Cornwall Football Forum

Guernsey FC look to join an English League

Guernsey F.C. of the Channel Islands are seeking to join an English League.

The agenda is back on the table with the GFA after previous talks with the Kent League broke down.

According to GFA chairman Mark Le Tissier,Ideally they would like to start next season but with a tight time factor they fear it may have to be held over.

Looking at their location with airports Newquay,Plymouth and Exeter I am sure the CSWPL must be a consideration.

What a mouthwatering proposition for the travelling Blazey boys Dan and Paul.

The agenda is back on the table with the GFA after previous talks with the Kent League broke down.

According to GFA chairman Mark Le Tissier,Ideally they would like to start next season but with a tight time factor they fear it may have to be held over.

Looking at their location with airports Newquay,Plymouth and Exeter I am sure the CSWPL must be a consideration.

Why would such a club jump the queue and go straight into the Prem ?, Perhaps clubs such as Mousehole, Vospers, Foxhole, Plymstock and Godolphin etc; might like a January midweek overseas away trip. Fog cancelling flights, just can't see any of the FAs concerned handing out funds to clubs for a weekend away.

Bring it on! I would be well up for it finances permitting.

They should be allowed to join an English league, after all the Channel Islands are part of Britain. Travel would have to brought into consideration but if they can afford to cross the channel regularly to play away, why not?

They aren't part of Britain, they are a British Crown Dependancy. They're actually closer to bloody France than England.

When teams from Jersey were in the Devon Premier Cup, it was a disaster. Problems with kick off times along side flight times, flights booked and matches off. The pitches are the problem, as you all know in the winter, they can go out overnight, causing massive problems. Travel to away games is equally a problem, Jersey used to pay for the squad to fly but any others at their owm expense, not many travelled. With finance of clubs in serious problems I would have thought this is the last thing we wanted. :SM_carton:

They should be allowed to join an English league, after all the Channel Islands are part of Britain. Travel would have to brought into consideration but if they can afford to cross the channel regularly to play away, why not?

They aren't part of Britain, they are a British Crown Dependancy. They're actually closer to bloody France than England.

Whats the difference? If you are from Guernsey or any other Channel Island you are British, regardless of which country you are geographically closer to!

For 36 years the Naval Air Command select side have played versus the Guernsey State side for the Malaya Cup in Guernsey. I have taken the squad over for the last few years and this has been on the cards for a while as there was a split between the Guernsy FA and the management of the state side who felt it would be more beneficial to form a Guernsey F.C. rather than compete in the South West Counties or South East Counties Leagues. Mark Le Tissier will only do what is in the best interests of Guernsey Football I am sure. We are hoping to host them here this year which most likely be played at RNAS Yeovilton, it may however be played within Cornwall.