Cornwall Football Forum

Clyst Rovers

Clyst have withdrawn from the SWPL with immediate effect. Official Statement on the SWPL Site

That is a real shame!!!

I played at Clyst Rovers for the majority of last season and loved it!!!!

DOES THIS MEAN AN EXTRA TEAM WILL BE PROMOTED FROM THE SWPL WEST OR EAST DIVISION???? :clapper:

Doing a quick look-see Tavistock will be the biggest losers having beaten them twice whilst most clubs have only played them once.

I may be wrong but a quick workout makes the league look like this

Buckland Plyd 21 - 48pts

Bodmin 21-46

Famouth 21-44

Penzance 23-41

Torpoint 24-41

St Blazey 22-39

Tavistock 20-37

Parkway 19-36

after originally looking like this

BUCKLAND ATHLETIC22-51

BODMIN TOWN 22-49

FALMOUTH TOWN 22-45

TAVISTOCK 22-43

ST.BLAZEY 23-42

PENZANCE 24-41

TORPOINT ATHLETIC25-41

PLYMOUTH PARKWAY19-39

Clyst have withdrawn from the SWPL with immediate effect. Official Statement on the SWPL Site

That is a real shame!!!

I played at Clyst Rovers for the majority of last season and loved it!!!!

DOES THIS MEAN AN EXTRA TEAM WILL BE PROMOTED FROM THE SWPL WEST OR EAST DIVISION???? :clapper:

Probably one down, two up I would think. Can't see any way 2 sides would come up from SWPL West with the league running at just 16 teams.

Gutting from a St Blazey point of view as we got a hard fought victory at their place earlier this season and were looking forward to a rapturous reception for the return of Sir Bobby in a couple of weeks.

Still, life goes on, and let's hope this is good for Clyst in the long run.

REVISED PREMIER DIVISION TABLE AFTER CLYST ROVERS WITHDRAWAL

Team Pl Wo Dr Lo Gf Ga Dif Pts Position before change Points lost out on!

1 Buckland 21 15 3 3 67 28 39 48 1 -3

2 Bodmin 21 15 1 5 59 25 34 46 2 -3

3 Falmouth 21 14 2 5 39 22 17 44 3 -1

4 Penzance 23 12 5 6 45 33 12 41 6 0

5 Torpoint 24 11 8 5 42 40 2 41 7 0

6 St Blazey 22 12 3 7 50 33 17 39 5 -3

7 Tavistock 20 12 1 7 40 32 8 37 4 -6

8 Parkway 18 11 3 4 50 26 24 36 8 -3

9 Ivybridge 26 10 6 10 49 52 -3 36 9 0

10 Witheridge 19 9 4 6 47 32 15 31 10 0

11 Saltash 21 8 6 7 36 29 7 30 11 0

12 Elburton 23 6 8 9 39 48 -9 26 12 -4

13 Dartmouth 22 6 2 14 33 51 -18 20 13 -6

14 Bovey 22 5 5 12 39 59 -20 20 14 -3

15 Launceston 18 5 3 10 29 37 -8 18 15 -3

16 Cullompton 19 5 2 12 28 47 -19 17 18 0

17 Liskeard 20 3 5 12 29 52 -23 14 16 -6

18 Wadebridge 21 3 3 15 23 51 -28 12 17 -6

19 Holsworthy 21 2 4 15 25 72 -47 10 19 -3

Surprised to hear this news , being a supporter of local football although of no particular team (i am an exiled Leeds united fan) I enjoy going to games across the league as a neutral fan and only very recently visited clyst rovers in their game against Parkway where i found the club realy freindly and hospitable.

A similar scenario as last season (2008/09)

Newton Abbot FC withdrew mid season and only one relegated (Newton Abbot Spurs)

Promoted Penzance (West) and Bovey Tracey (East)

So far in its short history the SWPL has lost 5 clubs plus Millbrook resigning at the end of this season.

Premier-Newton Abbot and Clyst Rovers

Div 1 West-Goonhavern Athletic and Wendron United

Div 1 East-Buckfastleigh Rangers

Falmouth Town lose only one point from a 0-0 draw at Waterslade Park.

So there are no goals to be taken off a player but Jason Chapman loses his clean sheet.

