Cornwall Football Forum

How do we stop the cheating?

Guest Flintstone

Guest Flintstone

If you are playing a team who have a 'first' team in 'senior' football, how do you check to see if they have not brought in 'ringers' to strengthen the side? If you don't know the players and don't know the names of the players who play on the day, it seems pretty impossible to make any enquiries about how legitimate they are.

I wonder if having a copy of each others team sheet, on the day, would be a start?

Guest Skippy8

In our team(Torpoint) we have helped out our 2nd team with one of our keepers for a couple of games due to our Swpl teams keeper being injured and the Ecpl keeper has stepped up to help them. Would you count that as cheating when he returns to us???

As long as they have not played 5 or more senior games there fine.

And to be honest when people bring in ringers it never works- no passion!!!

Guest Flintstone

No, that is not cheating, and it is what 1st 2nd and 3rd teams should be all about.

I don't think all teams consider the 5 game rule, and there does not seem to be any

way of checking if the five game rule is adhered to.

yer but arent there ways around the 5 game rule? cant you re-instate a player that has played more than 5 senior games? skippy 8 is right usually players stepping down a level to play a game dont play well cos they dont care about the team and they are used to more time on the ball & better pitches!

In Sunday League games the teams sign each others team sheets; and they can ask players to sign their name to check it against their registration... maybe all leagues could adopt this system.

There are some ways round this:

1. Make it one signature, one club. So that players cant go and play for another side in a different league when their team don't have a game.

2. Have a third copy of the team sheets that goes to the opposition after the game.

3. Photo ID's could be possible; although a lot of admin & extra cost maybe?

4. Have it that once a player has played say 5 senior games he can't then play for a junior side for a month, I believe the Sunday League already has this rule in order to stop teams reinstating a player for just a one-off game.

Guest Flintstone

Sounds like a copy of the team sheet going to the opposing team would be a good start then!

That would root out the referees that would sign a blank sheet at the same time.

I've been trying to get it to become "normal" in the Sunday League (West) for teams to ask three opposition players to sign against their name on the teamsheet. There's a space for that purpose.

If there's a signature there, then it's easy to check against regn. forms.

If there's an obvious "ringer", teams have done that.

Problem is some club secretaries may discover that cutting corners and signing on players themselves, may cause a few problems!

I'm all for "one senior game, no junior football for a month". Easy to understand and check.

The CCFA senior player rule has never been workable. Easy to collect £6 and a job for someone, but not effective. Player can play at SWPL level, on Saturday and, after paying his £6, legitimately play against the lowliest Sunday Club in the Sunday Cup, the very next day. Nonsense.

In the 21st Century I think you should have to email player registrations with a photograph of the player. The league/ccfa can then issue one laminated A4 size player registration document with the players photo's on it which has to be produced to the opposition before the start of the match. This would stop anyone playing with anothers name or the "Ben Andros" situations/disputes. Its been going on for years in youth football and is not expensive.

Re-registering is difficult because its fine for example if a young player is mainly FHL/Junior but plays a few combo/senior games and then needs to be re-registered. But I have seen a SWL Prem player playing for a different FHL club 25 odd miles away on a spare Saturday this year. Crazy, but not sure how to stop it unless they introduce a rule that having been made a junior player again you cannot play senior football for 14 days?

Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about when jnr teams have snr players come in for games as long as they are at the same club. Having played against these teams for years we all knew playing the likes of St Ives and St Just etc when their 1st teams had no game would be a tougher game , great bring it on. In the long run these jnr teams fared no better as it causes all sorts of problems with team spirit , youngsters get cheesed off suddenly having to make way for some Bobby Dazzler one game hero. :blink:

TO CHEAT or NOT TO CHEAT .

We played Robartes 3 weeks ago and won 1 0 , the following week I have 5 of the starting 11 unavailable due to weddings work injury and sickness . One of our players turns up and knowing we're short brings a mate along who has just fallen out with his senior team and is looking for a game , he hasn't signed for any junior team so i called our chairman to check if he can sign and play. The answer was no . Now we are bare bones playing TMS who are going well do I play this lad under a different name ? No because that is cheating we had to say thanks but no thanks. We got on with it with our patched up side and won 2 0 , had to finish the game with 10 men due to another injury but the lads that came in stepped up to the mark and played a blinder . :clapper:

We played Goonhaven earlier in the season and drew 2 2 , played very well and should of won the game comfortably . Thank god we didn't as we've had that point taken off us . Imagine the embarrassment when I had to break it to the boys that worked so hard that day that I had accidentally mixed two of their names up . David Honest and John Mistake who have been on everyone of our team sheets all season were accidentally written down as David Mistake and John Honest , gutted ! :(

Cheats will always be in the game we've played against so many teams this season with 12th man lino's and teams who scream and swear at refs all game and get decisions as a result of it , we have had players tapped and lured away to play under false names whilst still signed for us , all this in my first season in management should we join them when we see them getting away with it when its costing us points by not doing it ? My view is no it's bulls**t they are cheating and their achievements count for f**k all. :SM_carton:

Guest PUAFC Gaffer

I cant see any problem with playing senior squad players, its happened to us, even in the past week, BUT it makes it much better when you take the points, and if you dont, hey ho. just enjoy the football, and its getting towards the time of the season where this starts to increase (midweek games etc) So try to play your games when there supposed to be played..Also what about players coming back from injury,isnt that what 2nd/3rd teams are for, maybe im just too trusting.

