Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Combination League Results and Latest Table

Falmouth Town Reserves 0-3 Penzance Reserves (Liam Devine, Ashley Thomas, Bradley Wills)

Att - 41

Hayle Reserves 0-2 St Day (Dominic Pullen, Andy Dyer)

Att - 30

Holman SC (Adam Selley) 1-1 Penryn Athletic Reserves (Cody Cooke)

Att - 25

Illogan RBL (Andy Cowper 2, Paul Wolstencroft, Jason Roberts, Luke Abbott-Smith) 5-0 St Ives Town

Att - 50

Ludgvan 0-8 Helston Athletic (Reg Pearson 3, Neil Southall 2, Colin Kettle, Mike Halibone, Graham Blake)

Att - 18

Mullion (Ben Casley 2, Joe Lugg) 3-2 Porthleven Reserves (Steve Williams, Nick Perry)

Att - 70

Portreath P-P St Agnes

Troon 0-1 Newquay Reserves (Joff Bunt)

Att - 26

Wendron CC United Reserves 0-3 Perranwell (Tom Hogarth 2, Nigel Brabyn)

Att - 28

Latest Table

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2009%20table.htm

Holmans 1-1 Penryn

Holmans Goalscorer

Adam Selley

Att 25

Massive unexpected first point of the season for Holmans coming against league leaders Penryn. A tense affair at Blaythorne as neither side managed to create many clear cut goalscoring opportunities in the first half with Holmans best chance falling to the lively right winger Rob Press who blasted his shot into the side netting

Half Time 0-0

The 2nd half continued as the first with a mainly midfield contest although Holmans back 3 had to be sharp on a number of occasions.

In the 70th min Penryn took the lead with a cracking 20yd shot beating goalkeeper Adam Batchelor. Holmans continued to battle and were rewarded in the 84th min when Tony Eddy broke down the right wing reaching the goaline by the corner flag before crossing to find forward Adam Selley who shot the ball into the top left had corner. 1-1 Holmans had to withstand a last 6min backs to the wall Penryn onslaught conceeding 5 corners but holding out for the much needed first point of the season

League Table updated at:

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/holmanafc/113...league_table.pl

Haha thanks Dave if you would like to be available for the rest of the season that would be very much appreciated :D:D im a little bit tired after blowing out of my ass playing in midfield but although not the best in regard to the standard of football a highly enjoyable game to play in. Have to say a big thank you to Andy Parry and his lads for coming in after the game they are the most sociable side we have had all season and considering they must have been dissapointed with the result good on them! :D

You were not the only visitor we had a guy that had jumped on a train up country at 5am this morning to catch it too!! He's trying to watch 10,000 games before he is 60 and is up to 9,500 with 2 years to go!!! thats dedication!!!!!

A good game today at hayle who put in a terrific performance against a side who will be challenging at the end of the season.Full credit to dean mooney who has put together a local side of expierience and youth who competed well and were unlucky not to gain an excellent point due to 2 injury time goals from andy dyer and dominic pullen.Future looking bright for hayle with excellent performances from every player and gone forever the myth that no one capable of stepping up from the seconds and as i said before a pleasure to witness a local hayle side commited and encouraging each other well done boys :clapper:

Troon 0 - 1 Newquay

Newquay came out on top courtesy of a Joff Bunt header late in the first half in difficult conditions at Grouter Park. The heavy pitch and end-to-end breeze made for a tough battle and this game certainly wasn't one for the purists.

Newquay travelled with a team devoid of a number of key players, with captain Adam Weller absent and three other regular players unavailable. Newquay's side contained two players aged sixteen and with midfielder Shaun Lawrence starting on the bench due to injury, Newquay knew that they were in for a tough game. Troon have made a very positive start to the return to the Combination League and have proved very difficult to beat at home, as shown in their recent cup with against high-flying Helston.

Chances were few and far between in the first half until Joff Bunt expertly headed home from fifteen yards. Troon conceded a soft corner and Andy Harris was first to react, sliding an early short corner to TJ Newton, who angled a perfect cross into the path of centre-back Bunt who executed a pin-point header on the run.

The second half proved to be more of the same, with Billy Holland in the Newquay goal in imperious form. Firstly, Holland made a fine low save to his left when the ball appeared to be heading for the bottom corner, reacting quickly to the rebound to make another smart stop. With Lawrence joining the game with less than half an hour to spare, TJ Newton moved to right-back and almost immediately put through his own net, accidentally directing a goalbound effort that Holland somehow managed to tip over the crossbar with an outstanding reaction save.

