Cornwall Football Forum

Applications to join the ECPL next season

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evening Gar, nxt season a long way off, got a job to do at wessex 1st, i will say once you managed in the peninsula than when you go back to local it hard to get the buzz again, so higher is were i would want to go. but enjoy going back to wessex

What a great decision the League Clubs made excepting St Dennis back into the League. The facicitlies are as good if not better then most teams and the fact we are still 100% in the League and travel to Penryn in the Senior Cup tomorrow, justifies the League and League clubs decision.

However we are not resting on our laurels and have plans to improve the facilties even more before the start of next season.

Tamerside when in the League were the best footballing side bar none and if they re-applyed should be given a fair hearing.

There isn't a club in the League that hasn't struggled at one point or another, so we all need to be little more tolerant to clubs that have struggled over the last 5 or 6 years.

St Dennis - Padstow - Lifton - St Newlyn East to name a few.

We has a club buckled down in the very good Duchy Premier League and last season ended up winning Junior Cup which in my opinion was the best acheivement by our club. We have been given the chance like i previously said and we are trying to take it with both hands.

Good Luck to all clubs that have and are struggling but never give the faith and it will change for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that Marjons will be re-applying. Just picking up on a couple of points:

1) The students don't run the community based teams. The football team, in addition to the Hockey, Netball and Basketball teams (who seem to operate very successfully at regional/national levels) are all run and administered by college staff. With the direction the college want the sports teams to go - it has to have this level of professional input. The students only have a partial input into the team that plays on a Wednesday in the University leagues. These squads are also run by highly qualified coaches employed by the college with student assistance.

2) Yes the facilities are improving. 9000 sq feet of new sports halls/fitness suite/sports therapy/sports science laboratories/swimming pool/changing rooms/cafes will be finished around Easter. Discussions regarding the upgrading of outside facilities to include upgrade of existing pitch/creation of 3 new pitches/3G pitch/training area/and all to be floodlit are all ongoing with the Devon FA, Football Foundation and Plymouth Argyle FC (who may use it as a 1st team training base). Part of these plans include the building of a clubhouse facility with changing rooms, training rooms, medical rooms and viewing galleries.

The college are serious about developing football and wish to have a long and prosperous relationship with the ECPL (regardless of how far this 'project' will go). I just hope that clubs see that Marjons could be a good addition to the league, and give the application due consideration at the neccessary league meetings.....even though we're not from Cornwall ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thebigfella

So, where are we in terms of applications? So far we seem to have...

St Teath (Duchy)

Gunnislake (Duchy)

Wessex Rangers (P&WDCL)

Tamarside (P&WDCL)

UCP Marjons (P&WDCL)

How many positions are available? Can anyone confirm or deny that these applications have been made, or considered? Where the hell is St Teath? LOL.

An application from Marjons was sent in about 3 weeks ago.

Are you the potential Marjons manager Professor?

No not the manager Bigdawg. We're lucky in that we have 3 UEFA B coaches and 2 Level 2 coaches within the set up and its a coaching team really, spread between the various student teams and the proposed ECPL team. I'm one of those coaches, so although I'm involved, I'm not directly the manager. Just a member of the team who is passionate about our little project!

Guest david may

st teath and gunnislake according to the duchy website

tamarside and wessex if allowed to enter the league would both be good enough to challenge for honours in the ecpl. but may struggle to keep hold of there players for a season in the ecdivision1 as no disrespect to those clubs its not much fun winning comftably each week. it would make the league more interesting and give torpoint more of a title fight

Looking at the Mitoo site, I see its now showing as new ECPL Applications for next season 2010-2011:-

"Five clubs have applied to date for acceptance into the ECPL for season 2010-11. They are Tamarside, Wessex Rangers, Dobwalls, St Teath, Gunnislake & Marjons"

Mind you, I make that six! :wacko:

Guest The chancer

tamarside and wessex if allowed to enter the league would both be good enough to challenge for honours in the ecpl. but may struggle to keep hold of there players for a season in the ecdivision1 as no disrespect to those clubs its not much fun winning comftably each week. it would make the league more interesting and give torpoint more of a title fight

What a joke! ECPL much higher standard than P&D league. Wessex and Tamarside will do well but will find EVERY game hard - no walkovers! After watching my son play P&D and now ECPL - no comparison as ECPL much harder.

What a joke! ECPL much higher standard than P&D league. Wessex and Tamarside will do well but will find EVERY game hard - no walkovers! After watching my son play P&D and now ECPL - no comparison as ECPL much harder.

Have to agree, ECPL is a far more competative league, and with the demise of the P & D League in Plymouth it can only get stronger with the possibility of the South Devon League benefitting as well. Apologies for mentioning a non-Cornish League.

Gunnislake could problerly get in playing on the car park at the rifle voulanteer , as some ECPL clubs got in with poor facilities, shoddy changing rooms and no grass in the past couple of seasons.

