Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Fixtures, Results & Tables,

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the physio and staff at St Stephens Borough, I had a bad injury with my ankle and their physio didnt hesitate to come over and help, seeing my obvious distress, unfortunately we didnt give them much of a game this week as we did last week, but big thumbs up for their help with my injury. :clapper::c: :thumbsup:

beaves

I can see where you are coming from, and yes in the society we live in to day swearing is very common , as a ref i can go 90 minutes with out swearing ( and believe me there are times ) , as for frustration I think most refs do use common sense, but in this case the Biscovey player shouted it loud enough to be heard right over the other side of the field so as a ref your hands are tied , as for the Tavistock player well any one using that sort of language deserves to walk.

When as a ref I make a decision such as a free kick, I know that some times frustration take a hold and some players do make a comment and swear but I myself will count in my head to 10 and as long as it is not delibrately aim and any person directly I will let it pass but still have a quick and quiet word to let them know its been heard and say to them to try and turn it down a bit.

I also know that consistancy in the refs is a major issue but thats down to us as refs to try and sort out, but you know as well as me you will not get that consistancy at this level of football (mores the pity). We as refs don`t like having to send players from the field of play and try very hard to keep them on, As this was seen at this game when the to foolish players came together in the 80th minute with one acting like he`d been hit by a truck , they both could and really should of gone so was the ref wrong to keep them on and just caution or was this the use of common sense, the debate would rage on as some would say off and some not.

As B Manning say you can`t let foul and abusive language go unpunished but if the ref works with the players and the players work back we might be able to stop this sort of thing happerning on a regular bases. :thumbsup: :smiley20:

stewart

you know me once I get my teeth around something I don`t like to let go.

hope the season going well for you sorry not sure on saturdays result. but you were unlucky down at Looe when I was there. All you managers would be alot happier if we all sang from the same hymn sheet. At least you know with me what you see is what you get, (may it be crap or not ) ha ha ha :yahoo:

goodsense (you know who?) :smiley20::ninja: :smiley20:

stewart cawte, as we are all human consistancy is not achievable, but I would hope that in something as straightforward as foul or abusive language this should be dealt with correctly, I will admit that there are times where common sense denotes that as a referee you do not hear the odd word said in frustration but if you take disciplinary action for foul or abusive language it has to be correct and that is a red card. Failure to do that lets down all other officials and the game itself, also the referee is guilty of failing to apply the Laws of the Game correctly.

Whats the point of the rules, because when do you ever see a premiership player sent off for swearing at the referee, never. There are rules for each and every game played no one ever goes by the book.

Common sense should prevail at the lower level because none of us earn £100k + a week. However someone as to pay for the new county offices to run, must cost a bomb.

Personally think swearing is self controllable, people know the rules so why do it. Its not like a tackle, where it can be mis-timed earning a yellow/red card. Players can stop themselves swearing and know the consequences so its up to them, cant complain about it if you get punished. The problem is the inconsistency in referees decisions, different refs have different standards and leniancy levels so players dont know what they can get away with.

Edgcumbe have been reffed by Goodsense on a number or occasions for years now, and i dont think he's ever had a bad game (even if he has cost me a bit of money!!). He is a top referee and when I see we have him I know the standards he sets, and that the game is in safe hands, him along with Dave Golstein are the best out there in my opinion.

are the ecpl going to change the rules on suspensions as the peninsula west have done this year?? 35 days for swearing is a bit of a joke, the player who got sent off on saturday could miss about 8+ games!!

controllable yes and yes it is the letter of the law but have to agree with johnnie bates here...think my team mate griff may have contributed at least half of the new offices!!!

Firstly thank you Bigdawg and Stewart for your kind words , its always a pleasure to officiate at both your clubs, As when the game is over we always seem to have time to talk and discuss aspects of the game in a friendly and sometimes light hearted manner, even if we don`t always see eye to eye on some of those strang dicision I might make some times.

beaves I have to agree with you on the point that 35+ days is slightly OTT for the punishment espeically when on the same saturday afternoon you will certainly see some over paid and over rated so called super star telling the Ref exactly what he feels about the way he is reffing the game in a torrent of foul language, and gets away with it. But at our level the law is the law and we as refs have to abide by it . But with some sort of common sense ,and I believe most of us do try to. Or as you rightly said in an earlier post we would end up with hardly any players on the field.

I must add that 99% of all the teams I get to visit on a Saturday be them the home side or away I am always made to feel welcome before and even after the game when frustration of losing leaves some players with a sour taste in their mouths, and when I return later in the season I am made to feel welcome again . :drink:

Couldnt agree more Beaves. The suspension situation needs sorting out asap. 35 days is a joke, our centre forward missed 8 games in april last year because of this (mind you it was violent conduct so some would say possibly deserved). On the other hand i think it was Ricks saying he didnt miss any games this season after a red card because of the 35 day rule, good luck to him for that but it should be the same for everyone. 3 games, and if its postponed then it carries over.

Bigdawg

i have to agree on the 3 match ban, that means the next 3 matches and if 1 is cancelled then the next games till the player has miss 3 is a good idea.

I know as a ref it might not affect me in any way but sometimes you have to dismiss a player for something his has said and he goes without complaint and he understands why, doesn`t moan so 35 day seems sightly harsh. Plus 3 match ban might curb one or two appeals taking place, saving clubs, players ,and the county money. God if the county found out I said that i would proberly be drag though the county by chains.