Cornwall Football Forum

Best up and coming young goalkeepers in the SWPL

Guest football lover

Guest football lover

Being a goalkeeper in my old time i like to lend my saurdays to go watch the up and coming goalkeepers of the swpl and have been suprised to find only a couple. i would just like your thoughts on what keepers are the ones to watch and look out for and playing well. :):)

Guest Peppermint

Ryan Barnes at Newquay - only 16 years old and very promising and has given some very good and mature performances this season. I have seen Ben Hurst at Wadebridge Town another very good keeper - both keepers are in Tommy Matthews' County Youth Squad.

I am sure there are more good young keepers in the CSWPL that some Forum users will come up with.

Guest football lover

thankyou for the imput. i take it the cornwall side being the under 18s. ive only seen two young keepers who look comfortable at the level there playing and one is ben elphlick of plymouth parkway who ive seen and herad alot about and has put in some superb proformances. the other being ben hardie who is 16 and hes coming to grip to the level at plymstock. i will have to keep a eye out on them and watch a few games. :):)

Shaun Semmens, Godolphin Atlantic, 18 years old, been in the shadow of Chris May for the last few seasons but has been their regular number one for the first team all season.

Also plays in goal for the Godolphin Under 18's and is the number one choice for Truro College above Ryan Barnes I think, however he still can't get in the Cornwall Youth Team!

Some say it's because of his 'PINK' kit, some say it's because the other keepers parents pay the Cornwall Youth Goalkeeping Coach for lessons!

Anyone shed any light on this?

Guest Peppermint

Football Lover asked for opinions on young keepers and that is what it is all about - having seen Shaun Semmens play on a number of occasions I would not argue other than he is a talented young keeper.

However A.Bystander's rather rash comments regarding the two Youth keepers and the possibility of payments etc. leaves a nasty taste in the mouth and I and many others involved with football believe that Tommy Matthews andhis team selects the squad that in their opinion is the best. A shame that an interesting topic is soured by those comments.

Incidentally good luck to our County Youth Squad tomorrow when and if they play.

Peppermint,

Am I not entitled to an opinion?

There is another excellent young 18 year old Keeper who plays for Grampound Under 18's and Probus, unfortunately for him not at a senior level, watched him a few times and I reckon he has a good future ahead of him

Just asking a simple question to find out more about gossip you hear on the grapevine! Thought that was what this forum was all about?

By the way while you are on maybe you can shed some light on this gossip, can you confirm if your young keeper is in fact coached and pay's for his coaching by the County F.A.'s Goalkeeping Coach?

many thanks!

And good luck to the Youth Squad when and if they play

Guest Peppermint

Hi A.Bystander - certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions and as stated previously I think Shaun is an excellent young keeper. I have no knowledge of any payments re coaching but all I was pointed out was that the topic was good young keepers. We all have different opinions regarding who is the best and if the weather relents and the Godolphin Atlantic v Camelford match is on then I shall see Shaun in action because I am reporting on that match.

It should be an interesting game and I am sure Derek and The G will give a good account of themselves.

Just hope the weather abates and we have a game. If you are at the match maybe we will meet.

A Bystander,

I do believe Ryan does receive coaching in his own time along with many others, which I would say is a credit to him. If it is paid for or not has nothing to do with it. I think you will find that if you continued on your research path that it is open to everyone so if you feel it will enhance Shauns opportunities of getting in the County Youth Team advise him to attend.

Football is a game of opinions and as you rightly say you are entitled to yours, however when you go to question the integrity of selectors I think its when you might begin to upset people. Having seen both Ryan and Shaun from an objective view I personally think they are both young keepers with good potential.

If Shaun is currently keeping Ryan out of the college first team that is credit to him, just like its a credit to Ryan for gaining a spot in the County Youth Team at the expense of all the other good young keepers who attended the trial. Selecting a squad to represent the County is very difficult, I help out myself. Just because one player misses out in your eyes does not mean another coach may agree with you.

After watching both keepers this year I think they have performed well overall for their respective clubs and both have potential to develop in to good keepers in the future.

Very good point spider. Young is sometimes over used when talking about players. At 22 i would still like to be classed as a young player! :D

I think in this instance you would have to say under 20! But in terms of Keepers many believe you do not hit your peak until 28-29 so it could be left open to further interpretation.

Guest Peppermint

In the light of the recent postings I should like to add Paul Hider from Launceston to my list of promising young keepers!!!!!! Dudas is quite correct when he makes a point that keepers mature later and can keep playing at a high level longer. Just look at David James, Peter Shilton etc.

They make Spider look like a Junior School pupil!!!!

A Bystander

Think very carefully about what you may be implying when you make certain suggestions about who is and is not in the Cornwall squad and for what reasons.

You may already know that I've taught both Shaun and Ryan at school for nearly 5 years and know them both well. They are talented goalkeepers and before making our final choices, we looked at them at the trials and seperately at club level.

I personally went to watch Shaun at Hayle, that was my sole reason for being there.

