Cornwall Football Forum

West Penwith league!!!

With the amalgamation of the FHFL and the Mining league I was wondering whether there would be any interest in re-forming the West Penwith League agian, mainly for one reason when you play in the Mining league division 3 it is a very local (to the penwith area) league, with the likes of Gulval, Madron, St buryan, Marazion, Newlyn, Ludgvan, Rosudgeon, St Ives and Carbis Bay(?) and until this season Pendeen, my point is when it does combine presumably the division 3 sides from both divisions will go together with maybe the top half of each division 3's making up division 4 or 5 and the bottom part of each division 3's making up 5 or 6.

For most of these clubs it is there second teams and i know from Pendeen playing in it, up until this season that all the clubs enjoy playing the local derby's and the luxury of not having to travel very far, incuring less costs for the club aswell. I personally think that many teams are going to find the extra travelling difficult especially if like many clubs you do not have the facility of using a minibus.

So the point i'm trying to make, probably unsuccessfully! is that now, more than any time before, is probably a good time to see if the interest is there to reform what was once a glorious league.

I am keen to hear what the feedback is like as i was talking to an old West Penwith League committee member and he agreed with me about the extra travelling involved and also agreed that this was the best oportunity for it to reform if the opportunity arose.

Would having a more localised league improve the standard of football in the area?

I don't think it would necessarily improve the standard but i also don't think it would bring the standard down, lets not forget all of the teams would be in the new amalgamated league anyway, i'm thinking of the little clubs who just want to play football locally and don't want to incur expensive travelling costs and as i said before not many teams have the luxury of having a minibus.

Why did the West Penwith fold in the first place?

Dave the league folded due to lack of interest, as you may remember there were 2 divisions the West Penwith League for the 1st elevens and the Amor Shield generally the Reserves.

The League started to get weak when the likes of Penzance folded their 3rds, Gulval sought a tougher challenge in the Mining Leagues etc. Ita a shame it ended but truth be told there are precious few people to run teams let alone leagues. Consign it to history and marvel at its glorious past. We have a new dawn in Junior Football to embrace. Lets do it.

With the amalgamation of the FHFL and the Mining league I was wondering whether there would be any interest in re-forming the West Penwith League agian, mainly for one reason when you play in the Mining league division 3 it is a very local (to the penwith area) league, with the likes of Gulval, Madron, St buryan, Marazion, Newlyn, Ludgvan, Rosudgeon, St Ives and Carbis Bay(?) and until this season Pendeen, my point is when it does combine presumably the division 3 sides from both divisions will go together with maybe the top half of each division 3's making up division 4 or 5 and the bottom part of each division 3's making up 5 or 6.

For most of these clubs it is there second teams and i know from Pendeen playing in it, up until this season that all the clubs enjoy playing the local derby's and the luxury of not having to travel very far, incuring less costs for the club aswell. I personally think that many teams are going to find the extra travelling difficult especially if like many clubs you do not have the facility of using a minibus.

So the point i'm trying to make, probably unsuccessfully! is that now, more than any time before, is probably a good time to see if the interest is there to reform what was once a glorious league.

I am keen to hear what the feedback is like as i was talking to an old West Penwith League committee member and he agreed with me about the extra travelling involved and also agreed that this was the best oportunity for it to reform if the opportunity arose.

In the last season of West Penwith football Newlyn NA ended up playing Madron 1sts six times ....... As good a reason to close down a league as I can think of !

i think some people are missing the point of this thread, before, when it folded teams knew they had the safety net of the mining league to fall back on when things went bad and knew when they entered the mining league division 3 it was still going to be a local league with teams being close together, all i'm saying is that most of these teams are not use to travelling and i think that some clubs might find the added cost of travelling hard.

with respect to finding a committee, when the leagues amalgamate there is going to be a whole committee surplus to requirements as there isn't going to be a need to have two chairmans, two secretarys etc etc... will be interesting to see what they do with the committee actually!!!!!