Cornwall Football Forum

I think for every player, you want to play at the highest level to your ability however if you are moving up simply to sit on the bench week in week out is it a good move?

Should players stay at clubs where they are guaranteed to start or should they move higher and be a possible fringe player at better teams?

Players these days play for two reasons:

1. How much Money

2. status, its better to be a sub for a SWPL side then it is to be a estabilished Combo player etc etc.

there are only a few players that actually play because they love the club and really enjoy there football on a saturday. :c:

I think from my personal view, at a young age you need to be playing regularly if you wish to improve. However for players who are maybe coming towards the end of their playing days, why not go out playing at the highest level you can.

For young players is it necessary to be playing week in week out in order to achieve your full potential?????????

1. How much Money

2. status, its better to be a sub for a SWPL side then it is to be a estabilished Combo player etc etc.

there are only a few players that actually play because they love the club and really enjoy there football on a saturday. :c:

Dont think thats true at all!

not at my club or many of my mates playing for other clubs.

1. How much Money

Dont think thats true at all!

not at my club or many of my mates playing for other clubs.

Let's be honest. That is very true...

Guest mariner

It all depends on the individual! Some people play lower standard just to stay loyal to their club! And we all know alot of players not all play higher just for the money etc! But at the end of the day why not?

Very interesting question...........

Personally its all about trying to play at the highest level possible, not talking about for money, but for the opportunity to test yourself against so called better players.

As much fun as it is to beat some 6 or 7-0 nothing beats a hard fought game where you win 1-0 and really feel you have earnt the points.

Not living in Cornwall now its a view from a slightly different position than most on here, but ive played in the Cheltenham league at the start of the season (equivalent to Duchy) but soon found myself wanting to play higher as i have been in the past....and have moved up to playing in the Hellenic league and Glos County league

Playing at these higher levels im a right back, but could play lower down in one of the glamorous positions such as striker or centre mid but soon got bored.

So to summaraise.......i believe you should always try and play at the highest level you can. The only way to improve as a player is to test yourself against better players who push you on.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good question, but a lot of the replies i feel are made with the assumption that everybody has the same goals when they play football on a saturday.

Each individual has a reason(s) to join a football club and participate on a saturday.

- Some players might play for a financial reward and not like football very much at all. This is true of some professionals.

- Someone else may simply play for enjoyment regardless of the standard of the football, the position they play or the cost to them personally.

- Others might play for a combination of these reasons, they're paid to play football a game they very much enjoy but they'd also like to play at as high a standard as possible in order to challenge themselves.

I think something that is important for everyone that plays on a saturday is enjoyment. It doesn't matter how the enjoyment is derived. Some guys might genuinely enjoy sitting on the bench at a SWPL team, someone else might actually enjoy playing 3 leagues lower than they could playing with their friends. But as long as you can honestly say you are happy with your individual situatioand how it alligns with your own goals, then i don't think you can go far wrong.

The only thing that makes me unhappy on a saturday is the lack of payment, but i live in hope.