Cornwall Football Forum

GIGGSY BBC personality of the year

Look, first and foremost, Ryan Giggs is a fine football player and true ambassador for the sport, who seemingly always carries himself with dignity and humility. I have the utmost respect for Giggs as a footballer and one-club man.

However, is it correct he has won the 2009 'Sports Personality of the Year'?

Not in a million years!

What exactly has he achieved this year that is any different to the 10 other years he won the domestic league title, why didn't he win it in 1999, when he won the treble? Whilst winning 11 domestic titles is an outstanding achievement, surely it is more apt to receive a special achievement award as opposed to the main award for just this years achievements. I mean, Phil 'The Power' Taylor won his 14th World Title this year and didn't even get on the shortlist because of BBC/SKYtv politics!

You had 5 or 6 sportsmen and women who achieved world champion status during this year and were far more deserving of the 2009 accolade, but because the BBC try to be all modern and open the award up to a public vote you now have a glorified popularity contest, which is not the same show/award I remember growing up watching in the late 80's/early 90's.

One of the more bizzare posts I've seen.

I agree it could have been a special achivement award, but your'e missing a few points here I think.

Ryan Giggs is still a world class athlete who seems to get better with age. Yet you think a beer gutted overweight Darts player should be in with as shout ????? Bleddy 'ell. I agree it takes skill,but come off it. A sport ? I can only assume you think darts is a sport because it's shown on the telly.

" I'm off to training now dear ".

"Okay, what time will you be back ?"

"Closing time"

There was no more deserving a winner of BBC Sports Personality of the Year, recognised as Britain's highest sporting accolade. Twenty years at the very top of his profession for a footballer in unprecedented.

Congratulation Giggsy :smiley20:

i agree with peck here.i think as good as giggs has been over the years he didnt deserve this award.i thought he played very good for the 1st half of the season last year & 2nd half he wasnt as good.i also think phil taylor should of won it & cant believe he wasnt even nominated for it

One of the more bizzare posts I've seen.

I agree it could have been a special achivement award, but your'e missing a few points here I think.

Ryan Giggs is still a world class athlete who seems to get better with age. Yet you think a beer gutted overweight Darts player should be in with as shout ????? Bleddy 'ell. I agree it takes skill,but come off it. A sport ? I can only assume you think darts is a sport because it's shown on the telly.

" I'm off to training now dear ".

"Closing time"

There was no more deserving a winner of BBC Sports Personality of the Year, recognised as Britain's highest sporting accolade. Twenty years at the very top of his profession for a footballer in unprecedented.

Congratulation Giggsy :smiley20:

If we are going to start rating each other's posts on this thread..... that one of the worst posts I've seen!! :huh:

First of all, you agree that it could have been a special achievement, but then at the end say he's a deserving winner of the main award, make up your mind!

Second of all, I was using Phil Taylor as an example of someone who has also had an outstanding career, and continues to show the same skill & dedication to his chosen profession as Giggsy does to his.

And lastly, the 2009 Sports Personality of the Year should be based on achievements in 2009 , not what has been achieved over a cumulative period. As I said in my original post, for that type of prolonged success, a special achievement should be granted (which you both agreed with and disagreed with!). :wacko:

Now, I've highlighted the important parts of my post to help you understand what I'm trying to say...... or would you prefer it Cornish! :D

In addition to this, but slightly moving away from the Main award, I thought the people chosen for the following awards were spot on (chosen by an independent panel may I add, the way it should be!)

Helen Rollason Award - Major Phil Packer (Iraqi War paraplegic, who completed the London Marathon for charity)

Special Achievement Award - Eddie Izzard (running 43 marathons in 51 days around Britain to raise cash for Sport Relief)

Lifetime Achievement Award - Seve Ballesteros

:clapper:

. or would you prefer it Cornish!
:D:D:D:D:D

First of all, you agree that it could have been a special achievement, but then at the end say he's a deserving winner of the main award, make up your mind!
Yes he was worthy for either. Apolgies for being so technical.

However, my main point is that how the hell can you compare a Dart player with an Athlete ???

. or would you prefer it Cornish!
:D:D:D:D:D

Yes he was worthy for either. Apolgies for being so technical.

However, my main point is that how the hell can you compare a Dart player with an Athlete ???

Here he goes AGAIN :rolleyes: ... Do you just have some sort of condition that means you find it impossible not to disagree or proclaim everybody else wrong?.

