Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole 4 Camelford 1 Abandoned

A foul infront of the camelford dugout resulted in loads of the camels bench comin on to the pitch. The pitch was very wet but playable 1st half and 2nd got worse but nothing to bad. Then abandoned as ref did his best but felt thhreatened. Bit of a shame camels were play acting and moaning when the conditions when they played and beat foxhole were very similar a few weeks back.ref was saying in the home team should get points due to that type of abandonment and it was nothing to do with the weather

bit of a joke reli camelford players fouling our players too try and get the game called off ther goalkeeper feining injury aswell, it only got called off when the injured camelford captain dan bolstan came onto the pitch moaning about the pitch with the rest of their bench and manager supporters etc etc pitch was no different to the last game 2 weeks ago and good to see they were cheering on the way back to the changing rooms as if they had won...be interesting to hear about the refs report as he said he called it off because of the abuse from camelford and not because of the pitch..think they forget what there pitch was like before they came into money!!

Guest trent steele

As a mutual i can understand the questioning from both sides. I watched the game and could not believe it was started to be honest. There was a weather warning for the day and it was raining heavy before the game even kicked off. It was only a matter of time before the pitch cut up and become unplayable. There is a rule on the ball rolling and it hardly did in the middle of the pitch. I'm sure there is also a ruleing about the conditions being unfi to play and dangerous. It only takes one players foot to get caught in the mud during a tackle and resulting in a broken leg/ankle. There was not much of a footballing game to be watched to be honest. It seemed to be luck of the draw, if the ball held up in the mud rather than rolling out, this was the difference in a goal being scored or not. Foxhole seemed to be up for it more than the camels and it showed in the scoreline before it was abandoned. However, there must be focus on the ref rather than the whole blame being put in the camelford players as the ref should have stopped the game long before it was ended. The ref never had any control of the game and was making very unusual decisions. I understand he may have been under assessment and i feel his performance was not of the level of football for this league.

The camelford bench should have not reacted as they did but is it not up to the ref to yellow card subs/bench or send them into the changing room rather than panicing and at the heat of the moment calling the game off because he did not have the experience to deal with the situation.

The foxhole players are right to feel hard done by but i also feel they added fuel to the fire by chanting and mocking the camelford keeper once he had recovered from his injury. This lead to the camels coming in hard with tackles to show that they are not a team to roll over and take the abuse.

Plenty to think about there guys!!

Not quite sure what the last few postings have got to do with the main issue but in my opinion the game should never have been played, the conditions yesterday could not be compared to that of the game 3 weeks ago, there were visible puddles after about 10 mins whereas 3 weeks ago it was only with about 20 minutes to go that puddles appeared and the score was already 5-1. As for the referees decision to 'supposedly' abandon the game due to the constent abuse he received from the camelford dug out does seem strange... because a no point in the game did the referee speak to the bench about there behaviour and nobody was booked for dissent. Also regarding the deliberate fouling from the camelford players i counted only 1 yellow card to a camelford player throughout the whole game. So if you look at the actual facts from the game you cant really see where the decision to abandon the game for the reasons stated have come from. Foxhole were deservedly winning the game but i think any neutral person at the game would say that the correct decision would have been not to resart the game after half time due to the risk and safety of the players.

I think Trent Steele hit the nail on the head, would be nice to hear what other neutrals at the game thought.

yeah think the ref should have spoke to the camels bench as their constant moaning and bitching about the game being called off as soon as they started losing was pretty boring!!! the way the game was called off sounded similar to the callington st austell game last season...the ref wasnt going to abandon the game until onee of camels subs came onto the pitch to abuse the ref along with the other subs supporters and manager. the pitch wasnt great there were puddles second half wouldnt say it was any more dangerous than the previos game and certainly first half there were no problems with the ball rolling. Goalkeeper got what he deserved for faking an injury, he seemed fine when sprinting to get the ball less than a minute afterwards!!!!

Beeves you seemed to have missed the point, if you can honestly say that you think the conditions were the same as the previous game then fair enough but i think your in the minority, dont seem to recall there being so many games abandoned or postponed 3 weeks ago.

Like trent steele and i have previously said foxhole should feel hard done by but rules are rules and the game should not have been played to its conclusion. Lets just say the game had continued do you really think you could have played a further 30 minutes safely in the deteriorating conditions???

Guest trent steele

Beaves, not sure what game you were playing/watching but conditions were dramatically different to that of 3 weeks ago. Its difficult to understand that all the blame is being aimed at the camels bench/players. I was on that side of the pitch and there was nothing said that i feel would justify the ref using that as an excuse to abandon the game. We only have to look at the disciplinary record for both teams over the past few seasons to argue the fact that camels were more interested in avoiding injury rather than copping out of the result and using foul and abusive language as a tool.

You being a foxhole man beaves are a little sour that you may have missed out on a long awaited 3pts.

Chin up mate.

It is a little strange that nobody from camelford moaned about the conditions until half-time and they were 4-1 down. Also to say the ball was hardly rolling is a lie. Their were a few patches on the pitch where it didn't, but on the whole, it was fine.

