Cornwall Football Forum

League scrap bans against fracas pair

"Cornish footballers Ben Douglas and Lee Whetter's bans from playing in the Carlsberg SWPL until the end of next season have been rescinded by the league's board.

The pair were involved in off the field incidents which made national news in their Division One West game at home to Newquay in October."

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/sport/League-scrap-bans-fracas-pair/article-1892022-detail/article.html

Their to good not to have in your side. What they've done is in the past,they've served there ban and want to just forget about it, there both top lads and just want to get back playing again. Lets just keep off their backs and let them both do what their good at. Fortunalty we've been able to have them for the rest of the season and I'm sure we wouldn't have been the only club that would want them in there side once their ban was up. Wish every1 could just respect the SWPL decision and let them get on with it.

Their to good not to have in your side. What they've done is in the past,they've served there ban and want to just forget about it, there both top lads and just want to get back playing again. Lets just keep off their backs and let them both do what their good at. Fortunalty we've been able to have them for the rest of the season and I'm sure we wouldn't have been the only club that would want them in there side once their ban was up. Wish every1 could just respect the SWPL decision and let them get on with it.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture here, they did something wrong, a moment of madness if you like, I think its fairly obvious that they would have learned from this, if they havent learned from this then that will become apparent and the relevant punishment metted out.

I am sure everyone reading this has made a mistake or 2 in their lives and have been forgiven and given an opportunity to redeem themselves, I think a lot of the comments I have seen on this are from people who like to take the moral highground, if it was your son or brother or someone you know well you would have a different opinion, as for St Dennis giving them the opportunity to play football, of course, I know of 5 othe ECPL teams who approached them to play and haven spoke to Lee today he has said that he knew this was likely to happen and some SWPL clubs knew this also and said that if the outcome was positive they would love to have him, furthermore he committed himself to the rest of this season at least to St Dennis, so that says something to his character, he could easily go and get paid to play now that he is free to play!

As for slagging off St Dennis for giving them the chance to play, do you want me to post everytime some other club approaches Lee and Ben to play so you can have a pop at them as well, let thee that is without sin................

Gas

" He's committed himself to St Dennis for the rest of the season " Wow what a selfless & community spirited act

Two months left - guaranteed medals - Then off somewhere else in the Summer

If you boys at St Dennis want the league so desperately I hope you get it - But i'm sure I'm not the only person on here who's estimation of St Dennis FC has just dropped a few degrees

Well u guys who think that,should get over it. Were a club who have done well there 1st season back in east Cornwall football,and yes we do want the league that badly and will do everything to grab promotion and get were we want to be in the next 3 seasons or so. We want to move forward as a club and like I said will do anything to achieve that. Sorry if some of you on here can't respect that.

As someone who was there I am now more towards the inclination that we should let it die. The decisions have been made and hopefully lessons learnt by all involved.

However should any incidents happen in the future then the punishments should be just about as severe as can be. Just for the record I have always felt that Ben Douglas wasnt as involved in all this as has been made out.

Just for the record I have always felt that Ben Douglas wasnt as involved in all this as has been made out.

Try asking Ben himself how involved he was... :unsure:

Well of course its possible I could be wrong I would never deny that, it was a bit crowded in there on the day.

Maybe now a line can be drawn under the whole incident, Newquay got what they wanted from their appeal, now the players are reinstated, it is possible some of the evidence was tainted but the good thing is it is yesterdays news Cornish football can now continue to do what it does best play football.

Chuffed to bits for Ben as most people seem to think he was not the second person from St Austell involved, something one insider let slip to me recently. Lee knows he did wrong and has taken his punishment, now let him get on and enjoy his football.

I'm not too sure that the SWPL are happy that they have been 'over-ruled' as they were most unimpressed with the Leagues name being dragged through the mud.

Will St Austell be able ton re-sign either player ? they have a few midweek games to be played before the seasons end, assuming the players stick with St Dennis for the duration.

'over-ruled'

Or was it because of a technicality - on the grounds that the FA advised they should have been charged again by the league? :ninja:

The F.A. are big on "double jeopardy". Once the F.A. had punished the pair, then the League aren't allowed to punish them further for the same offence. When the League ban was announced, I was surprised when it said that the additional punishment had been approved by the F.A.

The League can only charge them with an offence against their competition (League)rules. The F.A. have to deal with other offences. If the CCFA thought it warranted a two year ban, that's what they should have given. Anything else means that they can play in another competition - which, from this season's standard set of Rules, can't ban them - they must ask the CCFA to place the ban for them.

couldn't give a toss what St.Dennis do, good luck to them. However, it's an absolute embarrassment they are allowed to play again this season. Players could get suspended longer for swearing. A few months for jumping in to the crowd. Absolutely no balls. That's the F.A., The league, and the players. Sad.

just a couple things annoy me about this. we all remember cantona and the fan he attacked and deservedly got severly punished and come back clean. the league the players couple months and their back. secondly the footballer in wales was banned for 2 years i think 4 verbals but didnt lay a finger on no one. now surely the cornwall a football county rep of england should at least of taken the same decision. in my opinion 1 time is 2 many. where has judge gone maybe he can comment

just a couple things annoy me about this. we all remember cantona and the fan he attacked and deservedly got severly punished and come back clean. the league the players couple months and their back. secondly the footballer in wales was banned for 2 years i think 4 verbals but didnt lay a finger on no one. now surely the cornwall a football county rep of england should at least of taken the same decision. in my opinion 1 time is 2 many. where has judge gone maybe he can comment

the Judge is now thought to be posting under the name 'Nemesis'.

Guest leemccheese

just like to say thanks 4 all the good comments about my return,i would of took what was givin to me i said that from the start,but its all over with now and just happy to be back playing,people who no me know when i play i 110 percent,just hope i can prove all the people wrong who think that im after medals or money.or whatever they think im after,just wanna help st dennis win the league and they still have 13 games left,i have learnt my lesson and if i had another 5 months out i would go mad,so who ever trys winding me up on and off the pitch will get be laughed at NO MORE SILLY REACTIONS