On a more serious note it would be nice to see the likes of gunni in the ECPL as there are a good side .

Guest thebigfella

Have to agree, ECPL is a far more competative league, and with the demise of the P & D League in Plymouth it can only get stronger with the possibility of the South Devon League benefitting as well. Apologies for mentioning a non-Cornish League.

Have to agree and disagree on some of those points.

Yes, the standard of the ECPL1 is stronger than the majority of the P&D, by some distance. However, I think, without hesitation, that both Tamarside and Wessex would negotiate themselves through the ECPL1 quite comfortably indeed should they enter next season. Tamarside have assembled another young and talented side, mixed with a bit of experience and I would not be surprised if that side managed to replicate the previous Tamarside team who demolished all before them in the first ECPL1 and won it, unbeaten. Wessex are a more experienced and physical team but, again, I do not see many teams in ECPL1 giving them too many problems.

The P&D (or P&WDCL as it is) has deteriorated dramatically over the last 10years. The standard generally is very poor indeed, apart from the top 3, maybe 4, sides that would complete comfortably in the ECPL. It has to be said, that there are still some pretty poor and mediocre teams in ECPL1 you know! The thing that is lacking with most of the Plymouth teams is facilities. The council pitches and changing facilities are a disgrace and it's no wonder that the league have struggled to raise the bar with such poor packing from the local council. Bar the SWPL reserve sides, Tamarside, Wessex, Staddiscombe and Lee Moor, most of the teams in the league play on council pitches. Only Mount Gould have leased their ground from the council, but have no doubt found the going pretty touch in terms of maintenance and keeping the changing rooms hygenic!!!

It would be very interesting to see what happens to football in Plymouth should the P&WDCL disband. I for one, would be devastated. I mentioned on a thread some time ago that I believe some discussion had taken place over the possibility of amalgamating the ECPL and the P&WDCL. I believe those discussions broke down rather quickly, but I think it would be great for football in both areas of the region. The formation of a DIVISION TWO (EAST & WEST) could provide the answer. I don't know... just throwing it out there!!

Marjons could actually be a decent addition too, provided they get their act in order in terms of the administration side of the club. Historically, student teams playing in the P&D league have been notoriously bad on that score. Inability to raised sides, problems making contact with club officials, inelligable and unregistered players have led to many instances of points deductions. Having said that, the Professor has stated that they seem to have a much more structured and professional approach to their football club now and this can only be good. They will be another young, talented and fit side who would benefit greatly from playing in a better standard of football, and with better facilities.

So how many vacancies will there be?

• 2 months later...

Should know more Wednesday 26th as they will be having a meeting

Well, just heard about the latest farce of an ECPL EGM. Tamarside, Dobwalls, Ivybridge and Kilkhampton had all applied to join the league, in addition to St Teath, Duchy Premier champions qualifying by right.

The league Committee gave their views on each applicant - well, they talked Kilkhampton up for ten minutes, and poured cold water on all the other applicants, then sent around voting slips with only Kilkhampton and Tamarside's names on, and space if you wanted to vote for anyone else!!!!

Kilkhampton were voted in with 21 votes to Dobwalls' 6 and Tamarside's 2.

What a shambles this lot are, put to shame by the way th Duchy League is run.

Well, just heard about the latest farce of an ECPL EGM. Tamarside, Dobwalls, Ivybridge and Kilkhampton had all applied to join the league, in addition to St Teath, Duchy Premier champions qualifying by right.

The league Committee gave their views on each applicant - well, they talked Kilkhampton up for ten minutes, and poured cold water on all the other applicants, then sent around voting slips with only Kilkhampton and Tamarside's names on, and space if you wanted to vote for anyone else!!!!

So what happened to Gunnislake and Marjons application then?

Marjons were mentioned with the others, but put down by the committee - was obvious they wanted Kilkhampton. Gunni weren't mentioned as they weren't eligible once St Teath went up - there is an agreement that the ECPL only take one Duchy club I believe.

Marjons were mentioned with the others, but put down by the committee - was obvious they wanted Kilkhampton. Gunni weren't mentioned as they weren't eligible once St Teath went up - there is an agreement that the ECPL only take one Duchy club I believe.

Really? Thought that was how the pyramid system worked? Will have to look into that with the FA especially after Will Kitto had an e-mail telling him St Teath would go up even if Gunnislake won the league? Bit strange!

Really? Thought that was how the pyramid system worked? Will have to look into that with the FA especially after Will Kitto had an e-mail telling him St Teath would go up even if Gunnislake won the league? Bit strange!