We spoke to Shaun and all the other players not fortunate enough to be selected and gave them feedback at the trials and I am keeping regularly updated on their progress.

I won't comment on any individuals here on an open forum, and if the college team wishes to make different selections to ours they are more than welcome to do so.

I've seen Shaun's pink kit and quite like it actually, it's a bit like a sweater I've got at home so no probems there!

Finally, I take advice from our goalkeeping coach and as a collective we all arrived at the same decision regarding who we wanted to select. Shaun plus other young hopefuls are knocking on the door of the squad and that's what's keeping the current squad on their toes. Don't think that your potential trouble making will have any affect on anyone's selection either way.

We pick the squad on merit and we feel we've done that. I respect your entitlement to an opinion but not at the expense of unfounded gossip which has no shread of truth.

Incidentally, in the spirit of openness and transparency, I am happy to put my own name to anything I write, perhaps you should consider doing the same.

Tommy Matthews

how come the young lad, keiren conibear from wadebridge isn't in the squad this year, i fort he was a integral part of the county winning squad last year? i seen he had a tough start to this season this year with a lack of 1st team football at st blazey, but even so surely the coaching staff with the county set up last year saw something in the lad to give him at least a spot in the current squad this year?

A Bystander,

You obviously don't know Tommy very well to write what you have. He used to leave his own son out of his club youth side a few years ago. Personality or relationships effecting selection- I dont think so!

We all have opinions, mostly tainted by our loyalties to our our clubs players, but there is only one that matters in the end - the Managers, in this case Tommy who I have no doubt picks on ability/form/fitness/attitude.

Just because someone doesn't make the County team now, doesn't mean they will not go on, develop and achieve great things. I recall Nigel Martyn used to be kept out of the County u18 team and we know what happened there.

I think the results justify Tommy's selections.

:c:

having known both keepers at godolphin and newquay they are both very good goal keepers but tommy mathews has the respect of every one whos been lucky enough to play with against and coached by when the county staff make a choice we have to respect that . every one has opions but lets keep it on a non personal view guys, guys like tommy and ray nics trevor have a wealth of experence and i as a cornish boy am fully behind and choices they make and the proffesional way they conduct their selvs , i dont know but im sure tommy would have spoke to all the young players in the county who are in with a shot of getting selected and explained why if they have not been ,sometimes views that have been posted on here are one of the reasons a club or players dont progress ! it shows up the way they think , and as for nigel i was lucky enough to captain the heavey transport side which he played in before terry took him to bugle for his senior debt, nigel started up front before moving into goal and was a late starter in that position , the rest they say is history . but he had good guys behind him chris bailey (his wifes dad ) mike newcombe and keith husband (managers) who encouraged then terry huddy whos been the top county coach for a lifetime . so lets get behing tommy and the county youth they have started in fire this season and i and i know every one at newquay afc wish they every success this season , and just to end what about simon winno our vets goal keeper im sure he can get away with being under 18 just a thought tommy , alan metters

Wow!

Gentlemen, thank you for your post’s, that has certainly shed some light on the matter.

Dudas – Good post and clears most things up!

For the record, the post was not a personal dig at anyone or questioning the integrity of any of the County Selectors, it was meant to create a debate and put pay to the Gossipmongers, which hopefully it has?

Once again, many thanks’

Cheers for the mention Metts. I like the way you are trying to look after me m8. In my humble opinion Newquay have a bright future with young keepers Ryan is doing very well and keep an eye out for Kyle Winnan in the u16's. Big competition soon at mens level good for the club.

• 1 month later...

Watched the game on boxing day Barnes in goal for Newquay, Semmens in goal for Godolphin both made important saves, but thought Semmens looked the better and more mature keeper!

Anybody else think the same?

Were the county coaches/manager watching?

Well done to both teams great game on an awful playing surface!

Thought shaun had more to do, impressed with his kicking, brave not sure hesitant and talking not sure, attitude?????? Ryan played well made some goood saves couldn't do much about goal, his information was good and not scared to get down to player's feet brave yes, kicking needs to improve, great attitude.If i am not mistaken one year younger than shaun. probably tommy knows his reason to choose ryan if he has coached both, good luck to cornwall youth for this saturday. This is my veiw both good keepers

Guest Gilesy19

Gary Penhaligon - St.Austell

In his prime!

:clapper:

couldn't agree any more and i also think kai stone of st austell played a few games lately and done a great job he has a good future ahead.

Played against Godolphin on Saturday - their young keeper is pretty good but he did feel the need to run half the pitch to argue with the referee on a couple of occasions!!! BUT overall he was good!!! Kai has put in some good performances, good shout Giler!!!!! :drink:

Guest Gilesy19

Played against Godolphin on Saturday - their young keeper is pretty good but he did feel the need to run half the pitch to argue with the referee on a couple of occasions!!! BUT overall he was good!!! Kai has put in some good performances, good shout Giler!!!!! :drink:

i also agree with this crappy well said :)