On the subject of "ringers" which is where this topic seems to be going. I wouldnt play one for the reason that they WOULDNT be insured. Something that players should think about, if you get injures whos gonna pay your mortgage?

As manager of Bere Alston Reserves if people abide by the rules it is not easy to just play the so called 'ringers', I have had 2 senior players play for us and were re-instated in the correct manner and these players were moved down to gain some pitch time after spending a bit of time on the bench.

When we 1st team play players they have to be re-instated and this takes aproximately 1 week to go through and costs about 8 pound i think, so with the first team having games the only opportunity to call in ringers would be due to game cancellations, thus not leaving enough time to put through any re-instatement forms. It is when players are playing under incorrect names that this becomes cheating.

It should also be known that you may only re-instate a player a certain amount of times a season (i think its 3) so this stops team hopping but alowes for players moving up or down to cover injury or lack of first team opportunities. If a team as a whole is run well then this system works very effectively alowing players to move between teams without first teams taking over 2nd team games when their matches are called off.

This is just my opinion.

As Charlestown Saints FC Manager, i must say on MANY occasions this season ive been convinced/suspicious of certain teams fielding certain players against us.

As i have little or no faith in any of the authority over Cornish Football i simply keep my mouth shut and look to beat whatever is in front of me and my team. If teams want to field illegal players, then that shows their desperation to win without looking to raise their own quality. Wheres the pride gone from people these days?!

From our clubs point of view, i was asked by a former player of ours to field a certain lad in a game for us (even when we only had 12). By the end of the day, neither player was seen again, but im sure they still have a sized 12 boot up their arses.

As Charlestown Saints FC Manager, i must say on MANY occasions this season ive been convinced/suspicious of certain teams fielding certain players against us.

As i have little or no faith in any of the authority over Cornish Football i simply keep my mouth shut and look to beat whatever is in front of me and my team. If teams want to field illegal players, then that shows their desperation to win without looking to raise their own quality. Wheres the pride gone from people these days?!

From our clubs point of view, i was asked by a former player of ours to field a certain lad in a game for us (even when we only had 12). By the end of the day, neither player was seen again, but im sure they still have a sized 12 boot up their arses.

Very commendable words my friend but like you too many have kept quiet with their suspicions, maybe this is why things have got so bad. Time to go with our gut feelings, challenge and report. If everyone reports the cheats authorities must penalise them

Very commendable words my friend but like you too many have kept quiet with their suspicions, maybe this is why things have got so bad. Time to go with our gut feelings, challenge and report. If everyone reports the cheats authorities must penalise them

Or refuse to play against them and then explain your action.

I believe that

1) A player can sign for only one club at a time and if a player wants to play for aother club the he must get a transfer. Players can only transfer 3 times in one season - this would prevent all the "guest" players turning out for important league games etc

2) Identity cards for all players (inclusive of a passport type picture) - no card - no game - these can be presented by the manager or nominated official of a club on matchdays for viewing by the referee - and can be matched with 3.

3) All leagues to have triplicate books - teams, including subs and nominated linesman to be filled in before the game. - One copy for the referee, one copy for the opposing team, and one retained to be sent in to the league after the game. with subs used marked on the form

4) Oldasitgets - the one game scenario is fine except- what about all the senior clubs with teams in junior leagues - I will use Helston as an example as I do not know any one there. A young player plays well in the FHL side - or come to that an Oldasitgets player - gets a chance to play in the 1st team combo side - plays one game - has a stinker- cant go back to the FHL side for a month - so sits on the bench for the first team - but hey - cant play for them cos if he does he cant play for the FHL side for a month from when he plays for the senior side. This would destroy any unity in a club as the 1st team and 2nd teams would have to operate as separate units as players in the second team would refuse to play for the first team as it may pan out they dont get to play for a month - so much for crating a one club atmosphere. There are other scenarios as well such as returning from injury - transfers - loss of form etc

The present rules are fine - each player can only be re-instated 3 times in one season.

I believe it costs £8 and a letter to the CCFA stating club involved and why they wish to get re-instated.

They are not classified as a Junior player until they have played 5 junior games and have not played more than 3 senior games since the reinstatement date. This is to prevent sides from playing more than the specified number of re-instated senior players in one game according to the CCFA rules and any relevant League rules.

I am not sure but I think that the CCFA then supplies the names and clubs of those reinstated to the junior league secretaries - if they dont then it is very poor admiministration. SO - IF the 1,2 and 3 above were in place then it would be very difficult for sides to bring in ringers

Sorry I could go on for hours - but am afraid most of the people who started reading this have fallen asleep by now so will stop boring you now

Or refuse to play against them and then explain your action.

Garf, some people would agree with you, but i lead a team to play football on a saturday... I couldnt give a rats arse if Little Jimmy's older brother Cedric is signed on for some Belgian/ Cornish/ Hindi team. Him and the other members of the squad we face are their to be beaten.

I would never turn my team away from a match unless it was exceptional circumstances, that indangered my players.

I wouldnt waste my busy life on whinging to our FA or league. They do enough of that themselves.