Cornwall Football Forum

Senior Cup Semi Final - Camelford v Illogan RBL

Guest Uncle Albert

Skipper Dan Balsdon scored Camelford's winner in second minute of time added on after a free kick was deflected into his path. Illogan's Ben Widdershoven was sent off for a second yellow which led to the free kick.

Congratulations to Camelford for reaching their first ever Senior Cup final. But Illogan can consider themselves unlucky. Great support for them in a large crowd.

Paul Menhinick scored Camelford's penalty, a minute after Simon Ellis had given Illogan a 52nd minute lead, also from the spot.

Poor organisation from the Cornwall FA. A very poor programme, and no announcements at all during the game to the supporters - apart from one at half time (by a Wadebridge official) announcing the lucky draw winning numbers. Don't the Cornwall FA think a crowd of more than 300 would be interested to know what the team line-ups are, and who scored the goals, etc etc?

It really is time the Cornwall FA dragged itself into the modern world.

Totally agree with you mate - but can't see it happening anytime soon can you ? as for the game a good second half after a dire first period and yes Illogan probably were unlucky and having beaten both Saltash and St.Blazey to get this far wii be very disappointed in not getting to the show piece final on Easter Monday.

can imagine that it wasnt a great game to watch, was probably slightly better 2nd half, surface wasnt great, neither team really gave the other time to play, guess you could say that it was a typical cup tie really with neither team wanting to make any mistakes,

thankfully we nicked it at the end, absolutely delighted for everyone at the club, there are so many people who work so hard who dont get the recognition they deserve so hopefully this goes someway to repaying them.

will say that illogan were an absolute credit to the club, fans were fantastic, plenty of banter but then showed great touch at the end by staying and clapping both sets of players off the pitch, players all shook hands and wished us good luck in the final, they were obviously gutted but were very gracious so full credit to them, looking forward to bodmin in the final now!!

Everyone was gutted after losing in the semi final last night and being so close to the final.

First 20 mins it was all camelford with a lot of nerves on display for Illogan but once everyone settled down and started to try and play a bit of football on a tricky surface and I felt over the 90 we were certainly the better side and should have won it.

For Ben to have been sent off for 2 x yellow cards was a disgrace especially when the 1st yellow was given for him making a great tackle and nothing more. Ref had a very poor game and I will say nothing more.

No.10 for Camelford looked a class act up front but didn't think they had much else which troubled the lads. Jason Roberts for Illogan was Man of the Match in my opinion another solid performance in the back.

All the best to Camelford in the final.

Funny note: After the game some stranger wondered into our changing and started to congratulate us and talking to our manager then the clown suddenly realised he was in the wrong changing room and was stood there in his Camelford coat, MUPPET!!! Probably their chairman shame he didnt hand out a few envelopes before he realised.

Everyone was gutted after losing in the semi final last night and being so close to the final.

First 20 mins it was all camelford with a lot of nerves on display for Illogan but once everyone settled down and started to try and play a bit of football on a tricky surface and I felt over the 90 we were certainly the better side and should have won it.

For Ben to have been sent off for 2 x yellow cards was a disgrace especially when the 1st yellow was given for him making a great tackle and nothing more. Ref had a very poor game and I will say nothing more.

No.10 for Camelford looked a class act up front but didn't think they had much else which troubled the lads. Jason Roberts for Illogan was Man of the Match in my opinion another solid performance in the back.

All the best to Camelford in the final.

Funny note: After the game some stranger wondered into our changing and started to congratulate us and talking to our manager then the clown suddenly realised he was in the wrong changing room and was stood there in his Camelford coat, MUPPET!!! Probably their chairman shame he didnt hand out a few envelopes before he realised.

Just like to thank all the cracking support who came with illogan,i know steve and the squad was very thankful.

​Camelford 2, Illogan RBL 1

SKIPPER Dan Balsdon fired an injury time winner to send Camelford into the first Cornwall Senior Cup final in their history at Bodieve Park, Wadebridge, on Thursday night.

Reg Hambly's Carlsberg South West Peninsula League division one west side now face premier division champions Bodmin at Truro on Easter Monday, April 5.

Balsdon got on the end of a deflected Paul Menhinick free kick to direct a left foot shot past Illogan goalkeeper Barrie John Wyatt as a pulsating semi-final moved into its second minute of time added on.

The free kick had been awarded for a foul on Mark Gusterson by Illogan defender Ben Widdershoven, who was sent off for his second yellow card offence.

Balsdon's goal sparked wild celebrations among the Camels players and supporters, but it was harsh of Jolly's Cornwall Combination side Illogan, who matched them in all areas of the pitch in an end to end second half.