Troon pushed forward and started to leave gaps at the back that Newquay were unable to expose, although youngster Dan Carne looked the most likely threat, with his neat footwork too much for the Troon players at times, including a poor challenge from behind that wasn't greeted particularly well by Carne's team-mates. Troon forced a number of late corners but were unable to breach Holland's goal, with central defenders Yendall and Bunt in great form at the back. With Newquay limited to brief counter attacks, substitute Shaun Lawrence managed to control a high ball from the goalkeeper 35 yards from goal and fired back an outstanding half-volley that sailed over the head of the retreating goalkeeper and inches over the bar.

Newquay battled until the end and were pleased to work their way to a solid victory with a depleted side. Credit to referee Andre Howes who had another fantastic game in the middle today.

Man of the match - Billy Holland - made two outstanding saves to win the game for Newquay.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Troon 0 v 1 Newquay

Having got up at stupid O'clock to travel from Canvey Island to Troon to catch this game, myself and Mrs Judge were firstly disappointed that the Met Office failed to deliver the last of the Indian Summer that they promised. Having left the blue skies some 350 miles behind, a welcome cuppa in the rapidily improving Troon clubhouse was much needed. A few hellos from the locals who remembered us from the PSF in August was the first of the many conversations and banter of the day.

The game itself was devoid of entertainment but thankfully, all 3 officials played their part in the proceedings and led to much mirth on the touchline and small stand. Some dubious offside decisions on both sides gave rise to banter between both benches and the small band of travelling supporters. It was to everyones credit, that the decisions were met with laughter and disbelief. Only 3 moments from the game itself that were worthy of note as descibed by Mr Rabone, Joffs cracking header, Billys wonder save and Shauns long range dipping shot. However, handbags were raised when young Danny Carne was brought down unceramoniously, Rafa and Pasty being the purveyors of Gucci accessories from Newquay. Again, normal service was resumed and friendly banter rounded off a game which will be forgotten as soon as you have read this. The ref was a breath of fresh air, always had a smile on his face and was stern enough to warn players about awearing without having to use his cards.

Troon have improved the facilities greatly even since our last visit in August, putting many SWPL 1 W clubs to shame. No food on offer today and strangely, no one came round asking for admission money, thats £52 they could have had. Plenty of advertising boards around the pitch and a lovely little sign above the small stand declaring it the home of 'Troon Army', nice touch that. A smashing club, nice people and if they can climb the table, would be a great addition to the SWPL in future years.

In summary, the game on the 2nd pitch ended 6-1, most of the 26 would have preferred to have watched that game !

Mullion 3 Porthleven 2

I've had a few hours to digest this result - yet I still cannot believe that Port did not get a point at the very least - and am still somewhat bemused by the abysmal decision making of ref Rigas Gat.....s.

Sorry to rant about a ref really and usually I'm quite diplomatic but in all honesty how he cannot have given a penalty to Port in the last minute I will never know. I think it was a case of one already given, and we weren't going to get a second! Rant over.....

To the game, first half was very dull, Mullion the better side to start and taking the lead, a free header from a corner for youngster Casley. After this as the half wore on Port began to assert themselves and Mullion faded, but in fairness Ports final ball and decision making was poor, and created little clearcut chances. Mullion went in 1 up at half time in an even first half.

The second half saw Port spring into life - looking a lot sharper against a Mullion side that battled for every ball the whole game. Although neither side played sparkling football, with Port pushing, there was always a chance of a counterattack. This was to be, as against the run of play Mullion scored again, aided by a very unfortunate deflection giving Jamie Gray no chance.

Port though continued to push, with Wadsworth and Perry having good chances saved, until a goal was pulled back. A ball crossed in saw a Mullion player fall to the floor, the ball hitting his arm as he was on the floor - which gave Port a somewhat debatable penalty. Steve Williams scored from the spot. At this point it was Port who looked likely to score again, and an equaliser did come. Keith Jacka crossing from the left, the ball then being laid off to Nick Perry who rifled a rocket into the top corner from 12 yards - a great strike.