Does Robin Teagle lose his club debut and Red card in the records?

Can anyone suggest how I can hide my football interests(shown on the left) from my posts as I dont want to delete it from my profile as it will be handy for my wife when the day of reckoning comes to write my obituary lol

It does disappear when I log out.

with its restrictive (draconian?) promotions policy.
I'd be interested to hear you expand on that suggestion!

Not sure what you think is restrictive about it.

I think critics should remember that the Premier Division is a Step Six League in the National Pyramid System. This is one step higher than the old SWL and Devon League. It's something the clubs were crying out for for years. A chance to bypass Western One..with promotion straight into Western Premier.

The SWPL Premier opened up new levels of funding and the clubs that have embraced it have made the most of it. Just look at the improvements we have made to The Mill in the last three years.

Also the reason for ground grading is setting up a national standard for step six leagues. Something that the committee and officers of the SWPL have put a lot of time and effort into along with the FA.

As I queried after the Millbrook withdrawal .. Does the Peninsula League really believe it can support 3 divisions especially with its restrictive (draconian?) promotions policy.

Some would argue it is not restrictive enough! Clubs finishing top of the league and being allowed to refuse promotion, etc.

A chance to bypass Western One..with promotion straight into Western Premier.

However, this hasn't made any difference as Bodmin Town have twice failed to show much, if any, interest in taking promotion! Would any other club though? Even more difficult to see clubs bothering due to the ever-increasing financial pressures.

Interesting that at the last SWPL Board meeting they were asked if they could provide any help with reference to visits by the HMRC. This is after I also heard that one club in the Premier is faced with paying £4000 in back tax over the next 3 years - I can see financial pressures dictating even more.

I think the League would disagree with you baldy on the grounds that they started with 18 in the Premier, then under FA instructions went up to 20 with Wadebridge Town and Newton Abbot promoted. Newton obviously went bust but they relegated Spurs and then added Penzance and Bovey Tracey. They will therefore suggest that they have done as they said on that front.

They have promoted from below with Perranporth, Bickleigh, Royal Marines, Bovey Tracey, Exeter Civil Service, Godolphin Atlantic and Truro City Reserves all coming up.

However where they will feel they haven't delivered is relegating back to the Feeder Leagues and promoting up to the Western League. Bodmin Town frustrated them at the end of last year as they should have moved up and then others might have followed. As it is there is no one this year going up and the League is starting to get some fairly heavy comments coming out of the FA at Wembley!

In the future, Buckland Athletic might grab the bull by the horns at the end of next season with Steve Massey as their new manager but the club has to show the ambition as well to carry the club forward.

Sorry to see Clyst go out of the League, they have been around for a long time, good little club, I hope that one day they will be back,

Hammers :c::wacko::c:

It's a pity they couldn't complete their fixtures to the end of the season. Being at the far east of the division they have more travelling (and expenses) then most clubs in the Premier, however they were likely to be relegated to Div 1 East. This division has clubs around Exeter and Torbay so the travel would be much more manageable and the opposition not quite so strong.

In the future, Buckland Athletic might grab the bull by the horns at the end of next season with Steve Massey as their new manager but the club has to show the ambition as well to carry the club forward.

I would love to see Buckland grab the Bull by the horns but alas its all down to money but we have a great forward thinking committee at the club and I hear its being considered.

I know Torquay based players who play at an higher level in North Devon and say that mid week away matches and travel to training ect are a nightmare when combined with work, so there has to be a good financial incentive as I doubt they are not in it for the love of the game ?

As for teams dropping out mid season, perhaps the FA should put every side under an umbrella and force them to continue the season either with reserves or senior junior sides aka Weymouth Town ? But of course this would also be an unfair advantage to the teams that had yet to play them.

It is always sad when teams fold, it is unusual for clubs to disappear without

giving a reason for doing so, perhaps they had no alternative and nowhere to play.

Could Devon County Council be one of the bogey men amongst others?

Where land is involved fortunes are to be made, in this case it appears silence

is not golden for Clyst Rovers but it could be somewhere down the line for others.

The link below may have some bearing on the situation, the two years mentioned are up

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?newsmode=FULL&nid=51608