Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Combination League

3rd March 2010

Penzance Reserves 1-4 St Day

St Day handed Penzance their first home defeat since 15th September in this re-arranged league match. The first half was poor but the game livened up a bit during the second half and on the night St Day deserved their victory as they push for promotion into the SWPL Div 1 West.

In the crowd was Martyn Kimmins, the St Agnes manager on a spying mission watching St Day who are playing his team in the semi-final of the League Cup in a couple of weeks time.

St Day get a couple of early chances leading to a goal. They get a free kick in mid-field, knock it forward where dangerman Dominic Pullen turns and shoots in one move but is wide of the upright.

On 10mins they go ahead. They work the ball around the edge of the Magpies box towards the right, a cross goes in and Nathan Taylor unmarked on the 6yd line has a simple knock-in to make it 0-1.

Penzance manage a couple of breaks where they knock the ball into the area only to see wild deflections of St Day defenders going wide.

H-T

Penzance substitute Jamie Devine and Adam Fletcher with Gerran James and Max Davies at the start of the second half.

2mins after kick-off St Day double their lead. The ball comes down the left, Pullen forces his way into the box with the ball, gets down to the bye-line, crosses high and Taylor heads in at the back post. A well worked goal to put St Day 2-0 up after 47mins.

Worse is to come for the Magpies a few minutes later when they go further behind from an own goal. St Day break right, loft the ball cross goal into the box and James Street trying to head it clear loops the ball into the net over an outstretched Craig Nicholls. 0-3 after 55mins.

St Day get a long range shot in that goes wide.

Finally Penzance break left into the box. A shot goes under the keeper but the ball, cleared off the line falls to Gerran James who fires in a low cross goal shot to make 1-3 after 57mins.

Penzance substitute Charlie Jameson for Bradley Wills.

A couple minutes later St Day increase their lead when a long through ball from the back is latched onto by Tom Annear. He runs in one-on-one with the keeper and flips it into the net to make it 1-4 after 60mins.

James has a header for Penzance which flies wide before they are reduced to ten men with 15mins left when Steve Hancock has to come off with a twisted knee.

The final action sees Penzance break but the shot that comes in is deflected away.

F-T

No Penzance Man of the Match

Well refereed by Paul Windle

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Ashley Thomas, Ross Badcock, Adam Fletcher, Bradley Wills, James Street, Ryan Andrew, Liam Devine, Jamie Devine, Steve Hancock.

Subs – Gerran James (J Devine 45), Max Davies (Fletcher 45), Charlie Jameson (Wills 58), Darren Ball, Lewis Caspell

Corners – Penzance 7-2 St Day (5-2 1st half)

Fouls – Penzance 5-14 St Day

Crowd - 67

Cornishtedboy,why didn't you name a magpie man of the match,come win lose or draw you should always name one.remember the reserves don't get paid,they play for enjoyment and reading your reports slating them is totally out of order.Maybe you should concentrate on slating the 1st team players who get paided more than the hard working club members who put so much time and effort into the club.I bet the money from the gate,tea hut etc last night went towards the 1st team wages and not to the local lads in the 2nd team for a few jugs of beer in the clubhouse.

Cornishtedboy,why didn't you name a magpie man of the match,come win lose or draw you should always name one.remember the reserves don't get paid,they play for enjoyment and reading your reports slating them is totally out of order.Maybe you should concentrate on slating the 1st team players who get paided more than the hard working club members who put so much time and effort into the club.I bet the money from the gate,tea hut etc last night went towards the 1st team wages and not to the local lads in the 2nd team for a few jugs of beer in the clubhouse.

I would have thought it was down to the manager to name a man of the match, not a supporter. Bananaman I reckon you need to step back and read your post again. I don't think you'll find anyone who works harder for Penzance FC (or Combination football for that matter) than Cornishteddyboy and I reckon you owe him an apology for getting on his case. He does a great job with match reports that are usually unbiased and very accurate. I'm pretty sure he also does the match programme and sits on the committee as well as getting to pretty much every Reserves game - and that's before we even start on his Combo League website and the hard work he puts into that. It sounds to me like you've got a chip on your shoulder about PZ 1st team but I don't think you should take it out on Cornishteddyboy.