Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday County Cup Final - St Blazey v Tremough

With the Sunday County Cup final taking place this weekend at St Dennis i was wondering what the general opinion was on the two teams in the final and predictions on who the winners will be.

Not knowing the Tremough side i would be interested to know if any of the players also play on a saturday and if so, for who?

St Blazey is generally made up of Duchy League players from Tywardreath (Duchy 1), Lostwithiel (Duchy 2), Biscovey (Duchy 3) and St Austell (Duchy 3) with a couple who only play Sundays.

Should be a cracking final in prospect!

With the Sunday County Cup final taking place this weekend at St Dennis i was wondering what the general opinion was on the two teams in the final and predictions on who the winners will be.

Not knowing the Tremough side i would be interested to know if any of the players also play on a saturday and if so, for who?

St Blazey is generally made up of Duchy League players from Tywardreath (Duchy 1), Lostwithiel (Duchy 2), Biscovey (Duchy 3) and St Austell (Duchy 3) with a couple who only play Sundays.

For anyone interested enough to come back to Blaise Park afterwards, there is live music from about 4.00pm with local band Shameless.

Played Tremough quite a few times over the last few seasons and gotta say they're the best footballing side in our Sunday league. They're all young lads from the college, so full of pace and movement and play some lovely stuff. If they could only avoid getting bullied out of games by Truro GWRSA they'd clean up every season! Dunno how much the team's changed this season as they've obviously got a large pool of players to pick from and not sure how many play Saturdays. Would definitely say most of them could probably play top level of junior football and maybe higher. Know nothing of Blazey but if they play decent football it really will be a quality final.

Playing in the rival university team to Tremough and seen them play a few times this year I can say they are a good side and definitely the best in there league and if they were to make the move to Saturday football they would do well. They are a very pacey side on the wings and have a good bite in the middle of the park. I know some of the players are currently playing for Falmouth Towns 3rd team whilst others play for Wendrons junior sides and Falmouth Athletic. The only weakness I can see is if there regular keeper does not play as their replacement is very suspect and from what I have been told was one of the major reasons for their loss at the weekend to Truro.

St Blazey's left back is a right clogger with no pace!

Thanks Dave. I'm having to do the Sheringham thing nowadays and compensate for my lack of pace with my football brain, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be working either.

Worse thing is that were playing top of the league on the Saturday so i'm a bit worried i'll be knackered from the exertions in that game!

All part of getting old i suppose.....you'd know all about that old man!! If selected, i'll probably be marking some whipper snapper half my age :wacko:

St. Blazey 2 Tremough 1

Tough game for the students against a very strong, quite physical St Blazey side.

Tremough certainly weren't over-awed and had a great crack at the game. The first half was pretty even, with St Blazey looking a bit stronger.

A diagonal ball in to the goal area, just met first by the Blazey forward was glanced into the net at 35 minutes.

A few minutes before half time, the ref awarded a penalty. It was particularly cruel for Tremough. The ball bounced up sharply and hit the defender's arm, right on the edge of the box, with no real danger. 2 - 0 at half time.

Second half, Tremough looked much more threatening and seemed to deal with the Blazey attacks quite comfortably, without creating too much themselves.

As the half wore off the students looked more and more threatening causing the Blazey keeper to some good saves but no reward of a goal.

Eventually, with 5 minutes to go, Tremough pulled one back with a well placed shot into the top right-hand corner. Sadly too late. Blazey played the clock down with Tremough making little further impact.

Well done St Blazey. The cup stays to the East, but Tremough were a credit to the West Cornwall League.

Very enjoyable game today and based on what I saw the result was about right (I missed the first 20 mins or so).

Anyhow here are some clips...

Blazeys first goal.

2-0 from the spot - I thought it was a bit harsh but the lino flagged for it.

Tremough hit a great goal but just a bit too late as they had been clawing their way back.

The last minute of the game including a great last ditch clearance from the Tremough defender.

Medal presentations.

Well played to both teams and the officials on the day.

Not an epic final but i believe we were the better side overall, although credit to Tremough for having a real good go towards the end of the second half.

I think we felt we really should have been 4-0 up at half time given those two one on one's we missed. Keeper did his job to be fair.

Absolute wonder goal as a consolation for Tremough's second half efforts! We seemed to lose our way in the 2nd half and Tremough had the better of it.

Great day all round with United winning as well!