That dart player had DOMINATED his SPORT for over a decade. Your beloved 'Celt' Ryan Giggs hasn't..

Phil Taylor trains for a minimum of 6 hours EVERY DAY, your beloved 'Celt' Ryan Giggs doesn't...

Your stupidly absurd analogy of "" I'm off to training now dear ".

"Closing time"", is a clear demonstration of your inability to let go of the past... Darts players no longer swill beer or shorts at the oche, they are not fat alcoholics, and haven't been for bloody donkeys years..

Now, I'm NOT being all 'pro Taylor', or saying he should have won.. What I am saying is that Peck was spot on. Giggsy did NOT deserve to win Sports personality of the year.. The likes of David Haye, Jessica Ennis, Jenson Button, Andy Murray, Amir Khan etc etc, have ALL trained for years and years to get to the VERY TOP of their respective professions.

Now as good as Giggs is, or no matter what a model pro he seems to be, he is NOWHERE NEAR the VERY TOP of his profession (by that, I mean he's not up there with Ronaldo or Messi or Essien etc)..

Like Peck said, the award is supposed to be for achievements in 2009, and as far as I'm aware, Jessica Ennis, Amir Khan, Jenson Button, Andy Murray, David Haye and Phil Taylor have ALL achieved MORE that Ryan Giggs THIS YEAR :unsure: ..

Yet you seem to think he's the rightful winner of this award :rolleyes: :wacko:

Jenson Button? Formula one a sport?

Driving a car round for an hour or so - no traffic, no pedestrian crossings, no speed cameras, and picking up millions, a sport? You don't even have to park or go to Tescos for petrol. That's all done for you. I suppose it's quite dangerous as the steering wheel comes off.

It'll be in the Olympics next.

Oh dear, I feel another topic is going to become worryingly similar to the Cornish bore that's been endured for 2017 years on here :( ..

Who are we to define what is or isn't a sport?. Swimming is a bloody past time that people like to do to keep fit. So is jogging, so is cycling etc etc.. Yet these activities are classed as 'sports', and are represented at international level throughout the world.

Formula 1 racing is no different, and infact, if you listen to drivers of yesteryear when they are being interviewed, they all acknowledge they would not be able to compete under the conditions that today's drivers do. They apparantly, on most corners, endure G Forces that would render you and I unconscious, they have to work out for some 5 hours per day to maintain the necessary fitness levels required. I guess that blacking out or fainting is not a good idea at almost 200 mph?.

Don't get me wrong here, I find Formula 1 extremely boring to watch now (that's not always been the case), I only watch the start of each race, mainly because I'm sick in the head, and hope to see a good old 'pile up' on the first corner :thumbsup: .. It is however awesome if you fancy a nap on a Sunday afternoon ;) ..

BUT it is a Sport...

There is a new sport based on putting silly posts on the forum to see if anyone actually believes them.

If it's done while driving it can be quite dangerous. Hitting a wall at 60 MPH can subject the body to huge "G" forces and may prove fatal.

Posting silly posts can also be very dangerous if you happen to meet someone who took it seriously in the pub.

If you spend your whole life , 24/7 posting, sleep deprivation can cause personality changes.

There is a new sport based on putting silly posts on the forum to see if anyone actually believes them.

If it's done while driving it can be quite dangerous. Hitting a wall at 60 MPH can subject the body to huge "G" forces and may prove fatal.

Posting silly posts can also be very dangerous if you happen to meet someone who took it seriously in the pub.

If you spend your whole life , 24/7 posting, sleep deprivation can cause personality changes.

Your point?. :unsure:

And I hope you're not insinuating anything about me in your last sentence sir?. Even though it APPEARS the whole post is aimed in my direction :unsure:

Apologies. Not aimed at anyone in particular. If it were Mr Pot and Mr Kettle may come into the converstaion somewhere.

I just find humour in that strangest things and do, sometimes, unintentionally upset people. Can't change now.

Of course Formula 1 is a sport. I'm not so sure about synchronised (Synchronized) swimming or ice dance.

I'm all for beach volleyball.

The whole programme has become a shambles nowadays because of the internet!!

you can get groups together to nominate people and then just get thousands to vote, the bookies will tell you who's going to win just through the odds dropping down!

time they done away with the whole thing in my opinion

There are some incredibly bizarre postings on here. Giggs thoroughly deserved his award. But to down grade sports such as darts is even more bizarre. Someone like Taylor has to train very hard every day, the skill facter is incredible at the top level to say it is just a pub sport is stupid. Likewise with swimming I wouldn't be surprised if half you can do the dogs paddle. Many swimmers go to the pool at 5am, they do weights etc and then come back in the evening and do another set of thousands of metres. F1 is another Do you honestly think they just turn up and drive. Their fitness levels are amazing.