A goalless first half offered little hint of the drama to come. Camelford started strongly but Illogan had the two best chances, with Phil Willey and Luke Abbott Smith coming close.

The second half burst into action in the 52nd minute when referee Mark Philpott spotted a push by Adam Sleep on Danny Williams and awarded a penalty, which Simon Ellis smashed home to the delight of a noisy Illogan contingent in a crowd of more than 300.

But they were silenced within a minute as Camelford swept upfield from the restart and Mr Philpott had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot as Gusterson went down under a challenge from Matt Callaway.

Paul Menhinick stepped up to fire his left foot spot kick past Illogan keeper Wyatt and the scene was set for a tremendous last 35 minutes with both sides fully committed to pushing for the victory.

Camels fans thought Gusterson had scored with a looping close range header five minutes from time but his effort had landed on the top of the net, and Illogan breathed again . . . if only for a few minutes more.

Illogan's supporters, who occupied the grandstand, gave their players a standing ovation as they left the pitch at the end, and jeered at the referee, who they seemed to think had cost them the game.

Camelford: J Colwill, D Cann, A Young, M Haynes, D Balsdon ©, P Banks, S Parkyn, A Sleep, P Menhinick, M Gusterson, C Palin.

Illogan RBL: B J Wyatt, B Widdershoven, A Clarke ©, S Ellis, J Roberts, C Williams, L Abbott Smith, D Williams, P Willey, M Callaway, G Sturmey.

Referee: Mark Philpott (Falmouth).

TAKEN FROM THIS IS CORNWALL WEBSITE.

Is there an offical attendance for this game cause I thought there were far more than 300 there!! Also as a neutral I thought the ref had a decent game!! Also nice to see BOTH 'Keepers wearing Onesport gloves!!

Good luck to Camelford for the final.

Went to the game not really knowing what to expect from illogan, although them beating saltash and blazey seemed to suggest they were a good side. have to say i was a little suprised at their lack of quality although they made up for this by being very physical and direct!

felt that camelford edged the game as they matched the more physical opponents for most of the game on a very tricky pitch.

spoke to numerous supporters from the shed end and they all felt illogan shouldnt have had a penalty and neither side looked like scoring a shed load due to the conditions and nature of the game!

I CAN ASURE YOU WE DO HAVE MORE QUALITY THAN THAT.AND YES WE ARE DISAPOINTED WITH THE WAY WE PLAYED.WE HAVE DEFO PLAYED BETTER.THE PITCH WAS VERY HARD AND BUMPY AND I DONT THINK EITHER SIDE SHOWED MUCH SIGNS OF QUALITY ON THE NIGHT.SEMI FINALS ARE ABOUT WINNING NOT PERFORMANCE.GOOD LUCK TO CAMELFORD ON EASTER MONDAY. :c:

Guest Savageeee

I think it is harsh that frosty ferrett has been branded as a 'muppet', especially after the antics that were undertaken during the warm up by the Illogan players pre match. Having watched from the side lines, I certainly thought I had turned up at a pantomime rather than a football match!

However, not a pretty game to watch let alone the warm up, but at least both teams put in full effort in front of a large crowd. The surface seemed bobbly which was proven after witnessing some of the odd bounces that the ball took throughout the course of the match. So players for either team cannot be blamed for that!

Illogan played well and will feel hard done by after they would have felt that they performed just as well as Camelford, but Camelford did well to keep going for the full 90 minutes, or should I say 93 because thats when they scored the winner!

Congratulations and good luck to Camelford in the final!

Guest Savageeee

I never once said that you didn't deserve to beat Saltash or St Blazey. I would imagine that you would have had to play very well against both of those teams and it's a credit to you that your team beat them. I have also never said that there is anything wrong with your performance on the pitch. I was just stating that there seemed to be some odd behaviour during the warm up or what I saw of it. I am not looking for an argument, only curious about what I saw.

Anyway thanks for the offer, but I think I will give the Punch and Judy show a miss!

ISNT IT FUNNY THAT WHEN YOU WIN NO-ONE MENTIONS THE WARM UP?

IF YOU REALY WANT TO TALK ABOUT PREPERATION ,HOW ABOUT ILLOGANS 50 MIN COACH TRIP AND CAMELFORDS 5 MINS IN THE CAR. IF THE WARM UP WAS A PANTOMINE,THE NAUTRAL GROUND WAS FROM MONTY PYTHON.

ANYWAY MUST BE OFF GOT TO MAKE SOME COSTUMES FOR SUNDAYS WARM UP.