Cornwall Football Forum

From one end of Cornwall , to the other.

South Western Peninsula League

Penzance 0 - 0 Saltash Utd

Penlee Park

My first trip away with Saltash United, I got the train to Penzance in time to watch the Man Utd game before the game, going through the early part of the train journey, there was frost around Liskeard and Bodmin area making me wonder whether the Penzance game would go ahead. The frost soon disappeared probably as we got lower down again. After arriving, I took the walk along the sea front to Penlee Park.

Now to the game, which I watched in the stand, it was 0-0 but it was a good game and Saltash showed good spirit throughout and with a bit more luck could have scored but it wasn't to be. Still a point at Penlee Park wasn't a bad result.

I walked back to the station with the sun starting to set, a nice walk to catch the train home, on which the Saltash team travelled as well.

So that was my first away trip and an enjoyable one at that.

I remember my first away trip to penzance with bugle in the old swl.How times have changed!No bypasses then,you had to travel thru sticker,truro,threemilestone,redruth,camborne,conner and hayle.2 hours down but a lot longer back,would try to be back by pub closing time,hopefully!! Usually stopped at mike greens for fish and chips (did,nt we lose metts there for being cheeky to the older players once)?

All travelling together with great legendary characters(jimmer,lobby,twins amongst others)and great teamspirit.Nowadays we have teams and players afraid to progress coz of the travelling yet i can do pz to exeter in 90mins?Youngsters telling older players how to play the game?and most clubhouses empty by 6 oclock?

The result 3-2 to pz but i scored both our goals,no pz clubhouse then i think we went back to pub up by the hospital ? :c:

I remember my first trip to penzance,It was when the magpies hosted a pre season match against wimbledon.The clubhouse was packed with dons and magpies into the early hours and the attendance must of been 2000+.The magpies team was proud local men with shorts as tight as a nuns ?? and a pint was £1.50.How times have changed,pints are doubled in price and the team is full of immigrants from newquay and newlyn.Plus being a nun is not as popular now as back in the early 90's.Maybe the clubhouse wouldn't be empty if they improve the road to newquay,then everyone can leave later.Are you trying to say pz don't have any team spirit anymore?

Going the other way my first away trip to watch Pz was in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round at Tiverton Town 1975/6.

Went up by train to Exeter then on by bus. Had my black and white scarf on, carrying a Union Flag with Penzance across it.

We won 3-1 in front of about 500 people with me the sole Magpies supporter there.

Dave Wadd the Penzance manager spotted me and invited me to travel back on the mini-bus with the team. We stopped on the way back, I think in Saltash, for fish and chips.

In the next round we beat Wadebridge, then in the 3rd round we hosted Falmouth.

There were 1,800 people at the match, with Falmouth bringing 3 coach loads of supporters plus loads came by train.

Falmouth won 3-0 but for hours there was trouble all over the town before and after the match.

I got thrown out of Penlee Park along with my brother and a few others, by some coppers for chucking stones at the Falmouth holigans who were standing in the corner by the entrance opposite the tea hut!

Cornishteddyboy,

I think that those were the days of the Falmouth F Troop, thank goodness they are long gone, they did the name of Falmouth no good at all,

all they wanted to do was wind up the opposing fans & then pick fights, in fact in the end Town took action against them by banning the ring leaders, because families would stay away.

Hammers :clapper::c: :c:

Cornishteddyboy,

I think that those were the days of the Falmouth F Troop, thank goodness they are long gone, they did the name of Falmouth no good at all,

all they wanted to do was wind up the opposing fans & then pick fights, in fact in the end Town took action against them by banning the ring leaders, because families would stay away.

Hammers :clapper::c::c:

When did they let you back in? :clapper:

"Going the other way my first away trip to watch Pz was in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round at Tiverton Town 1975/6.

Went up by train to Exeter then on by bus. Had my black and white scarf on, carrying a Union Flag with Penzance across it.

We won 3-1 in front of about 500 people with me the sole Magpies supporter there."

No, CTB, Dad and I were there as well!

My first away trip with PZ was to see them play Bodmin...don't remember the score but it was 1972-1973 season.

Longest I've done to watch the mighty Magpies was Edinburgh>Torpoint on a Sunday morning for a 2.00 kick-off. All was great until a ten minute delay on the bloody Torpoint ferry!

The Falmouth F Troop,What does the f stand for in this name.This topic is starting to get really cornish!

Cornishteddyboy,you should be keeping quiet about being a holigan in the 70's.chucking stones is not clever and rodney beer got banned from penlee park for alot less than that.Does penlee park still hold 4500 with the new stand on the far side? :c:

Going the other way my first away trip to watch Pz was in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round at Tiverton Town 1975/6.

We won 3-1 in front of about 500 people with me the sole Magpies supporter there.

Dave Wadd the Penzance manager spotted me and invited me to travel back on the mini-bus with the team. We stopped on the way back, I think in Saltash, for fish and chips.

In the next round we beat Wadebridge, then in the 3rd round we hosted Falmouth.

There were 1,800 people at the match, with Falmouth bringing 3 coach loads of supporters plus loads came by train.

Falmouth won 3-0 but for hours there was trouble all over the town before and after the match.

I got thrown out of Penlee Park along with my brother and a few others, by some coppers for chucking stones at the Falmouth holigans who were standing in the corner by the entrance opposite the tea hut!

Saturday October 18th.1975 F.A.Cup 3rd.Qualifying Round

PENZANCE (SWL Champions) 0 FALMOUTH TOWN (WL Champions) 3 h/t 0-1

Scorers. Colin Chegwyn 9mins/ Substitute Richard Francis 2 77mins,80 mins.

PENZANCE:Peter Collins;John Mead;Ray Nicholls;Mike Tummon;David Rose;Richard Stanley;Terry Williams;Graham Nicholls;Willie Thomas;Phil Ryder;Malcolm Lock(Paul Gazzard 61m)

Manager Dave Wadd

FALMOUTH TOWN:Bryan Helley;Allan Morris;Richard Davies;Paul Horrocks;Keith Manley;Geoff Freeman;Keith Etheridge;Dave Ferrett;Tony Kellow; Joe Scott;Colin Chegwyn(Richard Francis 68m)

Manager Richard Gray

Although the two managers didn't always see eye to eye a good luck telegram was sent from Dave Wadd to richard Gray prior to the Yeovil tie..

I dont remember much of the day at Penlee Park but do recall the next round with Yeovil Town.

Falmouth were well and truly put in their place going down 1-5,billed as the battle of the SW Non League.

With up to 20 Yeovil supporters coaches expected there was a lot of crowd trouble in and out of Bickland Park and Police dog handlers were seen on the pitch.

Officially there were 6 arrested and with the winners drawn home to the notorious Millwall in the first Round it may have been just as well Town went out.

Thankfully those hooligan days are now history in all levels of English football.