Again I might be wrong, but I think the Pyramid system only starts at step 7, and doesn't apply down as far as Junior football.A lot of things Mr Kitto says are a bit wide of the mark, like telling the Looe boys before your last game that your club had "insisted Looe were relegated, when the league just wanted to offer you the points" - since when did the Duchy do that?? Never - bit of gamesmanship from St Teath in motivating Looe (not that they needed it)

And 3 Clubs did not vote

And it cant have been an "e-mail" from the ECPL, technology hasn't reached that far yet. If your face doesn't fit you wont get into that league - your best bet is to win Duchy Premier outright and they cant stop you then.

And it cant have been an "e-mail" from the ECPL, technology hasn't reached that far yet. If your face doesn't fit you wont get into that league - your best bet is to win Duchy Premier outright and they cant stop you then.

What happened about the proposed East/West division?

Again I might be wrong, but I think the Pyramid system only starts at step 7, and doesn't apply down as far as Junior football.A lot of things Mr Kitto says are a bit wide of the mark, like telling the Looe boys before your last game that your club had "insisted Looe were relegated, when the league just wanted to offer you the points" - since when did the Duchy do that?? Never - bit of gamesmanship from St Teath in motivating Looe (not that they needed it)

Aah i wondered why i heard mutterings when they were warming up that they wanted to give us the points but we said no! How thick are they though how can they do that when they denied they did not play anyone that wasn't signed on.

What happened about the proposed East/West division?

Voted out quite comprehensively I think. After the committee couldn't say who would be in East or West!

I was at last seasons meeting and both Edgcumbe and St Dennis were brought in from Dutchy so two must be the limit allowed?

I thought there was only 31 membering clubs (16 prem / 15 div 1) to vote tonight not 32? Looks like it was a land-slide anyway!

My money was on St Teath and Gunni cause both Duchy League but role on a trips to Kilkhampton and St Teath!

I was at last seasons meeting and both Edgcumbe and St Dennis were brought in from Dutchy so two must be the limit allowed?

I thought there was only 31 membering clubs (16 prem / 15 div 1) to vote tonight not 32? Looks like it was a land-slide anyway!

My money was on St Teeth and Gunni cause both Dutchy League but role on a trips to Kilkhampton and St Teeth!

Season before St Stephens and St Dominick if i am not mistaken.

Beyond me - the committee were totally in favour of Kilkhampton's application for some reason, and either had negative opinions on the others (said Tamarside "let them down previously" by withdrawing and that Dobwalls "didn't even have a team") and didn't even discuss the likes of Marjons.

Kilkhamnpton had apparently secured £100k in funding for new changing rooms, and this was enough to secure the support of many clubs. This set up appears to have more interest in changing accommodation than in anything else, like location or playing standard!

Yes, the "National League System" only goes down as far as Step 7 (Peninsula League Division One East/West level), but that doesn't stop lower leagues having formal agreements with each other. I don't know if this is the case, but for instance the agreement between the Duchy and East Cornwall Leagues may be that the the top eligible Duchy League be guaranteed promotion but that the E Cornwall doesn't then take any further clubs. These agreements, of course, may only be worth as much as the paper they're written on when lawyers become involved!

Anyway, Kilkhampton will be an asset to the East Cornwall League next season, more than the likes of Marjons or Ivybridge Town reserves. They're already playing at technically the same level (North Devon League Senior Division is two levels from the Peninsula League like the East Cornwall Division One). Kilk will also continue with a side in the North Devon League, moving their reserve team from the Kingsley League.

--

Richard

The vote yesterday may have been handled poorly and there was plenty of debate as to the quality of the Kilkhampton application in respect of their changing facilities and current League status, but.....

.....21 votes to 6 for Dobwalls and only 2 for Tamarside is pretty unanimous.

I don't think the Committee's alleged preference for Kilkhampton had THAT much influence on the vote.

As for the decision to keep the League in it's current format (i.e. Premier & Div One).....Let's look at that in real terms.....

Take St Stephen's Borough for example, worked hard to get promoted twice in two seasons and will be plying their trade in the Premier Division next season.

Suppose they struggle and finish in the bottom two (notice I said suppose), at worst they would get relegated back to Division One.

However, under a new regionalised format, in theory let's say they would have been in the 'East Division' and if they had a bad season and finished bottom they would face the prospect of relegation back to the Duchy Premier and Junior football.

The other reason for not going ahead with regionalising of the ECPL is that it would have meant the possibility of the top two teams being promoted from the Duchy Premier, and whilst this would not be a problem in theory, supposing both the top two teams were from the same 'Region', it would mean the Committee could have the additional problem of shuffling the teams around every season or have teams playing 'out of their region' Which then defeats the object of regionalising the League in the first place.

I for one am glad the League has kept to it's existing format and also welcome the opportunity to visit a new ground should we happen to draw Kilkhampton in the cup next season.

