Cornwall Football Forum

Junior Cup Referees

With 3 of the 4 games played in cornwall area semi's having problems/complaints with the Referees on this forum shouldn't something be done for the future?

Surely due to the importance of the games you'd think they'd appoint the best 4 possible referees allocated to Junior Football. was this the case?

Have any clubs had problems with the referees in the past? are they consistantly that bad?

Or is it just a case of sour grapes from the teams. Are they just blaming the refs as they didnt perform on the day?

I was at the P6s v Lanreath game and it defo isnt sour grapes as lanreath had more of the better chances in the game and probably deserved the win. Its just had our player not been 2nd yellowed (for 'retaliation' after he was taken out from behind. He got up and leaned over the player and said 'what the F@#* was that?') We might have just forced a replay. There are several more random decisions and mistakes on other thread.

I understand referees do a hard job and have respect for the free time they give up and the hassle they put up with.

Usually my motto about bad referees to players is 'he/she might make a few mistakes but probably a lot less mistakes than every individual player'

Its just so frustrating when poor refereeing affects the result so much on the day. And our referee didnt just make mistakes, he seemed to revel in the controversy his deliberate inconsistant decisions were creating to ensure the spotlight was on him.

I just dont think poor referees should be put continually in charge of big games.

Its like if a rubbish player played for truro one week and was completely out his depth, made constant mistakes, cost the team the game etc, I think you'd find he wouldnt play the next week. why do we not do the same with referees?

A refs job is a hard job and I for one respect the face they come out on a saturday afternoon and take there time out to do a job no one else wants to do. However some of them are pretty poor and petty but so is the duchy standard of football so in these leagues you will get poor refs and its soooo hard to do but you have to bite your lip and let your football do the talking. Maybe if everyone could get the names of these refs and complain there might be a problem that could be solved. But I dont think there are many refs in cornwall so we have to put up with them!! lol

Lets be honest here! in reality how big are these games in the County? its the quarter final of the Junior Cup!! they're not that big in comparison. And I've played in one against Perranporth!!

how do you distinguish the best referee? one team will say a ref was excellent, another team will say he's poor! can't win!

It is also important to allow less experienced refs officiate games like this if they are to carry on at a higher level..if you used the same refs every year for the 'big' games eventually when they come to retire we would be in an even worse position than we are now!

You just need to watch the premier league, refs there make mistakes every week which can potentially win or lose a title or mean relegatiion for clubs costing them millions! If they cant get it right every time how can you expect it to happen at grass roots level? Its a part of the game and we all know that it goes around in circles

A refs job is a hard job and I for one respect the face they come out on a saturday afternoon and take there time out to do a job no one else wants to do. However some of them are pretty poor and petty but so is the duchy standard of football so in these leagues you will get poor refs and its soooo hard to do but you have to bite your lip and let your football do the talking. Maybe if everyone could get the names of these refs and complain there might be a problem that could be solved. But I dont think there are many refs in cornwall so we have to put up with them!! lol

What a good idea. Let's identify all the referees that aren't "good enough" to referee football at the lowest level. We can then chuck them out and then.......

oooher! who's going to ref the games? I didn't think of that.

Like DERRRRRRR.

Just a thought.It might be crap,i dont know!? When we get down to say the area quarter-finals,why dont we get referee,s from the east to do the west games and vice versa,then you won,t have the problem of a ref who lives in the vacinity of either team/friends/relations!! The referee would be totally neutral and he probably would'nt have officiated either team before? i.e) A ref that is usually appointed to duchy or East cornwall to ref Carharrack v St.Buryan and a ref that is usually appointed Mining/FHL/Combination games could go up and officiate Looe v St.Teath.I think that would put an end to the officials being accused of having a bias towards either team and the teams themselves would not be familiar with the official? A clean slate all round! Hence more respect!?!

ps) I know this would cost maybe a tenner more for the refs travel expenses.Maybe the teams could split it? Just think it would solve a few problems??? :c:

ps) I know this would cost maybe a tenner more for the refs travel expenses.Maybe the teams could split it? Just think it would solve a few problems??? :c:

Odd really, Sunday Cup Rule 6 says that the clubs must share the costs (or profits) up to the semis when County pays the expenses.

In the Junior Cup the home team is responsible for paying the bills (or taking the nett profits from the gate - who said the CCFA don't have a sense of humour) until the area finals when the CCFA sort it.

Very unusual as, in general the Sunday Cup Rules refer to the Junior cup rules. AND, in practice, in the Sunday Cup the home team has always sorted the expenses. I won't say anything unless we're drawn at home next year!

Good idea Mark.

It's done that way for the Area Finals but to do it earlier in the competition you'll only get clubs complaining about the expense charged for a referee from,say,Hayle,to referee in say,Boscastle.A lot of junior clubs run on shoestrings and would struggle with the cost and then an Area Semi-Final if they won the earlier round.

How do you establish a good referee? I have been at games where there have been what i would call good referee,s watching, the referee in the middle has an absolute shocker sending players off at a cost of £33.00 bookings £8.00 and yet ask 1 of these referees watching to write a letter and say "Yes I was watching and ********* had a shocker" and they won,t want to know. And yet I stood watching another game and top ref's from the area were constantly slagging off the referee in the middle whom i might add was not that good at the time but has now risen up the ranks above those ref,s watching. In my opinion a good referee is a ref that gets into the spirit of the game, enjoys it, talks to you in a proper manner. eg The Ref can,t remember his name now but in our reserves game a player had a tooth knocked out accidently, he went up to the ref and showed him the tooth in his hand to which the ref replied "What do you expect me to do I,m a ref not a dentist"

as stated before, "respect" shoudl be a two way thing!!!

Yes it's been stated before. That certainly doesn't make it right.

At the F.A's Respect meeting, they kindly invited me to, the biggest area of concern was this bizarre attitude.

The Referees have to start with respect, by virtue of their office. The simply don't have to earn it.

Just think for a minute. "I'm not going to accept the referee's decisions because he's done nothing to earn my respect." "But the game's only been going for 10 minutes."

Silly isn't it.

We start, and there's no alternative, by giving the referee respect. We accept his decisions and respect his status as the guy in charge. That's what the "Respect" campaign is about.

The respect campaign is not just aimed at referee's. All league officials from whatever league should be treated with respect and also members of the CCFA deserve respect. But we live in an era where people only respect cfertain persons when it suits themselves.

"Never mind England winning the world cup, as long as they enjoy themselves and respect the referee's"

And if a world cup does make a mistake and England happen to lose because of it, watch this site!!!!!!!!!!!