Its pretty obvious that most of the postings are from people who know absolutley nothing about sport. Synchronized swimming and Ice Dancing are others. Some people have no idea of the amount training that is put in to compete. The fitness levels are staggering. Sport is Sport if we blinker ourselves to just football then we have no idea what is happening in the rest of the country. I don't like watching either of the last two but that does not mean to say they are not dedicated to their sport.

As far as Giggs is concerned I suggest you look at the name of the award again and you will see that Giggs deserved the award.

name='sammo 66' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:36 PM' post='129113']

agree with peck 1961 giggs did nothing this year to deserve the award . this award should be chosen by a panel not the public as people have mentioned some people became world champions whilst giggs played in about nineteen premier league games .

name='sammo 66' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:36 PM' post='129113']

agree with peck 1961 giggs did nothing this year to deserve the award . this award should be chosen by a panel not the public as people have mentioned some people became world champions whilst giggs played in about nineteen premier league games .

Now now sammo just cos winger wenger aint won nowt for five years dont pick on giggs u know your digging at utd as a whole really 20 years 11prem titles 2 euro cups 4 fa cups blah blah blah 2009 sports personality of the year for league cup another prem title another champs final win or lose oh and of course the biggest one of all apart from being a legend A TRUE GENTLEMAN. ryan giggs past vieira he goes past dixon, keown hes smashed it past david seaman what a cracker aaaaagggghhhhh what a vintage year 99, and on to the treble but pm me if u want more :yahoo:

Guest Peppermint

The word PERSONALITY seems to have been missed out in most cases - eg Andy Murray has the non personality of a paper clip!!!!

Why do people jump on the band wagon and decry someone who has been a model sportsman for years and not resorted to the stupidity of most of his peers. Well deserved and I know the anti United brigade will say it is because some of us are biased.

The people stating it was a great award in the 80's etc - didn't Princess Anne win it one year - personality!!!!!!!!

The word PERSONALITY seems to have been missed out in most cases - eg Andy Murray has the non personality of a paper clip!!!!

Why do people jump on the band wagon and decry someone who has been a model sportsman for years and not resorted to the stupidity of most of his peers. Well deserved and I know the anti United brigade will say it is because some of us are biased.

The people stating it was a great award in the 80's etc - didn't Princess Anne win it one year - personality!!!!!!!!

spot on Peppermint :thumbsup: The truth of the matter is everyone has an opinion and you are all entitled to speak needless to say though he is and always will be the 2009 Sports Personality of the Year, get in there giggsy you beauty :drink::drink: :thumbsup:

There are some incredibly bizarre postings on here. Giggs thoroughly deserved his award. But to down grade sports such as darts is even more bizarre. Someone like Taylor has to train very hard every day, the skill facter is incredible at the top level to say it is just a pub sport is stupid. Likewise with swimming I wouldn't be surprised if half you can do the dogs paddle. Many swimmers go to the pool at 5am, they do weights etc and then come back in the evening and do another set of thousands of metres. F1 is another Do you honestly think they just turn up and drive. Their fitness levels are amazing.

Its pretty obvious that most of the postings are from people who know absolutley nothing about sport. Synchronized swimming and Ice Dancing are others. Some people have no idea of the amount training that is put in to compete. The fitness levels are staggering. Sport is Sport if we blinker ourselves to just football then we have no idea what is happening in the rest of the country. I don't like watching either of the last two but that does not mean to say they are not dedicated to their sport.

As far as Giggs is concerned I suggest you look at the name of the award again and you will see that Giggs deserved the award.

I stand corrected and withdraw my out of date humour and knowledge on Darts ECPL. I am not downgrading their skill and dedication. As with Snooker, it requires hours of 'practice' and does not require the fitness levels required by what I'd describe as that of an athlete.

So all in all, I agree with you 100%

Bill - you need a personality first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if there was an award for spectacular own goals then you would be in the running!!

It is rather sad that the BBC haven't yet thought of that.

The problem is, of course, that without video evidence, no one would believe the quality of some of the ogs I've perpetrated over many, many years.

So it goes. No justice in this world.