Cornwall Football Forum

What whould you do???

What would you do ???  

21 members have voted

1. 1. if you where a ref and the weather was bad???

• Start the game knowing that theres little chance of it being finished
    • Don't start the game
    • Start the game and no matter what get it finished

After so many games being called off by match referees and so many people moaning about the ref starting/not starting the game, i was wondering what you'd do if you was the ref :D I've given 3 choices but feel free to add extras :thumbsup::drink:

Anita, no "go to the pub" choice :angry2: .. How am I supposed to take the topic sriously if you haven't covered every option? :unsure:;)

Oh and by the way, who on earth do you think the 2 voters could possibly be? :unsure:

It all depends on the circumstances

True, so I'll paint a picture for you... It's an awful day, the pitch is wet, but with no standing water AT THE MOMENT, however, the rain is still lashing down, the wind is getting stronger, and you just know the pitch will be a dangerous slippery bog by the time the players have finished warming up, let alone after kick off :( . Just 100 yards down the road, there's a proper little English pub with a nice log fire, good food and real ale.........

There's your circumstances, where's your choice :unsure: ;)

Yes but think about going in to a nice warm clubhouse afterwards and having a few nice pints and then going home in the cold..now that sounds like the proper football to me..whatever happened to playing footie like I used to in the rain, snow, hail, geeee games were never called off..I dont think..maybe my memory is playing games as i get older lol

Due to the recent weather surely the home teams could have decided whether a match could have been played or not, but the ref cannot guarantee what the weather will do, how was anyone suppose to know that it was going to be dark so early.

This is a difficult situation for the ref, but my view is that if the game could be started and it wouldnt have to much of an affect on the pitch or players then it should go ahead but as seen over the county this weekend the weather got worse, so the refs that abandoned games did the right thing.

I know that everyone wants to see football played on a saturday but surely not if it is going to affect the chances of football being played the weeks after.

Just think if a player severly injured another in a tackle due to the conditions, the blame would have probably gone to the ref for not abondoning the games.

i think that they are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont

Hi anita your neighbour here i was at plymouth on satday the game should never of gone ahead i feel quite sorry for those poor barnsley supporters who travelled all that way that is why the match went ahead they should replay the game again with barnsley winning 1-4 plymouth could never play that bad again yes sorry they could the whole bloody club is a mess world cup coming to plymouth what a joke also paul stapletons missus done for dangerous driving i think it was and sturrocks crap signings the boy blake is useless get rid of sturrock put mariner in charge and try stay up .Plymouth should do what wigan players done reimburse the barnsley fans and us poor sods who watch plymouth play each week the club is a bloody joke at this time .my opinion is play the last 30 mins and reimburse the 300 barnsley fans .By the way anita what the hell happened to your team vs chelsea they just didnt turn up byeeeeee for now be good . :c:

You are correct Percy and Anita knows I'm only having a bit of banter with her.

Sadly players get injured, whether the conditions are good or bad, but the ref has to make a decision on the safety of every player and not just one. I know many a time Refs will get the heat for calling a game off, but I will say the majority of the time, they get the decision spot on. I'm not in Cornwall so cant say how dark it went on Saturday but with bad weather and light, it adds up to a mixture that could turn into a nightmare if play was to continue.

I have seen some daft decisions made in my league where a player broke his leg on 88 minutes and rather than the ref using common sense and blowing for time which both teams agreed to, as the score was 2-2 at the time, he decide to abandon the match..when it came to the committee, we had reports from both teams and were happy that both were happy with a point and didnt want a match between 2 teams nearly 80 miles apart to be played again in a midweek.

Then I have seen a team losing 3-0 after 74 minutes when the fog came down and the ref had no alternative but to abandon the match, the away side were fuming as they wanted the 3 points, this issue about 70 minutes isnt a rule..the rules of each league are sent to the FA and they then agree or disagree to them. If your league sends in a rule change and the FA disagree even if you have as clubs passed it at your AGM, it will be thrown out. Anyway the match was re-played at a later date in the season and it ended 2-2 and the home side got promoted by 1 point that season!

Hi anita your neighbour here i was at plymouth on satday the game should never of gone ahead i feel quite sorry for those poor barnsley supporters who travelled all that way that is why the match went ahead they should replay the game again with barnsley winning 1-4 plymouth could never play that bad again yes sorry they could the whole bloody club is a mess world cup coming to plymouth what a joke also paul stapletons missus done for dangerous driving i think it was and sturrocks crap signings the boy blake is useless get rid of sturrock put mariner in charge and try stay up .Plymouth should do what wigan players done reimburse the barnsley fans and us poor sods who watch plymouth play each week the club is a bloody joke at this time .my opinion is play the last 30 mins and reimburse the 300 barnsley fans .By the way anita what the hell happened to your team vs chelsea they just didnt turn up byeeeeee for now be good . :c:

Arsenal just wanted to make sure chelsea increased their lead at the top :D:drink:

Plymouth need sorting out :D I heard they want to be one of the grounds for the world cup (if we get it) saying its the best the south west has to offer ...................... B)