a chance at going at it again next year and be given another chance, not because i just want the club in combo league but because i feel next year with the faces i have coming in we could be a team in the top half of the league, yes we are bottom this year and in any league yo ucome bottom you are out but it doesnt work that way in the Combination league, look at ludgvan given chance after chance for the last 3 years.

would it be unfair on the league to give one team that chance last year, bottom of league had to postpone 3 weeks worth of games to give them a chance, then with portreath come bottom of league once, fulfilled all fixtures havent asked for any games to be moved coz cant field a side, now surely would it be unfair to give one team this treatment of not getting relegated 3 years in a row and not give the same treatment to another club???

i am all up for relagation and promotion everyone should have a shot at higher standard so what ever happens i know i can safely say it was the right decision.

see what the future holds x

Bundi, it's to your credit that you have fulfilled every fixture despite the results.

Since the turn of the century, the bottom teams have been as follows:

1999/2000 - Ludgvan

00/01 - Mousehole

01/02 - Wendron

02/03 - Ludgvan

03/04 - Marazion - Relegated

04/05 - Porthleven Reserves - Relegated

05/06 - Goonhavern Reserves - Relegated

06/07 - Truro Reserves

07/08 - Penzance Reserves

08/09 - Ludgvan

I'm deffo a fan on the 1/2 up 1/2 down because of league position at the end of the season. Rightly said, Ludgvan/Wendron have been given lifelines each year.. Maybe it would be fair for Portreath to get the same treatment, but then maybe it wouldnt be fair as Ludgvan/Wendron have actually done ok by not sitting on bottom spot!

Its a tricky one as there are so many rumours going around, I dont think anyone is actually sure what's gonna happen until its decided officially.

Personally, Id like to see Portreath stay in for next season, not only because of the past history of the club and how far they came and the records they broke getting into Combo last season, but also because after all the stick they've received etc, they've kept going without moaning. Theyve managed to field a team every week, but unfortunately, they just didnt have enough time to get players in after the previous manager left last season. Then obviously, once the results started going against Port, no-one was interested in going there!

On that note, I also agree the combo league needs to have less teams involved! For a senior league, I think that it is just a bit much!

My opinions voiced :)

Personally I'd say Pendeen in. They have a decent ground, facilties, clubhouse, ample parking. And... Ludgvan out as they have been near the bottom for several seasons now and could possibly do better in a junior league with possible future re-promotion back into the combo. They have a good set up, good facilties (from a spectators point of view).

Pendeen up, Ludgvan down. ^_^

[These are my personal views]

The Regulations concerning relegation form part of the Combination League Rules and are agreed with Fal/Helston & Mining Leagues. Basically, if 1 team is eligible for promotion (acceptable facilities and a top-three finish in their respective League) then the team finishing bottom of the Combo WILL be relegated. If there are 2 teams eligible for promotion, then the bottom 2 teams in the Combo WILL be relegated. There is no discussion or vote on the matters, the rules have to be followed! In addition, under current Combo Rules, there is no provision for relegating more than 2 teams and I'm not sure it would ever be possible to do so. The only ways to reduce the number would be if a side voluntarily withdrew their membership of the League or a team was promoted to a higher League (SWPL) and there was no team eligible for promotion from a Junior League.

Unfortunately, Forum members agreement or disagreement with the above will have no influence upon the outcomes this season - the League has to apply the Rules as they currently stand.

Fixture problems throughout the County would benefit if all Cup Competitions were decided "on the day" and replays became a thing of the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Pendeen up. Bottom side down.

Pendeen Up, bottom side down with the current rules. I agree the league should be reduced to 18, however the clubs need to know in advance how this is to be achived and agreed at the AGM. I don't want to see more than two clubs relegated each season. One way would be relegate the bottom two clubs each season, irrespective of promotion from Fal/Hel, Mining or to up SWP. This would stay in force until the league reaches 18 clubs.

Scenarios could include

- Two junior clubs promoted, two relegated from Combo = league remains at 20

- One junior club promoted, two relegated from Combo = league of 19

- One junior club promoted, one promoted to SWP, two relegated from Combo = league of 18

- No junior clubs eligible for promotion, one club promoted to SWP, one relegated from Combo (second bottom club repreived) = league of 18