I think most of the crowd felt that might be it or Port might even score again - but with a couple of minutes left, Mullion scored with an unstoppable effort from at least 30 yards - to be fair a goal worthy of winning any game. In the last two minutes Ports Chris Lawrence was sent spralling by keeper Rob Roseveare for a stonewall penalty - but the Continental style ref Rigas saw different and ignored the protests, however from this a cross found Jowan Shainberg via a deflection and he put the ball in the net - only for the linesmans flag to be raised - again debatable but I wasn't in line to comment...

A gutting result for Port - though I'm sure Mullion will think themselves to have the 3 points - but battled for the 90 minutes and probably were worth a point - but goals win matches!

Well done to Mullion- a club with good young local lads and good people supporting them.

My Port MOM - Dan Rowe - Class act today, looked very comfortable on the ball and read the game really well. Gary Richards and Nick Perry had good second halfs also.

Ref watch - Rigas G.........s - not his biggest fan here I'm afraid - to fussy at times for both sides and got the big decision at the death wrong. Supposed to be a ref of a higher standard but I do not know why 4/10

all credit to holmans today battled hard to earn the point, penryn created numerous chances today and if they took half of them could have won easily. but there you go thats football. miss chances lose mates (or points in this case)

i'm sure holmans will cause some more surprises this season!

good luck boys and thanks for the sausage and chips!

Guest Peppermint

Another great report from Mr Rabone - well done to the team for a great win - what a re signing Billy Holland has been.

Nice to hear about the new young lads who played some more young talent off the production line.

Well done Andy Bicknell and his team - the team are going well at the moment.

LUDGVAN 0 (0) V (1) 8 HELSTON

Helston deserved their victory against a very lacklustre Ludgvan. I have been out of action for a couple of weeks due to an accident I had, and I thought I would go along yesterday to see how we were progressing. It is difficult for the team at the moment because my speech is not great and it is difficult to get what I want across. The first half saw us battle hard although on the back foot for the majority of the 45 mins, the team managed to keep the score to one, however, it has to be said that the awayside missed a few chances and J in our goal made some outstanding saves.

With only one goal against I was hoping for a response in the second half and although we started brightly, the second goal seemed to drain the confidence from within the side and the flood gates opened. To be honest we did go for it when three down, and made several chances which Barry in the Helston goal was equal too, but we paid for being open and Helston struck on the counter. It was a wake up call for the squad, no excuses; we did not play well enough on the day. It is always going to be hard to get something out of these types of games but my ethos is to keep the score down and ensure the other team have had to work for their goals, yesterday several of the goals were given to the opposition.

Helston are a decent team, who are strong and are able to get the ball down, can see them finishing in the top 3 or 4 this season.

I know that this season will not be easy but I do believe that Ludgvan can survive, yesterday was a bad day at the office, and I hope the lads keep their heads up, and next week is another game.

ludgvan 8-0 helston

reg pearson 3

neil southall 2

colin kettle 1

mike hallibone 1

graham blake 1

att 18

ref watch 5/10

one nil at half time, second half ludgvan let slip and let helston through, great goals by blakie-20 yards drive, neil with two outstanding solo runs beating three to four defenders, and reggie with a fantastic header from 15 yards placed into the top corner. great battling side by ludgvan and if they can defend like the first half they will pick up points.

ludgvan 8-0 helston

reg pearson 3

neil southall 2

colin kettle 1

mike hallibone 1

graham blake 1

att 18

ref watch 5/10

one nil at half time, second half ludgvan let slip and let helston through, great goals by blakie-20 yards drive, neil with two outstanding solo runs beating three to four defenders, and reggie with a fantastic header from 15 yards placed into the top corner. great battling side by ludgvan and if they can defend like the first half they will pick up points.

I think you should look at your score!! :c:

michael, and the judge......match reports spot on from the Troon V newquay 2's game. if your missing a few regulars then the table doesnt do you justice, the back 4.........outstanding.

just like to add that i think the ref had a great game, letting the lino's make thier decisions....and right or wrong (mainly wrong!! lol) stuck by them, which is what all refs should be doing at all standards, too many times i've seen refs over rule lino's deciosns where clearly they have a better view, at the end of the day the refs are not that greatly qualified else they would be refereeing at a higher level, so they should take the lino's own "views" on deciosns and stick by them.

best bit of the whole 90 mins.....i think you'll agree.....watching Shaun come off the bench...and pick on the wrong person to gob off at, in shaner's!!! the expression "running away with his tail between his legs" came into my mind!!! LMAO!!