Guest thebigfella

Sounds like the AGM was a complete farce yet again, however it does appear that the votes cast were indeed unanimous. But what do member clubs feel that Kilkhampton has to offer the league, that Tamarside doesn't? Travelling alone would have surely made Tamarside a more viable option!

I think the league and its members have missed a trick there as Tamarside are a cracking set up who have learned from the problems they encountered during their last stint in the league. There problems were a combination of financial ones and a mass exodus of players from a very very good side. But why should the comment that they have "let the league down before" have anything to do with it? Didn't the league let St Dennis back in only a season after they withdrew part way through?... and Tamarside certainly didn't do that! Double standards! Lets not also forget that Tamarside were a tremendous addition previously, and would have been again... maybe that was the issue?!

I can't comment on Dobwalls, but it would appear that not having a team in the first place may have swung the voting against them. It does seem a little ridiculous to apply to join a league, without actually having a team to play in it.

Seems very odd, and a concern, that the league should 'talk up' one applicant, and pour cold water on the others. That's poor. Maybe Kilkhampton have promised a free pasty and a pint for each committee member that visits next season?

WELL, I HAD ALREADY HEARD THAT ST TEATH FROM THE DUCHY LEAGUE HAD QUALIFIED BY RIGHTS BUT WHAT ABOUT GUNNISLAKE ?

HAS THEIR APPLICATION BEEN ACCEPTED ? THEY WOULD HAVE QUALIFIED BY RIGHTS BUT FOR AN 86TH MINUTE GOAL SO SURELY THEY MUST BE GETTING A LOOK-IN !

I would also like to offer congratulations to kilkhampton on their acceptance into ECFL but the three-sided shed with no water or coathook will not be accepted by any members of East Cornwall RA for officiating at this level so I urge all those involved at Kilk to make some temporary measures before the FA/Lottery money comes in.!

(Mind you, I always get a nice welcome at the London Inn afterwards!)

I would also like to offer congratulations to kilkhampton on their acceptance into ECFL but the three-sided shed with no water or coathook will not be accepted by any members of East Cornwall RA for officiating at this level so I urge all those involved at Kilk to make some temporary measures before the FA/Lottery money comes in.!

(Mind you, I always get a nice welcome at the London Inn afterwards!)

I beieve it was stated last nigth that referee facilities have been improved to tie them over until the new changing facilities are built.

I agree with CoachKT, at the end of the day a vote is a vote, but I DO think a lot of people there were railroaded into a decision by the committee. I was totally bemused by the favouritism shown towards a Kilkhampton outfit who don't yet have their new facilities built (albeit that their current ones were deemed as adequate). I don't have any ill feeling against Kilkhampton, and it will be another new ground to visit, I was just disappointed by the way the vote was run, right down to the voting slip with only 2 names on it - very amateurish, at best!!!

Would someone explain what Kilkhampton will be bringing to this league? It certainly is not football, having lost 13 out of 17 games in the second division of North Devon League.They were in ECPL almost 20 years ago I believe and offer no facilities at present and extra travel at a time when all clubs will be looking closely at costs.

For years the management of this league has caused concern and this appears to be another worrying instance of ship with no rudder syndrome.

WELL, I HAD ALREADY HEARD THAT ST TEATH FROM THE DUCHY LEAGUE HAD QUALIFIED BY RIGHTS BUT WHAT ABOUT GUNNISLAKE ?

HAS THEIR APPLICATION BEEN ACCEPTED ? THEY WOULD HAVE QUALIFIED BY RIGHTS BUT FOR AN 86TH MINUTE GOAL SO SURELY THEY MUST BE GETTING A LOOK-IN !

It wasnt because they conceded an 86th min goal, its coz they didnt win the league and St Teath did. It wasn't only that game that cost them the league.

Although as the Duchy premier is the feeder league to ECL 1 I do personally feel 2 sides should get promoted each year.

Guest thebigfella

Would someone explain what Kilkhampton will be bringing to this league? It certainly is not football, having lost 13 out of 17 games in the second division of North Devon League.They were in ECPL almost 20 years ago I believe and offer no facilities at present and extra travel at a time when all clubs will be looking closely at costs.

For years the management of this league has caused concern and this appears to be another worrying instance of ship with no rudder syndrome.

Is that right Chairman? They lost 13 league games? When you consider that Tamarside won the P&WDL this season, it makes it even more of a farce. Are the ECPL trying to improve the standard and quality or not? I appear to be shouting from the rooftops for Tamarside here, but I am from Plymouth and have followed their progress for years. My son is also involved in the youth setup and I find the whole club to be boardering on the 'professional'.

However, a vote is a vote, and only 2 clubs voted for them to re-enter the league. But why? Why would any club NOT vote for them? And why would any club vote for Kilkhampton ahead of them. Some tactical canvassing maybe? Very fishy!!!

Like Chairman says - What will Kilkhampton bring to this league other than increased travelling costs and fixture headaches?