Game kicked off at 2.15pm, earlier than Newquay, and the referee stated it would have carried on, and he said it was called off due to the abuse he received. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. He did his best to get it going. Who were the players booked? surely more than one as the striker got booked, unless the camelford player who committed the worst foul of the game ( which ended the game ) on the foxhole player, did not get booked.

Nobody is sour, just dissapointed at some of the antics a minority of the team.

Trent Steele, neutral, I think not.

haha neutral!!yeah right...not sour just disappointed with the manner in which the game was abandoned, cant remember a foxhole player making a bad tackle all game. think your eyesights as bad as your hearing :) will just have to wait and see what the league make of it...will certainly be an interesting re-match tho if replayed!!

Guest Peppermint

Trent Steele's posting do not really come over as a neutral spectator - I wonder if he really is a Camelford supporter in disguise!!!!!

I look forward to seeing Darin Morse's report which I am sure will be detailed and a fair assessemnt as usual.

As always final decision is with the ref - not the players and managers - dreadful to think that clubs are trying to get games abandoned when they are losing - we had the same thing happen in the Dobwalls-Millbrook game but thankfully the ref was strong enough to withstand the constant bellyaching from the losing side and got the game completed and quite rightly so - if the situation was reversed I doubt if either Camelford OR Millbrook would have wanted an abandonment - I hope the result stands as the authorities cannot allow games to be called off due to pressure on the pitch/sidelines - seem to recall this has happened more than once recently.

I had a very interesting conversation with a Foxhole supporter/follower at my place of work today. We talked in great depth about the game and the big talking point. We both came to the conclusion that foxhole were deservedly winning at half time but both had the feeling that there was a strong chance Camelford could get back into the game at anytime due to the nature of the game and the conditions.

Interestingly though he went on to say that he was very surprised to read the headlines in the Independent as he went home thinking the game had rightly been abandoned due to the apalling conditions. He then went on to say that he only saw two people leave the Camelford bench to enter the field of play, 1 being the sub dan balesdan (excuse the spelling if wrong) and the 2nd being the assistant manager who was acting as physio for the injured Foxhole player. Within seconds the referee had blown his whistle and the match was ended.

Guest trent steele

Frosty, you have summed the whole issue up in a nut shell and the details you obtained coming from a foxhole supporter is pretty bang on point. Its nice to hear some sense coming from their followers but i suppose it still does not take away the fact that the game was abandoned when foxhole were winning and i guess they feel they should get all 3 points.

It leaves me to say that there is alot more to the situation then the black and white which is being stated and all we can do now is wait for the ref's report and a decision to be made by the league as to whether it will be replayed or not.

Its pretty obvious Camelford were gonna be beaten and then made the refs mind up for him when it came to calling the match off.

Whether it was because of the weather or the bench, players and officials surely have to take some responsibility to ensure that games are played as fairly and as safely as possible.

Foxhole 4 Camelford 1 (Abandoned after 61 minutes)

Saturday 28th November 2009

Camelford should have scored inside two minutes when Menhinick latched on to Carpenter's poor backpass but he was unable to find the net despite rounding Holland. Instead, a minute later, Foxhole opened the scoring when Rowe's volley from Pinhammer's centre beat Colwill. Menhinick then squandered a great chance of an immediate equaliser when he turned quickly in the box only to be denied by a smart save, while Haynes' header from a corner was cleared off the line by Pinhammer. Boardman's leveller on six minutes was somehow inevitable, but, apart from Gusterson's low drive on the quarter hour which flashed narrowly wide, the high-flying visitors were not to threaten again in the first half, as they completely failed to adapt to the fast deteriorating conditions.

By contrast, the continuous rained appeared to suit Foxhole's whole-hearted approach, as they chased down every loose ball with an eagerness seldom seen this season, and they were to be rewarded with three goals within seven minutes. First, on 35 minutes, Colwill did well to deny Adam Holland but was powerless to prevent Nicholls' close-range effort after good work by Pinhammer, who was soon to supply Bullock with an easy chance for the third. Finally, on 42, Bullock's brilliant cross presented Pinhammer with a tap-in at the far post to leave the visitors with a mountain to climb.

A triple substitution early in the second-half gave the Camels fresh impetus, and Holland was relieved to see both Boardman's header from Impleton's free-kick, and Menhinick's shot through a crowded area, each fly just past the upright. However, their body language betrayed their belief that the game should not continue, and, not long after Menhinick had been cautioned for a foul on Kenny, a poor challenge on the half-way line persuaded Mr Mills to call a halt with 29 minutes remaining.

Foxhole (4-5-1): Ryan Holland; Dexter Lawrence, Sam Kenny, Daniel Meens, Nick Carpenter; Adam Holland, Jamie Bullock, Scott Ansell, Ross Pinhammer, Liam Nicholls; Mark Rowe.

Camelford (3-5-2): Josh Colwill; Adam Sleep, Alex Young, Alex Boardman; James Mabley, Dan Metherell (sub. Cameron Palin), Lewis Impleton, Kevin Murt (sub. Giles Reynolds), Martyn Haynes; Mark Gusterson (sub. Martyn Hake), Paul Menhinick.

Referee: Mr Michael Mills (Truro).