Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Plymstock Utd 3 - 1 Millbrook

Recommended Posts

Plymstock Utd 3 - 1 Millbrook

Despite their successes in the Devon Premier Cup the U’s had not won in the league since late November but they put all that firmly behind as they returned to winning ways with a well deserved victory over one of their local rivals.

They did not have things all their own way however as it was the Cornish side who enjoyed the better of the competitive opening exchanges, the tackles flying as both sides battled to gain the early supremacy.

It was the visitors who went closest to opening the scoring when full back Matt Reed drove just over from twenty five yards with seven minutes on the clock.

Back came the home side and with Ashley Piggott beginning to cause problems with his runs from midfield the U’s began to gain the upper hand. With twenty five minutes played they were gifted a golden opportunity to open their account when Andy Frost made a strong run down the left before driving the ball low into the box where Reed was adjudged to have handled. Kevin Francis however spurned the opportunity, driving his penalty against the crossbar.

Not deterred the U’s continued to press forward and keeper James Gill kept his side in the game making a fine double save to block a rasping drive from Piggott before recovering to divert the follow up effort by Mike Southgate with his legs.

With the interval approaching the home side finally broke the deadlock, albeit from an unlikely source when the visitors failed to clear a Francis corner and the ball fell to central defender Stuart Berry who beat his man with aplomb before crossing to the near post where fellow defender Lewis Young was on hand to back heel the ball past Gill from close in.

This lead was no less than the home side deserved, but within 60 seconds of the restart they found themselves back on terms when Chris Belsten tried a speculative drive from 30 yards, the ball flying past a surprised Ben Hardie and just under the crossbar.

In a repeat of the first half the visitors now found themselves on top but the U’s gradually regained their composure, regaining the lead after sixty five minutes when the hard working Aaron Hulme burst into the box before letting fly and although Gill got his hands to the ball it looped up into the air before falling into an unguarded net.

It was Hulme who set the seal on the home sides win when, with twenty minutes remaining, he timed his run into the box to perfection to meet a Piggott corner and glance the ball well out of the reach of Gill.

Good game of football considering both sides had key players missing.

Star Man - James Gill (Millbrook)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...