Cornwall Football Forum

our ref' from Saturday. Bodmin Saints were at home to St Stephens. This was a very good game with some quality football from both sides, at least in the first 45. The second is difficult to describe, so I won't try. However I would like to give the ref a big pat on the back for the way he handled this game. I might be wrong but it's possible it was the biggest game for him so far. I know for certain no-one on the home side was cautioned and I didn't see a yellow card come out for St Stephens either. Well done mate and thanks for jumping in at such an extremely late hour.

One last and most important detail: our ref was just sixteen.

I will divulge that info' later, Dave but I wanted to see what the reaction here would be first.

I should also mention my cryptic remark regarding the second half of our game. It had nothing to do with the ref'. It was just a peculiar 45 minutes from a footballing point-of-view.

I agree on the first point, Dave. I also remember the rants of a couple of weeks ago about a young ref' by Speedy G. I wanted to check back and see if a name was mentioned and it wasn't and so cannot be certain if this lad was the same one.

The name of our ref' on Saturday, and remember this, neither any of our side, nor St Stephens side made any criticism that I know of, is Dermot O'Callaghan.

Yep, it was one of two halves alright. We were 4 - 1 up at h.t. We came back out and continued attacking. There were no more goals but one of our midfielders did hit both posts with the same shot. No the strange part was from St Stephens. They had a quality striker; long blonde-haired guy and what looked to be at the beginning of the game, a very good footballing side, they just did not play in the second 45. Their keeper was their man of the match. He was a short-arse, as I was when I played in goal in the old B&D League but he was damned good.

Our ref on Saturday, Sticker Reserves V Callington (Duchy 4) was also excellent. I'm normally the first to moan when referees are poor, but the guy on Saturday was very good, constantly up with play and always trying to let the game flow. Mainly though, he would explain any decision, which prevents any need for abusive language, dissent and such like.

:clapper::clapper: :clapper:

How strange it is! Folks are much more interested in a post slagging a ref off than they are one which is in praise of the 'man' in black.

Every picture truly does tell a story.

Having many times written for the Non League Newspaper I feel an article coming on.

As a certain Mr Greaves said "football it`s a funny old game" my previous two games were end to end very competative matches no quarter asked and none given, all I had to do was a discreet word to some players to calm down and no other problems to deal with, all four clubs a credit to football. This saturdays game, well nothing could have been more different, home club on my back all game and although they won I`m sure I was nothing more than something nasty on the bottom of a shoe. The good part was the losing teams manager approaching me after the game and informing me that he was completely happy with my decisions and performance.

Guest Postie Pidge

We've had a couple of good referee's this year! the one in the senior cup from down West way, northern bloke called Paul or something, I beleive Anita said. Then there's Phil Avis as well.

Paul Windle

Most referees I've seen this season have been superb, out of our 7 league games (for Grampound Reserves, I'm player/manager) I've graded the referee at 90 or more for 6 of them as their performances have been near perfect. One referee didn't have a great game, as he let too much go, but them like players we all have off days. I don't let any of my players argue with the referee, I've seen too many teams that use the referee as a scapegoat.

The way I see it?

Sometimes refs might have a bad day. On reflection, and I'm no gambler, I'd be willing to bet players have many more bad days than refs. So it's pretty simple, when a player has a bad day, it's the bloody ref's fault.

Now for some home truths: I played for St Lawrences, I played for Bodmin Town reserves. I played for The Masons Arms and I played many and various friendlies. I played for my school, I even was signed on at Western League Ilminster Town for one season and played for Stowford in the Dorset League. I played six-a-side and eleven-a-side in West London - where I was born and grew up.

I have never, ever in my life been sent off nor booked. Nope I don't put this statistic down to respect for referees, I put it down to just playing football, a game. It is just a game!

Im the first to praise a ref, and one of the last to slate a referee, but i must say the ref we had on Saturday (a 3-1 loss to Bridgerule) was one of the poorest ive experienced in my 10 years of adult football. The man in question failed to keep with the play, was failing to explain decisions to our side where he was explaining them to the home team. And as a player, i like to better myself as a player by taking the refs point of view on board, but that was impossible on Saturday.

Taking nothing away from how poor we were and how slick Bridgerule were, he really struggled and even as player manager, i found it hard to keep my team from walking off the pitch many times.

Consistency is lacking in the referee department, and its very disapointing to see. Incidently, watch out for young Ashley Phillips from our club, he will become a top referee, mark my words!